Options

Writers and actors may be on strike, but [TV] persists

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Also…I feel like he MIGHT be problematic but I do love Brian Posehn when he shows up in a show.

....What did he do?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Also…I feel like he MIGHT be problematic but I do love Brian Posehn when he shows up in a show.

....What did he do?

I don’t know! I’m saying that maybe there was something I’m forgetting but hopefully not. I can’t remember…

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

....What did he do?

I don’t know! I’m saying that maybe there was something I’m forgetting but hopefully not. I can’t remember…

Jesus Rajin don't scare me like that! I thought maybe he was like a TERF or a chud of some other variety.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

....What did he do?

Jesus Rajin don't scare me like that! I thought maybe he was like a TERF or a chud of some other variety.

Not that I know of!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Brian Posehn remains not milkshake ducked as far as I know

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This week represented a landmark for @The Lovely Bastard and I in our voyage through Melrose Place.

Sandy Harling (Amy Locane) has left the series and we could not be happier.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Brian Posehn remains not milkshake ducked as far as I know

As with any Gen-X comedian, perhaps don't revisit old material, but he seems by and large fine

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Brian Posehn was a writer on the Deadpool comic for a while. I haven't read his run, but I think I heard it was pretty good.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Brian Posehn was a writer on the Deadpool comic.

59j4n68bcwuu.png

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I heard that Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Diana would both be just fine if it wasn't for Brian Posehn. Just saying.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Lars wrote: »
    Brian Posehn was a writer on the Deadpool comic for a while. I haven't read his run, but I think I heard it was pretty good.

Well, it ended up being more Gerry Duggan's run, Brian Posehn co-wrote the first 12 issues or so and then Duggan continued it. It was a real good run though.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I finished up Season 2 of The Bear and that was a good season. Delved more into the character building than the business, with enough business to keep it going. I enjoyed it and was glad it didn't give me PTSD like the first season. And the Fishes/Christmas was fucked up, and reminded me of my family so there's that. I'm really looking forward to season 3 though.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Car pranks

Okay, okay, fuck. I got to "Them just some fellas I play car pranks with" and I had to step away to compose myself.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Car pranks

Okay, okay, fuck. I got to "Them just some fellas I play car pranks with" and I had to step away to compose myself.

Yep!

It's been a couple of years now, I can't remember the exact order of operations, but have you seen "Misbehavin'" yet?

• Options
    Car pranks

Yep!

It's been a couple of years now, I can't remember the exact order of operations, but have you seen "Misbehavin'" yet?

Literally just watched that scene and hot damn, that’s a banger and I’m going to be humming it randomly for a good while.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I have finished up What's Wrong With Secretary Kim?

If you have not heard of it, the pitch is:

After nine years as a secretary for the head of a multinational corporation, Kim Mi So decides to give her one month notice intending to explore what she really wants to do with her life. Lee Young Joon, the aforementioned boss, freaks out, because he's about to lose not only the perfect secretary, but also the only young woman who doesn't scare him. He decides the best way to get her to stay with him is to date her.

You might think that the power dynamics in that sort of relationship would make it very inappropriate, and you'd be right, but the show largely doesn't think so for reasons.

Apart from both starring Park Min Young, WWWSK and Her Private Life are quite similar.

Important commonalities and spoilers:
    Things In Common:
    - Boss and subordinate relationship.
    - Guy is very wealthy, lady is not and works to support her family.
    - Guy is largely a genius.
    - Lady is around 30 and hasn't really dated. Guy is her first boyfriend.
    - First real romantic kiss is around episode 8 (the middle of the series)
    - There is childhood trauma.
    - There is amnesia surrounding the childhood trauma.
    - Guy and Lady knew each other as children.
    - There is another man who pursues the Lady, and that man is a brother. She is not interested, it's not even a question for her.
    - There is a brief fight scene between other man and Guy.
    - Romantic date at a theme park.
    - Co-workers pair up.
    - Guy and Lady are wed and Lady's job largely facilitates Guy's job.

Of course a lot of those are just common romance fodder, but the childhood trauma/amnesia stuff showing up in both really tickled me.

Anyway, I have another series starring Park Min Young lined up and I am interested to see if she has amnesia in this one.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    The Bear, Season 2 full spoilers
    -Cousin Richie going from "annoying, backwards, utterly obnoxious racist shitheel with no discernable skills or talents, but he's a good dad, I guess" to "The show's moral North Star, and the main reason opening night goes off "without a hitch"" made me cry

- Carmy confessing to Claire (who he didn't know was there on the other side of the freezer) that he only knows how to enjoy punishment and Sisyphus-type-stuff, and that "nice things" made him uncomfortable was inevitable but heartbreaking

- Donna Berzatto being alive and well struck me out of left field, and (despite/because of how amazing Jamie Lee Curtis is in the role) I am horrified about her popping up next season and breaking everything in sight

- Pete, as always, is too sweet and kind for this awful world we live in

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Gargoyles in its entirety is on Disney Plus and I've been working through it. Just got to an episode where Demona summons Puck.

This show is so good and so much better than 'childrens cartoons' are.

It also has Captain Riker, Counselor Troi, Lt. Commander Data, and Keith David as regular voice cast.

Oh wait, Lt. Worf is in a bunch of episodes too.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Gargoyles in its entirety is on Disney Plus and I've been working through it. Just got to an episode where Demona summons Puck.

This show is so good and so much better than 'childrens cartoons' are.

It also has Captain Riker, Counselor Troi, Lt. Commander Data, and Keith David as regular voice cast.

Oh wait, Lt. Worf is in a bunch of episodes too.

The joke in the fandom, back in the day, was that they just set up a casting tent outside the soundstage where the TNG wrap party was held.

Oh, and Laura San Giacomo was Fox, uncredited because her agent thought being in a cartoon was a bad look. :\

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    crzyangocrzyango Registered User regular
    From season finale:
    At least they wave a hand at current mysteries and close them out.

Showing someone exit the Town gives just enough Lost vibe to make me watch next season, but if they dont get one it gives juuuuust enough to close it out ok.

Still hate cliffhangers, though.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    My only beef with Gargoyles is the world grand tour arc which, while really, really good in itself, completely sidelined the Manhattan crew for a most of the ride, and it that ride was long. Oh, and season 3 being a fuckbummer of a way to end the series on.

• Options
    However much time Walton Goggins spent perfecting his pronunciation of "ejaculate" in The Righteous Gemstones was well worth it.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Tonight I put some more time into the first season of The Good Fight.

Oh, what a treat, Mike Kresteva (Matthew Perry) showed up.

My only response, the only reasonable response, to that monster slinking into an episode?
    32156c53-31a2-41af-bf5d-6b543e31afb9_text.gif

I HATE HIM! I HATE HIM, IN MY BONES!!!

Zonugal on
  • Options
    It's wild that out of all the tv villains I love to hate, one of the absolute most memorable, revolting ones I can think of is literally just some guy who fuckin' lies with zero shame.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Ted Lasso S3 thoughts. I get the sense I didn't hate this one as much as some in the threads, but it certainly way underperformed compared to season 1.

Good:
    -Roy becoming a proper coach/mentor to the team and specifically to Jaime was good stuff. I appreciated he didn't backslide into just being angry at everyone for no reason, but also didn't completely change his personality. Choosing to join the Diamond Dogs (despite how annoying he finds it) because he finally values the men in his life hearing him out was the kind of wholesome thing this show is pushing ALL THE TIME, but this time it actually felt earned and appropriate.
    -Jaime's development was overall nice. There's some stuff that wasn't paced well or was too over the top, but Zava pushing him to be the star player on the team (in terms of being ultra reliable, putting the whole team on his back) vs just being the most selfish on the team made sense.
    -Rebecca's more business focused storylines were easily better than everything in season 2 for her. Unfortunately, that's not all they did for her. Her convincing rich sports owners to make a choice for purely moral reasons (and not having a strong money argument to counter what she was against) was very oil company silly, though.
    -I appreciated Ted remembering he was supposed to be a soccer coach occasionally this season. The visit to the American restaurant in Amsterdam was pretty funny (I'm... very uncertain about the "Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land" vision trip he went on after that) and him finally deciphering offsides in the series finale was a pretty solid bit (zero chance none of the other coaches noticed that fact as well, though). It was pretty convenient that a coaching technique from the 70s was enough to change the fortunes of their team, but I guess it's meant to be one of those things that's simple to understand and very difficult to execute, so it's not outrageous.

The part that was good about season 3 was taking Ted's path in life and philosophy seriously, delivering the finale where he positively affected the team (without making them the best team in the league) and having him move on to what was MOST important to him, his family. Ted being happy to coach kids again is a bit cheesy, but it's not terrible. You can imagine he could go back to coaching a more involved job once his son grew up more, it was more important to be there for him when he was very young.

Not Great, Ted!
    -Zava's performance was more amusing than annoying, but his intro compared to how he was on the team was not consistent. He was introduced as like the ultimate expression of egotistical Jaime. Believing he is the center of the universe and having the on-field skills to back that. Then when he joins the team, he's just a caricature of a head in the clouds hippy archetype. Then finally he leaves, but not really in a villainous way, it was like they simply stopped paying that actor to appear. Very, very strange.
    -Back in season 2, it seemed like they were going to build up Coach Beard's relationship into an over the top, toxic (but still humorous) disaster, and then he'd need to do something about that. Instead of that, it was just fine? And we were supposed to be happy about them getting married in the ending? Or at least okay with it? Seems like they forgot what they were doing with this at some point.
    -Speaking of Beard, I did find the backstory he revealed to Nate appropriate for his character... but he NEVER should have revealed that to Nate, specifically.
    -I do not know why they bothered to float a new romantic interest out there for Roy if he never seriously considered dating that person. Despite Roy supposedly being the reason he and Keeley broke up, his story was never about wanting to separate from her or changing as a result of no longer dating her. It was 100% about wanting to do different stories for her character, so it was very weird to "blame" Roy for it.
    -Regarding the supposed love triangle between Roy, Jaime, and Keeley, this was amateur shit. Roy never was bad enough to make people feel like he had now lost ground and Jaime, despite becoming a more pleasant character, never made any ground to regaining their relationship. I don't think successfully doing a more traditional love triangle would have made the show better, but they brought it up and forced it on us, so the least they could is execute on the premise, even a little bit.
    -Rebecca getting a magical future vision of a family and then having a no names romantic meeting with a handsome guy was... something? Did they just have the psychic thing to assure the audience she would end up happy, even if they didn't bother writing that happening? I would just presume the fictional television show character would end up happy because that's how they always end up writing it. Putting magical psychic predictions into the mix seems dumb, and not the genre this show is in. Although they do seem to get confused on that point from time to time, what with Santa Claus and defeating oil companies with singular sports game protests.
    -One of the only members of the team they really tried to continue building up in season 3 was Sam, and the "Sam battles racism (but just for one episode)" arc was pretty weak sauce. At least they gave up on pushing the Sam x Rebecca ship that was terrible.
    -The other member they actually gave time to was Colin. I feel they fumbled the ball here in a couple of ways. The coming out story was about a straight teammate who was violently acting out against him but wasn't homophobic? Uh... okay that's... something. No one on the team was homophobic? I feel like season 1 Jaime DEFINITELY was. Everyone was like "Wow, ONE guy in the stands said something homophobic? That's pretty messed up and upsetting, they should not be doing that." It's European football, I imagine thousands of people are SCREAMING those slurs every single game? That's been my experience with going to American sports... Finally, Colin is like, "I don't want to fully come out, I'm scared it will change things too much for me," but then he does come out after all and the show just... doesn't show the consequences. Not even the reactions of the other characters! Very oil company protest of them.
    -Trent is a pleasant enough presence, but he didn't feel like the same character exactly. He felt like he was just stealing Higgins' thunder and screen time, most of the time. I appreciated his and Colin's talk, but that was about it.

The part that was middling about season 3 was how they doubled the length of every episode just to spend more time with our (surely, they think) beloved characters, instead of developing the plot or the themes. The episodes weren't half an hour funnier or half an hour more complex, so they shouldn't have been half an hour longer. It's middling because at least they didn't just invent two terrible episodes out of 12 to fill up a time slot (that doesn't exist). All the episodes were "real" episodes this season, no bizarre anime fillers (I do not consider Amsterdam a pointless filler, even though it was the closest thing to that).

Bad:
    -Nate ends season 2 and begins season 3 as the anti-Ted Lasso. He's going out of his way to be cruel and has rejected everything Ted was going for in terms of recognizing people and caring about empathy over results. This could be an interesting clash between the two characters. Then... the show totally loses the plot of what it was doing with him. Now it's about, "Aww, Nate is mainly just misunderstood, will he ever find love???" And to go along with this, the team (after wanting to KILL HIM after watching the video of him destroying the "BELIEVE" sign) decides they like him again and go to ask for him to come back, without Ted's (or any of the other coaches') blessing(???). Then Beard takes Ted's message of forgiveness to heart and opens his soul to Nate which... no. Ted didn't JUST teach Beard forgiveness, he taught him trust and the value of male camaraderie. Nate needs to earn those things to receive personal information from Beard, and it's really screwed up that they did this. Also, the "break up" scene between him and Rupert that should have marked the big turning point in that whole relationship (if they wanted Nate to return from the Dark Side) was just offscreen and papered over? And it wasn't even about Rupert being a toxic, manipulative person who uses and discards people, it was about Rupert encouraging Nate to cheat on his brand new girlfriend? This... really sucks. It makes his turn seem deeply pointless and cheats us of what could have been the core conflict of the entire series, a cutthroat work place run by an abusive "genius" versus an empathetic, deeply humane workplace run by a total doofus (subject matter wise). Nate is unjustifiably forgiven for his cruelty and doesn't ever face the true reckoning of his choices. It makes the Scott Pilgrim movie mistake of saying a low self esteem character feeling better about themself is enough, without doing any work to make up for the BAD things that they did.
    -Keeley's plotlines fully fell off a cliff this year. They broke her up with Roy just to have new, terribly written love interests and love triangles and yikes... One of those woeful sitcom storylines where it's about their job, supposedly, but we never see them do any work or have any passion for what they're doing or anything like that. They just get a lot of scenes of entering or leaving an office building (or having chats in their office) without ever doing anything. It reminds me of late series Rachel (from Friends) plotlines, which is a horrible thing to be reminded of.
    -Thankfully, we lost anime filler episodes and direct movie homages this year (as far as I noticed). However, they also went way overboard with... cute elements? The team doing Sound of Music in the finale was AGONY level cringe. And Ted isn't even specifically a music theater lover! He likes all kinds of pop culture, he's frankly kind of a Michael Scott type who is just addicted to pop culture to the point where he has trouble making a point without making a too on the nose reference to some movie or show he watched. So why they suddenly made it Glee... yuck.

