Options

I have become poster, destroyer of [movie] threads (Spoilers for Barbie plz)

JokermanJokerman EverythingEverywhereRegistered User regular
edited October 2023 in Social Entropy++
ji4sclifscz9.jpg

legka06jmir6.png

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    They should put Bezos and Musk in a locked room with Samuel L. Jackson

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I watched Conan the Barbarian again the other day. That's a damn movie right there

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Watched Detective Pikachu last night. Genuinely a lot of fun, enjoyed it a lot!

I know there is a sequel planned, but I kinda don't... want one? It was a fun story that wrapped up in the end, I don't know that a sequel can necessarily add to the experience of it.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I feel like it’s been too long to make a Detective Pikachu sequel. The ship has sailed.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

I know there is a sequel planned, but I kinda don't... want one? It was a fun story that wrapped up in the end, I don't know that a sequel can necessarily add to the experience of it.

you say that but consider:

a sequel about psyduck and lucy as roving reporters investigating the missing number, the "missing no" for short

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular

a sequel about psyduck and lucy as roving reporters investigating the missing number, the "missing no" for short

Shit, you got me,

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

They should investigate the case of a rare creature being trapped underneath a truck on a secluded island.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

They should investigate the case of a rare creature being trapped underneath a truck on a secluded island.

It probably died of old age. 27 years old seems pretty old for a Mew.

• Options
    detective pikachu 2: detective pikablu

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Do Pokemons have mortal lifespans?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    We all know what the sequel to Detective Pikachu needs to be focused on...
    DETECTIVE PIKACHU GOES HAWAIIAN
    surf-pikachu.gif

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    99% of the time, I hate box office scoreboard chasing, but

1cuhk3sx5m9w.png

Barbie literally doubling Oppenheimer is sure something

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I can't wait for someone to make the gritty dramatization about this whole Barbenheimer arms race.

Millicent and Julius, a limited series coming to Hulu in 2025.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

1cuhk3sx5m9w.png

One of the most popular IP's in the world dominating a 3 hour R rated movie about a scientist? I know what horse I'm betting on.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oppenheimer is also a film that is guaranteed to be a huge bummer unless you're a sociopath.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    So I’m alone this weekend and kinda sad. Thought, hey maybe I’ll go to the Alamo for the nuke movie tomorrow to kill some time.

Yeah no. Sold out. Every showing.

Okay. I’ll just go see barbie a second time. Check Barbie. Also sold out all day.

Barbie has almost three time the showing as Oppenheimer 14 vs 5 on Saturday and is also in the bigger theater.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen my day to day friends posting ticket stubs or purchase confirmations for movies on this scale before. Shockingly both Barbie and Oppenheimer.

I could get cynical about this but I’m just happy anyone is excited about movies without a spider-man in ‘em.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I’m doing my part for both movies tomorrow

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

1cuhk3sx5m9w.png

One of the most popular IP's in the world dominating a 3 hour R rated movie about a scientist? I know what horse I'm betting on.

a biopic shot partially in black and white to boot

oppenheimer was never going to come close to barbie in terms of ticket sales

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    "Wisconsin, Michigan, could go for Barbie, could go for Oppenheimer. Nolan’s always done well in the Midwest but a lot of people there loved Little Women. On the East Coast, New York favoring Oppenheimer, his home state, no surprise there, Pennsylvania too close to call…"

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Weirdly I read that in the voice of Rusty Venture.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Oppenheimer is also a film that is guaranteed to be a huge bummer unless you're a sociopath.

I gotta be honest, I did not expect the movie to be Paths of Glory in the third act.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Rewatching Detective Pikachu is fun just because almost every shot is just stuffed eith details

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen my day to day friends posting ticket stubs or purchase confirmations for movies on this scale before. Shockingly both Barbie and Oppenheimer.

I could get cynical about this but I’m just happy anyone is excited about movies without a spider-man in ‘em.

i am simultaneously enjoying this moment and dreading the inevitable future attempts to manufacture another like it

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

i am simultaneously enjoying this moment and dreading the inevitable future attempts to manufacture another like it

HitleRubik's '26

• Options
    Oh yeah. We are gunna a long string of failures born from today. Whether it’s forcing counter-programmed movies into memed double features or an ironic fisher price movie.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I think they are going to try it and it will feel artificial enough that they will be punished for it, which is a thought I enjoy

• Options
    edited July 2023
    but also just relishing the superhero demise on a personal level. Ruined a lot of the comics industry too so it’s nice to see them eat shit with the mainstream again. Look forward to people being embarrassed by explaining MODOK to their friends. That’s how it should be.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    but also fuck superheroes. Ruined a lot of the comics industry too so it’s nice to see them eat shit with the mainstream again. Look forward to people being embarrassed by explaining MODOK to their friends. That’s how it should be.

I really interested to see the long term results of manga overtaking comic books, for younger generations

• Options
    I’d honestly just be happy if movies left the entirety of sequential art alone for awhile. Too much of an impulse to look at them like storyboards which they are emphatically not that.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Movies were always a poor fit for comic books imo

I've said for ages that comics are better suited to TV

• Options
    Disney really fucked that association right up lol

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Should I watch They Cloned Tyrone tonight?

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    I'm definitely waiting a couple weeks to barbenheimer, packed theaters are unfun to me

• Options
    asofyeun wrote: »
    I'm definitely waiting a couple weeks to barbenheimer, packed theaters are unfun to me

One nice thing about a smaller town. Theaters are rarely packed. Especially during the day. Foolish people are out fishing and boating like idiots.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I know it’s not exactly a movie full of logic but I feel like if Deadpool was turned into a mouse again it would be, well, as weird as the first time I suppose.

• Options
    asofyeun wrote: »

One nice thing about a smaller town. Theaters are rarely packed. Especially during the day. Foolish people are out fishing and boating like idiots.

I rarely get packed theaters here, but every Barbie showing so far has been packed

• Options

Part of the problem is that they decided they should just stretch out one plot into a miniseries instead of utilizing the strength of the medium to tell a series of stories

You know, like comic books

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    At the drafthouse nearest me there is a showing at 9:45am on a Sunday for Barbie and it is completely sold out except the front row.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Part of the problem is that they decided they should just stretch out one plot into a miniseries instead of utilizing the strength of the medium to tell a series of stories

You know, like comic books

Can’t be embarrassed to make a soap opera when adapting superheroes. That’s always been the biggest mistake in modern comics and movie adaptations.

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.