Options

scariest animal you could probably kill in a fight

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You think you trained for every possibility until you end up in an arena with Zombie Cyborg Farley.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    update: got a few!

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    You think you trained for every possibility until you end up in an arena with Zombie Cyborg Farley.
    He's also trained

Beverly hills ninja

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    see317 wrote: »
    What monster could you take in a fight

Certainly not a dracula

Maybe a Frankenstein?

Are we allowed equipment in the monster fighting arena?
    How much time do we have to prepare?
    What time of day is it? Cause I'm 50/50 on taking out a werewolf at high noon when it's just an ordinary dude.
    But, midnight on a full moon? Not so much.

No items final destination

The wolfman is human form but is also jacked like a Hollywood Chris

I could kick Christopher Plummer’s ass.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    What monster could you take in a fight

Certainly not a dracula

Maybe a Frankenstein?

Are we allowed equipment in the monster fighting arena?
    How much time do we have to prepare?
    What time of day is it? Cause I'm 50/50 on taking out a werewolf at high noon when it's just an ordinary dude.
    But, midnight on a full moon? Not so much.

No items final destination

The wolfman is human form but is also jacked like a Hollywood Chris

I could kick Christopher Plummer’s ass.

Oh no he tagged in Christopher Lee

You're fucked now!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    aGzqOA5_700b.jpg
    That looks like a baby giraffe, so how does a adult giraffe fare against a random drunk Khazak guy?
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/drunk-man-rides-giraffe-at-kazakh-zoo/ZCRX3FXY6L5SBOF7WK4NINYJIQ/
    The animal had been standing close to the fence before the man, who local media said was drunk at the time, climbed the fence and began to stroke the animal's neck.

He reportedly said "he is my brother" as he entered the giraffe's enclosure.
    Video shows the giraffe remaining in place as the man then scrambles on to a wooden plank and vaults the fence to land on the animal, which walks away from the fence with the man on its back.
    Hanging on proved to be a tall order for the intruder, who was swiftly thrown from the beast before scrambling to escape the enclosure.
    The incident is proving a pain in the neck for local police, who are yet to find the man despite the video of the incident going viral online.
    Giraffe: 1 Drunk guy: 0 (but half a point for moxie) Police: 0

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    At this point I’m more inclined to figure out which animal can kill me the absolutely quickest and least painfully and then just go seek one out.

Probably some kind of venom?

Blue whale

Dropped from a height

I know someone who got a terrible concussion because a dog fell on her head.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    My sister is convinced that even a relatively small dog (eg a 30 pound pincher) would win in a fight against an adult human. I can believe that she is right for normal situation (though presumably there's actual data on this), I'm sure many people are too shocked and scared to fight back before it's too late. With proper mental preparation and a little training I think I could take out most reasonably sized dogs though, even unarmed. A bite on the throat would probably be swiftly lethal, but if I can avoid that I imagine it would inevitably become a wrestling match where my superior weight, reach and limb strength would allow me to pin them and choke them out or break their neck. I might bleed out soon after if they got a good bite in, but surviving isn't part of the assignment.

The mental preparation bit is key though. I'm somewhat scared of dogs so this is a scenario I can't help but picture from time to time, but I have no idea how I'd actually react if one attacked me.

Alt answer: If we're talking scary animals, I'm sure I could kill every spider and almost every snake. In both cases I might get a lethal bite, but again, survival is not part of the assignment.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The advice I've seen about dogs is to force their front legs apart, which restricts the expansion of the ribcage and inhibits breathing

However, this was advice regarding how to stop them humping your leg, which suggests that the dog is preoccupied on other matters

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I suspect that if an angry golden retriever decided to fuck you up, it would, but that if you were truly psychotically enraged you could probably kill it while sustaining some grim injuries at the same time

Wolf? Doubt it. Bear? No way. Giraffe? Man I reckon a Giraffe could even kill a Bear maybe. Never mind a human. If nothing else it could just knock you over and stand on you and you're crushed to death. It could kick your head clean off.

• Options
    I wonder if it would be possible to kill some of the more serious predators through a strategy similar to endurance hunting.

The plan is built on the assumption that most predators A: don't actually want to fight you and B: are built for ambush hunting and thus don't have a lot of stamina.

Step 1: Pursue and annoy the shit out of the predator. Ideally they are territorial enough to hang around and do their best to scare me off, otherwise I might need strider-level tracking skills.
    Step 2: Eventually the predator will be tired and/or annoyed enough to attack me. My hope is that even though they would easily kill me in a fight to the death, they won't go all in since they just want me to fuck off. The goal here is to do some damage to them and then disengage. It might be worth it to coat my blades in something awful to increase the odds of their wounds getting infected.
    Step 3: Treat my own wounds and then continue pursuing the predator. There should be a blood trail to follow, and even a minor wound could be lethal in time.

Repeat until one of us is too weak to fight.

I'm not sure which predator it would be most effective against. Their behaviour is probably more important than their physical strength, I imagine it could actually work for something like a black bear but might not against smaller animals that are more likely to enter kill or be killed mode.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    myself

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    40 to 50 enraged chickens. I think my powerful sweeping roundhouse kicks could take out about 5 to 6 at a time. The rest I would have to Wing Chun out of the air with extreme precision.

The danger here comes from chickens latent velociraptor DNA and their tendency to fight in packs. You run the risk of being overwhelmed. Throw some roosters into the mix and you've got a real knuckle cracker dust up.

I fought a rooster once. They're bastards of a certain order slightly below "methhead with a kitchen knife" but higher than "runaway electric pushmower".

Juggernut on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    myself
    Would you consider yourself a scary animal though?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    I could fight a lot of babies

DE1ekNx.jpg

edit: I would have posted the whole statue but that dude hangs dong and I wasn't sure if artistic weiners were allowed

Depressperado on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Vigeland Park rules

• Options
    I think Tommy pickles could kick my ass

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Male giraffes weigh a literal ton on average. A bump would knock you on your ass and they ain't gonna be bumping you. And even if they're not super fast, they're so long that you're not getting out of range before you catch a piece of something heavy and hard

Is this thread still about fighting giraffes..?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I suspect that if an angry golden retriever decided to fuck you up, it would, but that if you were truly psychotically enraged you could probably kill it while sustaining some grim injuries at the same time

Wolf? Doubt it. Bear? No way. Giraffe? Man I reckon a Giraffe could even kill a Bear maybe. Never mind a human. If nothing else it could just knock you over and stand on you and you're crushed to death. It could kick your head clean off.

My Germanic ancestors were so afraid of bears that they wouldn't speak its name for fear that it would appear. Thus the euphemism "bear" (either "the brown one" or "the wild animal"; linguists disagree) and kennings such as "Beowulf" ("Bee-wolf" = "Bee-predator" = "Hunter of bees" = "Bear").

The actual name of the animal is (watches over shoulder, whispers) arkto, whence we get the word "arctic": "land of the Great Bear" (the constellation Ursa Major).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

My Germanic ancestors were so afraid of bears that they wouldn't speak its name for fear that it would appear. Thus the euphemism "bear" (either "the brown one" or "the wild animal"; linguists disagree) and kennings such as "Beowulf" ("Bee-wolf" = "Bee-predator" = "Hunter of bees" = "Bear").

The actual name of the animal is (watches over shoulder, whispers) arkto, whence we get the word "arctic": "land of the Great Bear" (the constellation Ursa Major).

I wonder what the K/D ratio for bears vs humans is. I'd assume it's far from the top but still surprisingly high.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    To my Iron Age ancestors, a bear would probably be nigh-unkillable unless properly prepared.

Arrows would only anger it. Swords would require you to get too close. You'd be hard pressed to force a spear far enough into its body (and in the right location) to do any real damage, and even then it would probably have time to kill you.

I would guess either traps, or while the animal is hibernating. Both of which require preparation and fore-thought. (I believe there is some evidence that cave bears where killed while they were hibernating.)

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2023
    Vic wrote: »

I wonder what the K/D ratio for bears vs humans is. I'd assume it's far from the top but still surprisingly high.

Much like wolves, we've slaughtered the scarier ones to near extinction in most areas we live in even slightly.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Yeah my "probably a medium-large dog" statement is based on the caveat that you're allowed a decent knife and an assumption that I might not have a functional left arm after the fact

• Options
    Vic wrote: »

Much like wolves, we've slaughtered the scarier ones to near extinction in most areas we live in even slightly.

True, but we've coexisted for more than a hundred thousand years. From what I understand we tend to kill off most large animals in whatever biome we colonize (particularly notable in the fossil record of south america and australia), the fact that we didn't manage to wipe out bears before the modern era probably says something about how the matchup went before the invention of gunpowder. For all we know the germanic superstitions about bears could literally have come down as oral tradition from our stone age ancestors.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Finns used to have a big funeral whenever they had to kill a bear. Everyone would talk about how sad they were the bear had fallen into a pit or had some other kind of fatal accident, because you don't want even a dead bear pissed off at you. In other traditions, a young man or woman would be symbolically married to the dead bear so that the ghost would protect its new family instead of seeking revenge on its killers.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Honey, I Married a Ghost Bear coming next fall to ABC

Juggernut on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Juggernut wrote: »
    40 to 50 enraged chickens. I think my powerful sweeping roundhouse kicks could take out about 5 to 6 at a time. The rest I would have to Wing Chun out of the air with extreme precision.

The danger here comes from chickens latent velociraptor DNA and their tendency to fight in packs. You run the risk of being overwhelmed. Throw some roosters into the mix and you've got a real knuckle cracker dust up.

I fought a rooster once. They're bastards of a certain order slightly below "methhead with a kitchen knife" but higher than "runaway electric pushmower".

I assure you, no amount of DNA of any kind is going to give a chicken enough brains to actually “fight in packs”, rather than come at you with an eye for defending territory as haphazardly as possible.

Now, cuckoos, on the other hand, are the most vicious and well coordinated pack-hunting beast on land… and in the air, as this high resolution documentary footage can attest to.

https://youtu.be/OjvxNHR00X8

sarukun on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

I assure you, no amount of DNA of any kind is going to give a chicken enough brains to actually “fight in packs”

spoken like a man who's never been hunted across an island by a pack of chickens

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

I assure you, no amount of DNA of any kind is going to give a chicken enough brains to actually “fight in packs”

spoken like a man who's never been hunted across an island by a pack of chickens

You have just described every man.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

you haven't seen the things I have

squawks at twilight. bacawks in the dark...

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

do the chickens look like this?

my-life-sitcom-called-funny-dance.gif

• Options
    Humans are pack animals. Feels like I should get to team up with a few buddies, no? I believe by ancient custom I am allowed a krantt.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Hens are normally quite docile.

But there is a reason cock fighting is a blood sport.

[Expletive deleted] on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Human bloodlust and cruelty?

(But yes, an angry rooster may not kill you, but you're gonna have a bad day.)

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Human bloodlust and cruelty?

(But yes, an angry rooster may not kill you, but you're gonna have a bad day.)

Probably will prefer to fight other roosters over you, though. You’re never gonna need to fight off a horde of cooperating roosters.

• Options
    Yall apparently haven't ever seen a bunch of hens dog pile onto something in Chicken Frenzy™️.

Hell, sometimes the dumber ones will try to square up. We haven't had chickens in a while but I definitely remember having a few that would step to me when I went to get eggs like they were gonna throw down with me, a large and angry man.

Fake edit: here's an example of them giving a hawk The Business. Hawk is fine but definitely she'll shocked.

https://youtu.be/2bAvFzPIMEE

Also roosters will fight just about anything they are not picky.

• Options
    Roosters are quite cocky.

• Options
    Cock of the yard, if you will.

• Options
    I feel like I told the story here but my mom adopted a real bastard of a rooster from somebody at her church because my mother is a Saint and runs what I can only describe as a chicken retirement facility. She told me she had to fight him off with a stick to feed him because he was a real bastard.

So I was like, I will go assert my dominance over the chicken and correct this behavior. I go down and open the coop door (which is raised so you have to step up about 2 feet to get into it) and this absolute fucking APC of a chicken turns around and slowly draws up to his full height, looks me dead in the fucking eyes, face to face, before spreading his wings out and falcon kicking at me with his velociraptor spurs.

I had this twiggy branch as my only weapon and it took several hellacious THWACKS across his mean mug to get him to retreat to the corner.

In conclusion: There are only two types of roosters: dumb idiot babies and HATE FUCK MURDER FUCK SHIT FUCK KILL MACHINE

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular