Options

Writers and actors may be on strike, but [TV] persists

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Here’s what I added to my list

The Crowded Room
    Severance
    Swagger
    Black Bird
    Silo
    Platonic
    The Last Thing He Told Me
    Invasion
    The After Party

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I already knew that I wanted to check out I'm a Virgo, but it just jumped up several places on the to-watch list

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I should probably watch Silo, I'm hearing good things and David Oyelowo is one of my favourite underutilized actors

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Life, don't talk to me about life."

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Raijin, watch Mythic Quest. It’s about as perfect as sitcoms get. Everything Ted Lasso has fumbled in trying to be a sitcom with a heartfelt core is something Mythic Quest has done better every step of the way.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Raijin, watch Mythic Quest. It’s about as perfect as sitcoms get. Everything Ted Lasso has fumbled in trying to be a sitcom with a heartfelt core is something Mythic Quest has done better every step of the way.

Oh yeah! I’ve been meaning to watch it

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    But Black Dynamite!
    shalmelo wrote: »
    I already knew that I wanted to check out I'm a Virgo, but it just jumped up several places on the to-watch list

it took me way too long trying to figure what this image had to do with popular Korean boy band BTS

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Alright…list of what’s worth watching on AppleTV

GO!!!

Dickinson
    Black Bird
    Central Park

In October is Lessons In Chemistry, which I'm excited about

• Options
    My wife chose first and she chose

“The Last Thing He Told Me”

It’s alright! I’m disappointed by Nicolaj Coster-Waldau’s performance.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    We just got appletv. We’re watching Bad Sisters right now, it’s not bad. The cast and locations are great. The overall insurance part is suspect.

Our list right now:
    Mythic quest
    Ted
    For all mankind
    Maybe silo

Also i loved prehistoric planet, but then it’s Attenborough + dinosaurs, so crack for me.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

The Crowded Room
    Severance
    Swagger
    Black Bird
    Silo
    Platonic
    Invasion
    The After Party

You should drop Invasion. It was the first thing I watched after finishing Ted Lasso while digging for other shows on there and it was not worth the time spent watching it. It's extremely slow, it's surprisingly boring most of the time, I hated nearly all of the characters early on and I hated most of them even more as the show went on and they kept making the worst possible decisions at all times. If you've watched a trailer for it you should know that whoever's behind it deserves to be tried in the Hague for making it look like a Sam Neill show.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The way everyone talked about The Bear I wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it is. Just got to the bit with the homemade Ecto Cooler

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I mentioned it a while ago but deadloch is an Australian murder mystery tv written by the two ladies who made the katering show a while ago, so at times it is funny as fuck and at other times it’s straight laced detective story.

My only real criticisms of it is, the cast is so large and broad I often have trouble keeping track of who is who and there are a lot cliche side characters who at times can be just too much. But I just love the setting of a murder mystery set up in a little tiny Tasmanian rural town.

Watch it if you want, it should be on Amazon Prime.

Blake T on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I’m really liking deadloch so far, but the wife character annoys the fuck out of me. I always want her out of scenes as soon as possible. It doesn’t help that she’s a stereotypical “I don’t want you doing your job” character in the show.

Mostly I just empathize with the main character, who seems to live in a town populated by absolute idiots. None of the surrounding characters feel like people, they’re just like…sketches of people who are there to do their bit.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Last night I finished the first season of The Good Fight.

Observations
    -- Delroy Lindo is my favorite performer of the season, cause, ya know, he's the best.
    -- Near the end of the season Rose Leslie's American accent started to get better, but the beginning of the series its rough in minute moments. Meanwhile Cush Jumbo's accent work continues to be marvelous.
    -- I'm so damn happy that Sarah Steele as Marissa Gold is our comic relief. She rules, I'm always rooting for her.
    -- It was very refreshing to get to see Paul Guilfoyle do some actual acting, once released from the DMV of procedural television, CSI. He's real good!!
    -- This sequel series to the Good Wife carries forward the strong traditions where I, as audience, mutter "Oh great, this asshole" at least twice an episode at the franchise's deep roster of bastards. Truly a menagerie of villains who swing between SLIMEY AS FUCK, manifesting the banality of inconveniencing your entire day, being the main character of Twitter, and occasionally being a true-and-proper comic book psycho who ("allegedly") killed his wife.

Very excited to see where it goes and, of course, I eagerly await for Michael Sheen to claw his way from another reality into the show.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    The good news is that, while a lot of things change dramatically about the structure and cast of The Good Fight over the next few seasons, Sarah Steele only gets more prominent and remains fantastic as Marissa Gold.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Sarah Steele was the best part of The Good Wife and she wasn’t even in that many episodes.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Ketar wrote: »

The Crowded Room
    Severance
    Swagger
    Black Bird
    Silo
    Platonic
    Invasion
    The After Party

You should drop Invasion. It was the first thing I watched after finishing Ted Lasso while digging for other shows on there and it was not worth the time spent watching it. It's extremely slow, it's surprisingly boring most of the time, I hated nearly all of the characters early on and I hated most of them even more as the show went on and they kept making the worst possible decisions at all times. If you've watched a trailer for it you should know that whoever's behind it deserves to be tried in the Hague for making it look like a Sam Neill show.

I'll second this. Invasion is big skip. Nothing really happens until the last two or three episodes. It felt like the entire show was a setup for the second season which after slogging through the first season I have little interest in watching. Add to that all of the characters were completely unlikeable.

I did however enjoy Foundation and am really looking forward to the second season coming in a few weeks. Slow Horses was fantastic too.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Just finished reading assume if Erica Henderson's work, so I was googling to see what other projects she'd been up to since Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and came across this:

ed81s5i5k7ym.jpg

Sounds like the strike is having desired effects!

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I didn't watch Invasion but I was fascinated by the reviews that said it's mostly watching people look at their phones. You would think, when nearly all Content feels created by committee these days, some executive would say this is simply not good television.

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I didn't watch Invasion but I was fascinated by the reviews that said it's mostly watching people look at their phones. You would think, when nearly all Content feels created by committee these days, some executive would say this is simply not good television.

the MCU stopped caring about making stuff that was good years ago.

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

No, that’s Secret Invasion. Which is bad in different ways.

• Options
    MCU is the definition of boring but safe. It’s not about being “good” or “bad” which is subjective. They’ve learned how to mostly sell movie tickets.

Even though that’s starting to slip quite a bit since they over saturated the market

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

No, that’s Secret Invasion. Which is bad in different ways.

I suppose I'm not surprised that as we run out of IPs to mine we're also running out of words for titles.

• Options
    Give me a VERY R rated Beta Ray Bill movie.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Yeah but Disney spam has the shape of something people want to watch. Invasion sounds like a bot trying to imitate a show that gets some critical acclaim but that nobody gets around to watching.

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    The way everyone talked about The Bear I wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it is. Just got to the bit with the homemade Ecto Cooler

more on this
    obviously the cut to the kids all passed out was very funny, but the first part of it that worked was Richie going "whoa that's actually fucking dope" then mournfully going "rest in peace, Harold" while touching the lid

• Options

more on this
    obviously the cut to the kids all passed out was very funny, but the first part of it that worked was Richie going "whoa that's actually fucking dope" then mournfully going "rest in peace, Harold" while touching the lid

I watched all of The Bear season 1 yesterday, and while I agree that it's funnier than I expected across the board, I will say that that episode in particular goes a lot broader with the comedy than most of the rest of the season does. The
    yard full of Xanaxed kids
    gag in particular wouldn't have worked tonally in any of the other episodes, imo, unless it was included as part of some BS story that Richie or Matty Matheson's character was spinning after the fact

Also this show is another example for my theory that if the vibe of a show is right, being spoiled about plot points in advance can actually be a good thing. I knew about how the season ended before I started watching, and while I think I would have been annoyed by it if it had taken me by surprise, knowing what the end point was going to be allowed me to notice and appreciate a lot of the subtle groundwork/foreshadowing that the show was doing as it built towards that finish

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Oh my god, I thought Uncut Gems was the most stressed out thing I've ever seen in my life, but Season 2 of the Bear, Fishes, might be even more so.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Oh my god, I thought Uncut Gems was the most stressed out thing I've ever seen in my life, but Season 2 of the Bear, Fishes, might be even more so.

If it's more stressful than S1 Ep7, I might not be able to take it. It took me at least an hour to shake off the nervous energy from that one

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I have noticed that this is a problem in a lot of scripts I read these days, with the problem more prominent within (but not entirely restricted to) younger writers. They live lives predominantly staring at their phones, they write stories that reflect that reality, and they never think about how goddamn boring it is to watch people stare at their phones.

It is the damnedest thing

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

I have noticed that this is a problem in a lot of scripts I read these days, with the problem more prominent within (but not entirely restricted to) younger writers. They live lives predominantly staring at their phones, they write stories that reflect that reality, and they never think about how goddamn boring it is to watch people stare at their phones.

It is the damnedest thing

Well, the complaint for years has been how many old plots don't work in a world where (smart) phones are ubiquitous, which is why so many writers have getting rid of them as a priority.

Now we're seeing scripts that actually use them like people do these days, and...

• Options

The next episode, Forks, made me tear up twice and wow this show is a real rollercoaster.

• Options
    I’m writing a movie where cell phones become sentient and take over human brains using real scientific information.

• Options
    I’m writing a movie where cell phones become sentient and take over human brains using real scientific information.

I’m stoned…maybe I should stop posting

• Options

Hard disagree. Post through it.

• Options

Hard disagree. Post through it.

Don’t worry. I always do

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The latest Futurama trailer features Alexa, cryptocurrency, and a pandemic.

Ugh

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings was a good series finale

• Options
    All right I'm just going to say what everyone is dancing around.

The Bear Season 2 is a fucking masterpiece and I grimly await the day it's wiped from the internet in a transparent attempt to recoup some amount of money to pay back some insane vulture capital debt.

This discussion has been closed.