Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] 4th Edition is here - New Rules for Everyone!

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They're more of a damage check than a true gatekeeper (though there's some overlap in those concepts, naturally) if you can't deal the 35-40 wounds necessary to kill a gargant every turn then they'll be able to win just be standing around on objectives and outscoring everything.
    That's why they tend to have a reputation as being on the boring side to play, despite being an army entirely of monsters, the winning move is often to play to avoid combat and toe around on objectives as much as possible.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Looks like we don't have to worry about there only ever being one spearhead per army as Stormcast just start with two different ones right out of the gate.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They'd already said that would be the case. I believe they also said skaven would have two at launch, though I guess it's mostly just a bit of grandfathering in so players who aren't grabbing the big box can still play Spearhead with the old vanguard box models.

But it doesn't seem crazy to assume that new battletomes might come with alternative Spearhead boxes of the obligatory new hero model and a random assortment of units.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    The paint scheme they have going at the bottom of that Warcom article for the Yndrasta Spearhead looks kinda wild. I dig it.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    SeOUkKyzl1525WsV.jpg
    Are you supposed to bring a compass or triangle template to properly do this?
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/22/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-faction-focus-skaven/

• Options
    edited May 22
    It's exactly the same placement rules it already has, so presumably you just keep doing it the same way as usual (I think 7" might actually be the measurement where you can just put the lighting bolts touching each other, but I'm not 100% on that.) At least now it doesn't inexplicably trigger twice per turn and you can't just permanently trap a non-flying monster inside of it!

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    WarCom article on how the Skaventide has effected The Great Parch, including a map.

OFr8xYeKGU4Hw27V.jpg

(Notably, the legend includes a key for "Hashut Forge-city".)

Also, 'Gitz preview.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Give me Chaos Dwarfs already!

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I hope and pray we never see Chaos Dwarfs in AoS. If we lost BoC for a third Dwarf army that only existed in limited Forge World capacity in WHFB I will be very miffed. Chaos Dwarfs existing don't even make sense in the setting of AoS as it is.

Throw those dudes into Old World where they belong.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 24
    Chorfs exist in AoS already

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    They have oil rigs. Except instead of oil, it's liquid death magic.

I'd want them AoS-ified into a new faction rather than just recycling older minis, but yeah, I've been wanting to see that concept explored for ages.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Current rumour-mongers suggest that chaos dwarves are going to be the big new faction for 4th edition, so unfortunately the ship has probably already sailed on that front. Hopefully they've gone for a radically different sort of design space for them, I can't stand any of the chaos dwarf models that have existed previously. (Not to mention, a faction of armoured, stand-around artillery idiots sounds like a right chore to play, land train or no land train.)

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I doubt Chorfs being in AoS has much baring on BoC being put into TOW jail.
    As others have said they've been in AoS for a while already (I believe the Iron Golem warcry band had the first official mini?).
    Also it seems like the separation exists mostly for Factions more than concepts or individual minis; there is also a classic Beastman lurking in the Spire Tyrants warcry band.

A defensive, mechanical AoS army would be cool. Constructs and weirdness more than gunline stuff I hope.

Also, the Horns of Hashut band was retired but I have a suspicion that they'll come back as a unit in the Chaos Dwarf book cos the sculpts are relatively new (and also having humans in a Chorf army would make people mad so it'll probably happen lol)

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The whole Chorf thing in WFB was short ranged but extremely devastating firepower so they needed to get closer to be most effective. Of course being dwarfs they weren’t really that worried if you braved the guns and charged either, but it did significantly hinder their killyness. Then the bull centaurs hit you in the flanks…

I can see that translating to AoS fairly well except for the extra shots/damage based on ranks thing. Maybe just sheer numbers.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    My opinion of Chaos Dwarfs is unfortunately based on playing someone who had the army in WFB and each game was thoroughly unpleasant.

You'd have to prepare to have an argument about nearly everything if they didn't like it, rules seemed to be made up, etc...

I know people have a fondness for the old sculpts, but I didn't see anything special about the Bull Centaurs or the silly hats they all had.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess I can maybe see design space for an industrialised chaos faction, but also it kinda feels like skaven hit that point to a degree already. To catch my interest they'd have to be a total departure from what 'chaos dwarves' have been previously.

• Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I doubt Chorfs being in AoS has much baring on BoC being put into TOW jail.
    As others have said they've been in AoS for a while already (I believe the Iron Golem warcry band had the first official mini?)...

Iron Golems and Spire Tyrants have Chaos Dwarfs, but they're not Chaos Dwarfs.

