Options

newest update broke the [TECH] thread

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    great news guys, from the people who brought you dogshit foldable phones with minimal factory support, poor build quality and extreme prices... we now bring you... foldable laptops with the exact same properties!

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/09/the-first-foldable-pc-era-is-unfolding/

i cannot recall a more laughable, ill-advised and obviously doomed to failure technology effort than foldable phones, so it only makes sense that it should be reattempted with something even more expensive

have you ever thought "this laptop is good, but what it really needs is to be stupid"? do you have five thousand dollars? then i have some excellent news, my friend!

please do not eat, drink, have hair, or wear any clothes made of a fiber of any kind, as the slightest element of particulate matter finding its way into the crease of your laptop will permanently and completely destroy it, forcing you to replace it.

make sure to do regular backups! (not included)

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Pro - laptops don't need to be opened and closed as much as phones do, so theoretically there's less stress on the folding mechanism
    Con - why the FUCK do you want to fold the screen at all?!

one of my friends has a folding phone, I've been able to restrain myself from pointing out how it's useless garbage only because it's so often broken and waiting for repair.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I've had no issues with my folding phone?

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I've had no issues with my folding phone?

why did you put a question mark on that

are you having doubts

is that the creeping fear or a dearly held piece of vital equipment being rendered totally inoperable by: pollen, dust, a granule of salt, being looked at too sternly, etc

• Options
    edited September 2023
    I did drop it while it was open and there's a weird ~dozen pixel glitch on the very very edge of the inner screen, I guess.

Completely ignorable, but it is the only phone I've ever damaged. So, yeah.

I did buy a case for it, which is also the only phone I've ever bought a case for.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    great news guys, from the people who brought you dogshit foldable phones with minimal factory support, poor build quality and extreme prices... we now bring you... foldable laptops with the exact same properties!

i cannot recall a more laughable, ill-advised and obviously doomed to failure technology effort than foldable phones, so it only makes sense that it should be reattempted with something even more expensive

have you ever thought "this laptop is good, but what it really needs is to be stupid"? do you have five thousand dollars? then i have some excellent news, my friend!

please do not eat, drink, have hair, or wear any clothes made of a fiber of any kind, as the slightest element of particulate matter finding its way into the crease of your laptop will permanently and completely destroy it, forcing you to replace it.

IIM7cnA.jpg

this is definitely how i enjoy my gaming

screen bent and distorting
    huge crease in middle
    have to look down at bottom half to see what buttons i'm pressing
    giant chunky bezels
    games being played at 1:2 aspect ratio
    out of date CPU
    cost five grand
    battery life??? heat???

• Options
    edited September 2023
    dont worry they solve the battery and heat problem by giving you 100 nit brightness max so you wont be able to see your keyboard if you're anywhere near a window

Jasconius on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    What problem is that thing supposed to fix

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Feeling like you aren't getting the true mobile device experience of 100% of your device being a screen when using a high-end laptop to run a virtual cell-phone in your browser to play Genshin Impact, I guess

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    At least foldable phones have the core problem of 'bigger screen doesn't fit in pocket' to address, these don't really seem more convenient folded up than an equivalent size laptop would be.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Why in the hell are Blu-ray players $100+ usd in 29-goddamned-23?

• Options
    I imagine they are collectors items in 2923

• Options
    i think sony claiming their license fees for the tech but also i think not a lot of electronics groups are organized into building bluray players since the markets are moving to streaming, so you're not getting that huge race to the bottom that goes on in so many other places

i stream some stuff i already own on bluray just for convenience but it really is crazy just how much better the picture is on bluray... i dont consider myself a snob about this stuff at all but you can just plainly see how much better a good bluray is compared to whatever netflix is piping out

but it bothers me what a massive pain in the ass it is to get bluray running on my PC...

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    fuck blue rays for real

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Counterpoint: a lot of stuff looks like abject shit when streamed and when I want a movie to look good on my big TV a Blu-Ray is the most reliable option, at least until broadband gets a hell of a lot better and streaming companies get less stingy about their bitrates and resolutions and such.

• Options
    Well I want to buy one because we have a high speed data limit and streaming stuff eats a lot of it up

God-damned T-Mobile, pack of fucks

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Counterpoint: a lot of stuff looks like abject shit when streamed and when I want a movie to look good on my big TV a Blu-Ray is the most reliable option, at least until broadband gets a hell of a lot better and streaming companies get less stingy about their bitrates and resolutions and such.

Also streaming has shit ass audio which is why you have to turn on the subtitles if you want to understand it.

