Options

newest update broke the [TECH] thread

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    I would love to know what they intend to bury, seeing as there is a 50' coil of cable hanging from the side of my house

It's me, isn't it

They're going to kill me and bury me

So they never showed up

No call, no text, just nothing

?¿?

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    They're behind you

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    They're behind you

what the fuck is happening

uj7eyjl5efkc.png

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    hello I'm inside your blood and ready to assist you

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    most cable companies farm their infrastructure buildout to 3rd party contractors that run the gamut of reliability and professionalism.

one time I needed a big line run under a driveway and it took like 6 months and multiple "reschedules" for it to happen. but it wasn't really reschedules it was just the contractor had no intention of doing it until i climbed the customer service hotline ladder and they hired someone else

otoh i've had great contractors before who were more helpful than any comcast employee ever

• Options
    As someone who works for a general contractor, I can confirm that contractors are the worst

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    gUD050Ll.jpeg
    BShlaizl.jpeg
    9MZIZgOl.jpeg
    Lenovo's Motorola mobile brand is resurfacing the idea of the bendable, bracelet-like smartphone. Demoed at Lenovo Tech World '23 in Austin, Texas, yesterday, Motorola's "adaptive display" revisits a concept that we've seen discussed for years but that doesn't seem any closer to actually being sold.

On stage at the event, Lexi Valasek, 312 Labs innovation strategy and product research Lead for Motorola Mobility, proudly held a prototype. The smartphone looked ordinary to start: a slab of OLED with a chassis that's a bold orange on the backside. But Valasek quickly bent the phone into an arch shape, where it stood on her hand before she wrapped it around her wrist like a cuff.

The phone seemed to adapt to its new positioning rapidly, quickly showing a large clock, making the device feel like a smartwatch.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/10/motorola-demos-smartphone-that-can-wrap-around-your-wrist-again/

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    how durable is that screen...

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

i will only take folding phone/watch tech seriously when they can integrate this form factor and attachment method

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    get back to me when it's a slap bracelet

• Options
    the bar is low but i dont think thats the dumbest idea ever for a foldable... i think its going to take a few more iterations to make that be worth the money

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What purpose does that serve?

I could see it being useful if you're a nudist who doesn't even want to carry a sling bag, but who else would want a shitty phone that's also a giant, shitty, heavy smart watch?

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Really want my $2000 phone just hanging on my wrist like that.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    until they make a folding screen as hard as glass i'm not interested. i refuse to go back to the days of plastic screens that scratch if you look at them funny.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    The deed is done, the prophecy fulfilled

86tf3pm5pcb1.png

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    The Pact Is Sealed

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Clack goes another bead on the abacus

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

Industrial robot crushes man to death in South Korean distribution centre

The man, a robotics company worker in his 40s, was inspecting the robot’s sensor operations at a distribution centre for agricultural produce in South Gyeongsang province.

The industrial robot, which was lifting boxes filled with bell peppers and placing them on a pallet, appears to have malfunctioned and identified the man as a box, Yonhap reported, citing the police.

The robotic arm pushed the man’s upper body down against the conveyor belt, crushing his face and chest, according to Yonhap.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/nov/08/south-korean-man-killed-by-industrial-robot-in-distribution-centre

this is horrifying, but it feels like for devices this big/strong there should be some safeguard that restricts all motion if a human is within reach

• Options
    yeah that sounds like the sort of industrial accident that happens when people try to mess with the machines without shutting down the line

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Lock Out Tag Out is a thing for a reason.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Aren't robots supposed to have a clearly marked area around them you can't enter while they're operating?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    assuming there were safety precautions they either failed or were ignored

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    The US BMW plant is an absolute shit show but one thing they don't fuck around with is safety. Every robot has: full metal enclosure with a gate that requires a key, opening the gate disconnects a physical connection that disables the robot, the lock has 6 slots for lock out tag outs, each robot has between 2 to 4 infrared proximity sensors that can literally be triggered by a moth, emergency stop buttons at all gates, and electronic control panels that also have emergency stop buttons. Violating any safety procedure is an immediate firing, no second chances.

And even all that is not enough. A few years ago they had a contractor from Europe who was doing some work on one of the lifts for the car bodies as they come out of the paint shop. He was killed by the counter weight after bypassing some of the safety features. It was a terrible tragedy but at a certain point you just can't stop someone from doing something fun stupid.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    This might not be the right place to ask but where do people go for wallpapers these days?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    work bought me an M3 Pro mac... it is very good. I previously had the final gen intel... the battery life is really really insane

can run all my normal stuff + video and feels like i would get every ounce of the forecasted 18-22 hours of battery

it is really freaky to throw a heavy workload at this laptop and not only does it not get hot, it doesn't even get warm. im not sure why it even has fan ports... i can't conceive of what it would take to need them....

