Options

WH40K 10th Edition: Roll your dice, then reroll them.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Damn, I was just about to buy Assault Marines to make Skyclaws for my Space Wolves and Ironclad Dreadnoughts to continue my oops all dreadnought shit.

Saved you some cash.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    I’m still a little perplexed by the Primaris X Firstborn designs from a meta gaming perspective: aside from a few outliers (Demons, Custodes, Necrons, Knights) armies typically have a Troop choice with some special weapons, and elite melee troops and elite ranged troops that are all equipped with those special weapons. And I think that style works really well since the Troop choice can punch a little above its weight but isn’t efficient enough to take out heavier targets regularly. The Firstborn largely set that standard.

Primaris feel weaker because of that lack, and it also doesn’t fit into the fantasy of a squad of Space Marines being this universal problem solving unit. Moreover, it makes the special weapons guys feel like the same dudes who remembered to bring their good toys instead of Marines who have trained in specialized warfare. The Abilities in 10th help with that, but I think it’d be better emphasized if we could take a single Hellblaster or Infernus Marine in each squad of 5 intercessors.

Obviously the meta-meta answer is so GW can sell more Space Marine kits. But I think that's at the cost of the fantasy of playing Space Marines which will ultimately cut into their sales.

Edit: Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if in 11th edition you are able to sub in special weapons guys into your Intercessor squads, or mix & match Hellblasters & Desolators etc. The upcoming Space Marine Heroes set due out this summer seems to have a mix of loadouts and armor types that will be used in Kill Team, and I wouldn't be surprised if they become a bespoke unit for 40k as well (like Kill Team Cassius). Maybe when Firstborn are all gone, Primaris will one-for-one replace all the old Firstborn units, i.e. Primaris Tactical/Assault/Demolition Squads.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    This really drives home to me that primaris being a new, separate thing and not just "these are marines now" was a terrible way to handle this. These cuts have been a long time coming. They need to just yank this bandage off already and be done with it.

I love the goofy charm of a lot of old 2nd edition minis but those bikes ain't it.

Didn't primaris scouts already show up (kind of) with Black Templars? Those were super rad.

It was sort of a double-edged sword for GW. I can understand not wanting to deal with a zillion people screaming in incoherent rage that their old models had just been invalidated and that they were being forced to buy an entire new army worth of units, and even with that they probably didn't have capacity to do a 100% range refresh for every infantry Astartes model at the time.

(They definitely could now, stock went from $9 in Jan 2017 six months before 8th launched to $145 today so they can (and have) bought some extra production capacity, but it would have been a big ask for 2017 when they launched with intercessors, hellblasters, inceptors, and a couple of characters.)

If they had it to do over again I imagine they'd have just said fuck it and launched 8th with new, Primaris-scale kits for Tac, Assault, and Dev squads and trickled out the rest over time, but I can understand the fear that people would have seen it as a money grab given their rep back then.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    I mean at this point theyve got firstborn down to what? Tactical, Devestation, and Vanguard Vets? Sternguard and terminators are mixed now. Mixed vvets are a matter of time.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I much prefer the CSM method of just updating the range opposed to the Loyalist method of constant brinksmanship and new units.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    literally every other faction range just has updated models.
    Tyranids didnt get primaris'd termagants and hormagaunts and genestealers. They just got new kits to replace the 20 year old ones.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    literally every other faction range just has updated models.
    Tyranids didnt get primaris'd termagants and hormagaunts and genestealers. They just got new kits to replace the 20 year old ones.

Other factions don't make up somewhere between a half and three-quarters of GW's total revenue. You treat that guy different.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Damn, I was just about to buy Assault Marines to make Skyclaws for my Space Wolves and Ironclad Dreadnoughts to continue my oops all dreadnought shit.

Saved you some cash.

Wait for the Heresy era Mk VI assault marines later in the year. Not only the second best mark of power armour, but they won’t look absurdly tiny next to Primaris units in the same army, if the base squad is anything to go by.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I think the primaris thing was partially with the leadership change and the delay with what they did between 7th and 8th.

They may have originally just been replacements. But due to reasons it wasn't working but they wanted to release them.

I am curious where this puts Deathwatch vets.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Saved you some cash.

Wait for the Heresy era Mk VI assault marines later in the year. Not only the second best mark of power armour, but they won’t look absurdly tiny next to Primaris units in the same army, if the base squad is anything to go by.

I wasn't the biggest mk6 fan at first but it turns out painting them is way more fun than mk3 and mk4. The lack of trim and clean lines makes it just more enjoyable.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Did they at least stop pretending that "this is the way things have always been?" crap, with regards the revisions to Space Marines?

It was one thing that came across as way too 1984ish from GW, in an attempt to stagnate the fuck out of the universe.

When I started, you had the Rhino, Predator and Land Raider. And two base dreadnoughts. Flamer/Fist and a ranged generic one. There was also the Space Wolf unique one, but that was called out as unique.

Then they added the Annihilator Predator and renamed the other one Destructor, and not "Oh, here is what the techpriests made, fresh off the assembly line.". It was "Oh, this has existed since Horus, or some such."

Then they added the Razorback. Then the Whirlwind. Then a variant on the Raider, I think. And each time, "Oh, these are venerable machines that have always existed".

It REALLY fucking grated on me. Always hated retconning for no real reason.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I thought the annihilator spent several centuries undergoing field testing after it was cobbled together by space wolf techpriests during a siege? Razorbacks were also a more recently discovered STC from what I remember from the intro article, and might have even spent 2000 years undergoing field tests before being approved for mass production.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    I mean, its not really retconning for no reason. The reason in that in-universe, the techpriests don't really invent anything new, and GW as a company, can't really be expected to already have all pre-existing models made from day one.

"after 10 millennia, the eggheads on mars just cracked the code on how to stick TWO lascannons on a tank!"
    is pretty much the same amount of dumb as:
    "we've had these twin-lascannon tanks kicking around for the past 10 millennia, just don't ask any questions as to why you haven't heard about them until just now"
    They both require some pretty massive suspension of disbelief that comes along with them being... you know... plastic model kits that a company has to create and sell.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Had my first game of 10th, against my nephews Death Guard.

Death Guard really suck this edition.

Highlight was my Aberrants charging into a squad of Plague Marines, taking them to 2 models, getting return charged by a squad of Cataphractii Terminators, and wiping those out as well and only losing one Aberrant.

That 4+ FNP did some work.

Won 21-12 since his stuff was so slow he couldn’t move up to objectives fast enough.

GSC is top tier (S-tier when played well) and DG is lower tier. Both need tweaks

To be more clear. GSC are the top win rate with over 70% and DG are the bottom with like 25%

There are some kinks to work out…

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Highlight was my Aberrants charging into a squad of Plague Marines, taking them to 2 models, getting return charged by a squad of Cataphractii Terminators, and wiping those out as well and only losing one Aberrant.

Won 21-12 since his stuff was so slow he couldn’t move up to objectives fast enough.

GSC is top tier (S-tier when played well) and DG is lower tier. Both need tweaks

To be more clear. GSC are the top win rate with over 70% and DG are the bottom with like 25%

To be fair we did one thing wrong. We did FNP on wounds, not damage.

However, his Cataphractii completely whiffed their charge (what managed to hit, didn't even wound) and then my Aberrants poured all their ridiculous heavy power weapon attacks on them and cut them down to like 2 models. So the FNP mistake didn't have a chance to make a difference.

And this was with neither of us remembering to use stratagems (hopefully having the cards on the table in front of me makes me remember), and me not losing any squads before turn 4 so I couldn't even use the cool Cult Ambush stuff.

Once change I want to make for next game is swapping my Acolyte squad with mining tools to my Acololyte squad with hand flamers and demo charges, but those aren't painted yet. The Acolytes with mining tools are really hard to get into combat now unless you're putting them in a truck, but Acolytes with demo charged and hand flamers can appear 3" away from something and blow it to pieces.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

I would expect Death Guard to be shitty.

I'll see myself out.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Huh. We did the same thing in my game of 10th. It wouldn't have mattered because I never FNP'd an attack that did more than 1 damage, but still. The rule only mentions "wounds". You have to read the example (at least in the app) for it to mention "damage".

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Okay so we're playing again this weekend. I'm gonna go with unpainted stuff to try a better list.
    Primus
    Kelermorph
    Reductus Saboteur
    20 Neophytes (2 grenade launchers, 2 mining lasers, icon)
    10 Neophytes (1 grenade launcher, 1 mining laser, icon)
    10 Acolytes (hand flamers, 4 demolition charges, icon)
    5 Aberrants
    Achilles Ridgerunner
    Goliath Rockgrinder

20 Neophyes are the forward objective grabber, with the Primus. Rerolling hits sounds super nice with mining lasters and grenade launchers, and redeploying units is fun shenanigans. 10 Neophytes are the backfield objective holders. Acolytes are there to show up with Tunner Crawlers and blow a hard target the fuck to pieces, hopefully getting some Sustained Hits as well from all those demo charge to hit rolls.

Aberrants roll up in the Rockgrinder and hit another hard target. This worked well last game. Ridgerunner zips around shooting stuff, Kelermorph and Reductus do their thing.

Now that I'm thinking about Stratagems, the Reductus might also be a good use of Tunnel Crawlers. Turn 1, hit a hard target with its explosives, enemy turn Return to Shadows, next turn Tunnel Crawlers, demo charge and grenade stratagem against another hard target.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I mean, its not really retconning for no reason. The reason in that in-universe, the techpriests don't really invent anything new, and GW as a company, can't really be expected to already have all pre-existing models made from day one.

"after 10 millennia, the eggheads on mars just cracked the code on how to stick TWO lascannons on a tank!"
    "we've had these twin-lascannon tanks kicking around for the past 10 millennia, just don't ask any questions as to why you haven't heard about them until just now"
    They both require some pretty massive suspension of disbelief that comes along with them being... you know... plastic model kits that a company has to create and sell.

They're both dumb, but spending a few thousand years researching whether or not adding a second gun is going to anger the machine spirit is the sort of dumb that's baked into the Mechanicum. Which is sort of my main gripe about all the Primaris stuff; everything is new and better; and new and better are basically the exact opposite of everything the Imperium and Mechanicum stand for. Harumph.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

They're both dumb, but spending a few thousand years researching whether or not adding a second gun is going to anger the machine spirit is the sort of dumb that's baked into the Mechanicum. Which is sort of my main gripe about all the Primaris stuff; everything is new and better; and new and better are basically the exact opposite of everything the Imperium and Mechanicum stand for. Harumph.

Technically it's old and better as most of the Primaris stuff was developed during the Heresy/ Scouring era

• Options

Huh. We did the same thing in my game of 10th. It wouldn't have mattered because I never FNP'd an attack that did more than 1 damage, but still. The rule only mentions "wounds". You have to read the example (at least in the app) for it to mention "damage".

Dumb question, what's FNP, and how does it change things?

Been out of the game for a long time.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Technically it's old and better as most of the Primaris stuff was developed during the Heresy/ Scouring era

That's why I call the primaris pickles as they have been stewed in storage for 10k

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    MorganV wrote: »

Dumb question, what's FNP, and how does it change things?

Been out of the game for a long time.

'Feel No Pain' - it's the last type of save/wound negation. Typically on a 5+ you can discount a wound from a hit that has got through all your cover/armour/invulnerable saves (and since damage came back - a hit that causes D3 wounds might cause two, which would be rolled for invidivually).

So a Railgun hit that did 11 damage to a daemonprince - a regular one would be rolling it's daemonic save (say 5+) to avoid taking 11 damage, whilst the one with 5+ FNP which then failed it's daemonic save would be discounting a third of those wounds.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    honovere wrote: »

That's what I meant earlier. Everything old is awesome and better. And can't be replicated or improved on. But suddenly there's better stuff fucking everywhere.

Either you've got a decaying universe (Eldar dying off, some marine chapters literally genetically stalled or regressing, tech stagnant and irreplaceable, chais literally using 10K old tech), or you don't, and you get new shinies every release.

It's just dissonant.

MorganV on
  • Options
    Well, I gotta say 10th has motivated my group to play 40k like no other edition.

They're talking regular games at the FLGS, people who I've never actually played 40k with are turning out with whole armies and want to play.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Primaris/Cawl/Guilleman's return should have started another civil war imo

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Primaris/Cawl/Guilleman's return should have started another civil war imo

It may in the future. I have a sneaking suspicion that GW's longterm plan is to dripfeed us Primarchs for the next ~10 years and then give us Heresy 2.0 (and Guilliman has already pulled the "Imperium Secundus" card in the past).

Outside of Horus, who was spiritually nuked, there is an in-universe way to return every single Primarch (even the dead ones) to the tabletop. Cawl has already bucked against Guilliman's restrictions a few times, so who knows what that may lead to as well.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    I mean, the Galaxy is already literally split in half.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Having two human Empires, similar to late Rome, not necessarily in a hot war, but in cold conflict with a bunch of border skirmishes but still united against alien and chaos would open up so much story wise.

Like, basically a constant Badab War added to the current setting.

honovere on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Well, I gotta say 10th has motivated my group to play 40k like no other edition.

They're talking regular games at the FLGS, people who I've never actually played 40k with are turning out with whole armies and want to play.

Yeah I was at my FLGS this weekend to assemble+paint with some other guys I know and there were actual games taking place. Things seem to be having a small boom at the moment.

My one sad is that I'm working on Sororitas and it appears that makes me like the 4th fucker out of 8 players to field them. Which isn't bad, per se, but I usually prefer playing unique armies/factions/metas in most games, and with the wealth of factions available I'm kinda gritting my teeth at having picked one that half our player group is playing. Oh well. Maybe in a year I'll be putting together Tau or something.

I'm also noticing that a lot of the paint jobs I'm seeing around me are siiiiiiick and I'm going to be showing up with dogshit because I'm tired of having gray un-cut sprues on my desk and painted dogshit would be better than the nothing I've had for like a year now.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Design wise I just wish Primaris had better helmets and that their tanks had tracks, because that's just better for the image of heavy tank crushing their enemies instead of something floaty and that the tanks weren't covered in two dozen grenade launchers and machine guns.

Basically the main tank of Primaris should be the Sicarian

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

Yeah I was at my FLGS this weekend to assemble+paint with some other guys I know and there were actual games taking place. Things seem to be having a small boom at the moment.

My one sad is that I'm working on Sororitas and it appears that makes me like the 4th fucker out of 8 players to field them. Which isn't bad, per se, but I usually prefer playing unique armies/factions/metas in most games, and with the wealth of factions available I'm kinda gritting my teeth at having picked one that half our player group is playing. Oh well. Maybe in a year I'll be putting together Tau or something.

I'm also noticing that a lot of the paint jobs I'm seeing around me are siiiiiiick and I'm going to be showing up with dogshit because I'm tired of having gray un-cut sprues on my desk and painted dogshit would be better than the nothing I've had for like a year now.

I would 100% put the mini-boom down to the rules being free at the moment so there's literally no barrier of re-entry for a lapsed player with models still hanging around. People will browse the rules out of curiosity because they can for no cost, then start thinking about how the models they own would do with the new ruleset, and one thing leads to another and they're off the wagon again.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

Painting models is a skill that, like any other, will get better with practice. I'd rather play against a dogshit painted army than a gray tide any day and I think the majority of other players feel the same. There are so many new tools, techniques, and tutorials available now that there has never been a better time to buckle down and give it a shot. Don't worry about comparing your models against your opponent's paintjobs, instead compare them against your own earlier paintjobs. Seek progress, not perfection.

The first models I ever painted were a three pack of Marines (the old version of the babby's first painting set) and they were an absolute fucking disaster. A couple years later I bought the newer version of the set and painted the three models inside and it was like night and day (the new ones were only half a disaster). Progress.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Between YouTube tutorials and the new and improved paint technology out there, I think it's a lot easier to get past, or even skip, that initial stage of painting skill where your miniature is just a garbage looking blotch of three or four colors.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    As has already been said, paint as well as you want and don’t worry about comparing your paint jobs to others.

I like to think the hobby is generally pretty accepting (we all have the odd story when it hasn’t been) but if someone gives you grief then chances are they aren’t worth playing with in the first place.

I play a guy who is fantastic at painting, while mine is more “looks fine from a distance please don’t look too closely” but 2 (mostly) painted armies is great to see.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Between YouTube tutorials and the new and improved paint technology out there, I think it's a lot easier to get past, or even skip, that initial stage of painting skill where your miniature is just a garbage looking blotch of three or four colors.

So, a few things:

1. My shaky ass hands fuck up paint jobs like you would not believe. They put tons of color where they don't belong. If I were to use a coloring book the lines would not matter.
    2. My desire to make things purty has been paralyzing at this point. I have painted one SoB and fucked it up with a varnish wash, I painted another and got frustrated with my inability to paint faces, and then I just kinda dropped off. That's the kind of shit I'm trying to avoid, here, is my desire to make things look good is going to fuck up my ability to get them done.

So when people tell me that painting is so much easier now or that it shouldn't be so hard or whatever I, and I know this isn't fair or rational, want to scream. Because if I let that little thought in for even just a moment, that I could do a better job at this, or I could make this better, I will literally never paint my minis.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea give me 2 color models any day of the week over gray tide.

I’ve played about 10 games of 10e between CP and regular small games and the core rules just feel so much better to use then 9e. Cover and simplified terrain work so much better. Some armies just need a few more passes.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    What series of R-unit is this? I'm not quite up to date on star wars lore.
    cf7icLx7vqD4aTTX.jpg

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    weird looking tachikoma