Options

JRPG or Junior Residential Parent Group

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I finally beat FFXVI and I generally liked it, but damn there were a lot of structural issues. Like, minor endgame spoilers:
    What was the point of the potion seller girl? She shows up in several places and does save Dion, but why did we need to set up a character in 3-4 cutscenes for that when nothing else happens with her?

That sort of thing is just kind of everywhere and it really makes me wonder exactly how the sausage got made re: the final script and if there was a bunch of stuff shifted around or cut.
    primarily to sell you the strongest potion potions

but

in a turn

it is discovered that the potion seller considers you too weak to sell their strongest potions

I have not played the game and cannot vouch for the accuracy.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    See the problem with me starting a company is…I don’t know any coding, I can’t draw for shit, I have no money, and I have no time.

Once I overcome all of that…LOOK OUT

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I finally beat FFXVI and I generally liked it, but damn there were a lot of structural issues. Like, minor endgame spoilers:
    What was the point of the potion seller girl? She shows up in several places and does save Dion, but why did we need to set up a character in 3-4 cutscenes for that when nothing else happens with her?

That sort of thing is just kind of everywhere and it really makes me wonder exactly how the sausage got made re: the final script and if there was a bunch of stuff shifted around or cut.

Potion seller
    she was basically the stand in face for Dion wanting to do right by the people. The regular people that get hurt by everything those in power are doing. She's there to serve as both a learning point and bit of enlightenment for him.

And then she continues to be part of the end of his arch as he sends his boyfriend off to go make sure she and her people are properly cared for. Both for her sake and to give his boyfriend some sort of objective to make his new cause as he expected he may not be coming back.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Potion seller
    she was basically the stand in face for Dion wanting to do right by the people. The regular people that get hurt by everything those in power are doing. She's there to serve as both a learning point and bit of enlightenment for him.

And then she continues to be part of the end of his arch as he sends his boyfriend off to go make sure she and her people are properly cared for. Both for her sake and to give his boyfriend some sort of objective to make his new cause as he expected he may not be coming back.

Continued:
    I understand the point of the scene with her saving Dion, but what I don't understand is why she was set up in 3-4 cutscenes before that for a mostly throwaway role; she has more mandatory screen time than most of the NPCs in your base! It's the kind of inefficient storytelling that suggest she was absolutely intended to be more important and got trimmed down or collapsed into another role. If her entire point was always intended to show that the war is impacting the common people, then it's still weird that they figured the best way to establish that was 3-4 cutscenes of her singing the same potion selling jingle in exactly the same way in a different location.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Potion seller

Continued:
    I understand the point of the scene with her saving Dion, but what I don't understand is why she was set up in 3-4 cutscenes before that for a mostly throwaway role; she has more mandatory screen time than most of the NPCs in your base! It's the kind of inefficient storytelling that suggest she was absolutely intended to be more important and got trimmed down or collapsed into another role. If her entire point was always intended to show that the war is impacting the common people, then it's still weird that they figured the best way to establish that was 3-4 cutscenes of her singing the same potion selling jingle in exactly the same way in a different location.
    oh yea definitely felt like there was/should have been more. But also I think its still better that they show her some ahead of time instead of having her first appearance be saving Dion. I feel like that would have just been a slightly worse version of what we got. So I see what they were going for.

It's like they were trying to do a better job than just throwing a random character out there but still came up a bit short. I too was expecting a bigger reveal from her after seeing her appear in the big relationship screen.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    As someone who bought pretty much all the AA stuff SE put out, most of it was leagues better than their AAA offerings.

Harvestella alone is worth all their other non Asano offerings combined. It's real good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Speaking of SE’s AA efforts, I just started playing Chaos Rings III. I don’t know if it’s a good game, but it’s refreshing to play a premium original mobile JRPG that was built for the platform. It loads instantly, has nice controls, runs offline, saves progress constantly, reminds you what you’re supposed to be doing when you open the app, etc.

It was definitely made on a smaller budget (it has a mission hub structure that has sent me running through the exact same overworld/dungeon level about ten times now) and pivoted from being a gacha game at one point (it dispenses enough premium currency for a pull each real-world day, and you completely empty out banners), but it’s striking as a mobile RPG that’s not a shameless money grab.

Don’t get me wrong, I love mobile ports of JRPGs, but few of them feel like they belong on mobile; there’s always a little bit of jank. They don’t save often enough so you lose progress if there’s a phone call, or the touch controls are weird, or something. It’s this glimpse into a world where we had original, non-predatory mobile games.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

I mentioned in my review that I'll be interested to see a retrospective years down the road. There seems to be a lot of mystery box questions around the development of this game that hopefully will come out at some point.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I haven't tried Harvestella but Star Ocean 6 was okay. Probably the best the series has been since 3 but still wouldn't call it great. C+ at best.

Elysium you could tell they were just pushing that out.

Octopath 2 and Triangle Strategy were both pretty good. SoP was also pretty good for what it was but it's obvious it was made on a budget.

Diofield felt like one of those games that's based around a singular cool idea but they didn't plan out the rest of the game so it ends up running out of steam rather quickly

So yeah overall some good stuff but some mid in there too.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Bravely Default 2 was very good also

they’ve had more AA than AAA hits for me since about ff13

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Octopath 2 has been so nice to play. It's very easy to pick up, do a chapter for a character and put it down. Or go find shrines for job licenses and grind/explore a bit and put it down. None of the cutscenes are super long, so it's not like most jrpgs where you click through dialogue for 30 minutes, get control, then walk to the other side of the road and get hit with another 30 minutes of exposition. My only gripe is that if you go out of your way to unlock all 8 before anything else it is kind of tedious. There is the option to skip the 1st chapter, but then you don't get XP and have no idea what's going on with them. I only skipped the mage dude's intro on accident.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Sea of Stars launch trailer:

https://youtu.be/8jkeh6O1Rzs

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I have started Octopath Traveler II and the first three characters I pick up have, between them, given me to two different ways to seize information from the minds of NPCs and two different ways to take NPC possessions. There are no consequences for visiting a reign of terror upon innocent villagers.

