Options

I have become poster, destroyer of [movie] threads (Spoilers for Barbie plz)

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I just remembered the Little Shop of Horrors cartoon
    https://youtu.be/mkJJQpzejJE?si=TNQTnU62S9SgIkzZ

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I've never seen Rocky Horror Picture Show. But the rest of my family have all seen the stage show which means I have seen my dad and brother in drag, so I guess I can thank(?) it for that experience.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    When my brother was applying to college, he visited my campus because he was waitlisted there. I took him to the student Rocky Horror production, and he spent most of it stood next to a naked guy. It clearly didn’t scare him off, though, because he got in off the waitlist and went there.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    In some countries standing next to a naked man is reserved for kings and lords.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I just remembered the Little Shop of Horrors cartoon
    https://youtu.be/mkJJQpzejJE?si=TNQTnU62S9SgIkzZ

Ah, the good old 90s trend of making everything a kids show.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Two of the first things that happened to me upon entering high school and making friends with weird older kids was getting shoved face first into The Ramones and Rocky Horror, and like… yeah, definitely core memories of outsized impact on my poor barely-teenaged brain.

Little Shop of Horrors came slightly later, but it definitely had more staying power than Rocky Horror for me, as far as still being able to watch it and enjoy it as much as the first time.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I bounced hard off Rocky Horror because my flavor of weird was all boring nerd, not queer theater kid.
    Also, at least around here, actual improv was discouraged - here is the script, you will follow it (and if you don't know it, you're an outsider). The whole thing felt as formal and ritualized as any Catholic mass.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Watched the Exorcist for second day of October. I know I must have seen it before since it's my Dad's favorite scary movie, and I've definitely seen parts of it, but I don't really remember watching the whole thing.

My Dad talked about how scary it was and I don't really feel it's that scary of a movie, but it does a great job of building up the tension and it's definitely a shocking movie. It's a classic for a reason and a much better watch than yesterday's movie.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I’ve never actually watched Rocky Horror properly, but my mum once did a bodybuilding performance to Time Warp while a bunch of twinks danced around her, so I think I got the gist

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That is one fuck of a sentence, Veldrin.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I’ve never actually watched Rocky Horror properly, but my mum once did a bodybuilding performance to Time Warp while a bunch of twinks danced around her, so I think I got the gist

your mom seems cool

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m watching As the Gods Will

This movie is a fucking trip. I love it

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    In Wow I had a macro set on my mage saying it's just a step to the left when I used time warp. With the achievement of got money on my mind few people have said stuff about it over the years

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    So I was watching Django unchained for the first time and the scene that stuck with me the most was the KKK riding in

Mostly cause some poor fool fell off his horse and got fucked up and I'm like surely they did more then one take?? There's a riderless horse in some frames later gunning it like it's scared and not a lead do I really just have s lot of questions

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I remember the scene but don't recall a dude falling off, but the KKK dudes are portrayed as such utter dipshits I wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional, or at the very least Quentin saw it happen and was like "yeah of course these guys would fall off their horses, keep it in"

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I remember the scene but don't recall a dude falling off, but the KKK dudes are portrayed as such utter dipshits I wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional, or at the very least Quentin saw it happen and was like "yeah of course these guys would fall off their horses, keep it in"

Yeah I'd basically guarantee that was intentionally done, the movie is not shy about what it thinks about the KKK

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Don Johnson was incredible as Big Daddy, that whole part caught me off guard.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Movie #4 of Raijinween

The Boogeyman

I don’t want to alarm you but there may be a boogeyman or boogeyMEN in the house!

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Finally got around to Skinamarink last night.

Glad I broke out the "good" headphones for this. What a lovely ASMR experience.
    Jokes aside, I really liked this movie. Although I think I was more creeped out during the first 40 minutes than I was after things actually kicked off.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    The Boogeyman isn’t bad but

It’s like they took a checklist of horror movie tropes and made sure they covered each of them in turn.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Watched Casper last night and what an absurdly stacked cast for a cartoon movie adaptation.

The weirdest thing in the movie is definitely that Casper and the three rowdy ghosts look like traditional ghosts, but when characters die and come back as a ghost they come back as a weird mix between looking like the person and being a traditional ghost. The movie also really blows by that Bill Pullman's character dies and is brought back by the Lazarus machine and there's no real comment on what that means. I mean it's a kid movie, so I get it, but still kind of odd.

The set design of the basement of the house with the laboratory is very good. A fun movie.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »

Jokes aside, I really liked this movie. Although I think I was more creeped out during the first 40 minutes than I was after things actually kicked off.

I also watched this recently, and ended up not liking it all that much. I appreciate the artistry and style of it, but it just didn't really do anything for me scares-wise.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Had fun with Without Warning last night. Basically a slasher movie with an alien gray instead of a jason. Also Martin Landau and Jack Palance playing dueling backwoods wild haired weirdos. Crescendos with Jack Palance charging a big ass alien screaming "ALIEN ALIEN ALEEEEEYUN" over and over.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    The Boogeyman had one of the weirdest song choices at the end credits drop…

• Options
    Guess I’ll watch Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey next.

Very low expectation on this one

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Movie #4 of Raijinween

The Boogeyman

I don’t want to alarm you but there may be a boogeyman or boogeyMEN in the house!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbkDJXKm3sY

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Ladai wrote: »

I also watched this recently, and ended up not liking it all that much. I appreciate the artistry and style of it, but it just didn't really do anything for me scares-wise.

I stopped it halfway through. I appreciate what it's trying to do but it didn't capture my attention and I disliked the camera work and lighting. I'm not criticising those choices, it's just not my personal taste

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Movie #4 of Raijinween

The Boogeyman

“None of this would have happened if you were here to keep me from doing something STUPID!”

I have used this line on my wife many, MANY times

• Options
    I need to get into a dark room and the right mood and try watching Skinamarink again.

Maybe with a few people who scare easily because I think crowd reaction would play into the movie really well.

Sitting and watching it by myself during the day…it was just boring

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Movie #4 of Raijinween

The Boogeyman

"Brett said you ran away from him as if he were the Boogety-man?"
    "Boogeyman."
    "...Boogey?!"
    "I'm quite sure."

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think I just mostly think Skinamarink sucks

I feel slightly obligated to couch that with respect for what it's doing or whatever because I know so many other horror people really liked it, but I didn't really enjoy it, my experience watching it was bad (I had two people sensitive to flashing lights watching it with me, which might be related), and while I've read enough about it to recognize that it was trying to do certain Things, those things didn't work for me at all

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    unpopular opinion: too much analog horror is heavily reliant on non-linear storytelling rather than actually telling a story

• Options
    edited October 2023
    If anyone is curious what the premise of Blood and Honey is but doesn’t want to watch it…
    Christopher Robin finds his way to the 100 Acre Wood, does the whole friends thing, Brings them food, etc…then he gets older and stops coming. The Pooh characters are starving to death and decide they need to eat one of their own to survive so they eat Eeyore. This drives them to madness and they vow to never speak again. Christopher Robin brings his girlfriend back to the woods when they are older and finds them all homicidal. Now there is a group of girls staying at the house there and Christopher Robin is chained up in the basement. Oh, Piglet snapped his girlfriend’s neck.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    If anyone is curious what the premise of Blood and Honey is but doesn’t want to watch it…
    Christopher Robin finds his way to the 100 Acre Wood, does the whole friends thing, Brings them food, etc…then he gets older and stops coming. The Pooh characters are starving to death and decide they need to eat one of their own to survive so they eat Eeyore. This drives them to madness and they vow to never speak again. Christopher Robin brings his girlfriend back to the woods when they are older and finds them all homicidal. Now there is a group of girls staying at the house there and Christopher Robin is chained up in the basement. Oh, Piglet snapped his girlfriend’s neck.

Haha holy shit yes, gonna definitely watch this.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think Skinamarink has the most violent ratio of rapturous buzz to sucking shit I have encountered in quite some time, canadian media was fucking insufferable about it

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Haha holy shit yes, gonna definitely watch this.

It’s not AS bad as I expected

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I was really excited going into Skinamarink after all the breathless coverage about what a brilliant, terrifying analog horror movie it was, and then I was bored out of my fucking mind the entire time.

The only part of it I authentically liked was the last shot, which, to its credit, is very good.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The goofs on Skinamarink were way better than the movie itself

https://youtu.be/qQ1NDTHA85I

• Options
    Joe Biden in the Skinamarink House is the only good use of AI.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Had fun with Without Warning last night. Basically a slasher movie with an alien gray instead of a jason. Also Martin Landau and Jack Palance playing dueling backwoods wild haired weirdos. Crescendos with Jack Palance charging a big ass alien screaming "ALIEN ALIEN ALEEEEEYUN" over and over.

May I recommend the other 80’s Palance and Landau horror classic Alone in the Dark?

https://youtu.be/m3srNkI0pZE?si=4ASMJgHuo7F9mdoa

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
This discussion has been closed.