Options

newest update broke the [TECH] thread

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    I might be slightly tempted by a Mn Air if Apple weren't so incredibly stingy with the storage - and RAM - and it weren't so incredibly expensive to upgrade them to something reasonable. 8GB/256GB was a value-tier spec 7 years ago - you can get tablets with more than that, these days - but they want £1100 for for an M2 13.6", and upgrading that to a 500GB SSD adds three hundred pounds to the price. And you're still only at 8GB RAM. And you can't upgrade either after purchase, they're soldered on.

Just fuck right off with that bullshit, Apple.

Fair, but what do you use all the storage for? I thought about expanding the storage, but I also asked my self why and couldn’t name why I needed more storage.

Audiobooks. Videos. Games. Them gigamabites get chewed up real fast.

And if I don't want to use a lot of local storage that's fine, I can just get the 256GB base model, but nothing justifies three hundred quid for a 256GB SSD upgrade in 2023. IDC if that drive is pure SLC NAND (and it's definitely not), that's still overpriced.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Omegle Was Forced to Shut Down by a Lawsuit From a Sexual Abuse Survivor

Genuinely surprised Omegle was still going. I thought it and chat roulette had died off ages ago.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    EU recently: you have to be able to opt out of tracking.

Meta today: you can opt out of tracking and ads for 13€/month.

Me: fuck off!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    wow what a cool hack, wonder why more places don't try that

OSHA: *workplace safety requirements*
    Employer: Welcome to work! You need to wear this safety equipment! Also you have to rent it from us.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    wow what a cool hack, wonder why more places don't try that

OSHA: *workplace safety requirements*
    Employer: Welcome to work! You need to wear this safety equipment! Also you have to rent it from us.

It's not unknown

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Whichever Android decided that the Mobile Bookmarks and Reading List tabs needed to be switched, just, tell me why? My muscle memory is just fucking up the program, lol.

• Options
    Further to the discussion about memory and storage expectations in a laptop that people use to do things with, this caught my eye as the kind of thing that Apple are asking you to believe that non-upgradable 8GB RAM and 256GB storage is a credible alternative to

https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/TUXEDO-Pulse-14-Gen3

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    So, new 15” MacBook Air kicks ass. This thing is such a nice upgrade from my 16” i7 from 2019. It has a lot going for it: lighter weight, thinner, better battery, MagSafe charging, etc. But the big one is the full size function F-key row and no more fucking Touch Bar.

Also, thunderbolt 3 doesn’t fuck around. Finished up a 150gb data migration in under 15 minutes while I was grabbing coffee on the corner.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I wish my phone's screen wouldn't turn on when I'm talking on the phone. It happens often, I usually end up toggling things off and on in the pulldown settings menu

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    hey, hey you, I want to get an SSD but they are strange to me, help.

I'm not sure I have a slot on my motherboard for an M.2. ditto SATA, because I don't plan ahead.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular

I'm not sure I have a slot on my motherboard for an M.2. ditto SATA, because I don't plan ahead.

When did you buy your motherboard

Because unless it's very old it likely has at least a few SATA ports

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    you probably have sata ports if your computer features... any drives at all... sata has been common for over a decade

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    You almost certainly have a SATA port yeah, and there are also adapters for M.2 to PCI-e if you really need it, so there's plenty of ways you can get that hooked up. My last purchase was the Samsung 990 PRO 2TB because it was on sale so I could buy two, I ended up using a PCI-e adapter because I misunderstood what my manual said about one of my M.2 ports.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

if you're on windows, hit win+r

then type in msinfo32

vnJlPGw.png

under the BaseBoard Product entry you'll see the model of your motherboard

from there you should be able to just type that model into google, and that will get you to a manual and spec sheet that will tell you what drive slots you have available

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    And don't worry about M.2 vs SATA drive, the difference in speed especially in an older computer will not be enough to bother with. Get that inexpensive SATA drive and revel in the lightspeed you'll be cruising at.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yay for helpful nerds! ♥

aw dip my motherboard does indeed have a bunch of SATA slots and an M.2, gotta check later and make sure there's a clear spot for it

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    And don't worry about M.2 vs SATA drive, the difference in speed especially in an older computer will not be enough to bother with. Get that inexpensive SATA drive and revel in the lightspeed you'll be cruising at.

M.2 is a form factor. SATA and NVMe are protocols with NVMe being faster than SATA. You can get either SATA or NVMe drives in an M.2 form factor but SATA and NVMe are not necessarily compatible in the same slot.

The motherboard slot will be keyed that will for example physically prevent you from installing an NVMe M-key M.2 into a SATA M+B-key (or B-key) M.2 slot. However it's also possible that the slot is NVMe M-Key and you can physically plug in a SATA M+B-key to that but there's no guarantee the motherboard will read a SATA drive in that slot. You'd need to check the documentation first to see if the slot supports both protocols.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Testing out my new toy (Framework with AMD Ryzen 7 7840U & 32g RAM)
    So I just installed Steam, and I'm downloading a couple games.

I've discovered that the fans at max sound a lot like ocean surf. Nice improvement over the jet engine blast of my partner's...

80C while strained, back down to 43 now that it's done. In the 60s while creating a Sim. Seems alright!

