Options

JRPG or Junior Residential Parent Group

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I dunno how much things have changed in the remake, but Riesz was a bit more of a support class.

On her Light side she gets stat buff spells, and Dark side gets stat debuffs, and then each class gets a summon

Star Lancer was probably her easiest to recommend class because it could multitarget stat buffs, and had a very good summon that inflicts Silence

In that party, Angela will actually more likely be your "muscle" in a sense

Class stuff
    I'd probably end up going Star Lancer Riesz for buffs, Necromancer Charlotte for debuffs, and whatever for Angela for boss damage

Maddoc on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Persona 5 is a joy to play. Just an utter joy.

So much fun combat shenanigans!

I love all of the design and art and music are up there with Hades.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m realizing equipment in Sea of Stars is really superfluous outside if making your numbers better.

There’s no strategy at all to the equipment. Each weapon/Armor is just a linear progression with the next piece providing slightly better stats than the previous piece.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I got the platinum on Trials of Mana and I loved EVERY second of it.

• Options
    I have been meaning to check it out eventually

I've beaten the SNES game probably half a dozen times now

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I’m realizing equipment in Sea of Stars is really superfluous outside if making your numbers better.

There’s no strategy at all to the equipment. Each weapon/Armor is just a linear progression with the next piece providing slightly better stats than the previous piece.

it's good when numbers go up

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

It sure is but it’s a lot better when there’s a little more than that!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

It sure is but it’s a lot better when there’s a little more than that!

but... number goes up

• Options
    I care about my weapons graphics changing so, so much more than the numbers.

I wanna see my characters evolve and grow with new weapons and armor over a game than just stat bumps.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I wanna see my characters evolve and grow with new weapons and armor over a game than just stat bumps.

I'm always in a weird spot in terms of appearance changes.

On the one hand, seeing new swords and armor is cool and helps break up the monotony of characters looking the same all the time. But on the other hand, having to model all of that stuff for no actually gameplay benefit means diverting artist's time from other things in the game.

If I was making a game, I'm pretty sure that would be one of the earliest features I'd cut if time/money became an issue.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'll cut YOU for time/money

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

On the one hand, seeing new swords and armor is cool and helps break up the monotony of characters looking the same all the time. But on the other hand, having to model all of that stuff for no actually gameplay benefit means diverting artist's time from other things in the game.

If I was making a game, I'm pretty sure that would be one of the earliest features I'd cut if time/money became an issue.

Counterpoint: a true throwback RPG knows the best thing in life is Golden Sun style extremely over the top animations for even basic weapon attacks.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    sea of stars is fun but the writing is pretty damn dull.

i really don't get why they went with the dual protag thing when your choice doesn't change anything, and both characters are identical.

i dont mean gameplay wise, i mean the two protags don't have a personality beyond "We should go solve the problem." You could swap every line of dialog and have them say each others lines and you wouldn't notice.

its weird because there are other characters that are like, written. they just forgot to do it with the two main characters

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Counterpoint: a true throwback RPG knows the best thing in life is Golden Sun style extremely over the top animations for even basic weapon attacks.

More things need to take the approach of Mana Khemia or even La Pucelle. Basic attacks evolved throughout the game, becoming more and more elaborate. Skills did too for MK, so even though everybody only had 4-5 skills, all of a sudden one of them now causes a turn jump, or erases timed attacks, etc etc and now there's extra dimensions to using them. Animations got minorly upgraded too, though most of that was just extra particle effects. It was just a sprite PS2 game after all.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I know what clapback I'm going to get for this, but like a lot of RPGs, Sea of Stars takes a while to get going, putting a whole bunch of pieces into play before finally letting them all really start to bounce off of each other. Valere and Zale never become more than Marios, but the setting and action really start to pop off around Mesa Island.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Sea of Stars is a solid B to B- game. I like it but it drags sometimes

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Maybe I should have gone with Angela as my main character. Her summarized opening chapter (I wanted to do the full thing but the no saving during a flashback is a dealbreaker)) was way more interesting and not stupid than Riesz's.

Angela: I'm the princess of a mage kingdom, but I can't cast any magic so my mom tried to sacrifice me for ultimate power.
    Riesz: I'm the princess of a mountain kingdom, but my brother turned off the wind that protects us because a pair of ninja clowns told him to, and I didn't bother turning the wind back on to stop the invasion because I guess there was only one key to the singular thing that was protecting us for hundreds of years and we let a literal child hold on to it. Also said child was kidnapped and everyone in the castle was killed by ninjas so apparently our kingdom was a complete joke anyway.

• Options
    Does anyone have any general advice on what to look for in personas for Joker?

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

I mostly just try to have at least one of every skill element, one of every buff/debuff, and a good heal spell.

• Options

SP Regen, healing, stat buffs/debuffs, general survivability.

You'll want to cover holes that your teammates don't, and since healing and buffing/debuffing are pretty rare, that's usually his role, but depending on your party, it could vary. Also a good go-to for random minor weakpoints that you'll need to hit.

A variety of arcana for Confidant stuff too.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Sea of Stars is a solid B to B- game. I like it but it drags sometimes

From what I've seen, it just strikes me as the latest in these strings of 'we want to be like classic JRPGs' copycats that don't seem to understand why they were so good and just turn out mediocre at best(looking at you, Cosmic Star Heroine). Their hearts are in the right place, but they just lack that certain spark.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I have met my third party member, Charlotte, and I am now turning the voice acting to Japanese the instant I find a save point.

WHO ALLOWED THIS ATROCITY TO OCCUR?!

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I've been playing Persona 5 Royal on my switch lite and I think it looks and plays great. I just haven't played much the last couple of days as the heat has been making me sleepy.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

SP Regen, healing, stat buffs/debuffs, general survivability.

