Options

WH40K 10th Edition: Roll your dice, then reroll them.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    On the plus side you can shoot into close combat and kill your GSC units there

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Whether or not it's good I'm still likely to go for a Brood Brothers approach if I get more IG and GSC stuff.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Hmmmm, what is better:
    4 meganobz + 'eadstompa for the mega-warboss
    or
    3 meganobz and a squad of Grots?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    You need to take a trukk or the tellyporter warboss in mega armor, or your lads are just never gonna make it to where they need to go

• Options
    edited June 4
    Oh they're riding a battlewagon alright. It's a question of how to spend those 40pts.

It's for a small 1k game.

1 warboss 65
    1 weirdboy 55
    20 choppa boyz 170

1 mega warboss 80
    4 meganobz 120
    1 battlewagon 160
    eadstompa 10

1 warboss 65
    10 nobz 210
    1 trukk 65

Mayday on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 5
    Burnage wrote: »
    GSC losing access entirely to Brood Brothers outside of that detachment doesn't seem great. I also wasn't enamoured with a conditional +1 to hit as the detachment bonus, but given how many datasheets Guard have to play with it wouldn't shock me if there was something interesting or obnoxious to fall out of that.

Where does it say they entirely lose access outside of this detachment?

It says that this detachment doubles the amount of points they can take from Astra Militarum.

Also, having not seen the other detachments, +1 to hit something that an Astra Militarum unit fired at is pretty huge for shooting focused armies. Most GSC units his on 4's, and their heavy weapons hit on 5's. Even with rerolls Heavy weapons coming in are really unreliable.

Having a Brood Brother squad shoot at something and then 2 huge Neophyte blobs appear, one with the new Benefictus and one with a Primus, should be a more reliable way to kill a really tough unit now.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yeah I agree with Loki there, that's actually legitimately amazing. I largely use AM squads for things like heavy weapons teams, so being able to unload on a unit and grant +1 to hit for my other GSC units with all my real weapons like seismic cannons and such is fantastic.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Oh they're riding a battlewagon alright. It's a question of how to spend those 40pts.

It's for a small 1k game.

1 warboss 65
    1 weirdboy 55
    20 choppa boyz 170

1 mega warboss 80
    4 meganobz 120
    1 battlewagon 160
    eadstompa 10

1 warboss 65
    10 nobz 210
    1 trukk 65

For competitive or at least somewhat competitive? The extra meganob (eadstompa is kinda whatever but it’s not bad)

For flavor? More green!

• Options
    That being said, Big Gob or tellyporta and cut out the truck or battle wagon for more ladz would be my recommendation. Those upgrades are so goddamn good

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited June 5
    -Loki- wrote: »

At the bottom of the article.

"...In a Brood Brother Auxilia force, fully half of your army can be taken from the Astra Militarum roster.*

* However, Brood Brother units can now only be taken in this specific Detachment.
    "

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

"...In a Brood Brother Auxilia force, fully half of your army can be taken from the Astra Militarum roster.*

* However, Brood Brother units can now only be taken in this specific Detachment.
    "

Weird, because the earlier paragraphs read like it's just a change to how many points they can take compared to any other detachment.

I'm not fussed though, having Brood Brothers have their own specific detachment while other detachments do their own things makes sense. That is however pending seeing the other detachments.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am more interested in playing them in Kill Team than 40k
    A lot of things killed my interest in 40k for now but how they are playing fomo with the kill team boxes [or I have no idea since it seems in the UK they are able to get them in local game stores while the US branch of GW struggles} Is another whole issue with me

• Options
    I noticed Kasrkin are back in stock. I might try to get a box this pay since they can be taken as Brood Brothers.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Had my first games of 40 since 2e in the 90s! Of course my poor troops got completly smashed, but it was fun. Do have to say though, games take a long time. It was just 1k games of 10th ed and they took far too many hours. Hope it gets faster once I know the rules better.

causality.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Gokerz wrote: »
    Had my first games of 40 since 2e in the 90s! Of course my poor troops got completly smashed, but it was fun. Do have to say though, games take a long time. It was just 1k games of 10th ed and they took far too many hours. Hope it gets faster once I know the rules better.

Once you know the rules and you and your opponent have an idea of what you are doing you can get games down to 2.5-3 hours at 2k points.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Gokerz wrote: »

Yeah I played a friend and we’d not played many games which resulted in it taking a while but a lot of that was looking up rules that we won’t have to check for next time.

Also we spent a while just telling each what our own units did, and stats etc…to avoid gotcha / feel bad moments.

I think becoming more familiar with your units and what they can do helps speed things up.

(I did watch my friend think around in circles wrt how to kill a ranger; something I’m guilty of when playing MTG)

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Yeah most of my 1k games with a similarly experienced player tend to take around 90 minutes to two hours. Teaching games tend to go 2-2.5.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular

"

This could also just be keyword shenanigans in that <brood brother> units get specific benefits from different rules or Strats but other detachments can still take a limited number of <astra militarism> units.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    This could also just be keyword shenanigans in that <brood brother> units get specific benefits from different rules or Strats but other detachments can still take a limited number of <astra militarism> units.

Maybe, but I don't think so. All the Brood Brother Auxilia rules shown there interact with the <Astra Militarum> keyword.

• Options
    Sisters Preview is up

And it is pretty good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited June 6
    Burnage wrote: »
    GSC losing access entirely to Brood Brothers outside of that detachment doesn't seem great. I also wasn't enamoured with a conditional +1 to hit as the detachment bonus, but given how many datasheets Guard have to play with it wouldn't shock me if there was something interesting or obnoxious to fall out of that.

Shoot your mortars/basilisk at whatever unit you want dead, the rest of the army gets +1 hit is *quite good*

Edit: "within 18" and visible to the Astra Militarum unit" makes it a lot less good but still pretty decent

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Sisters Preview is up

And it is pretty good.

I would love geedubs to bump points up game wide by like 15% so that starting a sisters army wasn’t such a large investment in both cash and number of minis required for 2k points

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Can't you just start playing at 1k then?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

A lot of my local groups have started playing at much smaller sizes specifically because of this. 500 even works surprisingly well as long as people resist the urge to do things like bring two Great Unclean Ones in a list.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Khraul wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Sisters Preview is up

And it is pretty good.

I would love geedubs to bump points up game wide by like 15% so that starting a sisters army wasn’t such a large investment in both cash and number of minis required for 2k points

"Sell... less... models? I do not understand these words in this order"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

For sure I could, it was more a comment on points overall. My ork speedwaagh that I built when they released isn’t even 2k points currently with every hull I have built when I used to have to pick what to include. I had to grab a few more kits to pad it out to a full 2k.

I’d like to start a sisters army but I don’t want to have to field that many models. I threw together a list (no weapon options, just kits in the spoiler) that seems like it’d be fun, and it’s stuff I’d like to paint, and it’s >80 models. Unless the new jump canoness is twice the cost of the current one the new box set isn’t even 500 points.

I miss when they did a points squish in -I think- it was late 8th edition and 2k points was closer to 1600-1700 worth of models and you actually had to make choices about what to field vs bringing all the toys and having points left over.

I’ve been playing AOS at a local geedubs and it’s refreshing playing a list at 2k with like 34-35 models (seraphon).
    Adepta Sororitas 2k (2000 Points)

Adepta Sororitas
    Hallowed Martyrs
    Strike Force (2000 Points)

CHARACTERS

Canoness (75 Points)
    • Warlord
    • 1x Bolt Pistol
    1x Chainsword
    • Enhancements: Litanies of Faith

Imagifier (35 Points)
    • 1x Bolt pistol
    1x Boltgun
    1x Close combat weapon