I obviously don't want exactly the same models, but I do hope that a Legions of Hashut AoS faction keeps to the same aesthetic wheelhouse as their WHFB selves. Assyrian-esque, Fire & Darkness, Bull Centaurs, Lamassu, Tauruses, Daemon Forges. So far, the Hobgrots and Horns of Hashut seem to be bearing that out reasonable well.

(And while the Horns of Hashut have been retired from StD, they're still available to buy for Warcry itself.)

(Trivia: Rick Priestly came up with the name "Hashut" as a joke; it's supposed to be onomatopoeia for a sneeze. "Hashut! Bless you!")

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    If they release them in AoS I highly doubt they'll revive the old sculpts, if Hashut blesses us we'll get all new Chorf minis, and l just want them to follow along the lines of the warhammer total war version.

I fucking love Chaos Dwarfs, they're like my favorite faction. While I do hope we get a ton of cool actual Chorf minis I do want to see some cool slave soldier stuff, including the Horns of Hashut and Hobgrots of course.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'd want to see classic Dawi Zarr for Old World, and some new take on 'dark duardin' for AoS.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Wonder if Vashtorr will pop across as well.

• Options
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am.in fact surprised by that.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    How do you pronounce officar?

Offisar? Offikar? Offiser?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    I'd assume "Offisar".

//

With the Dark Elves not being a core army in The Old World, I assume all of their stuff is staying around in Cities of Sigmar for at least this edition, but I'm thinking (and hoping) that AoS 4.0 Cities of Sigmar get a city-Dwarf focussed wave of three or so kits, alongside a Cog Fort. (Though I guess Flagellants and the Order of Azyr are a little more likely.)

One of my favourite things about Cities of Sigmar is their pan-racial cosmopolitan nature, and I wish the initial wave had been a little less human-focussed.

• Options
    I want to see elves and dwarves city dwellers. Like, right now they're these vestiges of the old world. And the other AoS elf and dwarf army are like the narrow concept single characteristic armies. Give me bread and butter fantasy elves and dwarves, AoS style

• Options
    Is it just me or does the bonus effect of the “human” order not care about any keywords on the second target? So you can order a human unit and an [human | dwarf | elf] unit.

• Options
    That's correct per the wording given, yeah. Another little boon for mixing your units up some.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the bonus effect of the “human” order not care about any keywords on the second target? So you can order a human unit and an [human | dwarf | elf] unit.

Kinda like the human guys are like, yo dwarves! Come on we got to GO.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Kinda like the human guys are like, yo dwarves! Come on we got to GO.

Or maybe the dwarves are all “we’ll not be shown up by some manlings, lads!”

• Options
    Speaking of dwarves, Kharadron got their little reveal. They lost the way transporting worked. So long is the glory of doing drive-bys with fully loaded ships. Now Frigates and Ironclads just pick up units and drop them off on either side of a move action. Not as fun. Also Thunderers got their profile much simplified.

• Options
    On the flip side, every way they've tried to do actually transporting guys in the boats it has been a bit of a mess in some form or other, so I can understand jettisoned the whole thing, I for one will not miss getting attacked by 20 non-euclidian duardin standing in the exact same spot on the ship's base!

• Options
    From the Tzeentch article:
    There is no summoning units from nothing in the new edition of Warhammer Age of Sigmar, in order to reduce the need for extra miniatures beyond your initial army list.

Thank god. Best change ever. I hated carrying around so many extra Bloodletters and Flesh Hounds just in case.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    All of the changes I've seen or heard of have made me very happy. I'm kinda waiting for some awful "But" to drop, yet it hasn't and I've been very pleasantly surprised.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Heh. The Ratling Avenger is absolutely absurd, just as hoped. Average of 13 shots (of course) hitting on 4+ and auto-wounding on a 6.
    Or you can nearly guarantee to blow it up in exchange for doubling the number of shots.

• Options
    I kinda wish the range was a little shorter, but that's perhaps just my general anti-shooting bias showing, but it is a pretty fun looking little artillery piece.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Played some warcry today for the first time in like a year. I forgot how much fun it is, and how fast. We were able to get a couple games done in less than three hours, and we were stumbling through the rules a bit. Definitely going to play some more.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I just played my first Narrative game of Warcry and had a great time with it. Doing the accounting in the Aftermath phase really opened my eyes to how interesting it can get, and how silly some of your fighters can get, if they don't die first.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Warcry slaps
    Fast and fun and lots of fun combos with allies and stuff too

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    I'm not personally a fan of all the extra allies and heroes and stuff in Warcry, I find it plays best with pitting the specific warcy squads against each other. But it is a tonne of fun either way, for sure.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    And, as in Necromunda and Blood Bowl, you have to name your players (in my opinion).
    That way you are creating stories!

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius