Options

newest update broke the [TECH] thread

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Though in fairness they're right, Sotheby's was definitely in on the grift and should be responsible for whatever the court hits them with.

but then you'd have to start holding everyone accountable for the grifts they push

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Yeah, I was going to say.. I just assume everything pushed by auction houses are grifts at that level.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I do wanna say Sotheby's included a disclaimer saying "hey look we only barely understand the implications of what an NFT actually is in the long-term, buy this shit at your own risk"

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Yeah, I was going to say.. I just assume everything pushed by auction houses are grifts at that level.

But it's Sotheby's! The name just screams high class. Even if you blow 7 million on art of dubious quality, you get to brag that you got to hang out with the big boys! It's like getting invited to dinner parties on the Vineyard.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Though in fairness they're right, Sotheby's was definitely in on the grift and should be responsible for whatever the court hits them with.

is there some way we can punish both parties

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Sotheby's is a place where tory wankers peddle fine art to each other but much frankly this one is on the idiot NFT buys for not understanding they're buying a jpg.

And not a long lost Constable painting.

This is a Millionaire Hoarder's joke that only works if you are from the UK, but trust me it's mildly funny.

• Options
    but will the lawsuit result in the same ruling that happened here in the states where they go yeah you were harmed but if we enforced the law it'd be too expensive for the "important" people.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    From the looks of it the lawsuit is less "This speculative investment was volatile" and more "Sotheby's said a real buyer made this outlandish purchase, which seemingly legitimized the enterprise and the market for it, but the 'real buyer' was now-disgraced crypto fraud company FTX."

Which still isn't an EASY lawsuit, but is at least closer to a case that could go somewhere

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The ftx thing is "wild"

That shit was everywhere, they sponsored MLB, had a ton of sports celebrities doing commercials for them and everything

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    NFTs and blockchain really put tulip madness into perspective. Like up until recently i could not understand how it was a real thing that happened. But now? Yeah ok, i still don't understand why people did it but i can believe it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My biggest time travel nightmare is getting super pissed at the internet for going down for two minutes and then turning around to see Socrates glaring at me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the tulip thing was probably overblown but was also totally in line with observed stupid human behavior, so it might as well be true

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I think my mouse might be dying? The scrollwheel has started scrolling back up when I scroll down, and the LED behind it is always on, even when the computer is off.

I don't want to buy a new mouse.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    The scrolling part happened to me once. I opened the mouse and found there was some dust built up on the inside where the wheel actually spins.
    Clearing that gave me another yearish of use out of it at least

Psykoma on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I should try changing the battery on mine. Or cleaning it. Probably that, actually.

What's a good way to clean grime out of a Logitech trackball? Like the ball itself I can pop out and clean no problem, but the mouse buttons are randomly double-clicking on me

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I should try changing the battery on mine. Or cleaning it. Probably that, actually.

What's a good way to clean grime out of a Logitech trackball? Like the ball itself I can pop out and clean no problem, but the mouse buttons are randomly double-clicking on me

You could try compressed air to see if it dislodges anything.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

If it has mechanical buttons, that's a known issue with pretty much all of them. Sucks!

• Options
    Hey, y'all

Is there some way to force the Google search bar on my Pixel phone to sort results by verbatim as a default, rather than have to click it every fucking time?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Don't know if this goes here or the streaming thread, but since it's a fuck up, I'll try here first. So Disney+ has ben crashing when I wan to watch Ahsoka. It'll get to the Disney splash screen and freeze. What's odd, is that I can mouse along the tracking bar and see the scenes in the little popup window, but it won't play and eventually times out to I guess the default Disney screen. It happened for episode one, and it's been happening tonight. Really odd.

• Options
    Watching on what?

• Options
    PC. What's also odd, is that other things on D+ will play. I put on Raiders of the Lost Ark to see if anything else would play. Worked just fine.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    PC. What's also odd, is that other things on D+ will play. I put on Raiders of the Lost Ark to see if anything else would play. Worked just fine.