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    All this recent talk here and elsewhere about cheap SSDs these days has lined up fairly well one of my wife's old platter drives seeming to die.

So I'm wondering how cheap are we talkin' here

Looking around it seems like 500gb is $30-40, 1tb ~$50-70, and 2tb ~$90-110.

Are there any particular outliers that aren't some unknown manufacturer that anyone here is aware of that beats that?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    All this recent talk here and elsewhere about cheap SSDs these days has lined up fairly well one of my wife's old platter drives seeming to die.

Are there any particular outliers that aren't some unknown manufacturer that anyone here is aware of that beats that?

I'd say just lock it to reputable manufacturers first, then go looking. Samsung, Kingston, WD Black and Crucial all have decent reps.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Just for clarification, there are WD black HDD and SSD.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    PNY's generally pretty good too. Microcenter's store brand (Inland) is solid, too.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

Can your wife wait a couple weeks? Black Friday and Cyber Monday typically offer pretty significant discounts across models.

• Options
    Got a nice stack of 8TB drives from work to add into my NAS.

Now I just wait the… 4.75 days for it to finish adding the new drives to the pool.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

I'd say just lock it to reputable manufacturers first, then go looking. Samsung, Kingston, WD Black and Crucial all have decent reps.

If you're doing an NVME/M.2 drive, also check out Intel. They usually have very good cost to performance/reliability options.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i thought intel stopped making ssds

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i thought intel stopped making ssds

They still do, though looking at pricing, doesn't seem like the Intel drives are seeing the price drops other manufacturers like WD are right now. So probably disregard them for the time being from a price standpoint. Quality wise, we use them at work and have had no issues with them.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

Can your wife wait a couple weeks? Black Friday and Cyber Monday typically offer pretty significant discounts across models.

That's a good point :P

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Oh neat my Chromebook tablet decided to brick itself on this latest update.

Well, I did buy this to learn how to Chromebook so here we are. Guess I get to learn how to make a recovery usb and reinstall the OS

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »

If you're doing an NVME/M.2 drive, also check out Intel. They usually have very good cost to performance/reliability options.

Also Sabrent. I've had good experiences with their Rocket m2 drives as they hit the sweet spot of speed / size / price when they're on offer. I think I managed to get a 1TB Rocket for £90 last year and prices are already down to £70.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Can I ask this in here? I currently use an android phone, but I've been looking at two used (rated A) phones, iphone 14 and pixel 7 pro. I understand the bits about ram, storage and battery, but otherwise can't really tell you much. I've only used androids so far, but I'm willing to learn ios. Which will last longer in terms of updates and battery life?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Can I ask this in here? I currently use an android phone, but I've been looking at two used (rated A) phones, iphone 14 and pixel 7 pro. I understand the bits about ram, storage and battery, but otherwise can't really tell you much. I've only used androids so far, but I'm willing to learn ios. Which will last longer in terms of updates and battery life?

i own the pixel 7 pro. it's... fine. for the amount of money it cost and being google's own flagship, it could really be a better phone. battery life isn't great, there are still a few funky bugs and hardware issues like flickering screens, and some features like integration with google's own pixel buds could be a lot better. the pixel 7 pro should get updates until 2025, 2027 for security updates

i would probably say the iphone will likely last longer, but the iphone experience is generally better if the rest of your hardware is also from apple (airdropping files to your mac, syncing with your apple watch, etc). iphone 14s are supposed to be supported until 2029

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I like the pixel 7 pro camera

And my battery life isn't terrible if I keep my screen brightness low enough

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    If you're not already locked into Apple's ecosystem you should stay the hell out imo.

• Options
    Go with the iPhone, out of those two, if we’re being OS agnostic. The 14 is an incredibly solid phone that gets good battery life and will last a long time. Apple tends to do a better job of supporting old hardware, if you’re someone who doesn’t want to buy a new phone every year.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    the iphone might be a better phone but also apple's software and their accessory ecosystem is overpriced and very "we own you now"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    my iphone 11 pro is a little over 4 years old and its still about 82% of factory battery life and is still getting OS updates day 1

i think it will probably last me another two years. its still pretty much all day battery life unless I really abuse it hard

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    idk i only use an iphone and ipad as part of apples ecosystem and i don’t really ever engage with the truly ludicrous parts of the apple pricing scheme. just don’t buy your cables through them or whatever.

i have a 14 pro max and it has been really great, battery frequently lasts 2 days even under heavy use.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I mean, if you don’t buy cases or cables or whatever directly from Apple like some kind of rube I don’t see the issue. I can get the same $15 cases and $7 charging cables and $15 screen protectors for iPhones and (most) Android phones. It’s usually easier, if anything, to find cheap iPhone cases.

I haven’t run into any situations I can think of where any software I was buying was dramatically more expensive on the Apple side of the fence, either.

It’s just one of those things where I think that for the vast majority of people there just isn’t any major difference aside from which OS you’re used to using, or which one you have any investment in paid apps on.

But for sure, absolutely never buy anything directly from Apple where you can avoid it.

minor incident on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Does anyone make an external housing for ssd's that is sort of...exposed? I don't know how exactly to explain what I have in my head. It would be a low profile base with ports for the drives so the stick up like snes cartridges.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART