Options

JRPG or Junior Residential Parent Group

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Madican wrote: »
    A new Breath of Fire would be so good.

I want to turn into a dragon and have a living onion as a playable character again!

That's just Dark Souls with dragon covenant and onion bro

Well I suck at Dark Souls! I rule at JRPG’s!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2023

I want to turn into a dragon and have a living onion as a playable character again!

But Dark Souls is a JRPG. You punch god in the face and everything

Madican on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    If they did make a new BoF is should be a more action-y version of Dragon Quarter.

Like have the fights be hard like Dark Souls or something when you're in human form. But if you just want to easy mode murder people transform into your dragon form.

Also make add some demi-form. It'll be stronger than your human form and give you stronger options but it won't raise your dragon counter. But have it be tied to like a meter.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I'm gonna be real, if you can beat ender lilies, you can 100% beat DS1

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I platinumed Ender Lilies… maybe I should try again

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Honestly Souls games are more about patience than anything. Once you can see the pattern you're half way there.

It's just how many deaths before you get there.

Dragkonias on
  • Options

it's a very different playstyle, but ender lilies is way mega harder than DS1

• Options
    I think I just need to approach DS differently than I do.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Hmm...something I've been thinking about.

I wonder if Scarlet Nexus will get a sequel.

Game was actually pretty decent and from what I heard sold well for a new jRPG.

Dragkonias on
  • Options

ds1 is all about caution and being a big coward

also constantly laming it out

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Approach DS differently by playing Elden Ring instead. Not fundamentally different than DS, but gets rid of a great deal of the tedious bullshit.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

What

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    captaink wrote: »
    Approach DS differently by playing Elden Ring instead. Not fundamentally different than DS, but gets rid of a great deal of the tedious bullshit.

ER is a wildly more difficult game than DS1 is

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

The best mentality to have when playing Dark Souls is “we take those”

AI breaks or gets stuck? We take those

Enemy can’t respond to ranged attacks? We take those

Summoned partner does the whole fight for you? We take those

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options

I loved Elden Ring. I could over level and play my way.

I’m just very aggressive. I run in and attack instead of taking my time.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I know most folks will go “but parrying is mostly useless!” but the thing that actually brought the combat into focus for me in dark souls was going up to the first hollow outside firelink shrine and just practicing parrying for like 15-20 minutes until I could practically do it in my sleep.

You don’t even need to parry after that point but just getting a very good feeling for the awkwardly paced swing timings in these games does wonders for figuring everything out.

Then you get the biggest fuck you sword and the heaviest armor you can find and go dunk on things

• Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

The best mentality to have when playing Dark Souls is “we take those”

AI breaks or gets stuck? We take those

Enemy can’t respond to ranged attacks? We take those

Summoned partner does the whole fight for you? We take those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmRXFTehbAU

TARKUS
    Baidol wrote: »

What

DS1 is not a hard game

• Options
    Baidol wrote: »

What

Ender Lilies has a zone where goddamn every enemy can teleport at will and they're never alone. This is on top of constant ranged assaults

Coincidentally that's also where I ended up dropping the game because it was feeling like another Souls-like that didn't understand why Dark Souls is good.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I’d say this is true on the whole, but the accessibility of Elden Ring is higher

The variety of play styles and options you have in ER (including leaving to go somewhere else) really makes it easier for a lot of people to get into that style of game

DS1 is much more linear and prescriptive about what you have to do to progress and what options you have early on, and that can make it feel more difficult even though I think it’s probably close to the easiest of those games

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I can't get into parry in Souls games just cause it goes against how I've been conditioned to parry in almost every other game that I would have to rewire my brain to do it.

• Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

I’d say this is true on the whole, but the accessibility of Elden Ring is higher

The variety of play styles and options you have in ER (including leaving to go somewhere else) really makes it easier for a lot of people to get into that style of game

DS1 is much more linear and prescriptive about what you have to do to progress and what options you have early on, and that can make it feel more difficult even though I think it’s probably close to the easiest of those games

I mean yeah, ER has gained a lot of quality of life features over a decade of learning, but it is still more challenging in actual gameplay

DS1 is by far the easiest for new players, DeS is the easiest if you know all the massive bullshit you can do in it though but has some absolutely nightmare shit for new players to deal with

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I can't get into parry in Souls games just cause it goes against how I've been conditioned to parry in almost every other game that I would have to rewire my brain to do it.

be a big chonky lad or a wee nimble dodger

• Options
    Metroidvanias are a genre I play constantly so any game in that style I’m going to most likely be very good at.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Well, yeah, you have to successfully manage your time and skills around a chaotic hospital while evading the insatiable bloodlust of a murderous helicopter.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

be a big chonky lad or a wee nimble dodger

Oh I'm playing Elden Ring rn(took a break for Final Fantasy) and I've just been running around with a strength build hitting things with my broadsword.

• Options
    Never learned to parry in Dark Souls it's completely insane what is parryable and when it is parryable for all but the most telegraphed and slow attacks.

Like I can parry Undead Soldiers or whatever fine, but who cares? They're easy on any build. But as soon as it's an actual tough enemy? Fuck no. Block and counter, dodge and stab them in the butt, stay away and zap with magic: all more reliable playstyles.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Well, yeah, you have to successfully manage your time and skills around a chaotic hospital while evading the insatiable bloodlust of a murderous helicopter.

I still can’t get past The GeorgeClooney Duo

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    I considered getting Elden Ring during the Steam Summer sale.

But I still have Dark Souls 1 (The very very very bad port version) and 3 sitting in my backlog.

I figure I should play those first and see if I even like that genre.

RT800 on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

But I still have Dark Souls 1 (The very very very bad port version) and 3 sitting in my backlog.

Dark Souls 3 is where I'd start. DS1 is obtuse and janky even by Souls standards.

Anyone following this Persona 5 Tactics thing? Looks interesting?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »

The DS1 original port is really bad. It should give you some kind of built-in discount on the Remastered version, but that may have been a limited time thing. I haven't played DS3 so I can't tell you whether or not to play that.

ER is really really good though.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hello I have come to say Bloodborne is the best one. I’m under contract from the Moon Presence, I just gotta.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ER > Sekiro > DS3 > DS2 > DS1 = DeSo

Imo.

Never played Bloodborne and it's too late for me now so I'll never be able to place it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Thinking about how Tactics Ogre needed an ending where you abolish the monarchy

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Thinking about how Tactics Ogre needed an ending where you abolish the monarchy

I’m not gonna make it any time soon because I don’t have the right resources (only got a phone and iPad), but I really want to make a tactics game where you start a revolution and kill the evil king, then establish a democracy. It makes so much sense to me and matches up well with slowly gaining characters over the course of the game.

I’m embarrassed to say I’ve drawn up all the maps and have the game mechanics now in a notepad.

I dunno, just seems obvious but all the tactics games I like end up being about the good nobles vs the bad nobles (and the evil dragon they summon).

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Because democracy is hard when some people can summon city destroying dragons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You’re right, they’ll have to secretly build a mech-knight named Union!

6lf04hfftf44.jpeg

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    holy shit serpents did you draw that

that's rad as hell

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Divine right of kings certainly has more credence when the king can turn into a giant godlike entity

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

that's rad as hell

Gosh no. That’s by an artist that goes by ‘mony pich’ / ‘only mony’.
    Divine right of kings certainly has more credence when the king can turn into a giant godlike entity

The ability to irradiate a five mile stretch of land with a blinding beam of nuclear laser-fire is poor foundation for a government.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

that's rad as hell

Gosh no. That’s by an artist that goes by ‘mony pich’ / ‘only mony’.

The ability to irradiate a five mile stretch of land with a blinding beam of nuclear laser-fire is poor foundation for a government.

True, but a great argument for one.