Not that all blurays have good audio mixing, but some of them do!

• Options
    Honestly this is why I'm glad my Series X still has a physical media drive, I don't use it all that often in the grand scheme of things but it's nice to know that it's there and that I don't have to get a stand-alone one. I like their new unbroken cylinder but I just don't think we're ready to entirely ditch disks, at least in these United States.

• Options
    edited September 2023

same problem the metaverse is solving

Brolo on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023

The problem of every problem being harder to solve in micro.

Not kidding, that's the best reason I've got. Whatever money Lenovo loses on that thing will be money they effectively spent researching how to solve the folding smartphone screen problem just at an order of magnitude larger

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

IIM7cnA.jpg

this is definitely how i enjoy my gaming

screen bent and distorting
    huge crease in middle
    have to look down at bottom half to see what buttons i'm pressing
    giant chunky bezels
    games being played at 1:2 aspect ratio
    out of date CPU
    cost five grand
    battery life??? heat???

Isn't that the time travel device from Thrill Seekers? Are we headed for a spectacular catastrophe in the imminent future?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

You can get a Blu-Ray player for like $60, but if you want 4K you're upwards of $200.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

A combination of obsolete technology and 900 years of inflation, presumably.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    When I got a new desktop I had to get an external case for my 5.25 blu ray burner. My Xbox One S gets mostly used as a blu-ray player, and ironically the blu-rays otherwise mostly get ripped to the Synology for streaming on the TVs with whatever built-in Samsung media server app they have. It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through, but oftentimes the blu-ray is cheaper than 'buying' the stream, and if it is an older movie (e.g. my daughter has been reading The Hunger Games) then the whole series on disc is cheaper than renting even one of them on streaming would be. That said I have no idea when/if I'll ever use up the CD-Rs, DVD-Rs and Blu-RayRs in my drawer...

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I mean have no urge to buy this but why sell it as a pc, but instead sell it as a giant tablet that folds to a reasonable size, they’d still need to manage the crease, but I feel a giant, foldable tablet would be something that some drawing based creative people would find useful.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Because the only difference between a tablet and a slate PC is the operating system?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I mean have no urge to buy this but why sell it as a pc, but instead sell it as a giant tablet that folds to a reasonable size, they’d still need to manage the crease, but I feel a giant, foldable tablet would be something that some drawing based creative people would find useful.

You'd have to do something impressive to outshine what the iPad pro is already doing, size isn't enough to cut it. Especially with the kinda crappy feel of folding screens.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Kadith wrote: »

So Google has turned their search engine into a no, you want to buy this product marketing tool or something, as was discussed somewhere

I've been in the Google ecosystem for like 20 years, and I'm increasingly disgusted with everything

What am I supposed to do?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Kadith wrote: »

So Google has turned their search engine into a no, you want to buy this product marketing tool or something, as was discussed somewhere

I've been in the Google ecosystem for like 20 years, and I'm increasingly disgusted with everything

What am I supposed to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHuZ5qrYX4

just bing it

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I was going to preorder a Pixel 8 but everything I'm seeing on reddit is that there are still overheat issues, the price has gone up and the performance isn't great.

• Options
    I have a Pixel 6, so the damn Google bar is a permanent fixture on my screen. Using anything else will be awkward and inconvenient.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I don't think I have ever actually used the google search bar or voice command on android.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever actually used the google search bar or voice command on android.

I literally only use the voice controls to set a short-term alarm when I decide to take a nap.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    "OK Google, will it rain today"

That's probably my most used voice command.

That or setting a countdown for my coffee to brew/cooking something on stove or in oven.

• Options
    I don't want to switch to Apple or Samsung

I guess I could go back to the Moto G phones, but they definitely feel cheap

• Options
    I recently got a Pixel 6a and the thumbprint sensor is absolute fucking garbage, I've reset my thumbprint once already and it didn't help, do I have bad thumbs or is this a known thing?

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Anything that isn't an iPhone is most likely running Android anyway.
    Google is sucking up user data on all of them.

• Options
    Pixel 8/8pro is getting 7 years of OS and security updates which is actually very good.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I recently got a Pixel 6a and the thumbprint sensor is absolute fucking garbage, I've reset my thumbprint once already and it didn't help, do I have bad thumbs or is this a known thing?

I can help to scan a single finger several times instead of using the slots for different fingers

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Scan at least one emergency finger on your other hand, though. First rule of biometrics is don't put all your thumbs in one basket.

GDdCWMm.jpg