Options

I'm a Barbiehead, in the [Barbie Thread]

StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice,To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
Free spoilers for the movie, let's talk about the Barbie movie

Or other Barbie properties, maybe we got some real Life in the Dreamhouse freaks here, I don't know

Hell, let's talk about the Bratz and Monster High movies as well

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    CAN YOU FEEL THE KENNERGY?

• Options
    my thread died after living a life of blonde fragility

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Anyways I saw this movie last night and I thought it was pretty good.

It was very funny, absolutely hit the mark there, and with a full theater that was a raucous good time.

Beyond that I wasn't really blown away by it. I think in some ways it's the best case scenario for a movie that is both destined to be girl power and terribly encumbered by the often regressive gender politics of the brand it's based on. But I didn't find it life-changing or anything.

To be clear, I think this is overall good - sometimes it's fun to see a movie and laugh at it a bunch. That's kind of all I wanted, I think a Barbie movie that tried to be any more serious would have fallen flatter for me.

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    I can't stop thinking about this film

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    It's been living in my head rent-free since I saw it Saturday. I had I'm Just Ken on repeat all day yesterday.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Is this the real thread?

That other thread is clearly Kenland.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Probably had the most fun in theaters in a long time with this movie. Definitely the best audience experience. Loved the movie too.

Though with one heavy asterisks of I don't think any of the Will Ferrell Mattel scenes worked at all. Think it would have been drastically better to stunt cast a dramatic actor getting to be goofy or something. Also would help beat Lego Movie allegations, which this movie thankfully was much better and far more interesting than.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah the Mattel exec stuff was weird and felt completely out of place.

I think my biggest laugh was when they mentioned women sitting and watching Pride and Prejudice because I know approximately 900 women who would do that

• Options
    I think both movies had valid messages aimed in different directions, however I do think the entire Mattel exec bit was (almost) entirely unnecessary in an otherwise fairly tightly plotted movie and she just needed to run across Ruth while journeying between the worlds. Will Ferrell is fun but you could've swapped him out with a lot of other guys and gotten something slightly more interesting out of it.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Honestly though, a lot of my hesitations towards the movie evaporated when I realized how little of it was gunna be set in the real world.

I had a real feeling the trailers were gunna be entirely made up from the first fifteen minutes of the movie before it entered our world for the rest of the runtime. But nope!

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I can definitely imagine a version of the same movie made in the 90s that's set almost entirely in the real world

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I can definitely imagine a version of the same movie made in the 90s that's set almost entirely in the real world

Life-sizedvd.jpg

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I've had that goddamn Matchbox 20 song stuck in my head for days now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJLgKXp375I

The way Gosling manages to find a way to make so many of the individual words funny is so good. The sheer CRAFT of it. The way he says "granted" is obviously the highlight, but he finds a weird little handle on so many notes. While also only being, like, maybe 5% stupider than the original

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The Matchbox 20 song hit and I was like, "oh, Greta Gerwig is basically the same age as me, I forgot"

• Options
    I appreciated the Mattel stuff was a red herring for the Kenland stuff to come.

The movie keeps growing in my head. i really can't wait to see it again!!

• Options
    I’m fine with Will Ferrell’s part but you could take all of the execs out of the movie and the story would remain basically the same.

They just feel kind of superfluous and, as funny as I usually find him, Will Ferrell didn’t really make me laugh.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    he did get the "her ghost has an office on the 17th floor." line

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    Probably had the most fun in theaters in a long time with this movie. Definitely the best audience experience. Loved the movie too.

Though with one heavy asterisks of I don't think any of the Will Ferrell Mattel scenes worked at all. Think it would have been drastically better to stunt cast a dramatic actor getting to be goofy or something. Also would help beat Lego Movie allegations, which this movie thankfully was much better and far more interesting than.