The part that was awful about season 3 was acting like they HAD to fill up time with endless mountains of crap plotlines that no one, not even the writers, would care about even one week later. Akufo will haunt Sam until the day that he dies! And that's... over now? For no reason?? Keeley hires a moron to work for her business and that blows up in her face. Oh well, she is now dating the primary source of their funding... and that blew up in her face. So the business naturally gets shut down. But wait a second... her friend is really rich! She doesn't have to learn anything from this, the lesson is, have a really rich friend to bankroll your idiotic endeavors, no moral.

I don't think the latter two Lasso seasons were so bad as to be like "Only watch season 1 of this, the rest is unbelievably bad!" as some shows get. But they were a pretty steep downgrade from the initial season.

Before my Apple trial ends, I'll be finishing season one of Severance. It's good, but hard to binge watch. The opening episodes ran me over like a mack truck, but it's become more human and easier to deal with since then.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Season 3 very much felt like the mashed and remixed the planned season 3-4 character arcs into something workable which is going to end up with some pacing issues no matter how well you do it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Season 3's standout pointless episode padding for me was definitely the "we paid for the rights to Hey Jude so you better believe we're gonna use the entire goddamn song" scene.

• Options
    Could have put it in the credits! but nope let's watch a bunch of lovable cockney rogues who inexplicably haven't been gentrified out of one of the ponciest bits of south-central london join in a spontaneous group Beatles serenade.
    ... S2 and S3 of Ted Lasso sets off all my worst curmudgeon instincts.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    tynic wrote: »
    Season 3's standout pointless episode padding for me was definitely the "we paid for the rights to Hey Jude so you better believe we're gonna use the entire goddamn song" scene.

Yeah, Beard describing the meaning behind the song and then making the moral of that talk, "So let's all sing along to this amazing song that we are right now listening to!" certainly raised my eyebrows. Product placement for a 55 year old song certainly is a... hip choice.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The most frustating part of Ted Lasso season 3 is that there are a lot of great moments, but the rest of the season doesn't match with it or live up to it. I do think the Amsterdam episode is the best of the season. I don't know if Rebecca's story in that episode should be in an episode of Ted Lasso, but both actors are very good in it.

Nate's storyline is the biggest flaw of the season when it should have been the real hook.

• Options
    I think none of the episodes of Ted Lasso Season 3 earned those runtimes and Nate's entire story in particular was flimsy as all hell.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I started watching New Girl for the first time and I'm just going to start yelling "Youths!" at the teens at work next semester.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    You know what show I just thought of that I feel didn’t get enough of a chance?

Telenovela

That show was great

• Options
    Today on The Good Fight I was introduced to Felix Staples, the vile twink who I simply hate.

Good lord, what an insufferable gremlin.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Now that season 2 of the Bear has dropped I finally went back and am watching season 1 for the first time. While it does set off some mild PTSD from my restaurant days, my biggest issue with the show is that it's making me absolutely desperate for a cigarette in a way that I haven't been in almost 20 years

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Today on The Good Fight I was introduced to Felix Staples, the vile twink who I simply hate.

God there are so many people to hate on The Good Fight.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Felix is incredible. Just a perfect skewering of a highly specific alt-right slimeball weasel with zero convictions.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

God there are so many people to hate on The Good Fight.

Truly a rogue's gallery that would make Dennis O'Neil envious.

• Options
    Alright…list of what’s worth watching on AppleTV

GO!!!

• Options
    Alright…list of what’s worth watching on AppleTV

GO!!!

Severance.

This discussion has been closed.