Palatine (50 Points)
    • 1x Bolt Pistol
    1x Palatine blade

Palatine (50 Points)
    • 1x Bolt Pistol
    1x Palatine blade

BATTLELINE

Battle Sisters Squad (100 Points)
    • 1x Sister Superior
    • 1x Bolt pistol
    1x Boltgun
    1x Close combat weapon
    • 9x Battle Sister
    • 9x Bolt pistol
    9x Boltgun
    9x Close combat weapon

Battle Sisters Squad (100 Points)
    • 1x Sister Superior
    • 1x Bolt pistol
    1x Boltgun
    1x Close combat weapon
    • 9x Battle Sister
    • 9x Bolt pistol
    9x Boltgun
    9x Close combat weapon

DEDICATED TRANSPORTS

Immolator (115 Points)
    • 1x Armoured tracks
    1x Heavy bolter
    1x Immolation flamers

Sororitas Rhino (75 Points)
    • 1x Armoured tracks
    1x Storm bolter

OTHER DATASHEETS

Arco-flagellants (160 Points)
    • 10x Arco-flagellant
    • 10x Arco-flails

Celestian Sacresants (60 Points)
    • 1x Sacresant Superior
    • 1x Bolt pistol
    1x Hallowed mace
    • 4x Celestian Sacresant
    • 4x Bolt pistol
    4x Hallowed mace

Exorcist (180 Points)
    • 1x Armoured tracks
    1x Exorcist missile launcher
    1x Heavy bolter

Mortifiers (110 Points)
    • 2x Mortifier
    • 4x Heavy bolter
    2x Twin penitent buzz-blades

Mortifiers (110 Points)
    • 2x Mortifier
    • 4x Heavy bolter

Penitent Engines (110 Points)
    • 2x Penitent Engine
    • 2x Penitent flamers

Penitent Engines (110 Points)
    • 2x Penitent Engine
    • 2x Penitent flamers

Repentia Squad (110 Points)
    • 1x Repentia Superior
    • 1x Bolt pistol
    1x Neural whips
    • 9x Sister Repentia
    • 9x Penitent eviscerator

Retributor Squad (105 Points)
    • 1x Retributor Superior
    • 1x Bolt pistol
    1x Boltgun
    1x Close combat weapon
    • 4x Retributor
    • 4x Bolt pistol
    4x Close combat weapon
    4x Heavy bolter

Retributor Squad (105 Points)
    • 1x Retributor Superior
    • 1x Bolt pistol
    1x Boltgun
    1x Close combat weapon
    • 4x Retributor
    • 4x Bolt pistol
    4x Close combat weapon
    4x Heavy bolter

Zephyrim Squad (120 Points)
    • 1x Zephyrim Superior
    • 1x Bolt pistol
    1x Power weapon
    • 9x Zephyrim
    • 9x Bolt pistol
    9x Power weapon

Zephyrim Squad (120 Points)
    • 1x Zephyrim Superior
    • 1x Bolt pistol
    1x Power weapon
    • 9x Zephyrim
    • 9x Bolt pistol
    9x Power weapon

Exported with App Version: v1.16.0 (39), Data Version: v400

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I get what you are saying especially as I started sister this year.

But they are also a horde army now. My list is 96 models and isn't really abnormal. But it's like 30 battle sisters, 10 repentia, 10 noviates and so on. It's a lot of cheap efficient units that die.

My CSM list on the other hand is about 63 models. Most of that is cultist though. And even in 8th with my daemon engine list I had about 40 models because of cultist.

Though I think my smallest list was back last year in 10th. 35 models or so thanks to running Abby, termis and oblits and some vehicles and daemons. Again 10 models were cultist

Some armies are more bodies than others right now. But AoS has that too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Sisters not being as elite as astartes is one thing, but power armoured armies should never be hordes, imo

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Sisters not being as elite as astartes is one thing, but power armoured armies should never be hordes, imo

40k definitely has a 'too many models on the table' problem. I'm reminded of Fantasy Battles at the end where you needed silly numbers of models to play. It's off-putting to new players, and for 40k I'm finding the tables are now very crowded in a way that doesn't make for fun games.