A lot of the Mattel scenes felt to me like "Let's get ahead of some criticisms." I didn't really need it, and I think there's a having-cake-and-eating-it-too element to joking about how unqualified all these dudes are for jobs they will continue to hold for years, but the scenes didn't like tank the movie for me. And I did enjoy the surreal slapstick gags that permeated that stuff; an energy that was almost... Brechtian? I think people are gonna be tempted to draw comparisons to Anderson or Gondry, but it felt even more aggressively and intentionally detached from "reality." It's a fun little touch, that even "reality" has its own weird cartoon logic, I liked that.

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »

A lot of the Mattel scenes felt to me like "Let's get ahead of some criticisms." I didn't really need it, and I think there's a having-cake-and-eating-it-too element to joking about how unqualified all these dudes are for jobs they will continue to hold for years, but the scenes didn't like tank the movie for me. And I did enjoy the surreal slapstick gags that permeated that stuff; an energy that was almost... Brechtian? I think people are gonna be tempted to draw comparisons to Anderson or Gondry, but it felt even more aggressively and intentionally detached from "reality." It's a fun little touch, that even "reality" has its own weird cartoon logic, I liked that.

God the fucking line where Ken is talking to all the MBA's and he's like "I THOUGHT MEN RULLED THE WORLD" and the guy goes "Oh we do, we're just better at hiding it now."

• Options
    The whole thing with him thinking horses are part of the patriarchy was absolutely perfect.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    There's a lot of criticism I had for this movie but so many people seem hung up on the wrong thing

listened to a critic say the Ken musical number should be cut out

5z9qAkW.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    There's a lot of criticism I had for this movie but so many people seem hung up on the wrong thing

5z9qAkW.jpg

What an idiot

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

5z9qAkW.jpg

The musical number drove a lot of Kengagement, in my opinion.

• Options
    I went in cold on Ken's number and it was fantastic. How could you have sat through that whole movie and not realized why that number was there and had to happen

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    I don't know any matchbox 20 songs so I fully believed I fully believed it was a number written for the film

• Options
    I don't know any matchbox 20 songs so I fully believed I fully believed it was a number written for the film

It's one of those songs you heard all the godsdamned time in the mid-late 90s if you listened to top20 radio like we did when my mom was driving before she got God again in the 00s.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Just saw the movie.

The set design was neat, but the story felt pretty ham-fisted and boring.

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    Just saw the movie.

2pbcv44bat1l.jpg

• Options
    The story is easily the weakest part, I don't disagree with that. With a weaker script or performances or set design that would become a lot more self-evident.

• Options
    I don't know if i could have written a "Barbie and Ken go to the real world and Ken becomes Red Pilled and turns Barbieland into a fascist ken-tatorship"

• Options
    The movie I keep comparing this to is Blazing Saddles

With a joke-per-page ratio like this, there's isn't really room for more plot.

But I was probably never gonna mind, I've never really looked to comedies for my plot fix. Sorta like going to a Brazilian steakhouse for a salad.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Just saw the movie.

2pbcv44bat1l.jpg

Oh sorry. I thought a variety of opinions were allowed.

My bad.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Just saw the movie.

2pbcv44bat1l.jpg

Oh sorry. I thought a variety of opinions were allowed.

My bad.

Thank you for your apology, it was kennough.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Knock it off

• Options
    The movie I keep comparing this to is Blazing Saddles

With a joke-per-page ratio like this, there's isn't really room for more plot.

But I was probably never gonna mind, I've never really looked to comedies for my plot fix. Sorta like going to a Brazilian steakhouse for a salad.

Pooro, Fox News said you couldn't make Blazing Saddles today. IS FOX NEWS LYING TO ME?

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    The joke about the Kens not realising that walls have to be built sideways, not up, got a huge laugh from me

• Options
    Yeah, when you pack the jokes in as tight as Barbie the plot just kind of becomes a foggy background to me.

It’s why I love shows like Angie Tribeca.

• Options
    I love the sentimental montage at the end straight into
    I'm here to see my gynocologist!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I feel like there's a refreshing trend in movies & shows lately to have high-concept premises and not waste time with explaining logistics or deconstructing shit that isn't contributing to the story.

• Options
    Very smart to have someone go "how does this work" and then get the answer "it doesn't matter who cares" back