Options

I have become poster, destroyer of [movie] threads (Spoilers for Barbie plz)

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Marvel in particular is almost specifically built on that concept!

The most popular comics at the time were like, romance comics and stuff, Marvel exists because all their superheroes are messy bitches.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Emily blunt was given a delicious piece of ACTING in the third act of oppenheimer and by God she devoured it.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Messy drama and writers working out their fetishes. That’s the secret sauce of superheroes. And Disney is allergic to both.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Chris Claremont desperately wants to tell you about his mind control kink

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I was legitimately surprised by just... how much they got away with in Barbie. Can definitely see why there were stories on Mattel being uncomfortable with the film / having to be convinced. Thank goodness they were, because it was fantastic.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    The Stan Lee Doc on Disney is..meh. It's not that interesting really. Too much time spent describing the books they put together and the characters rather than like, you know. Stan Lee. But the real easy miss was they made little diorama's of young stan or an office etc to fill the screen while they narrated some history, or played an audio only interview. Instead of, you know, using some fucking comic book panels. Come on people.

It reeks of like guess where your favorite movie person came from, this nerd shit. Can you believe it? Or like it's the life story of the guy that did them cameos. It's not THAT bad, but it's pretty mid. There's a lot of material ripe for a documentary about how somewhere like golden age Marvel worked, and the personal lives and history of the people who worked there. Don't one by one explain Spider-Man, the Hulk, and the Fantastic Four. Waste of time.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    I don't think it is actually possible to make a good Stan Lee documentary

It's a complicated story, the people who would be able to tell it aren't even alive anymore, and there's so many business considerations involved that I don't think we can ever really get an honest reckoning with who Stan Lee was

• Options
    Only way to do a proper Stan Lee documentary is pulling out a Ouija Board and getting Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko on the horn and just let them go.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Like we have enough of Stan Lee being his own hype man, but he is also a carney-ass liar.

And we have like, Jack Kirby's remaining family but whatever stories they have are second hand and likely to be somewhat fractured and more than a little acrimonious. (For good reason!)

I don't think it's actually possible anymore to get an accurate picture. Which isn't to say that Stan Lee didn't contribute anything to the process, but it's difficult to impossible to tease out what he did contribute.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Only way to do a proper Stan Lee documentary is pulling out a Ouija Board and getting Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko on the horn and just let them go.

I suspect they're too busy being locked in eternal struggle to answer.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Jack Kirby killed the shit out of Nazis

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Jack Kirby killed the shit out of Nazis

Yeah, and Ditko was an objectivist libertarian (right?). I suppose at the time that wasn't quite as Nazi-adjacent as it is now...

• Options
    Let's be real, Steve Ditko's ghost wouldn't even want to talk to you

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Steve Ditko had some wild crank beliefs. But I think his true ethos was "leave me alone and fuck Stan Lee"

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    but also fuck superheroes. Ruined a lot of the comics industry too so it’s nice to see them eat shit with the mainstream again. Look forward to people being embarrassed by explaining MODOK to their friends. That’s how it should be.

I really interested to see the long term results of manga overtaking comic books, for younger generations

I feel like we've been in that cycle in some form or another for nearly 25 years now, because manga has felt increasingly more popular relative to cape comics year-over-year for basically my entire living memory (which, incidentally, starts exactly early enough for the 1998 release of Pokemon and Toonami to blow my mind as a four year old). Though, the last 4-5 years or so have definitely been huge in a way even I'd never anticipated, like the one that blew my mind just in the last couple months and I was reminded of tonight while shopping is that there is a whole manga shelf at Target now

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Welp. Just got out of the theater. Is Barbie one of the best movies ever made?

Yes.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Oppenheimer making $75 million is pretty good

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Saw this headline on Facebook

blm1uklxyngr.jpeg

And like, dude, her last film was a $50 million adaptation of a famous book with an absolutely stacked cast of Hollywood A-listers that made almost a quarter of a billion dollars. I absolutely hate these kinds of bullshit purity test crab bucket dumbass takes. No one needs your feigned outrage over someone you probably don’t give a shit about and whether you think they “sold out.” Fuck you.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Continue to let folks know I would sell out in a heartbeat. Give me a bunch of money and I’ll abandon almost all my morals and ideals. Almost all

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

I really wish there was a way to know how much of that is because of Barbenheimer.

I had no intention of see Oppenheimer in the theater until it became a thing.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    what selling out means lost all credibility awhile ago but especially when the movie landscape is dominated by huge corporations

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Selling out in this case means making a Barbie movie into the biggest movie event of the summer on the strength of "it looks really good"

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Not artistic?!?!? Did they not watch that movie?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

I really wish there was a way to know how much of that is because of Barbenheimer.

Some of it was almost certainly that, but Oppenheimer has a bunch of movie stars and is from one of the more respected directors working. I doubt it would have bombed without this hype

• Options

There’s a particular mindset that says pop and “art” are diametrically opposed. It’s a dumb, toxic mindset, but it’s awfully prevalent among a certain type.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Steve Ditko had some wild crank beliefs. But I think his true ethos was "leave me alone and fuck Stan Lee"

I feel like you have not seen Ditko's magnum opus, the truly unhinged "superhero" comic Mr. A, about a guy whose whole deal is showing up at the scenes of crimes to lecture the victims about how everything happening to them is actually their own fault

• Options
    Someone on Twitter pointed out that The Dark Knight and Mamma Mia! also came out on the same day in July back in 2008.

Maybe the internet just wasn’t ready for The Dark Mamma! at the time.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

we're having one of the worst box office summers in ages even in spite of most of society trying desperately to move on from the pandemic

so Barbie and Oppenheimer posting two of the bigger openings of the year in tandem feels like a pretty big deal!!

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

blm1uklxyngr.jpeg

And like, dude, her last film was a $50 million adaptation of a famous book with an absolutely stacked cast of Hollywood A-listers that made almost a quarter of a billion dollars. I absolutely hate these kinds of bullshit purity test crab bucket dumbass takes. No one needs your feigned outrage over someone you probably don’t give a shit about and whether you think they “sold out.” Fuck you.

Greta gerwig is a goddamm genius. We do not deserve her. Fuck this engagement bait bullshit.

• Options
    edited July 2023

I feel like you have not seen Ditko's magnum opus, the truly unhinged "superhero" comic Mr. A, about a guy whose whole deal is showing up at the scenes of crimes to lecture the victims about how everything happening to them is actually their own fault

Oh I have.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Some of it was almost certainly that, but Oppenheimer has a bunch of movie stars and is from one of the more respected directors working. I doubt it would have bombed without this hype

Oh 100%

Oppenheimer would have done just fine on it’s own. I’m just curious what the difference would be

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Every time I thought I knew where Barbie was going, it swerved, and I was on board for every one.
    When it reached the "end" of the story and then asked "Hey whats Barbies ending??" I was left fully in tears.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

There’s a particular mindset that says pop and “art” are diametrically opposed. It’s a dumb, toxic mindset, but it’s awfully prevalent among a certain type.

Also, probably not

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Jokerman wrote: »

blm1uklxyngr.jpeg

Greta gerwig is a goddamm genius. We do not deserve her. Fuck this engagement bait bullshit.

I mean, she's a woman, and how dare she impugn the purity of her art with her womanness and suchlike. Only manly men of menfolk can make real art!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Barbie is absolutely fucking brilliant

It is a complete must see. Genius.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Would Barbie be interesting to a 9 year old girl or is it more adult focused?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

On that note, Todd in the Shadows video on Barbie Girl is touches on that pretty well while being topical

https://youtu.be/cqE9B1_9TpQ

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    OPPENHEIMER TIME

In my usual fashion I was an hour early for the noon showing.

• Options
    The only thing I hate about seeing a movie at this theater alone is all of the seating are loveseats. So you either look like a lonely boy sitting in a loveseat alone or you have to share it with a stranger

This discussion has been closed.