So, you know, just like the first game.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    there are really only 3 different things you can do with people, it's just styled differently. its either the limited recruitment, buying/stealing/being gifted an item, or getting information in various ways.

also, the apothecary is OP as fuck

Enigmedic on
  • Options
    Oh, I know, but its amusing that I got a set of dastardly methods before I got any that don't involve mental/physical violence.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Can you still convince completely random people to fight and most likely die for you?

• Options
    Yes, you can.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    There's four things you can do, and four ways to do them.

Do:
    Get Info
    Get item(s)
    Recruit
    KO

How:
    Duel
    Automatic if level high enough
    Dice roll based on level
    Pay with money/item

Though there's not combinatorics of all of them across things, and they're a little unbalanaced. There's one less Percentage and one more Pay, and two characters have Duel-KO in one of their path for example, while none have Percentage-KO.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Gotta save something for Octopath Traveler III.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    i do hope they continue with the advancing technological eras. with 1 being more medieval, 2 being kind of fantasy industrial revolution, and hopefully 3 is some kind of modern or future tech level with similar gameplay.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I REALLY want to buy Sea of Stars but…I really shouldn’t spend any more money right now.

Stupid kids and their stupid back to school costs!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I REALLY want to buy Sea of Stars but…I really shouldn’t spend any more money right now.

It is launching on Gamepass day 1, for those who have that.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Out now on Xbox GP and it's pretty charming so far. Really digging what I've heard of the sound track

Carpy on
  • Options

It is launching on Gamepass day 1, for those who have that.

That would require me kicking the kids off of my Xbox and that is never fun…

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Also

I hit a game freezing bug in Wrestlequest on PS5…

Tried like 4 times and it locked up in the exact same place every time.

Think I’ll just put it aside until there’s an update

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Working through Persona 5 and having a great time. All I'm doing is using a guide for unlocking the third semester and trying to not think about minmaxing everything.

Also I kept confusing Dr. Takemi with Ann Takami.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Working through Persona 5 and having a great time. All I'm doing is using a guide for unlocking the third semester and trying to not think about minmaxing everything.

It’s Ann Takamaki if that helps at all.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

It’s Ann Takamaki if that helps at all.

There was my problem.

Takemi versus Takamaki.

• Options
    Okay my.biggest beef with Persona 5 Royal is it doesn't start the opening with Get Up and Get Out There

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I think Take Over is an upgrade over Last Surprise so I'm glad it's the one you hear more often in Royal.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Just getting rid of the harsh opening stinger makes Take Over significantly better.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    yeah i never was a huge fan of last surprise as a battle theme just because of the structure; too slow to get going in a game where most battles can be knocked out in like a minute

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    played/beat Sea of Stars

It's a good 'wants to be classic' RPG that is largely underserved by its writing. Not sure if it's because of the supposed link to The Messenger 'happening in the same universe' or just general middling dialogue/narrative but it's enough to carry things.

Aesthetically (visuals/music) definitely says 'hey remember Chrono Trigger?) while the gameplay is mostly SMRPG, and the dungeons have a heavy Wild Arms vibe.

• Options
    How long did it take to beat? I have a copy from when I kick-started it, but I'm in the middle of playing through octopath traveller 2.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    played/beat Sea of Stars

It's a good 'wants to be classic' RPG that is largely underserved by its writing. Not sure if it's because of the supposed link to The Messenger 'happening in the same universe' or just general middling dialogue/narrative but it's enough to carry things.

Aesthetically (visuals/music) definitely says 'hey remember Chrono Trigger?) while the gameplay is mostly SMRPG, and the dungeons have a heavy Wild Arms vibe.

Fuck.

I had high hopes for that one.

Bur, given your avatar...you clearly know what you're talking about.

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    I’m playing through it now, about 20 hours in, and it’s not a bad game, but the pacing feels way too fast. You go through a dungeon, get a single scene of dialogue, and then it’s time for the next dungeon. It feels like there’s never much chance to just stop and appreciate what’s going on. The first few towns did a good job of providing a breather, but the later ones have all been just a small handful of NPCs and a merchant.

• Options
    I am enjoying Sea of Stars.

I mean, the story isn’t anything special but the combination of Chrono Trigger, SMRPG…little Zelda…it works for me.

Fun game, old school feel, nice sprite based graphics.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying the composition of the music in Sea of Stars, but it feels like the instrumentation is off. Like, it sounds sort of off-the-shelf MIDI, compared to the NES/Genesis chiptunes of The Messenger.

I feel like the particular style of cutesy-fart the writing is coming off as is that they're attempting to go for what character design and dialog sounded like when Japanese-developed games went through 90s-style localization and just... not quite landing it. It's not bad but it's not great.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    How long did it take to beat? I have a copy from when I kick-started it, but I'm in the middle of playing through octopath traveller 2.

About 40 hours to get all the steam achievements.

Of the two, I think Octopath 2 is the better game to come out this year, but there’s still a lot to like about Sea of Stars.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I wish the block timings were a little more consistent in Sea Of Stars. The dynamic battle layouts are cool but the differing distances plays hell with timing blocks. I run the auto block relic but 35% proc rate slots it as only sporadically useful