Options

newest update broke the [TECH] thread

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    for someone who theoretically works in product design, I sure was not prepared for Philips to kidnap my office lights to force me to connect them to the internet for "security"

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    for someone who theoretically works in product design, I sure was not prepared for Philips to kidnap my office lights to force me to connect them to the internet for "security"

You have brought up smart light bulbs which allows me to unleash this hell upon the world once again.

https://youtu.be/1BB6wj6RyKo?si=GcqbSt_XyOGzfY

Smart Home is so good, you guys!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I didn't watch it but how did no one at GE see "how to reset your lightbulb" required a 3 minute video and immediately realize they had failed?

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I recently skittered into my parents crawl space to put in some smart bulbs.

One of them needed rebooting.

It is a very smart crawlspace now, I guess.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

You have brought up smart light bulbs which allows me to unleash this hell upon the world once again.

https://youtu.be/1BB6wj6RyKo?si=GcqbSt_XyOGzfY

Smart Home is so good, you guys!

I think I said “there’s no fucking way” like four times while watching this. I didn’t know GE had decided to become the joker

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Almost every bulb in our house is smart but they are they very cheap Chinese kind. They are almost certainly being used in some kind of botnet but if i ever need to reset them i can just cut the light off by hand for 30 seconds. So i guess pros and cons.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i have some hue bulbs that are nearly impossible to reset if they get borked without the serial number

the serial number which is on an annoying piece of shiny tape on the cord that messes up neat cable management

:roll:

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I didn't watch it but how did no one at GE see "how to reset your lightbulb" required a 3 minute video and immediately realize they had failed?

GE has kindly accomodated for those of us who like light switch raves. :grin:

... Now, that said, the V1 of that was just stupid and prone for error. From the way they talk, the capacitors and RAM in the device last for about 4-5 seconds, so the 2 second off periods (plus or minus a lot of generous leeway, I'm sure) make sense. What doesn't make sense is the 8-2-2-2-8 cycle. The 8-8-8-8-8 is much, much more boring - especially in real time like that. But it still represents deliberate action.

That said.. the silliest thing in all that IMO is using the packaging to differentiate firmware - especially if your device has been updated. Who is going to remember what their lightbulb packaging looked like?!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    What if they just put a button on the bulb to allow you to reset easily? Like every other device worth owning? Or not worth owning, even!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah a button or even the little pinhole reset that old routers had

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    As your attorney, I'm going to strongly suggest you don't encourage your customers to poke a paper clip into a tiny hole in a screwed-in lightbulb.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah sure! But a button! I know it'll add $0.0032 to each bulb but fuck off.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    As your attorney, I'm going to strongly suggest you don't encourage your customers to poke a paper clip into a tiny hole in a screwed-in lightbulb.

look at least *something* will get reset, ok?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    or we could just, not use smart lightbulbs and worrying about them doing untoward things

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

This reminds me of every time I have a medical staff call with an IT issue and they feel bad for not thinking to reboot.

"That's okay, reboots are not a thing we want medical staff jumping too quickly to as a general diagnostic tool!"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Every smart home thing I see feels like it would be a true nightmare and I don't even hate smart homes conceptually, I would love to walk into a room and say "lights" and have the lights come on or be able to alert my house that I'm on my way home so that the temperature is correct and lights are on and a drink is already mixed when I get there, but boy does it not feel like it's worth it to try to get there right now.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I guess I just don't understand any kind of desire to take robust, simple systems and add complex, difficult to repair points of failure to them which have, at best, secondary conveniences that don't meaningfully impact the core functionality.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I hate the idea of smart homes.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm in a small house and put some of the major light switches on wifi, but I don't really see the value add of any more functionality beyond being able to turn lights on and off without getting up.

• Options
    your home should be a terrible camera

with fangs and shit

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    your home should be actively hostile towards you so that you don't go into shock when you are forced to interact with the wider world

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    what if your fridge had a camera hidden in it that could secretly take pictures of you and your food, and then upload those to a third party service that your insurance company could monitor so that they could modify your rates in real time based on how unhealthy they judged your eating habits

doesn't that sound exciting

Brolo on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    what if my dishwasher was self aware and tried to eat my cat at any opportunity

that sounds exciting, right

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    what if my dishwasher was self aware and tried to eat my cat at any opportunity

that sounds exciting, right

is that the sequel to little shop of horrors?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I gave up on smart bulbs (mostly) and switched to using smart switches. Lutron makes a pretty much perfect line of smart switches and they basically never has any issues.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    my dishwasher is a regular human guy

w6p5ovo9s12x.png

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I hooked a lamp up to a smart surge protector so I could move it to a regular plug and use as normal if I wanted to. Was worth it to be able to go "Computer, lights!"

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I'm generally against smart homes. the only reason I bought a couple of the Hue lights was because you didn't need to connect them to the internet but i could put them on a timer without having to buy timer plugs for a bunch of outlets.

Them now saying we'll have to connect them to an account is like a direct violation of what made them interesting. We have an unused raspberry pi, that I am now looking to set up as a server for the opensource homeassistant so I'll still be able to use them, but it's definitely encroaching on the "why am i adding tech to solve a non tech issue" space for me and i definitely wouldn't recommend buying these.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I guess I just don't understand any kind of desire to take robust, simple systems and add complex, difficult to repair points of failure to them which have, at best, secondary conveniences that don't meaningfully impact the core functionality.

That's because you're not thinking very disruptively!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I have one smart light bulb

It's in the hallway light in the middle of the house

I have it set to turn blue at 9:00pm every night, which reminds me to tell the kid to go to bed, if we haven't started the bedtime routine already

I can also make it whatever color I want with the phone, but this is a pure novelty feature

Otherwise, I just turn the light on and off with the wall switch like any other light

I don't have any smart hubs or alexas or whatever

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I don't know if i could go back to turning lights on and off by hand anymore to be honest. We have three different light names in the living room alone. Alexa turn on main lights 50% brightness. Alexa turn on couch lamp rainbow mode. Etc etc. I guess it is pretty damn lazy when i stop and think about it but it works. Ours have worked pretty much flawlessly for about 2 years now. Plus when my wife isn't home i program in custom light colors to the Alexa like glans purple and labia pink and then say them out loud when we have guests over.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options

I don't like most of it, but I have a bunch of Philips Hue lights. The big things for me is they work off a bridge unit, so if that's not plugged in, they don't work via internet. Sounds bad-ish, but it means I have a way to remove them from the internet if there's a problem.

But also, it was cheaper to buy a bunch of those bulbs and a few switches than it would have been to have an electrician do a shitload of wiring in the house to make lights attach to switches. This is an old house, that would have been a ton of work. This was way less.

I'm currently working out a new network in the house. The smart home shit (mostly just those lights and the hey google devices) are going to be on their own VLAN separate from everything else, again, for safety. Gonna be a bit before I get it all together, partly because the pieces parts are going to be a bit of cash, but it's a fun bit of problem solving. And still going to be cheaper than an electrician wiring up every room in the house.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

This reminds me of every time I have a medical staff call with an IT issue and they feel bad for not thinking to reboot.

"That's okay, reboots are not a thing we want medical staff jumping too quickly to as a general diagnostic tool!"

Turning it off and then on again is actually within their purview: https://litfl.com/pharm-101-adenosine/

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Turning it off and then on again is actually within their purview: https://litfl.com/pharm-101-adenosine/

Medicine that restarts your heart? I wonder what the side effects are:

jwfpa1s0fsst.png

Yep, checks out.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I have never really set up any voice commands, so I still control my smart lights with my phone. The most useful by far is the flood light above my kitchen peninsula, which had a light switch in a very dumb place

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I have never really set up any voice commands, so I still control my smart lights with my phone. The most useful by far is the flood light above my kitchen peninsula, which had a light switch in a very dumb place

Saying "hey Google, turn on the living room lights" is really novel the first few times, but after a day we bought Hue switches.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Tynnan wrote: »

Medicine that restarts your heart? I wonder what the side effects are:

jwfpa1s0fsst.png

Yep, checks out.

Man, I got that shit without fancy heart meds.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    what if your fridge had a camera hidden in it that could secretly take pictures of you and your food, and then upload those to a third party service that your insurance company could monitor so that they could modify your rates in real time based on how unhealthy they judged your eating habits

mildly exciting, how secure is all the information being stored?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

It's all encrypted except for the passwords which are stored in a publicly accessible directory as a plain text file

• Options
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

It's all encrypted except for the passwords which are stored in a publicly accessible directory as a plain text file

The pictures are stored encrypted on company servers, but are transmitted in the clear.

They're also decrypted when sold to advertisers and your health insurance company.