This happened to me with the Disney app on PC. It wouldn't play Star Wars or Justified, would play anything else I tested, but it was fine on the mobile app. Restarting my browser fixed it.

• Options
    I restarted my machine, and still have the issue, is there a separate way to just restart chrome besides just closing all the windows?

• Options
    Go into the Chrome settings and wipe your history and cache.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Just closing the windows worked for me.
    Can you try a different browser, or use incognito mode?

• Options
    Ugh, that is really not something I want to do. Especially since it didn't fix Hulu not working (unsubscribed and went back to basic since I won't pay for stuff that don't work). Oh well, my remodel is almost done, I'll see if my Roku app can play it in the living room.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    There's a disney+ app in the windows app store you can try too to make sure it's not something weird in your Chrome instance.

• Options
    Eh, Firefox to the rescue, lol.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I did a mythical tech thing today..

I cleaned my keyboard. Fully. Pulled all the keycaps, washed and dried them all, cleaned the bed under the caps, including wiping down with q tip to get all the gunk

My seven year old keyboard now feels newer than it did when I first got it

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I did a mythical tech thing today..

I cleaned my keyboard. Fully. Pulled all the keycaps, washed and dried them all, cleaned the bed under the caps, including wiping down with q tip to get all the gunk

My seven year old keyboard now feels newer than it did when I first got it

Make sure to save the gunk for your next salad.

• Options
    I am having a goddamned hell of a time finding the photos I want to find on my Pixel. I can't keep it straight which one's are on my phone, the cloud, whatever the archive is. Very confusing

I don't remember struggling like this before

Today is my dad's birthday, I wanted to post a picture of him with a birthday shout-out/wish on social media, and it took me forever this time, what the hell is going on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    we are all ancient and decaying and technology has wrestled out of our control and betrayed us like the venous viper that it is

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I'm upgrading my iPhone this week*. Might fuck around and get a watch too

*more of a Need To than Want To. The charging port is dusty as fuck, I can't get it sent away since I need a phone for my work and don't know how long getting it fixed would take, and the newly announced phone's USB-C port would also let me charge my Airpods https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/12/iphone-15-usb-c-port-apple-watch-airpods-charging/

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    a paper clip will probably fix a gummed up lightning connector.

you do you but i have def saved a phone or 3 with annoying cable dropouts with that

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Rather than a paper clip, try a toothpick so you're not scratching the contacts with metal.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I am having a goddamned hell of a time finding the photos I want to find on my Pixel. I can't keep it straight which one's are on my phone, the cloud, whatever the archive is. Very confusing

I don't remember struggling like this before

Today is my dad's birthday, I wanted to post a picture of him with a birthday shout-out/wish on social media, and it took me forever this time, what the hell is going on

I only have this issue when it's a photo that I took from within a messaging app. For whatever reason, those don't get added to the big Camera (or DCIM) folder and thus, don't end up on Google Photos. They show up in Internal Storage->whatever app you took it on.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    cxm4yqbha8zl.png

this sounds really inhumane for anyone not involved who was forced to be in that room during the proceedings

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    A reminder that Musk isn't afraid of AI because he's worried the tech will be used to replace jobs even though it's not a replacement, he genuinely believes that AI will become hyper-intelligent computers that will outcompete us and he is developing neuralink specifically so that humans can interface with machines and stay relevant.

• Options
    Well those 3's hangers on definitely deserve it, and senators and their staffers almost definitely deserve it

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    A reminder that Musk isn't afraid of AI because he's worried the tech will be used to replace jobs even though it's not a replacement, he genuinely believes that AI will become hyper-intelligent computers that will outcompete us and he is developing neuralink specifically so that humans can interface with machines and stay relevant.

"The best way to counter the emergent weakly god-like AI threat is to give those AIs a way to directly interface with our actual living brains"

Elon 'I for one welcome our new weakly god-like AI overlords' Musk