Options

JRPG or Junior Residential Parent Group

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Started up Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and this world setting just in the opening cutscene is very interesting. It's taking the concept of EXP from kills and making it infuse the whole world. Every kill takes the "flame" of someone else's life and adds it to your own, or in this cutscene to one of the two giant robots on the field with armies clashing in between. And while the robots clearly have enough power to blow up the whole battlefield they're deliberately avoiding a killing blow to the other, because the goal is not to win the battle but to harvest as much life as possible from the other side, so when they shoot at each other it's to disable not kill.

The narration even says this fight is not for resources like food, water, or land. It's all to acquire lives.

That's neat! Utterly horrifying but neat!

Madican on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Making the special 8th chapter of Live A Live a bog-standard fantasy JRPG sure does slow it down. I hope I'm almost done with it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's just funny in Tactics Ogre because someone taking the throne is really kind of the only solution presented

• Options
    edited July 2023
    So far in XC3 it looks like only other sentient races have the "life" needed for absorption. (Edit: Nope monsters have it too.) And there's been several different colors of it which probably has significance I'm not aware of yet.

Red is for being killed violently, blue or maybe white is when being laid to rest properly after being killed but in a way their life couldn't be absorbed, and gold has only appeared once but looks like it's when giving up life voluntarily to someone else.

Madican on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Thinking about how Tactics Ogre needed an ending where you abolish the monarchy

I’m not gonna make it any time soon because I don’t have the right resources (only got a phone and iPad), but I really want to make a tactics game where you start a revolution and kill the evil king, then establish a democracy. It makes so much sense to me and matches up well with slowly gaining characters over the course of the game.

I’m embarrassed to say I’ve drawn up all the maps and have the game mechanics now in a notepad.

I dunno, just seems obvious but all the tactics games I like end up being about the good nobles vs the bad nobles (and the evil dragon they summon).

Sounds like we need someone to make a 4X JRPG game.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Finished my first playthrough of Trails into Reverie in just under 100 hours. Falcom clearly went for a coda feel for Crossbell/Cold Steel like Sky 3rd did for the Sky FC/SC. I liked it! Did not hit me emotionally as hard as Sky 3rd, but it was a nice wrap-up to the last six games. Looking forward to Kuro's localization.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    This bad guy is very chatty for someone who looks like a dentist's worst nightmare

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Finished my first playthrough of Trails into Reverie in just under 100 hours. Falcom clearly went for a coda feel for Crossbell/Cold Steel like Sky 3rd did for the Sky FC/SC. I liked it! Did not hit me emotionally as hard as Sky 3rd, but it was a nice wrap-up to the last six games. Looking forward to Kuro's localization.

I think I'm going to avoid reverie because I'm annoyed about how Cold Steel 3 and 4 ended and I'm ready to just move on to the next series. Do we have any dates for the Calvard series?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Did they try to make the most stodgy boring RPG possible for the 8th chapter of Live A Live? This is unbearable.

• Options
    I can see the fact that everyone in XC3 has an embedded computer in their eye that can alter their perception by whoever is in charge of the system is gonna be an ongoing problem for our intrepid heroes. As are the giant robots each Colony has.

Everyone except the Nopon that is. And wonder of wonders they sound like actual people in this iteration, no more cartoon voices. And they're competent!

I'm really liking the character dynamics so far. Everyone has a distinct personality, except the two muscle heads that are clearly sharing the same brain cell, and there's sometimes conflict in the group because surprise everyone has their own opinion on things and they're not all playing follow the leader.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »

I think I'm going to avoid reverie because I'm annoyed about how Cold Steel 3 and 4 ended and I'm ready to just move on to the next series. Do we have any dates for the Calvard series?

For an English release, not yet! There's a PC version released in Asian markets on Steam that Falcom says will get updated with English language so I'm hoping by the end of 2024. I'm guessing we'll find out before/during the Falcom shareholder meeting at the end of the year.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    XC3 Chapter 2 spoilers
    I swear to fucking god if "Z" turns out to be ANOTHER Zanza...

HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO TEACH YOU THIS LESSON, OLD MAN?

Also unlocked class changing. I like how they're incorporating these game mechanics into the actual story, so the characters are treating these abilities as a big deal instead of it just being things the game lets you do.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So who's your favorite of the six so far?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Probably Noah at the moment. Lanz is a bit too muscle head stubborn. Eunie can be fun though, especially when she starts popping off with that sailor mouth at Lanz. The other three I still don't know much about since they're new so my opinion may change chapter by chapter.

Madican on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Since I’m done with FF16 I decided to get back into Trails of Cold Steel 3

I love these damn games

• Options
    edited July 2023
    XC3 Chapter 2 ending
    I just heard the Agnes Queen speak and while she's behind a mask I have a suspicion who it is based on that voice. That accent is incredibly familiar.

Nia from XC2 is that you? Which would mean the Keves Queen would be Melia from XC1 maybe?

Madican on
  • Options
    "It's one thing to lend a hand, another to know where to stick it."

Ayo, Eunie I really think you could not have worded that any worse.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Rolled credits in Final Fantasy 16. Good game overall, really fun to play, disappointed with a lot the writing for the lady characters, music was killer...

But woof, those side quests. They really should've been spaced out more evenly in the game. Certain characters get introduced far too late, certain lore needed to be introduced sooner, and that fucking pacing...

Me: "alright, that was a great story mission and a fantastic boss fight. What ludicrous awesome stuff awaits me now?"
    FF16: *fires a side quest shotgun, peppering my map with icons* "No. These first."

Endgame run-up spoilers
    And that cluster bombing of side missions near the end was a lead weight dropped right on my enjoyment of the game. Some of those last quests are great, too! Almost as interesting and consequential as main story quests! But all of them, right at the end? Bad MMO devs! Bad!

And they really needed to balance the combat for the endgame. Clive is a fucking walking god of damage output by that point, and everything is scaled below him, sometimes by over a dozen levels. Hell, I've heard stories about people being so good at dealing damage in the staggered phase that they could skip the entire final phase of the final boss!

Seriously, final boss spoilers
    Which sucks, because that phase goddamn RULES. In all my years of playing video games, I've never beaten a final boss into having an existential breakdown phase. Not once. I've experienced insta-kill attack spam, I've experienced victory laps, but Ultima is fucking SHOOK and I can't remember that happening in a game I've played.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I'm only now going to Oriflamme now, but I can't say I've seen these fantastic side quests Ive been hearing about yet, and I think it's hurting the pacing for me.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Probably about midway through Chapter 3 of XC3 now. Unlocked a couple heroes and their special classes, turns out aiming at gold question marks on the map has a good chance of it being a hidden hero quest start.

The story is pretty decent so far. Weird group of antagonists though.
    They remind me of literal clowns. Aside their outfit slash armor they all seem to want to have fun first and foremost as their goals. Not to mention every time they gather it's in a theater where it's constantly playing what is basically the player camera of the main characters. Sometimes a couple of them are just sitting in random seats watching the show, completely unconcerned that their colleagues are getting got one by one.

Their Moebius forms are some hard fights though. B took a couple tries because he likes to bind healers at the worst moment.

• Options
    I did finish Live A Live yesterday. I wish the Middle Ages/frame story wasn't the worst of the bunch. Every character in that chapter tortures their sentences into insane word orders, Yoda couldn't even keep up.

Putting together your team is fun. I ended up with Lei/Earthen Heart Shifu. She has a fullscreen attack and with 99 speed the charge time is basically zero. And the Descending Mountain Technique you get at level 16 is a great single target attack. I did use Sundown after all, he's got a bunch of versions of the same 2 attacks, and is kind of frail, but those 2 attacks are really good. I actually used Masaru Takahara as well, he starts at level 2 but levels up super fast. Has the best physical attacks and a good variety of techniques. And then Oboromaru the shinobi, who was a good special attacker. Probably should have brought Akira instead, he's a good healer to boot.

Even with a stacked team, some of the bosses and even random encounters are really challenging. Which I liked. I actually like that battle system and wouldn't mind seeing another game use it.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    I actually thought the "everyone speaks in Iambic Pentameter" gimmick for the middle ages chapter was really fun.

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    XC3 Chapter 3
    Welp, Eunie just found her own corpse from a previous life and witnessed her death. Starting to get the picture now with the clowns and why they treat everything like a game.

Moebius with the infinity symbol, Ouroboros the snake eating its own tail. Cycles and repetition. None of the soldiers ever truly die in this world from the looks of it, they just get taken off the board for a period of time before being brought back. Each Moebius has command over a Colony and they play wargames with each other, while also keeping tabs on prominent pieces and, if necessary, upending the game board and everyone on it to start over if the pieces start getting uppity.

Still don't see the full picture yet but I'm getting the themes at this point.

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I just killed

(end game ff16 spoilers)
    Barnabas

After trying to drag myself through to the finish. I'm close to the end, yeah? I want to finish this game, but everything that's been going on the past 5 hours or so has kinda drained my enjoyment of it and at this point I'm just trying to hit credits. I don't hate it! I just regret trying to do all the side quests and burning myself out.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Some of the end fights really turn into slogs

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I just killed

(end game ff16 spoilers)
    Barnabas

After trying to drag myself through to the finish. I'm close to the end, yeah? I want to finish this game, but everything that's been going on the past 5 hours or so has kinda drained my enjoyment of it and at this point I'm just trying to hit credits. I don't hate it! I just regret trying to do all the side quests and burning myself out.

Just do what I did and skip all the side quests. You're on the final stretch but a dozen side quests pop up around this time as well. I did one of them, which was a well done side quest, but by that point of the game I just wanted to finish it.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    It's a weird spot. Some of the best side quests in the game show up. Not because they do anything interesting with the gameplay (because they don't), but because they have good narrative beats. But shoving them all in right at the end of the game feels like it's doing itself a disservice. Like, knowingly taking the pacing out at the knees right before the climax. I'm glad I did them, but I won't begrudge anyone for just wanting to finish the game.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    I didn’t mind the gigantic quest drop only because it allowed me to finish Hunts and I love hunts

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    As someone who just frequently wants more content in games I really appreciate the side quests in FF16.

It's optional so people that wanna go through faster can. But provides an outlet with meaningful narrative beats for those of us that just wanna spend more hours in a game.

That's is a good compromise!

• Options
    I appreciate how in XC3 you get gold and silver coins for killing named enemies (among other sources), and you can spend those coins for actual beneficial things in place of their usual materials. I could use a chunk of ingredients to cook a meal for some bonus stats or I could use one silver coin instead, and I have 80+ of the things so I'm not running out any time soon.

Gold coins you can even spend to unlock gems. 99 gold coins is both the cap on the number of coins you can hold as well as the cost for a Level X gem unlock of your choice.

• Options
    Not that farming 99 gold coins is fast, exactly, but...

(Also, you don't need level X gems at all anyways - on normal I beat the last superboss with just level VI/VII iirc)

Silver coins I spent plenty of on class levels (usually capping someone off to swap them over so I could keep a balanced-ish party while leveling stuff)

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Not that farming 99 gold coins is fast, exactly, but...

(Also, you don't need level X gems at all anyways - on normal I beat the last superboss with just level VI/VII iirc)

Silver coins I spent plenty of on class levels (usually capping someone off to swap them over so I could keep a balanced-ish party while leveling stuff)

I probably don't need the "Cancelled Arts get a colossal damage boost" gem but I sure want it. And yeah I'm throwing silver coins at both cooking and people's D-aptitude Hero classes so they're not stuck in a single role for too long while everyone else is trying to build around them. I've tried fighting named elites with lopsided parties before and it doesn't go well.

• Options
    Just unlocked Incursor, an Attacker class focused around dealing constant critical strikes and building up damage but losing all momentum if killed.

Me, ripping a huge chunk of health off the boss: I am a genius!
    Me, now having the boss's undivided attention: Oh no

• Options
    I am now friends with XC3's equivalent of Kenpachi Zaraki and her entire battle-frenzy Colony. Also got her Hero class and it looks pretty good.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I am now friends with XC3's equivalent of Kenpachi Zaraki and her entire battle-frenzy Colony. Also got her Hero class and it looks pretty good.

She's one of the top 3 to have in your party for chain attacks too, imo.

Honestly I think shes my favorite of them.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

She's one of the top 3 to have in your party for chain attacks too, imo.

Honestly I think shes my favorite of them.

She is the epitome of a Simpson's joke that comes to mind.
    Ashera: All war and no death make Ashera something something
    Protagonists: Go crazy?
    Ashera: DON'T MIND IF I DO!

Nihilism and battle lust are a terrible combination.

• Options
    Today in XC3 the gang learned where babies come from and how they're made

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I finished ff12 and out of all of the final fantasies I've played, that was one of them.

A couple of pretty fun dungeon crawls wrapped up in the weakest story and world I've dealt with so far. All I have left on my list is 8/9, probably never touching 1-6 just because I know I always fall off of games from a certain point in time. I keep hearing 9 is going to get a remake any day now, so I'm holding out on it. I've also had people tell my Type-0 and Tactics should be considered mainline entries, but Type-0 looks pretty rough and Tactics ... I also feel like I keep seeing is getting an entry? I dunno! This has been a fun project to poke at for going on two years, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Oh right I also need to finish FF16, I'm pretty sure I'm in the last couple of hours it's just been ... uh, hard to make myself turn it on for some reason.

• Options
    When I found the island of fucked up very Scottish children in XC3 I wasn't expecting it to be that fucked up. Another Healer type class, great, can I please get another attacker for someone not Lanz so my team isn't just Defender and Healer to not waste class experience?

So anyway then I go meet a pirate and get his Hero class and GODDAMMIT WHY IS IT FOR LANZ AGAIN? So anyway guess I unlocked the Blue Mage type class here and need to make trips back to various graves to refight those uniques to steal their souls.