Options

Writers and actors may be on strike, but [TV] persists

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Like who gives a shit about Pip The Troll. Like how many comic fans are even aware of Pip the Troll.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    What's so disappointing with most D+ marvel shows is for me that the first third or even first half is often actually good and sets up interesting stories but then kinda all go downhill or just fall off a cliff, often when they remember that they're part of the MCU and have to work through their checklist of tie ins and standard plot points and set pieces.

Moon Knight really benefited from having barely a connection to the MCU and also just from having Oscar Isaac act the shit out of every episode. Still a not great finale but it kept being more interesting way longer than most of the other shows.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    nothing about the marvel cinematic universe is good*

*except for namor's stupid fucking ankle wings

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Like who gives a shit about Pip The Troll. Like how many comic fans are even aware of Pip the Troll.

Don't worry, thousands of youtubers will rush to the Marvel Wiki so they can throw up a "____ Ending EXPLAINED!" video to solve that for people.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I have read and enjoyed quite a few comics where Pip the Troll appears.

Pip the Troll kind of sucks!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I could have stopped watching Loki after episode 4, just imagined what happened after that, and been infinitely more satisfied than I was by the actual final two episodes.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I could have stopped watching Loki after episode 4, just imagined what happened after that, and been infinitely more satisfied than I was by the actual final two episodes.

But would your imagination have wasted a bunch of time setting up whatever the next movie is?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I still remember the halcyon days of early Marvel media where the connections to future properties were confined to post-credits stingers, just one per movie, and quietly weep.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

hey fuck you buddy

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    oh, the comic one

carry on

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    There's this recurring plot structure on various Star Treks, where the away team finds blood smears all over an empty space and they have to solve the mystery of how everyone died hard. Every time an episode does that, I suggest to my wife that the episode twist will be "nobody's in danger, this is just where blood-on-the-outside aliens live."

I have yet to be right.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    To be fair, that sounds like more of a Dr Who plot than a trek plot

• Options
    edited June 2023
    remember the doctor who where they are on a space station that has a machine that eradicates the need for sleep and then it turns out that’s a bad thing because sleep was the only thing preventing our eyeboogers from growing into monster men?

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

Holder of the Space Gem, Pip the Troll? He's great!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    remember the doctor who where they are on a space station that has a machine that eradicates the need for sleep and then it turns out that’s a bad thing because sleep was the only thing preventing our eyeboogers from growing into monster men?

Listen they can't all be winners.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mark Gatiss episodes are mostly a thing to be endured

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

well

I hadn't

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular

This is how Russian Sleep Experiment should have ended

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Anyone watching I am a Virgo? This is some beautiful absurd stuff.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I’m finishing up Barry season 4. I had taken a break after the first episode, and I’m just now going back to finish it. Up to episode 7 this season and… god damn.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tonight on our communal watching of Babylon 5, our group met Deathwalker.

But more importantly, we learned that you should never psychically probe the mind of a space-pimp.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I mean, yeah. Everyone knows that.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    But Black Dynamite!

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I’m finishing up Barry season 4. I had taken a break after the first episode, and I’m just now going back to finish it. Up to episode 7 this season and… ohwow.

• Options
    oh wow.

• Options
    Gonna start The Righteous Gemstones now. Gotta roll right into something a little less soul crushing.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Anyone else watching the new season of The Bear?

Its still completely fantastic, but a much gentler, much more quietly introspective show this season...until you hit the flashback episode six, where you go back to a Christmas five years ago at the Berzatto house. Holy shit, you guys...the entire episode should come with a trigger warning for anyone from a dysfunctional family. The whole thing was an hour of building stress and PTSD triggers: the episode's central conceit of "It's a holiday, so obviously Mom is going to go insane at some point and it'll be someone's fault (but not hers)" was gut-punching-ly familiar. And the only other actor I've seen pull off the absolute, unpredictable wonkiness of Borderline this well before was Meryl Streep, so I hope Donna
    played to perfection by special guest start Jamie Lee-fucking-Curtiss!
    nabs the Emmy, because she played it masterfully

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »

Its still completely fantastic, but a much gentler, much more quietly introspective show this season...until you hit the flashback episode six, where you go back to a Christmas five years ago at the Berzatto house. Holy shit, you guys...the entire episode should come with a trigger warning for anyone from a dysfunctional family. The whole thing was an hour of building stress and PTSD triggers: the episode's central conceit of "It's a holiday, so obviously Mom is going to go insane at some point and it'll be someone's fault (but not hers)" was gut-punching-ly familiar. And the only other actor I've seen pull off the absolute, unpredictable wonkiness of Borderline this well before was Meryl Streep, so I hope Donna

My wife and I watched that episode last night, have thankfully never had a family gathering like that, but yeah, it was super stressful. Afterwards I asked her the same thing about including a trigger warning. Great acting, but that was a tough episode.

This season has had some amazing guest stars too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If you want to watch one of the BEST and most awkward dinner scenes you’ll ever see

Watch Good Behavior.

@The Lovely Bastard knows what I’m talking about

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Visskar wrote: »
    mrpaku wrote: »

My wife and I watched that episode last night, have thankfully never had a family gathering like that, but yeah, it was super stressful. Afterwards I asked her the same thing about including a trigger warning. Great acting, but that was a tough episode.

This season has had some amazing guest stars too.

Yeah, I think a ton of A-listers watched/heard about this show when it first came out and told their agents to get them in it however, because almost every episode you run into an actor/actress (or in the "Fishes" episode, almost everybody in screen) who your first thought is, "Well, you obviously really wanted to be here to be here, because you could've easily been off making a million dollars instead"

• Options
    good behavior stars juan diego botto, the most beautiful man alive, so you simply must watch it

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    go5l3dtq55j8.jpeg

This show’s alright.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Car pranks

• Options
    I love Gemstones even when it casts my mortal enemy in a pivotal role this season.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I love Gemstones even when it casts my mortal enemy in a pivotal role this season.

i was absolutely going to ask how deacon frost be doing you

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    They stay in my good graces by counterbalancing my hatred of Dorff with my love of Shea Wigham.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I’ve been real busy with everything else but am still making time to say Nancy Drew is back for its final set of episodes and it’s the one CW show still airing in 2023 that I am going to truly miss (until Superman & Lois gets cancelled)

I’ve had a lot more fun with this gang than I expected to. Kennedy McMann is great and I’ll try my best to watch whatever she does next (I’m hopeful it’s not the Good spinoff, that’s the only real test I’ll have)

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The chemistry between Winston/Schmidt/Nick is almost unmatched in any other show I’ve ever watch.

They just play off each other perfectly.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Car pranks

This is what Mrs. TheJokerman says whenever someone does something stupid while driving.

• Options
    Also…I feel like he MIGHT be problematic but I do love Brian Posehn when he shows up in a show.

This discussion has been closed.