Options

JRPG or Junior Residential Parent Group

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 8
    It honestly looks so good.

Classes that upgrade, dual techs, skill inherence, custom protagonist stats, turn based and action combat, row based combat and press turn confirmed.

The Classes actually fix one of my biggest personal problems with Persona. In that the MC just uses standard enemies as their persona which makes them way less interesting than the rest of the cast.

I cannot wait!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh yeah. I’m HERE for that game

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Cool note that... I guess I'll put in spoilers. Just about classes and stuff they have directly said and shown.
    class tree has 39 nodes.

They specifically say 40+ classes.

There's gonna be a couple special ones!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Eiyuden is supposed to get a big patch soon will probably buy it then

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Eiyuden is supposed to get a big patch soon will probably buy it then

Please let them add in a treasure chest tracker…I’m missing 5 and have no idea where they are at this point.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    We have a release date for Metaphor?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    October 11th

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Oh thank goodness.

Visions of Mana has a trailer coming out the 12th that will have the release date. Let's gooo!

• Options
    Studio did a fan poll for character popularity in Eiyuden: Hundred Heroes

Francesca
    Isha
    Nowa
    Seign
    Perrielle
    Valentin
    Melridge
    Garr
    Carrie
    CJ

I never would have guess Francesca at the top.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I think this may actually be a sort of jrpg? Or at least a turn based rpg. I thought I’d post it here because at first blush it looks like it’s going to be another souls like but then it shows off the combat and it looks like maybe a turn based system with parries and dodges and counters? Setting looks neat too

https://youtu.be/Sq1RTsJ9DN8?si=BMTQf2mQfPIPGd_A

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Expedition 33 legitimately shocked me when it was shown. An actual surprise that looked new and exciting!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh...yeah that's neat.

Also adding timing effects to turn-based stuff is usually cool. Like Yakuza 7/8 or Shadow Hearts.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    No Lam? Terrible list

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    The story hook of Expedition 33 is so cool.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    74pmd3ow5uzk.png

from the website of that Expidition 33 game, looks neat

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    So it's like legend of dragoon meets sekiro, with very atlus inspired UI, and non-cartoony/stylized graphics. It's certainly a weird combination but i cant really find any fault with it if they pull it off well.

• Options
    It's got an anime vibe without the anime aesthetic, which is a style choice I am 100% here for

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Playing through Tales of Berseria again since I decided it's been long enough and I want the platinum. I may or may not follow up with Zestiria once I've refreshed my memory since it needs Berseria to elevate it.

It's still immense fun to run around with this gang of goofballs. Especially with Rokurou and Eizen being the best worst big brothers to Laphi.

• Options
    Speaking of Tales wonder when we gonna start hearing about the next one.

It was about 5 years between Berseria and Arise so we'll see.

Also wonder if Scarlet Nexus is gonna get a sequel it seemed to do pretty okay.

• Options
    After seeing what they cooked in Arise I'm not in any hurry for more of that slop.

• Options
    Mana trailer!

https://youtu.be/rw7oxlPHM_k?si=cacE08MOqKEg2kHD

It looks awesome! So pretty! Furry Vergil!

The bad: SHIT that is way later in the summer than I was hoping. Aug 29th. Was hoping for July or early August. Now it's right up against the slew of Fall games.

• Options
    I still really enjoyed Arise. The story was lacking but I love the gameplay enough to mostly ignore it.

• Options
    Gameplay wise I loved Arise.

Story wise I loved the first half of Arise then it went completely off the rails in the second half.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I really don’t like tales combat. One day I will remember that and stop buying tales games instead of saying this time will be different.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Getting strong Elfstones of Shannara vibes from that story.

• Options
    Arise combat was alright, it made using magic fun with the way you could stack up spells and cancels to shorten cast time. I just did not care at all about the characters or story past around the midway point and that is 99% of why I play any game at all.
    Normally even when the story is meh in a Tales game the characters and skits are still good, but Arise couldn't even manage that since everyone was so one note since the world building itself didn't allow for anything else. What'd everyone spend their time doing in the last twenty years or so? Being a slave, hiding from slavers, joining the slavers because daddy issues, being a slaver, etc. Their hobbies and interests were not dying or living bored in the lap of luxury.

Contrast that with Berseria where the skits show everyone has clearly lived some kind of life of their own, even amidst the world altering events that have occurred, or are trying to figure out what life they want to live. Velvet discovering she can't taste anything except blood is more impactful because we already know from her history that she enjoyed cooking and learning new recipes. Or Rokurou explaining an entire family history behind him, bit by bit, to explain how it's made him who he is today, demon or otherwise. Even Magilou reveals bit by bit she's got a past of her own and deep scars whenever she very briefly drops a bit of pointed insight amidst the nonsense.

Going through Berseria again I'm now realizing that there's a ton of gear I'd never found in my first playthrough because while there's common pieces that shops sell and enemies drop, basically every repeatable enemy has a piece of special gear it can drop. When I get to a new area I farm enemies until I get that drop now, using a dark bottle to make even normal fights spawn additional targets. And because mastering gear to gain its passive bonus is the majority of a character's strength I'm finding that fights which were a bit tough my first time through are much easier now. Code Red enemies and Dire Foes get dropped in a matter of seconds on Normal difficulty and even regular fights on Moderate+ (for gear farming with the potentite that increases drop rates of gear you don't own yet) are basically pinatas.

Still getting the hang of the weak point combos though, some that look like they should nail an enemy don't work at all while others that aren't geared towards that enemy type smash through them. Sometimes it seems it's less about targeting type and more about focusing on elemental weaknesses to make those big red damage numbers stack up.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I hated Arise's combat primarily because the devs did the typical RPG trap of spending all game funneling you into its main combat conceit(break system) and then discards it entirely for the bosses.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I hated Arise's combat primarily because the devs did the typical RPG trap of spending all game funneling you into its main combat conceit(break system) and then discards it entirely for the bosses.

It felt like there were serious HP bloat issues going on too. When going full glass cannon with the HP>damage trade basically felt required to kill a boss in any reasonable amount of time...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    So many combart barks all stacked on top of each other in Arise.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

I remember the second Lord being especially bad about this.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The Nintendo Direct today gave us a TON of RPGs to sink our teeth into this year and next.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 18
    Pretty excited about the Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D remake, that's my favorite dragon quest and it looks super pretty in that style. I hope they have the option for the original music though, I can't really figure out why but the orchestral arrangements of dragon quest music they use have always been incredibly irritating to me to listen to, I normally love symphonic music but something about the style of the arrangement just pokes a spot in my audio processing nerves that is unpleasant. The original chiptune versions sound so much better to me. I think that's why I have never been able to get into the later dragon quest games.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I'd love to see a FF6 remake with highly detailed sprite work like this sort of thing.

tr0w6d7njkzs.jpg

Although I'm guessing animating sprites like this would require a lot of work. Easier (and more profitable) to slap some filters on the old sprites and call it a day.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'd love to see a FF6 remake with highly detailed sprite work like this sort of thing.

tr0w6d7njkzs.jpg

Although I'm guessing animating sprites like this would require a lot of work. Easier (and more profitable) to slap some filters on the old sprites and call it a day.

Absurdly, even the gorgeous updated spell effects(A+) and the updated sprites(which were... not as good as the originals, IMO) probably cost a mint, at least a surprising amount for Square.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Cyan looks like a Dullahan holding his own head in that picture.

• Options
    For a moment I thought someone had given Terra nipples in her Esper form. Tricksy shading.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    they knew what they were doing

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j7pu9RlOUY&ab_channel=The8-BitBigBand

Speaking of amazing pixel art, I just found this. Not only is the music pretty good, but it's overlaid with a series of pixel art vignettes that are incredibly charming, including frames of animation for sprites that you'd swear were from the game.

• Options
    Toggleable features I'd like to see standardized in every RPG made going forward:
    • Random battle encounter rate slider
    • Equip in shops or from chests
    • Battle speed fast-forward/pause[/s]
    • Items/chest collectible % available from the map screen
    • XP gains equal for all characters in party or on the bench
    • Save anywhere
    • Running on the overworld
    • Tech tree systems can be reset/rebuilt at no penalty
    • Auto-win boss battles (for people that just want to see the story)

To reiterate, these features would all be accessibility/toggle options so you can choose to use them or not. Are there any that I missed you think should be added?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Toggleable features I'd like to see standardized in every RPG made going forward:
    • Random battle encounter rate slider
    • Equip in shops or from chests
    • Battle speed fast-forward/pause[/s]
    • Items/chest collectible % available from the map screen
    • XP gains equal for all characters in party or on the bench
    • Save anywhere
    • Running on the overworld
    • Tech tree systems can be reset/rebuilt at no penalty
    • Auto-win boss battles (for people that just want to see the story)

To reiterate, these features would all be accessibility/toggle options so you can choose to use them or not. Are there any that I missed you think should be added?

FONT SIZE TOGGLE

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg