Options

The reward for a good [Job] is more threads

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ahh.. the eternal conversation has started up at work again:

Why should lvl 2 / 3 system administrators track our time? What do we get out of it?

The best answer I can give is that it lets us know where the pain points are, and how much we expect issues to take. But everyone is always worried about management using it against us or whatever. Which.. is a culture thing I can't change.

I just want to get some idea of our work in progress... so I can help make things better.

Even if you want to use the data for good, the data will always be junk. Here's how it goes.

1. Ignore timesheet entirely, see if management complains.
    2. Ok, slap in 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 every Friday without paying attention to any of the settings.
    3. Ugh, fine, now it's all 8s assigned to whatever my department's generic timecode is.
    4. If that's not good enough, find one or two semi relevant project codes to mix in convincingly
    5. Oh there's some PM who is really on our butts about this, fine I'll half-heartedly try (the data will still be wrong because it's not like anyone can tell once it's not obviously a fabrication)
    6. No, no, this is getting billed to external customers. If you don't do it right you're getting fired. (At this point the data is goodish)

Ime management usually taps out at step 4.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    oh side bonus outcome:
    there are employee success/rating metrics attached, timecards are now meticulously fabricated to meet metrics

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah. My ideal world is getting slapped around in conversations on a discord I hang out on as well.. so it's likely a different path needs to be taken.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    A short term time study might be successful if tasks are generic enough. Track it for a couple of weeks and that's it.

I've considered doing that for my team but I know how much time the daily stuff takes and the not daily is too erratic for a short term study.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Like 50 principals are having an all day training in my library today. I've been hiding in my office painting warhammer models.

Not a bad day so far.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Orca wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »
    I'll need to figure that out since Kaiser is striking.

I'm in the same boat and since I need those jabs sooner rather than later decided I just had to suck it up and pay it all out of pocket at the pharmacy across the street from work. Doesn't help that my appt got cancelled when the strike started.

It's happening Tuesday.

Confirm they allow out of pocket.

We live in the worst capitalistic hell scape

@Orca

$110 for flu shot, $250 for Moderna booster (it's what they had, Pfizer might be cheaper) out of pocket. I'll submit it for reimbursement, so we'll see I guess. The tech said Kaiser was supposed to be letting them bill for those two vaccines but it was being denied every time they tried so far.

Every Kaiser location within driving distance only had openings for mid-November so this was what I had to do.

[edit]Any quotes following make sure to remove the Orca-signal.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    oh side bonus outcome:
    there are employee success/rating metrics attached, timecards are now meticulously fabricated to meet metrics

*Flashbacks to meticulous daily time keeping that had to be rounded up to the nearest 1/10th of an hour* i wasted so much time filling out those stupid forms and it was the only daily task that didn't have a code attached.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Saw someone post on twitter, "work email is turn-based combat" and honestly so true

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular

I'm in the same boat and since I need those jabs sooner rather than later decided I just had to suck it up and pay it all out of pocket at the pharmacy across the street from work. Doesn't help that my appt got cancelled when the strike started.

It's happening Tuesday.

$110 for flu shot, $250 for Moderna booster (it's what they had, Pfizer might be cheaper) out of pocket. I'll submit it for reimbursement, so we'll see I guess. The tech said Kaiser was supposed to be letting them bill for those two vaccines but it was being denied every time they tried so far.

Every Kaiser location within driving distance only had openings for mid-November so this was what I had to do.

Our region isn't even allowing scheduling, they ran of supply out within a week and now it's "we expect regular supply within a few weeks"

I got mine first day, partner waited and now will be waiting, well, who knows how long

Best healthcare in the world!

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    New World Book Encyclopedia just dropped.

rcxlfext3cdj.png

I really dig both the color scheme and the art style, especially after the frankly monotonous shark we had this year. I do not mind lanky spaceman and his robot dog at all.

You can kind of rearrange the volumes to spell "Weird Cock" by using the rocket contrail through the O in World as an E and flipping the other half of the O upside down to serve as the C, but the audience would probably have to be familiar with the original to be able to parse it.

Okay. So I do not remotely have the space or money to drop on a set of encyclopedias, but that set makes me really want to. That is really good.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Man, I looked up the price for that and there is just no way I can justify $1200 on that. Why is it so pricey?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah. My ideal world is getting slapped around in conversations on a discord I hang out on as well.. so it's likely a different path needs to be taken.

A better approach in your world is to list out general pain points, then go after one at a time with some level of time/motion to illustrate the waste in the process. You're more likely to see quick wins as you're not letting someone's lazy nonsensical entry or management's lazy, nonsensical analysis (or lack thereof) derail it. Alternatively, go provocative and say "how long should it take us to do X?" - ex. how long should it take for someone to deploy something to internal developments if it's an approved, trivial change? Then show what it actually takes and identify the pieces of the process you want to hack up/technology to change out.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Man, I looked up the price for that and there is just no way I can justify $1200 on that. Why is it so pricey?

They aren't pricing it for you, they're pricing it for schools and libraries to buy and make them bank

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »

They aren't pricing it for you, they're pricing it for schools and libraries to buy and make them bank

That is very unfortunate for me, specifically, though!

:neutral:

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Honestly, $1200 for a curated encyclopedia sounds cheap. Ignoring manufacturing costs and shipping costs, someone's gotta go through and edit, proofread, and make sure there is no wikipedia plagarism going on.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

That is very unfortunate for me, specifically, though!