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Jasconius wrote: »
    work bought me an M3 Pro mac... it is very good. I previously had the final gen intel... the battery life is really really insane

can run all my normal stuff + video and feels like i would get every ounce of the forecasted 18-22 hours of battery

it is really freaky to throw a heavy workload at this laptop and not only does it not get hot, it doesn't even get warm. im not sure why it even has fan ports... i can't conceive of what it would take to need them....

i think the m2 airs are fanless, and they can throttle a bit under sustained CPU tasks like video encoding
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/07/the-new-macbook-air-runs-so-hot-that-it-affects-performance-it-isnt-the-first-time/

the pros fans are very, very quiet so you're probably getting some benefit from them without really noticing it

all of apple's silicon is really good now

but you know what they don't have

IqTlfVl.jpg

a useless touchbar like the 2019 mac pro that's my work laptop that's still stuck on an intel cpu that gets like 90 minutes of battery life and the butterfly keyboard that stops working 50% of the time

so really i'm not jealous at all

not one bit

not even mad

Brolo on
  • Options
    yeah thats what i had on my last one. its fucking awful. it also ate through its second battery and the replacement battery was going to cost over 600 dollars. NOPE

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    On Monday when I go into the office I get to swap out my 2019 16” Intel MacBook Pro for a new M2 15” MacBook Air and I honestly can’t wait to get rid of this fucking jet turbine that goes berserk every time I use Zoom.

Those later intel MacBooks were just a fucking trash fire and I can’t wait to get rid of it.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I might be slightly tempted by a Mn Air if Apple weren't so incredibly stingy with the storage - and RAM - and it weren't so incredibly expensive to upgrade them to something reasonable. 8GB/256GB was a value-tier spec 7 years ago - you can get tablets with more than that, these days - but they want £1100 for for an M2 13.6", and upgrading that to a 500GB SSD adds three hundred pounds to the price. And you're still only at 8GB RAM. And you can't upgrade either after purchase, they're soldered on.

Just fuck right off with that bullshit, Apple.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    lol what year is it, a 500 gb nvme drive is like 20 dollars.

that’s insane markup

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Apple!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    lol what year is it, a 500 gb nvme drive is like 20 dollars.

that’s insane markup

For that money Apple want to add an extra 256GB, I could buy two 2TB SSDs for my laptop!

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I mean really how different is that from other human drivers on the road?

Isn't it better that we put computers that can't be held accountable on the road instead of legally liable person's? It's called crime reduction duh

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Kadith wrote: »
    I mean really how different is that from other human drivers on the road?

Isn't it better that we put computers that can't be held accountable on the road instead of legally liable person's? It's called crime reduction duh

Replace all the people with robots, I say

No people, no crime

Problem solved

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I might be slightly tempted by a Mn Air if Apple weren't so incredibly stingy with the storage - and RAM - and it weren't so incredibly expensive to upgrade them to something reasonable. 8GB/256GB was a value-tier spec 7 years ago - you can get tablets with more than that, these days - but they want £1100 for for an M2 13.6", and upgrading that to a 500GB SSD adds three hundred pounds to the price. And you're still only at 8GB RAM. And you can't upgrade either after purchase, they're soldered on.

Fair, but what do you use all the storage for? I thought about expanding the storage, but I also asked my self why and couldn’t name why I needed more storage.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I checked on the site here and the two models shown were more different than just the storage (the 512GB model also had more GPU), but even if I go spec the lower model up, moving to a 512GB SSD is still A$300. Also, moving from 8GB RAM to 16GB RAM is also A$300. That's a lot for 8GB of RAM.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Fair, but what do you use all the storage for? I thought about expanding the storage, but I also asked my self why and couldn’t name why I needed more storage.

Yea i asked this myself going to my mini. I cant run the giant video games, and most of my pictures and videos are stored in the cloud and external backups.

I guess if you were doing tons of video editing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

Yea i asked this myself going to my mini. I cant run the giant video games, and most of my pictures and videos are stored in the cloud and external backups.

I guess if you were doing tons of video editing.

For my use case a comparable MBP was over £3000. I ended up with a Lenovo Thinkbook with 32gb RAM, 1TB SSD and a discrete RTX 3060 for something like £1200.

I realise I'm in the minority though as looking at my current usage I'm up to 28GB RAM used with just my usual set of programs running and the contents of my /home directory where I've got all my repos and containers is sitting at over 600GB currently. The source files of multiple large software products with all the dependencies installed take up way more space than you'd think.

But the point is moot because it's work's money and they were willing to buy the MBP, I just couldn't wait the 2 month lead time that was on them at the time.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin