Options

newest update broke the [TECH] thread

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    I would give zero effort to sourcing something like that. If the employer has OS data privacy concerns then it's wholly their responsible to provide a secure image for you to use

Honestly looking at those OS's it seems like they made that list years ago and never updated it

Probably. Also it's a contract position.

My thinking is that if I'm going to buy a dev laptop, it ought to be something I'd actually want to keep around afterward (after a factory reset, of course).

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Like like even school districts provide us teachers with computers and we are like the lowest budget places.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    If you're specifically worried about recall, it won't enable itself (yet) on anything that's not labelled as a 'copilot AI' PC. Which is all of them except the new Surface devices. If it's general Win11 worries and you want Win10, then yea you need an older machine.

But yea, clearly the org isn't worried about data security so I wouldn't worry too much either.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    I would give zero effort to sourcing something like that. If the employer has OS data privacy concerns then it's wholly their responsible to provide a secure image for you to use

Honestly looking at those OS's it seems like they made that list years ago and never updated it

Probably. Also it's a contract position.

My thinking is that if I'm going to buy a dev laptop, it ought to be something I'd actually want to keep around afterward (after a factory reset, of course).

Oh for sure get what you'd want to have for life then. I think Minor Incident covered the rest of it, unless you're using someone's secure image then you've just got to run though settings and turn stuff off. There's probably a bunch of guides out there that run through the major stuff or you could go a little more dry and granular with something like DISA's STIGs

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    And no you cannot buy Win10, but you can download it.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I can't customize appearance or anything since I'm using it unregistered, but it works fine on my 2023 Framework.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I think you might still be able to change the background with a registry change but they might have sealed that one up.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    So, about Windows.

I'm applying for a software development job that would require me to have my own computer specifically running either Windows 10 or MacOS 10.14, 10.15, or 11. I have a PC running Windows 10, but it is 1) my personal computer, for personal stuff and 2) old (built in 2012). When I replace it, I plan to switch to Linux for the reasons other people have outlined here. (The machine I use for email and general fucking around is a Chromebook.) So I would need to buy a new computer if I get the job. An Apple is a nonstarter; I've been a Windows user my whole life and don't want to add the learning curve of switching to a Mac to the stress of a new job. (I know you can't even buy Windows 10 anymore; but literally impossible requirements are the employer's problem, not mine.) Also I just have an unreasonable dislike of Apple products.

The job is for the state and would involve sensitive information. Is there currently a way to buy a Windows laptop, as an individual, with a reasonable guarantee of data privacy? As in, "you will not record my activity, Microsoft, because doing so could open you to legal liability"?

Is this for WFH? If it's for development work and GPU power isn't really an issue, maybe one of those little miniPCs? They'll run W10 just fine and you can get them a fair bit cheaper than any laptop, and you can just plug it into a spare HDMI socket into a monitor you already have.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Is there any way to see what a QR code wants to do before allowing it to do it's thing?

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    a QR is just an encoded string in an open standard format, there is probably some app out there that just tells you what it says before you open it in your browser or whatever

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Is there any way to see what a QR code wants to do before allowing it to do it's thing?

When you scan it, it should show you what the link is it wants to open before you tap it. At least, it does on iOS. I have to assume Android gives you some kind of preview as well, but it probably depends on the camera app?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    any sane QR code reader designer would tell you what the actual URL is before sending you to it, so I'm sure there's plenty of QR code readers that simply auto-open a web page because designers are morons

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 13
    Hey!

…carry on

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Okie.

I've basically steered clear of QR codes entirely up until this point but my kiddo's new school uses them extensively for check ins and such apparently, and didn't want to have to worry either they weren't stupid or it hadn't been tampered with. So I haven't had any recent exposure to a QR scanner app and wasn't sure if that was actually a common option or not because people seem extremely happy to have terrible security practices and throw their data at everything. Thanks =)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My phone is doing this thing recently where even after I open the phone app and look at all the times I didn't pick up and talk to robots, it still has the notification herpes on the phone icon.

There is literally no upside to this, I have never once seen the red dot and thought "Oh yeah, I ignored someone in the recent past, I better see what all that was about!"

Do better, phone, or I'll toss you in the creek and replace you with two cans on a string glued to a minidisc player.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Something people may not realize is nowadays, the official camera apps will scan barcodes automagically without needing a separate program, and will preview the link for you.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    Yeah I teach people how to get our library app all the time via a QR code and I've only ever had a customers camera app fail to work twice in 10 months.

One of which was today, funnily enough.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    My phone now includes a "feature" when I'm on a call to do "audio Emojis"

Did anyone ask for this?

Google what have you been smoking because I want some

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    It does make me feel like a wacky drive time dj from the 90s though I guess so it's got that going for it

Uriel on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Question in case anybody knows about these things -

Do the new iMacs have a, like, passive or monitor mode? Like, can they be used as an external monitor for a macbook, by any chance?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Question in case anybody knows about these things -

Do the new iMacs have a, like, passive or monitor mode? Like, can they be used as an external monitor for a macbook, by any chance?