If GW were to increase the points of everything somewhere between 25% to 50% I'd be very happy. (But at this point I'd take anything)

GW just keep dropping those points though.

But yeah, Sisters should not be a 'horde' army. Not even close.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm being a grog, but I really miss the scale of 3rd Ed when it really was a 'platoon' scale game.

That said, I'm currently drinking deep of Heresy where you can get quite sizable armies, so maybe I'm just a hypocrit.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Please treat my "agree" as friedly ;o) . I'm quite inexperienced, but having happily played quite a few 1k games myself, I don't see the problem.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    In 2nd, a tactical squad could run you around 400pts with upgrades. A 2000pt Space Wolves army was like 30 minis. Granted that contained Ragnar, Ulrik, and Njal but still.

It also would take all day to play a 2000pt game so that was pretty uncommon and mostly something you saw in battle reports in WD.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 8
    Tbf though, 2nd ed also required you to track individual sight arcs for every model (and multiple for each vehicle), and had some entire units whose saves were rolled on 2d6 each.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited June 8
    I remember my standard 3E 1500pt army was, IIRC, a Chaplain, 2 (3?) tac squads, a 5 man assault squad, a Predator and a Land Raider. I might have had one more thing in there.

That comes to just shy of 950pts now. What I could have done with another third of my points still available.

Well, not much. I was a broke student then and one of those tac squads was a Christmas present, the tanks were hand me downs from my brother, and the Chaplain was a lucky draw when my local GW was doing a lucky dip giveaway of old blister packs and I fished out a Death Company chaplain.

You could play 40k as a broke student back then.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »

Same happened to AdMech, it seems the game isn't really set up that well for things in the middle of the marines vs guard statline - or perhaps if there is an issue, there's either the competing forces of making them better or making them cheaper until you either hit the glass cannon or horde archetype. Vehicles and monsters have a lot more space to play with on the S/T chart but most anti-infantry guns or anti-elite guns don't discriminate.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Tbf though, 2nd ed also required you to track individual sight arcs for every model (and multiple for each vehicle), and had some entire units whose saves were rolled on 2d6 each.

Well, yeah. That's why it took all day. I wasn't saying the game was better, although I liked the crunch, just that the point values were higher so games could be smaller.

But you don't sell as many models that way...

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited June 8

Last two games I’ve played have been 1.5k and were fun. There wasn’t much left at the end either.

brfacvfc6e2s.jpeg

What is not pictured is the blob of Meganobz that I didn’t really do any damage to.

One of my scouts also got kidnapped by a golden retriever puppy and taken into the garden. It also attempted to run away with a bike but was successful in getting my shoe.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    Yeah I'm being a grog, but I really miss the scale of 3rd Ed when it really was a 'platoon' scale game.

That said, I'm currently drinking deep of Heresy where you can get quite sizable armies, so maybe I'm just a hypocrit.

Even in 3E running an actual straight-up battle company of SM was not only possible but reasonably potent at 2000pts; you weren't as killy or mobile as a list that focused on being more points-efficient with its units, but you were absolutely never getting shot off the board and could effectively prevent your opponents from advancing past midfield through the simple expedient of throwing bodies at them.

I'd have to download and update Battlescribe to check but I'm pretty sure you literally can't put a hundred marines on the board anymore

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Black Templars can, but I think they are the only detachment to be able to do it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited June 9
    I don't think my current deff dread mob is to out rageous and it doesn't even include some stuff I have painted but most of it isn't painted (it's outrageous now with all orks sold out and price increase but)

I also have 2 squighog boys and a beast boss on a squig and those are quality points eaters if I want em
    I have a metal Old One Eye model and can't decide if I should put it on a 60mm base or 105mm x 70mm oval base

Anyone have a answer for this I'd say do what evers 10th legal cause they are small little guys

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png