Options

JRPG or Junior Residential Parent Group

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Perfectly timed with reading Madican go through XC3 I just started the DLC.

And while it is exactly the direction of DLC I hate... fuck me it's cool to be back and the progression systems already have me excited and planning things out so they clearly did something right.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I finished ff12 and out of all of the final fantasies I've played, that was one of them.

A couple of pretty fun dungeon crawls wrapped up in the weakest story and world I've dealt with so far. All I have left on my list is 8/9, probably never touching 1-6 just because I know I always fall off of games from a certain point in time. I keep hearing 9 is going to get a remake any day now, so I'm holding out on it. I've also had people tell my Type-0 and Tactics should be considered mainline entries, but Type-0 looks pretty rough and Tactics ... I also feel like I keep seeing is getting an entry? I dunno! This has been a fun project to poke at for going on two years, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Oh right I also need to finish FF16, I'm pretty sure I'm in the last couple of hours it's just been ... uh, hard to make myself turn it on for some reason.

Tactics has been swirled in remake/remaster rumors forever, but that's mostly just because people want it to happen so bad. There hasn't been any hint of something like that from Square themselves, so I'd say just track it down and play it. I'm not sure how well the mechanics have aged, but the story is rightly regarded as one of FF's best, and if you're really not gelling with the gameplay it's pretty easy to just bust the game wide open with a bit of targeted grinding and play it on easy mode.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Wasn't the existence of a remaster of FFT in the NVIDIA leak thing? And We got a remaster of Tactics Ogre not too long ago, and with Squeenix really digging into their PS1 catalog a lot so it's only a matter of time

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    When I found the island of fucked up very Scottish children in XC3 I wasn't expecting it to be that fucked up. Another Healer type class, great, can I please get another attacker for someone not Lanz so my team isn't just Defender and Healer to not waste class experience?

So anyway then I go meet a pirate and get his Hero class and GODDAMMIT WHY IS IT FOR LANZ AGAIN? So anyway guess I unlocked the Blue Mage type class here and need to make trips back to various graves to refight those uniques to steal their souls.

Upside, that healer class is utterly, completely broken? Keeping everyone on classes they won't waste xp on was such a huge pain, I'll agree.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It doesn't help that to unlock a class on anyone besides the initial inheritor, you have to fight enemies within five levels of yourself with the inheritor using the class or the Hero with it in the party. Class aptitude also matters so someone with a D-rank aptitude will take forever just to be allowed to use it. And I don't think the Mastery accessories work for class unlocking.

Meanwhile I'm currently Level 55 with the main story enemies being around 45. I haven't even used any bonus EXP besides the initial tutorial. At least this new ocean zone has some higher level options to grind on.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    It doesn't help that to unlock a class on anyone besides the initial inheritor, you have to fight enemies within five levels of yourself with the inheritor using the class or the Hero with it in the party. Class aptitude also matters so someone with a D-rank aptitude will take forever just to be allowed to use it. And I don't think the Mastery accessories work for class unlocking.

Meanwhile I'm currently Level 55 with the main story enemies being around 45. I haven't even used any bonus EXP besides the initial tutorial. At least this new ocean zone has some higher level options to grind on.

Yeah that whole deal with classes is one of the few points of the gameplay that I think is less than ideal. Granted it's possible to find enemies around your current level in almost every zone. Or just find a close enough unique monster grave and grind over and over.

The DLC challange mode area rewards you with currency that you can exchange for several things, including class aptitude points. Granted that feels more like a band-aid that you need to buy the expansion pass for.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    Wasn't the existence of a remaster of FFT in the NVIDIA leak thing? And We got a remaster of Tactics Ogre not too long ago, and with Squeenix really digging into their PS1 catalog a lot so it's only a matter of time

Tactics Ogre was a remaster but also a relaunch. FF Tactics has been launched on just about everything under the sun. I have it on iOS and it plays great and still looks good. Maybe a remake is on deck but it would have to be something way more than they did for Tactic Ogre.

