Options

[Baldur's Gate 3] Kiss a bear and grapple with the horrifying slug living in your brain

19495969798100»

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I hate all of the penalty to an attack roll in exchange for extra damage stuff

You're asking me to make the game more boring for myself, no thank you

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Straightzi wrote: »
    An Act 3 sin that I've not seen much commented upon is how underwhelming the reward on the Dribble the Clown quest is

It's such a long, sprawling pain in the ass, and then you get some weaksauce caster gloves at the end. Boo!

I mean honestly just what a bad quest

Find a bunch of hidden items with no indications as to where they are as you explore the city

Give me like an astral bloodhound that starts barking when I get near a body part or something, it's a quest simply designed for you to follow a guide to complete

yeah there's enough on the main path to get like 4/7ths of them

and then you find the remainders on corpses inside of random houses that you're really only going to run into if someone tells you where to look

Brolo on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus

The spellmight gloves also apply their bonus to things that don't require an attack roll. And it's applied individually to multiple attacks.

Put on them gloves and upcast a magic missile

• Options
    If you want the gloves extremely early in Act 3 or don't want to do a long, kinda shitty scavenger hunt:
    you can just pickpocket them off the necromancer at the circus

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh I cast so little direct damage stuff that I've never even given them a second glance

Magic is for making it easier to get sneak attacks, nothing more

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

Great Weapon Master's an awesome feat for Karlach as a Barbarian, though; three possible attacks in a round with the additional damage, plus with Reckless the Advantage pretty much cancels out the -5. Same for Vengeance Paladin with Vow of Enmity.

I gave Sharpshooter to Astarion for the same reason; Stealth, creep into position, then Sneak Attack with Advantage for the big deeps.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

counterpoint, large damage numbers make my lizard brain happy and it's pretty easy to get your accuracy to a point where the -5 doesn't matter much.

• Options

Great Weapon Master's an awesome feat for Karlach as a Barbarian, though; three possible attacks in a round with the additional damage, plus with Reckless the Advantage pretty much cancels out the -5. Same for Vengeance Paladin with Vow of Enmity.

I gave Sharpshooter to Astarion for the same reason; Stealth, creep into position, then Sneak Attack with Advantage for the big deeps.

That all makes sense (except for three attacks a round on Karlach, where's that third attack coming from if you're not a fighter?), it's just not how I like to play overall and harkens back to some of my core dislike of Dungeons and Dragons - having nothing happen when you take an action is the most boring possible thing, and I'm determined to avoid it as much as possible. Probably foolish when I'm frequently attacking from advantage anyways, but especially given that you have to spend a feat on it, I'm not very interested.

And my lizard brain doesn't care for large damage numbers, so that's the other side of it. I'd prefer a hit that provides a status effect or something like that, just doing damage is so boring.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

That all makes sense (except for three attacks a round on Karlach, where's that third attack coming from if you're not a fighter?), it's just not how I like to play overall and harkens back to some of my core dislike of Dungeons and Dragons - having nothing happen when you take an action is the most boring possible thing, and I'm determined to avoid it as much as possible. Probably foolish when I'm frequently attacking from advantage anyways, but especially given that you have to spend a feat on it, I'm not very interested.

And my lizard brain doesn't care for large damage numbers, so that's the other side of it. I'd prefer a hit that provides a status effect or something like that, just doing damage is so boring.

Valid. I usually prefer Sword & Board Pally for that same reason, but I've been having a lot of fun with GWM on Karlach and my Tav Pally... and also cussing out a lot of near-misses, despite my best efforts to minimize them mechanically.

And GWM gives you a third attack as a Bonus Action when you merk an enemy during your turn.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    There's also the Furious Attack or something like that barbarians get (maybe only the berserker subclass?) that gives you a bonus action attack, but if you ever use it on consecutive turns it gives you -1AB until combat ends.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

GWM lets you make a bonus action attack if you kill or get a crit, which, with Karlach raging out and having advantage on all attacks, are both pretty likely.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Question about the Grymforge.
    Without telling me any explicit spoilers, what do I miss by going through the lift in the grymforge? I've completed the entire forge, but I've got a lot of stuff still uncompleted in act 1. Wylls quest, the Creche, the other path to Moonrise, some quests in the Underdark. Is this the trigger for act 2? If so I'll go back and do all that stuff first. I don't mind if I can go back later, I'd like to do it now.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Question about the Grymforge.
    Without telling me any explicit spoilers, what do I miss by going through the lift in the grymforge? I've completed the entire forge, but I've got a lot of stuff still uncompleted in act 1. Wylls quest, the Creche, the other path to Moonrise, some quests in the Underdark. Is this the trigger for act 2? If so I'll go back and do all that stuff first. I don't mind if I can go back later, I'd like to do it now.

That is the act 2 trigger

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Thanks! I'll do my unfinished stuff then.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That is the "Act 2 trigger" but it doesn't cut you off from doing most things. I don't know an exhaustive list of things it cuts you off from, but I have a feeling it's only like half a dozen things.

• Options
    FWIW, I would recommend finishing Grymforge and then going back up to take the Mountain Pass.

Despite Halsin's doomsaying, the surface route is very doable, and it does lead you towards one of the best weapons in the game... and potentially some really good dialogue from Astarion, under certain conditions.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Knob wrote: »

The spellmight gloves also apply their bonus to things that don't require an attack roll. And it's applied individually to multiple attacks.

Put on them gloves and upcast a magic missile

Ah. That explains that. I was kind of thinking "+1d8 damage on, like, fire bolt, scorching ray tops? That seems like it fucking *sucks*, why would that be good", but it applying to magic missile does change things a fair bit.

Still, very much a "pickpocket and go about your day" kinda thing, doesn't seem worth a giant ass annoying quest.

In other order of things, I keep wondering if I want to try multiclassing a bit with my Moon Druid - but turning into stuff is so much fun and when wildshaped you seem to lose basically alll class features, anyway. I'd honestly trade half my spell list for another couple uses of wild shape per short rest. Wonder if Monk might help with wildshape AC a bit...

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Karlach is the coolest character I can't fit in my line up. This 4 party limit is really chafing.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Karlach is the coolest character I can't fit in my line up. This 4 party limit is really chafing.

My Shadowheart run is making something obvious for me: I only need to bench two origin characters if I play as an origin character.

Sorry Gale and Astarion, the party is full.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    no idea how to get this scene to trigger, apparently it's very specific:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2scKB-FEQL8

Karlach realizes she's in a video game

Truly bizarre scene with best tiefling girl where she seemingly sees through the fourth wall.
    Apparently not cut content, just obscure.

• Options
    I think I'm gonna regret my life choices and ditch Gale for Karlach so I'll have Fighter, Barb, Gloomstalker Ranger/Rogue/Fight Multiclass Himbo and Shadowheart. What's that you say? Not enough spells?
    But au contraire, double the greataxes!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna regret my life choices and ditch Gale for Karlach so I'll have Fighter, Barb, Gloomstalker Ranger/Rogue/Fight Multiclass Himbo and Shadowheart. What's that you say? Not enough spells?
    But au contraire, double the greataxes!

Just make Karlach a wizard, problem solved

JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.