Options

newest update broke the [TECH] thread

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Oh good they’ll ask me to have Siri chatgpt my question which is somehow faster than me just using chatgpt myself?

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking it will be more like the "Her" movie...but with a darker, and more profitable ending.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The thing is, Apple is big. Most average people haven’t ever consciously used Ai and this is going to force it on A LOT of people all at once, for good or bad, whichever side you are on.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited June 11
    i legit laughed so hard at the ipad calculator thing as someone who has been eternally annoyed the ipad doesn’t have a fucking calculator.

who knows how many multiples the computing power it took to go to the moon in this magic box but god forbid it lets me actually do any basic math.

edit: also i think it’s bad for ai in the long run to be exposed to the general populace like this because it sucks shit, and whenever normal people engage with ai after a short period of time they’re like well that was cool i guess but it certainly isn’t useful and then fall out of using it.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i legit laughed so hard at the ipad calculator thing as someone who has been eternally annoyed the ipad doesn’t have a fucking calculator.

who knows how many multiples the computing power it took to go to the moon in this magic box but god forbid it lets me actually do any basic math.

edit: also i think it’s bad for ai in the long run to be exposed to the general populace like this because it sucks shit, and whenever normal people engage with ai after a short period of time they’re like well that was cool i guess but it certainly isn’t useful and then fall out of using it.

Good.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Honestly, if this lead to everyone realizing how bad AI is because Apple shoves it in everyone’s face, that would be the best conceivable outcome.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    A real U2 moment hopefully.

• Options
    idk man, I just discovered that if i long press on a photo of my cat, then my iphone will turn it into a sticker which I can send to the approximately zero people i talk to through imessages but holy shit cat stickers guys

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    most likely all this pseudo-AI slapped onto every device will play out like voice assistants (who were also touted to be able to perform incredible feats of brain-like understanding) - people will play with them annoyingly for a year or so, then realize they're only actually useful for like one or two tasks that the tech is appropriate for and not magical robot monkey butlers after all.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    siri was supposed to do things that are actually useful. hypothetically a voice assistant bot that can actually understand wtf you're saying would be useful. siri was always limited because it only understood a narrow band of commands and even if it did understand it had a hard time routing it to the right subsystem on the phone

if they can somehow use gpt to make that all go better then a voice assistant with first class privilege into your phone would, in theory, be good

i believe that apple is capable of doing this in a non-obnoxious way, but just because they are capable doesn't mean they will choose that path...

"apple will never have access to your data" is a scrumptiously well-crafted phrase that leaves a lot of doors open

• Options
    Steve Apple is forever banned from accessing your data it's in his contract

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    siri is very useful

for setting timers while i’m cooking

and literally nothing else

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Today I saw a solid black Cyber Truck.
    It still didn't look cool

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    The thing is, Apple is big. Most average people haven’t ever consciously used Ai and this is going to force it on A LOT of people all at once, for good or bad, whichever side you are on.

Can't wait to see how much computational power and physical energy consumption is wasted with accidental Siri searches

• Options
    siri is very useful

for setting timers while i’m cooking

and literally nothing else

literally the only other thing besides that I use it for is setting a reminder to call some place the next day during business hours. Like when I remember at like 8:00pm that I need to make a vet appointment or whatever.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

My former grandboss just bought one and had it wrapped in black and he thinks it's the coolest looking thing ever.

It's absolutely not.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

The calculator actually looks like it legit rules. It has a function where you can just write out an equation with the Apple Pencil, write out equals and it will solve it for you. I would love to use that in class.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

My former grandboss just bought one and had it wrapped in black and he thinks it's the coolest looking thing ever.

It's absolutely not.

The ones that are wrapped at least look like they're finished. The regular truck just looks like it rolled off the line without being completed.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Could be worse.

Could be that tuner company in California that is selling a police cruiser upgrade for the cybertruck...

https://www.drivespark.com/four-wheelers/2024/tesla-cybertruck-police-vehicle-unveiled-by-upfit-011-49727.html

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    expensive cars dressed up to look like police cruisers is some kind of grift, right?

like the police get stupid toys, but i don't understand who benefits from like a lamborghini or cybertruck police cruiser

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    expensive cars dressed up to look like police cruisers is some kind of grift, right?

like the police get stupid toys, but i don't understand who benefits from like a lamborghini or cybertruck police cruiser

Maybe it makes the idiots who back the blue forget about all the dead minorities and dogs because hey, cool car.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    It's like something from a shitty 90s sci-fi TV show.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 11
    definitely a grift. idk where you see it but you see it EVERYWHERE in the south and the more corrupt the county the fancier the fleet

i remember driving around the part of south louisiana where i was born seeing still the total poverty on almost every street, then two blocks over seeing the fire department out washing their showroom new fire engine with a custom wrap out in front of the station... the vehicle probably cost more than every mobile home in its service area combined....

where i live right now the "community patrol officers" which is what they call what used to be police officers 40 years ago (blue cloth uniforms, batons, etc) drive base model teslas.... which seems like more a punishment than anything so im fine with it

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I got pulled over by a Camaro cop once, which was a little bit cool to my dumb 19-year-old self at the time

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

Yeah, decorating them is for chumps:

Ferrari-Testarossa-Miami-Vice.jpg?q=50&fit=contain&w=640

• Options
    edited June 11
    qTuyqCR.png

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/nov/30/italian-police-lamborghini

...deliver urgently needed transplant organs...

Brolo on
  • Options
    lol. They’ll really say anything to justify this shit.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Funny how they don't mention how fast the officer was driving to cause that much damage. Just that "according to the police" it was totally the other guy's fault.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    qTuyqCR.png

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/nov/30/italian-police-lamborghini

...deliver urgently needed transplant organs...

b9e6khc7cqza.jpg

lol, lmao

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Funny how they don't mention how fast the officer was driving to cause that much damage. Just that "according to the police" it was totally the other guy's fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL3wDgTwND0
    Cop CRASHES Into Bar, ARRESTS Owner

A St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department SUV crashed into the front door of a south St. Louis bar early Monday morning, and one of the bar's owners is now facing charges after a confrontation with police.

The owners of Bar:PM at the intersection of Blow Street and South Broadway were asleep above the bar at about 12:30 a.m. when they heard a crash. When they came downstairs, they said they saw the 2020 police Chevrolet Tahoe had crashed into the front door of the bar.

"I was actually already in bed (and) I heard a loud boom," owner James Pence said. "I jumped up thinking it was an accident with a vehicle. And then, I saw it ,and it was a St. Louis city police department vehicle in the front of our building."

Pence and his partner, Chad Morris, said police told them an officer swerved to avoid a dog, lost control of the SUV and crashed into the building. The owners said they didn't believe the story.

Later in the day, an incident summary released by police said the officer was trying to avoid hitting a parked car when the officer swerved and crashed into the building without a mention of the dog.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Wowie-wow wow
    Tracy said the officers have now provided a third version of the story — the driver was distracted while attempting to tune the car radio — and will be “accountable” for their “mistake.”

“We’re sure gonna get on to him about that, definitely”

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    DEFINITELY not driving while intoxicated or anything

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited June 12
    So, about Windows.

I'm applying for a software development job that would require me to have my own computer specifically running either Windows 10 or MacOS 10.14, 10.15, or 11. I have a PC running Windows 10, but it is 1) my personal computer, for personal stuff and 2) old (built in 2012). When I replace it, I plan to switch to Linux for the reasons other people have outlined here. (The machine I use for email and general fucking around is a Chromebook.) So I would need to buy a new computer if I get the job. An Apple is a nonstarter; I've been a Windows user my whole life and don't want to add the learning curve of switching to a Mac to the stress of a new job. (I know you can't even buy Windows 10 anymore; but literally impossible requirements are the employer's problem, not mine.) Also I just have an unreasonable dislike of Apple products.

The job is for the state and would involve sensitive information. Is there currently a way to buy a Windows laptop, as an individual, with a reasonable guarantee of data privacy? As in, "you will not record my activity, Microsoft, because doing so could open you to legal liability"?

Calica on
  • Options
    That's also a relatively old and specific range of OSes on the Mac side too, fwiw. Honestly it seems kind of wild they'd have such specific requirements and not provide the hardware, but obviously I know that's not something you can do anything about.

As far as getting a Windows laptop, I mean, it's easy enough to pick up an older, or even a refurb Windows laptop on the cheap from few years ago. As far as data privacy, I guess it depends? Generally speaking, you'd be on the same footing as anyone else with the same settings. Turn off the stuff you don't want, make sure you have Bitlocker turned on, etc. I guess I'd just defer to whatever the job requires of you as far as that goes though, to be honest.

• Options
    That is insanely irresponsible of that state

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited June 12
    Kadith wrote: »

So many red flags, I'd run screaming. Not supplying employees the tools to do their job (zero budget, which is also likely to reflect in pay and project demands). Requiring an End of Sale and in 16 months, End of Support OS (security vulnerabilities, various regulation violations). No security controls required / unmanaged equipment (security vulnerabilities, various regulation violations). Personally controlled hardware storing sensitive data (no data governance, various regulation violations).

There is no way to not have legal liabilities in that scenario. OS is irrelevant.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

So many red flags, I'd run screaming. Not supplying employees the tools to do their job (zero budget, which is also likely to reflect in pay and project demands). Requiring an End of Sale and in 16 months, End of Support OS (security vulnerabilities, various regulation violations). No security controls required / unmanaged equipment (security vulnerabilities, various regulation violations). Personally controlled hardware storing sensitive data (no data governance, various regulation violations).

There is no way to not have legal liabilities in that scenario. OS is irrelevant.

...fair.

• Options
    Id definitely recommend verifying they aren't providing hardware, and if not getting whatever the cheapest thing you can find that complies is because regardless of their policies you want to treat it like a ticking time bomb.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    The idea that an employer would require a certain kind of computer and not provide and manage it is baffling to me.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I would give zero effort to sourcing something like that. If the employer has OS data privacy concerns then it's wholly their responsible to provide a secure image for you to use

Honestly looking at those OS's it seems like they made that list years ago and never updated it