FF9 has moguri’s mod if you get it on steam which helps some of the graphics, though the core game is still PS1.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »

nothing concrete and nothing to corroborate it since it happened

like there's no doubt it's on Square's radar and nobody will be surprised if/when it's confirmed, but at the moment there's nothing beyond hopes and dreams

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Tactics Ogre is better anyway

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I decided to revisit Golden Sun to see if it was actually good as I remember or if I was just 10.

Folks; I was 10, and it was good.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I still say disgaea are much more fun tactics games. They're generally only as hard as you make them, and I don't really think any video game story is amazing or anything. So at the end of the day disgaea is just better. Especially 2 4 and 5.

Fire emblem is kind of its own beast too. But a lot of that is just some characters suck, or their growths suck, or some start shitty with amazing growth and absolutely none of that is communicated to the player.

Ive tried fft multiple times over the years and I don't think I could play it without a x10 speed mode. It makes ff9 look like it's running at light speed.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly the whole RNG screwed thing hasn't been true of Fire Emblem since the GBA days. Just too many ways to circumvent it now

• Options
    There's still the spectre of getting hit with that 2% crit or whatever, which is why the rewind functionality and casual mode are such a boon

• Options
    man it's been a minute since I've been in a JRPG thread, kinda forgot that people have Opinions about these things

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    They're good

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Opinions are bad actually

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

you're thinking of videogames

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    the thing about playing fft is I kinda explicitly said I was trying to play a bunch of final fantasies but is extremely funny to get suggested a bunch of other games instead tbh

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I mean, going off on tangents is what we do here. I have mixed feelings on FFT myself. I don't think it's bad, but I've cooled on it over time. Music is fantastic though, no argument there.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    The one time I tried playing FFT on PS1 I inadvertently nuked my own army because I had already played Tactics Advance and was carrying assumptions from it, meaning I didn't realize magic had cast times, had to target an area not people, and magic had friendly fire by default.

• Options
    XC3 Chapter 6
    Well that was certainly a chain of events. I'd already called N and M being Noah and Mio, though that was also being made obvious, but I was not expecting the M to bodyswap with current Mio. They pulled the trick from XC1 except this time it didn't take several chapters! Also got background into N's whole deal and I was waaaaay off. I had been guessing he was a Noah from another world, the one in the very first opening cutscene, and the playable Noah is the one from this world after both collided. I mean, I had assumed the whole annihilation effect thing was a consequence of two worlds converging. Or maybe it still is and I just don't know enough about it yet.

So Mio now has a body that isn't subject to the 10 year limit, N is off his goddamn rocker, Shania is someone else's problem, X is still a Problem, and Z is totally Zanza because of course I have to teach this old man another lesson for the third time. With both Keves Castle and Agnus Castle having fallen with their fake queens smashed, not sure how things are gonna go from here. Though looking at the map and this conspicuously foggy center zone I have yet to go to, I think Moebius is about to take off the gloves and start doing some really drastic things to get the world back under their form of order.

Curious who Noah and Mio's kid turned out to be. They hid the name but I'm guessing a Vandham originator of some sort. It is interesting how Noah and Mio in every occurrence somehow managed to gain the power of Ouroboros, probably just because that's the nature of the serpent eating its own tail. A cycle, one of many with many more to come barring something extraordinary happening. Like N going nutso and trying to blow up the world, which I totally expect him to try.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Had the itch to play lost Odyssey again but I have no idea where my 360 is, so I finally bought a new Xbox.

The initial console setup was painful and buggy as all get out. The user interface is trash.

It was worth it because lost Odyssey is still good.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I have lost like 60 hours to Astlibra Revision the last 2 weeks or so

what the fuck?? a $25 game has no business being this jam packed full of hack'n'slash jrpg goodness

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Playing the XB3 DLC as a tank males ot extra obvious that the game could really use some slightly better ai options.

Having no way to tell the second tank to target something else without telling everyone to target something else is not ideal! Then you just fight for aggro.

Having blast right now though.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

you're thinking of videogames

You’re right Pip, opinions are videogames

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I'm coming home from many weeks of travel and I'm really hankering for a meaty JRPG. (Not, say, Persona-level meaty, but something with good characters and party management and preferably good graphics and fun combat and maybe some choice and consequence but that's not a requirement.)

I'm leaning strongly towards Tales of Arise (on sale for $20). Really enjoyed the demo back when I played it and I'm feeling its call right now.

Other options in the backlog or on the wishlist include:
    - Octopath Traveler 2 (which I will definitely also play soon)
    - Chained Echoes
    - Crisis Core
    - Like A Dragon
    - Persona 5 Royal (eventually!)
    - Battle Chasers Nightwar
    - FFXVI (def want to play it soon but hear it isn't crunchy-JRPG enough for my current craving)

Or call an audible and play something other than a JRPG, like Disco Elysium.

Or! Start Shadows Over Loathing on Switch, which I may do anyway on my flight home this weekend. That's a little more bite sized and I loved the first one.

There are too many games to play and just not nearly enough time.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    God what fucking bullshit I beat the boss and he ended up being a fallen god and wiped me with DIO CRITY

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

They really did release like 5 40-60 hour games in a few months with no thoughts at all that they might cannibalize each other's sales.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    isn't focusing on big AAA releases how they got into this mess in first place

like, how much did they dump into forspoken, FF15, that avengers thing, and babylon's fall

2400 dollars a month on candles shit

• Options
    Every success Square Enix manages to clock feels like an accident

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I would be much happier if Square simplified instead of going all in on major titles.

I wish I could start my own gaming company just so I could make old school SNES style JRPG’s

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I would be much happier if Square simplified instead of going all in on major titles.

I wish I could start my own gaming company just so I could make old school SNES style JRPG’s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_RPG_Factory
    Put in your resume.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

If you do all of the difficult things I will make you some chiptune music and draw some lavish concept art that is unusable as a base for anything in the game.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Annnnd I'm caught up with English releases. 100% on Trails into Reverie. Now to patiently wait for Kuro.

eAGcGTF.png

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    isn't focusing on big AAA releases how they got into this mess in first place

yeah but unfortunately Final Fantasy was a financial success and then they made fifteen more of them and now i’m a lifelong video game addict

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Playing the XB3 DLC as a tank males ot extra obvious that the game could really use some slightly better ai options.

Having no way to tell the second tank to target something else without telling everyone to target something else is not ideal! Then you just fight for aggro.

The main Class Action for Tanks, the one that charges their Talent Art, is taking aggro from another character, so if your Tanks are routinely exchanging aggro amongst themselves they're getting Talent Art charge without having to endanger a non-Tank character. So it does benefit you somewhat to have both Tanks pulling aggro on the same enemy.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

The main Class Action for Tanks, the one that charges their Talent Art, is taking aggro from another character, so if your Tanks are routinely exchanging aggro amongst themselves they're getting Talent Art charge without having to endanger a non-Tank character. So it does benefit you somewhat to have both Tanks pulling aggro on the same enemy.

My talent art is already being refilled to full basically as soon as I use it because I'm evading every hit from seven enemies at once like Ultra Instinct, I don't need another tank messing up the positioning.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

My talent art is already being refilled to full basically as soon as I use it because I'm evading every hit from seven enemies at once like Ultra Instinct, I don't need another tank messing up the positioning.

Yeah. Tanks are pretty easy to have refilling like crazy.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I finally beat FFXVI and I generally liked it, but damn there were a lot of structural issues. Like, minor endgame spoilers:
    What was the point of the potion seller girl? She shows up in several places and does save Dion, but why did we need to set up a character in 3-4 cutscenes for that when nothing else happens with her?

That sort of thing is just kind of everywhere and it really makes me wonder exactly how the sausage got made re: the final script and if there was a bunch of stuff shifted around or cut.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Literally the post I was about to make before scrolling further haha.

I'm playing the dodge tank. I dont need any help there.

I just wish I could the other tank to target things I'm not targeting so they can be the off tank. And the the rest of my team to target my target.

As for the other discussion I actually want Square to focus on the AAA space. But like... just be better at it. The issue was never that they were focusing on AAA games. Just that they did so poorly.

Gimme my big budget JRPGs!