You'll want to cover holes that your teammates don't, and since healing and buffing/debuffing are pretty rare, that's usually his role, but depending on your party, it could vary. Also a good go-to for random minor weakpoints that you'll need to hit.

A variety of arcana for Confidant stuff too.

Okay, that's pretty much what I was doing. Making sure I had the appropriate arcana and then filling the gaps of my team with elemental damage.

I like Joker, Ryuji (Electric), Makoto (Nuke), and Ann (Fire). Ann, in particular, does a ton of damage.

I rushed Dr. Takemi for the SP accessories. Royal started me with a shit ton of accessories, but I'm not sure what you would use other than the SP boost?

I'm not thrilled with the writing about Ann. She starts off in such a dark place and then it's like straight up objectification for hours of gameplay.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I have met my third party member, Charlotte, and I am now turning the voice acting to Japanese the instant I find a save point.

WHO ALLOWED THIS ATROCITY TO OCCUR?!

Charlotte is just obnoxious and basically the worst character, gameplay and otherwise, no matter what version.

Your party would've also been a nightmare to go through the game with in the SNES version. Angela got a massive glowup in the remake. It may also be worth starting over just to pair up characters. Riesz-Hawk, Angela-Duran, Charlotte-Kevin all sort of share antagonists and broad story beats in one invading the other's kingdom. It's not hugely important because there's not much story anyway, except if you play through multiple times since the final dungeon/boss depends on your starting character (eg if your first was Angela, picking Duran would get you the same endgame).

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Bought P5 Royal for the switch. I’ve never played a persona game. Any beginner tips?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Bought P5 Royal for the switch. I’ve never played a persona game. Any beginner tips?

Your ultimate goal is to dodge the chalk

• Options

Basically, this -

1) In order, prioritize Palaces, then Confidants, then self care activities and save Mementos until you've got like five or six requests.
    2) Of Confidants prioritize the Councilor (Dr. Maruki), he unlocks the third expansion semester. Then Death (Dr. Takemi), she sells you items that regenerates your magic points and that makes a ton of shit easier.
    3) Make sure you have a book on you at all times.
    4) Try and keep a variety of arcana in your personas to help level up Confidants (If you've got a matching persona you get bonuses to your relationship).
    5) Mess around with all the DLC costumes you got as a part of Royal, there's some goofy shit in there.

• Options
    I actually find that Takemi's stuff is way less important in Royal

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

2) Of Confidants prioritize the Councilor (Dr. Maruki), he unlocks the third expansion semester. Then Death (Dr. Takemi), she sells you items that regenerates your magic points and that makes a ton of shit easier.

In addition to those, you should prioritize Temperance and Fortune for gameplay reasons (they essentially give you more time to do activities) as well as Justice and Faith for story reasons (it unlocks content during the third semester).

• Options
    IIRC, when I did get the SP restoring accessories from Takemi, in Royal I didn't actually end up using them

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    IIRC, when I did get the SP restoring accessories from Takemi, in Royal I didn't actually end up using them

For real? Man I'm dying without them

• Options
    Can you still exploit the flu season to level quickly?

• Options
    Also I'll say I'm just complete dogshit at negotiation for persona masks.

I clearly don't agree with the writer of what is funny versus upbeat or whatever.

• Options

Basically, this -

1) In order, prioritize Palaces, then Confidants, then self care activities and save Mementos until you've got like five or six requests.
    3) Make sure you have a book on you at all times.
    4) Try and keep a variety of arcana in your personas to help level up Confidants (If you've got a matching persona you get bonuses to your relationship).
    5) Mess around with all the DLC costumes you got as a part of Royal, there's some goofy shit in there.

It's a very slow start, but solid once things get going. Takemi is good, but the Fortune and Temperance confidants straight up give you extra time chunks to do more things with, so they should really be prioritized above all others. They're not available until later though. Fortune especially requires lots of cash if you're going to abuse that mechanic, but there are some weird mechanics around money that make it pretty trivial to grind, but you WILL feel a major cash crunch if you don't know some of the basic tricks.

If you're concerned about missing things, you should use a spoiler-free guide, since while it is friendlier to newbies and 100%ing than P3 and P4, but it's still pretty unfriendly to just messing around and just experimenting, especially for how fucking long the game is. Fairly trivial on NG+, but committing to an NG+ on what's likely going to be a 100+ hour first playthrough is... a lot. I think they pseudo incorporate one, but it's easy to fall off it if you don't have the right tarot Personas on you or you make the wrong dialogue choices. Royal also ostensibly gives you a lot more time to do things, especially with the added content, except that you end up with a ton more nights free, while squeezing you tighter on day stuff.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    This talk about P5 reminded me how they put out a PS5 version of Royal at full price despite there already being a PS4 version that worked perfectly fine on PS5 and is cheaper.

Not even getting into Royal being a different full priced version of the game instead of DLC like it should have.

I love me some SMT games and P5 is fantastic, but Atlus can fuck off with this bullshit. I'm at the point where my ass is waiting a few years after P6 comes out to buy the inevitable enhanced edition

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

afaik no, they changed how reaper works, but I don't recall the details

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    This talk about P5 reminded me how they put out a PS5 version of Royal at full price despite there already being a PS4 version that worked perfectly fine on PS5 and is cheaper.

Not even getting into Royal being a different full priced version of the game instead of DLC like it should have.

I love me some SMT games and P5 is fantastic, but Atlus can fuck off with this bullshit. I'm at the point where my ass is waiting a few years after P6 comes out to buy the inevitable enhanced edition

I still have the PS3 version of P5, and it's a miracle we got that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

afaik no, they changed how reaper works, but I don't recall the details

It's just immune to status effects.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i should keep going on my p5r run. i think im on the last palace from the original game which i never beat on ps3 because it was just so grindy.