Options

The reward for a good [Job] is more threads

1979899100101103»

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I knew you wouldn't be able to hold off on making the new thread. You need it, you crave it!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I am striking the new job thread until an agreement can be ratified to lock the old job thread.

Posters have dedicated decades of their lives to the old job thread, and I don't trust the new management to equitably distribute likes and awesomes.

I trust I'll see you all on the lines.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I am striking the new job thread until an agreement can be ratified to lock the old job thread.

Posters have dedicated decades of their lives to the old job thread, and I don't trust the new management to equitably distribute likes and awesomes.

Fuckin' A right, comrade, I ain't no scab.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

There once was a union maid, she never was afraid
    Of goons and ginks and company finks and the deputy sheriffs who made the raid
    She went to the union hall when a meeting it was called
    And when the Legion boys come 'round
    She always stood her ground

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    just going to be management in that new thread.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

There once was a union maid, she never was afraid
    Of goons and ginks and company finks and the deputy sheriffs who made the raid
    She went to the union hall when a meeting it was called
    And when the Legion boys come 'round
    She always stood her ground

Man, I even know what gink means and the first time I read it here I still thought it was racist until I engaged my fucking brain.

What an excellent word.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Heard today on the desktop support line:
    "Right... click?"
    "Yes, click the mouse button on the right."
    "My mouse just has one big button and there's a spinny wheel thing in the middle of it."

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Heard today on the desktop support line:
    "Right... click?"
    "Yes, click the mouse button on the right."
    "My mouse just has one big button and there's a spinny wheel thing in the middle of it."

Oh I've run across way too many mac users who just flatly did not know right-click was a thing.

Infuriating

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ahh.. the eternal conversation has started up at work again:

Why should lvl 2 / 3 system administrators track our time? What do we get out of it?

The best answer I can give is that it lets us know where the pain points are, and how much we expect issues to take. But everyone is always worried about management using it against us or whatever. Which.. is a culture thing I can't change.

I just want to get some idea of our work in progress... so I can help make things better.

Give the people ownership of the problem and have them sort it out. Managements job isn’t to manage problems it’s to support people to do their job (or an job) and to see that they make their deliverables on time.

Sit down with them and see how they want to show their work completion. It might be with a weekly meeting, it might be one of those kanban boards or it might be with a timesheets. But it’s also telling them clearly, you want to know where they are on their work so you can support either with training, movement of responsibilities or with more resources.

Coming up and just asking management for more stuff doesn’t always work because resources are finite and you can’t always give them the resources they need at short notice, but if you know where people are in a project it is easier to see where to allocated resources longer term.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ahh.. the eternal conversation has started up at work again:

Why should lvl 2 / 3 system administrators track our time? What do we get out of it?

The best answer I can give is that it lets us know where the pain points are, and how much we expect issues to take. But everyone is always worried about management using it against us or whatever. Which.. is a culture thing I can't change.

I just want to get some idea of our work in progress... so I can help make things better.

Even if you want to use the data for good, the data will always be junk. Here's how it goes.

1. Ignore timesheet entirely, see if management complains.
    2. Ok, slap in 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 every Friday without paying attention to any of the settings.
    3. Ugh, fine, now it's all 8s assigned to whatever my department's generic timecode is.
    4. If that's not good enough, find one or two semi relevant project codes to mix in convincingly
    5. Oh there's some PM who is really on our butts about this, fine I'll half-heartedly try (the data will still be wrong because it's not like anyone can tell once it's not obviously a fabrication)
    6. No, no, this is getting billed to external customers. If you don't do it right you're getting fired. (At this point the data is goodish)

Ime management usually taps out at step 4.

I currently have two different projects and the generic office codes with each seveveral subcontract codes that each have up to 5 work phases that each have between 10 and over 20 different codes. These codes are not consistent between projects because the codes have been changed over time so an older project has different codes than a new project. also some the codes have overlap and just slightly different names for maybe different tasks? who knows.

Also in preperation for the time keeping law that is set to be introduced for over a year now over here I also have to check in and out in a different function of the program that only keeps track of attendance and that legally obligated breaks are maintained.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Wait, should the plural of encyclopedia be encyclopediae? It feels like it should be.

Or is encyclopedia already the plural, and a singular one is an encyclopedium?
    The word encyclopedia (encyclo|pedia) comes from the Koine Greek ἐγκύκλιος παιδεία,[12] transliterated enkyklios paideia, meaning 'general education' from enkyklios (ἐγκύκλιος), meaning 'circular, recurrent, required regularly, general'[5][13] and paideia (παιδεία), meaning 'education, rearing of a child'; together, the phrase literally translates as 'complete instruction' or 'complete knowledge'.[14] However, the two separate words were reduced to a single word due to a scribal error[15] by copyists of a Latin manuscript edition of Quintillian in 1470.[16] The copyists took this phrase to be a single Greek word, enkyklopaedia, with the same meaning, and this spurious Greek word became the Neo-Latin word encyclopaedia, which in turn came into English. Because of this compounded word, fifteenth-century readers and since have often, and incorrectly, thought that the Roman authors Quintillian and Pliny described an ancient genre.[17]

So, I would say, do whatever you feel like. Like, everyone else before you already did with the word.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    there's an episode of Trailer Park Boys where Ricky buys a big set of encyclopedias so his daughter can be smart and then has to kiss an old man's butt

what a great show

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My workplace is two and a half months out from changing the ERP and all of the attached inventory stuff, changing almost everything, including switching three warehouses from using paperwork to pick orders to using hand held scanners and a shit ton of other stuff

And it's still closed door big shots testing things

None of the warehouse staff have even seen the new hand held scanners or the new inventory system

Wild

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    My workplace is two and a half months out from changing the ERP and all of the attached inventory stuff, changing almost everything, including switching three warehouses from using paperwork to pick orders to using hand held scanners and a shit ton of other stuff

And it's still closed door big shots testing things

None of the warehouse staff have even seen the new hand held scanners or the new inventory system

Wild

I know of a few projects at my company with the same testing strategy, it ends up being a disaster because management doesn't consider any edge cases. One was in the works for 6 months before the actual programmers were involved and they had a 2 month deadline (it was 4 months late rolling out and another 3 working out issues for some reason...)

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Supposed to fly out today.
    5s20o0anr7t7.jpg
    It is very windy, prognosis not looking great at the moment

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    It's absolutely wild, this will change literally everything related to the supply chain, and it's still in closed door testing

The amount of training this requires is mind boggling, just with the new interface

And that's not including training several hundred people on new equipment

Leadership did not renew the contract with the current system, so it's happening on January 1st, ready or not

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    So weird brain thing yesterday. Halfway through the afternoon principal training thing in my library I realized that my top library boss was in the meeting. They go in groups to different teachers in the building to observe and provide feedback. The training was actually how to coach teachers so they only went to out good teachers who didn't actually need any coaching just so they could learn how to do it. My boss went to one of the freshmen history teachers. That teacher, once he found out that the person coaching him was in charge of all school libraries, proceeded to sing my praises to my boss about my World War One lessons and such. When my boss came back she then told me how great of a job I was doing and how amazing I am as a librarian.

This triggered my imposter syndrome HARD. Like I feel like I'm barely surviving this school year and my brain decided to make me sad and depressed. Also didn't help my brain that she offered her condolences for my mom.

Like, fuck off brain. Let me take a compliment without reacting wildly in the other direction.

Once I got home an ran a few miles, I managed to beat up my brain to tell it to knock it off, but it was a sucky several hours.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.