:neutral:

Good news, this is the most expensive it'll ever be. Keep an eye out at book sales for the next several years, encyclopedias are worse than new cars in terms of long-term resale value.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Pellaeon wrote: »

It's happening Tuesday.

Our region isn't even allowing scheduling, they ran of supply out within a week and now it's "we expect regular supply within a few weeks"

I got mine first day, partner waited and now will be waiting, well, who knows how long

Best healthcare in the world!

Yup.

I forgot to make it official; Flu and Covid jabs get.

Steam
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    New World Book Encyclopedia just dropped.

rcxlfext3cdj.png

I really dig both the color scheme and the art style, especially after the frankly monotonous shark we had this year. I do not mind lanky spaceman and his robot dog at all.

You can kind of rearrange the volumes to spell "Weird Cock" by using the rocket contrail through the O in World as an E and flipping the other half of the O upside down to serve as the C, but the audience would probably have to be familiar with the original to be able to parse it.

Okay. So I do not remotely have the space or money to drop on a set of encyclopedias, but that set makes me really want to. That is really good.

You could save some money and just get the "V" book.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My assistant manager is going to start full time college classes, so I find myself looking for a new one.

No hard feelings about it, everyone should have the opportunity to do what she is doing.

I guess what I'm saying here is if we knew somebody who wants to make career strides in lower management at a company that gives a crap in central Florida then send me a resume.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    My assistant manager is going to start full time college classes, so I find myself looking for a new one.

No hard feelings about it, everyone should have the opportunity to do what she is doing.

I guess what I'm saying here is if we knew somebody who wants to make career strides in lower management at a company that gives a crap in central Florida then send me a resume.

We talkin' Winter Park here?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Honestly, $1200 for a curated encyclopedia sounds cheap. Ignoring manufacturing costs and shipping costs, someone's gotta go through and edit, proofread, and make sure there is no wikipedia plagarism going on.

At the same time though they feel like a relic of the past. They're valuable as a snapshot of history and culture as we know it in this moment but they get outdated in almost no time at all in a way that would only be of interest to people much further in the future who need "static" information.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

At the same time though they feel like a relic of the past. They're valuable as a snapshot of history and culture as we know it in this moment but they get outdated in almost no time at all in a way that would only be of interest to people much further in the future who need "static" information.

Except wikipedia can be edited by anybody and search engines are becoming less and less useful so its going to be beneficial to have a place where you can just look up facts.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The good news is that with the rapid decline of search engine integrity and the exponential growth in ai generated content, a curated hard copy of superficially fact checked data will soon be a must-have for every home and reference centre!

• Options
    Magell wrote: »

Except wikipedia can be edited by anybody and search engines are becoming less and less useful so its going to be beneficial to have a place where you can just look up facts.

Wikipedia can technically be edited by anybody, this is true, but a bad edit is not likely to stick around when you can see the changelog and those who try to make malicious edits get those edits reverted and are then banned. There's problems with Wikipedia but when it comes to fact checking I've found it very reliable and a great source of references for further research.

Search engines being shit is true though

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The good news is that with the rapid decline of search engine integrity and the exponential growth in ai generated content, a curated hard copy of superficially fact checked data will soon be a must-have for every home and reference centre!

Yeah, but I bet your fancy print encyclopedias don’t have plot summaries for every episode of Blossom.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2023
    c2aag49za8rq.png

tynic on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I have just decided that "The World Book people are engineering the enshitification of Google in order to make paper encyclopedias more popular again" is going to be my conspiracy theory of choice

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I have just decided that "The World Book people are engineering the enshitification of Google in order to make paper encyclopedia's more popular again" is going to be my conspiracy theory of choice

oh shit

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Wait, should the plural of encyclopedia be encyclopediae? It feels like it should be.

Or is encyclopedia already the plural, and a singular one is an encyclopedium?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Encyclopodes

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    look it up

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    In a book?

• Options
    A reading rainbow.

• Options
    A reading rainbow.

Was viciously murdered for being woke

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Encyclopodes

No, that's what we call individual articles on wikifeet

They! It's what they call them

I would think

• Options
    I quit editing wiki when I was having every edit I made reversed by editors who had claimed articles as their personal project and wouldn't allow anybody else to update them ever.

Steam
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

I don't think they're especially useful to have in the house the way they were in a pre-internet world, no. There's something to be said for serendipity and the stumble-upon effect in the life of a curious child, but probably not $1200 worth of something.

They're still good to keep around in most libraries, although if your budget is hurting it's fine to replace them every 3-10 years instead of yearly. Most school projects will call for at least one print source, and the World Book can be a tremendously helpful citation of last resort if a kid gets too weird and ambitious with their topic.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I don't think they're especially useful to have in the house the way they were in a pre-internet world, no. There's something to be said for serendipity and the stumble-upon effect in the life of a curious child, but probably not $1200 worth of something.

They're still good to keep around in most libraries, although if your budget is hurting it's fine to replace them every 3-10 years instead of yearly. Most school projects will call for at least one print source, and the World Book can be a tremendously helpful citation of last resort if a kid gets too weird and ambitious with their topic.

None of our school projects call for any print sources. All digital. While it is required for us to have an encyclopedia, our district buys digital ones.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Subordinate called out last this morning but didnt do it quick enough before the benedryl knocked me out. So I never got the chance to call in another guy and give him hours.

Should have just told the other guy to do it but fuck it.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    This thread was brought to you by that new job smell.
    The next thread is brought to you by that new job taste.

This discussion has been closed.