Not reeeeeally. They removed that as a native feature like 10+ years ago. Off the top of my head there's like... two options:

Airplay: You can mirror your macbook's display to an imac using Airplay, but it can be juuuuust laggy enough to be frustrating to try to use as an actual working monitor, and you can also only mirror, not extend the macbook's screen.

Or: https://astropad.com/product/lunadisplay/
    It'll do exactly what you want, the performance is great, and it can work over usb or wifi. But it's a piece of hardware you have to buy (for $80 bucks).

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Ah, then it would probably be cheaper to buy a mac mini and just get like a 4k ultrawide monitor

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    What's the current hotness in mesh WiFi? The second satellite of my current Orbi network looks to be dying and I'm not in the mood to keep replacing these things if there's a better option nowadays.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Honestly go ubiquiti dream router + their plug stuff. Miles better than orbi

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

If you have the budget, I’d second this. It’s just as easy, and way more powerful and extendable.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i use wired unifi aps (they do mesh but i’ve never tried it) and they’re absolutely rock solid. never had issues with the aps in over a decade at two different installs.

def worth the investment of something that works and keeps working

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    hey so is there any point worrying about figuring out this secure boot shit to upgrade to windows 11 yet, or am I good to just ignore it all for another year or so?

• Options
    edited July 7
    they're stopping doing security updates for windows 10 this year, if they haven't already, so probably good to figure it out
    do you know what motherboard you have

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited July 7
    schuss wrote: »

If you have the budget, I’d second this. It’s just as easy, and way more powerful and extendable.

I did the Dream Machine and it's great.

But!

If you're not a maniac you don't need to go Dream Machine, and I really can't recommend the Dream Router. The UniFi Express is really great for most people's use, you can tie it in with more than one Express or run up to 4 APs from it, and it's just as rock solid as their other equipment.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited July 7
    I have a dream machine pro, and while it's nice to manage my wifi and cameras and switch and mini POE switches all in once place it's frustrating that it demands to be the network gateway to be able to use it for serving DHCP, cos I have something else for a gateway and I don't want to double NAT things or any of that nonsense.

pimento on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    they're stopping doing security updates for windows 10 this year, if they haven't already, so probably good to figure it out
    do you know what motherboard you have

Yeah, B650 Aorus Elite AX, and I think I've got it all sorted now.

I was able to enable secure boot in the bios, but once I'd done so it wouldn't detect my drive.

Turns out when I did a new build over the weekend something prompted a my disk to be formatted as MBR instead of GPT. I'd also made the mistake of using an old pre-22h2 win10 stick for installation instead of the most recent files, which caused a whole swathe of other issues, but I can't tell if this was related.

Anyway, I scrapped it all, made sure mobo was set to defaults, and installed again using an updated win10 stick, and it all appears to be good now.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I thought 10 had a bit longer to go before Microsoft abandoned it. Guess i need to go ahead and start moving everything over to Ubuntu because 11 seems pretty horrible.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    11 is just 10.5 with some minor annoying ui changes to the right click menu. The AI thing is stillborn. They're spying on you either way, that's a decent reason to switch to linux I suppose.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    I thought 10 had a bit longer to go before Microsoft abandoned it. Guess i need to go ahead and start moving everything over to Ubuntu because 11 seems pretty horrible.

Head on over to the Linux thread if you want to discuss, but for the record I'm not sure I'd recommend Ubuntu for most people.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    hey so is there any point worrying about figuring out this secure boot shit to upgrade to windows 11 yet, or am I good to just ignore it all for another year or so?

To clear up some confusion, Windows 11 does not require you to enable Secure Boot, just that your PC be capable of supporting it. The capability to support it requires your boot mode be set to UEFI instead of Legacy BIOS.

Now I do recommend turning on Secure Boot once the OS is installed as it protects you against bootloader viruses by preventing changes. You can always just turn it off temporarily if you need to change bootloaders, like changing OS or going dual boot. Secure Boot is supported by the major Linux distros as well. Otherwise you can still use it, you'd just need to load public signing keys yourself.

Same thing with TPM. You don't have to make use of TPM for security features like full disk encryption, your PC just has to have it enabled so it has the capability of using it.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »

Head on over to the Linux thread if you want to discuss, but for the record I'm not sure I'd recommend Ubuntu for most people.

I disagree. i think Ubuntu is as close to Windows as Linux gets. For a while HP sold laptops with Ubuntu installed and people were able to use them fairly well. It has its issues but i think it is pretty good.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Isn't the end date for Windows 10 next year? October 14, 2025 to be exact. The current version, 22H2, is the last but it doesn't stop support until then.

It's still a good idea to pursue options sooner rather than later.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    DEFINITELY not driving while intoxicated or anything

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OfnFkTrkE-U&pp=ygUPbWNudWx0eSBkctml2aW5n

• Options
    11 is just 10.5 with some minor annoying ui changes to the right click menu. The AI thing is stillborn. They're spying on you either way, that's a decent reason to switch to linux I suppose.

Yeah, honestly with all of Microsoft's bullshit over the years my next laptop is either going to be a MacBook or a Framework with Linux.

• Options
    So, uh... what's this I hear about CoPilot being pushed out to Windows 10? Anyone seen this?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Again?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.