Options

[Baldur's Gate 3] Kiss a bear and grapple with the horrifying slug living in your brain

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I find it really hard to take good screenshots of my dudes because the camera is so limited so I have to do it during cutscenes and I'm usually too slow to get the shot I want

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    q6tjjyocvcr9.png
    I’d like to say I created this beauty from scratch… but she’s actually a result of the randomizer, with me adding the tattoo and the eye.

(Wish there was a way to share a code for designs, like mass effect did)

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    My bard
    8tsec1std5yy.jpeg

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    If you, like me, thought you needed to walk to a Sigil Circle to teleport to another one, oh boy, that's not true! Just click on any one from the map and you'll warp right there.

This message brought to you by oh my god I've wasted so much time.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I told myself I'm not going to play this game until they let me make a Githzerai

if I have to wait for DLC, I'll wait for DLC

but god damnit I want to play this game

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hey, hey, this game fuckin' rocks

I'm playing a Forest Gnome rogue, named Zook Horcusporcus, in the style of Lt. Columbo

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    I told myself I'm not going to play this game until they let me make a Githzerai

if I have to wait for DLC, I'll wait for DLC

but god damnit I want to play this game

Pretty sure Larian have said they won't be adding anything extra races/classes to the game, since it would far to much recording to add in all the reactivity to the standard of what's already available.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I ended up repeatedly throwing that paladins companion off the a ladder, which will teach him for downing two of my party members in one turn

Jerk.

A trick that helps this fight is a) come in via upstairs and b)
    you can shoot the chain on the hanging brazier and drop it on everyone for opening damage/burning

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    then I'm not buying the game!

which is a shame, but there you have it

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I just looked up an NPC who showed up at my camp and apparently
    had I let her stay my character would have just murdered her and become an Oathbreaker with no option to avoid this

so like, I have genuine beef with that, an RPG should not be set up such that events that have enormous and irrevocable effects on my character just occur with no input from me. that sucks.

edit: holy shit
    even after not letting her stay my character just tracked her down and murdered her I guess, so now I'm an Oathbreaker with literally zero option to not be

Larian, what the fuck are you doing. I'm honestly kind of pissed off about this.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Can you put that NPC name in spoilers? I'm Hella curious

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    had I let her stay my character would have just murdered her and become an Oathbreaker with no option to avoid this

so like, I have genuine beef with that, an RPG should not be set up such that events that have enormous and irrevocable effects on my character just occur with no input from me. that sucks.

even after not letting her stay my character just tracked her down and murdered her I guess, so now I'm an Oathbreaker with literally zero option to not be

Larian, what the fuck are you doing. I'm honestly kind of pissed off about this.

Did you pick Dark Urge by any chance, or is this just a plain custom character

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Olivaw wrote: »

I genuinely missed the option for a regular custom character so it's been Dark Urge. So I guess that's on me! I'm an idiot!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Can you put that NPC name in spoilers? I'm Hella curious
    Alfira

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I genuinely missed the option for a regular custom character so it's been Dark Urge. So I guess that's on me!

Okay yeah that’s rough buddy, I nearly made the same mistake but on purpose because I thought it’d be good character drama

I’ve had to replay the beginning of this game like four times but now, finally, I can make progress!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I have a feeling it was the Dark Urge that forced you to take that option when you did character creation.

• Options

I genuinely missed the option for a regular custom character so it's been Dark Urge. So I guess that's on me!

Okay yeah that’s rough buddy, I nearly made the same mistake but on purpose because I thought it’d be good character drama

I’ve had to replay the beginning of this game like four times but now, finally, I can make progress!

it's fine I'll just redo the mumble mumble hours I've put in. it's fine. this is fine.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Vibes, but also like, that's pretty funny how committed to the bit Dark Urge is.

The one cool thing is that Oathbreaker is a fully featured and supported oath, and isn't even locked in to being evil in this - it can fully be the oaths are too restrictive

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Okay, so 9 or 10 hours in and I finally got my last (main?) companion. A lot of “EVERYBODY CHILL THE FUCK OUT!” was involved. But man, I am seeing that this game is incredibly slow paced. Especially for combat. It feels like every combat encounter is just my people missing 4 or 5 times for every successful hit, and most enemies taking like 4 or 5 hits to kill. So an average encounter with 5 enemies can take like 20 or 25 full turn cycles.

Which is fine, I can deal with slow. But man, some of these enemies just hit WAY harder than my team does. Like the paladins I just fought. On turn one they killed two of my people before I could do much of anything. It’s entirely possible I’m just real bad at combat, but when your average attack does like 4 damage, you hit less than half the time, and you’re fighting dudes with 50ish HP, it’s rough.

That said, literally everything else about the game that isn’t combat is wonderful. Following clues on side quests is great. Feels like there’s juuuuust the right amount of gentle guidance to keep from being inscrutable, but not so much that you’re just following glowing direction arrows around.

Oh, and I have a dog now. His name is Scratch and he’s cool as fuck.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    And to be clear, I would sooner die for Scratch than any of the other dorks I’m currently herding.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    A lot of that with combat is just that's 5E for you. Having been playing stuff like icon, 5E is just kinda bad, and it's extremely swingy due to all or nothing approaches to stuff

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    You've gotta activate some buffs. Get your rogue in hiding so they have advantage, get some faerie fire up, etc

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I haven't noticed missing in combat much so far but I'm still really early. Also the lifelong trauma of XCOM makes every time I take a 60% shot and hit feel like I've won the lottery.

The combat is fun. I love how punchy and solid everything feels. The sound and visual design of everything is very nice.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    You've gotta activate some buffs. Get your rogue in hiding so they have advantage, get some faerie fire up, etc

Faerie Fire and an assassin makes for good times. I'm doing a lore bard for the extra control and it's going pretty well so far.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Okay, so 9 or 10 hours in and I finally got my last (main?) companion. A lot of “EVERYBODY CHILL THE FUCK OUT!” was involved. But man, I am seeing that this game is incredibly slow paced. Especially for combat. It feels like every combat encounter is just my people missing 4 or 5 times for every successful hit, and most enemies taking like 4 or 5 hits to kill. So an average encounter with 5 enemies can take like 20 or 25 full turn cycles.

Which is fine, I can deal with slow. But man, some of these enemies just hit WAY harder than my team does. Like the paladins I just fought. On turn one they killed two of my people before I could do much of anything. It’s entirely possible I’m just real bad at combat, but when your average attack does like 4 damage, you hit less than half the time, and you’re fighting dudes with 50ish HP, it’s rough.

That said, literally everything else about the game that isn’t combat is wonderful. Following clues on side quests is great. Feels like there’s juuuuust the right amount of gentle guidance to keep from being inscrutable, but not so much that you’re just following glowing direction arrows around.

Oh, and I have a dog now. His name is Scratch and he’s cool as fuck.

Assuming those are the level 5 Paladins that are the one companion's sidequest, you probably want to avoid them for as long as possible. Level 5 Paladins are extremely powerful in 5e.

More broadly, this is just A Thing in 5e. Monsters that are a level or two higher than your party are probably no big deal - challenging, but manageable in most circumstances. Non-monster enemies that are built like PCs will wipe the floor with you if they have two levels on you because PC levels are way more powerful than monster levels on average.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    People using mods, is it normal to get a popup at start warning about a data mismatch? Feels like I can probably ignore it since I know what the new files are but I don't want to bugger my save up if it's actually a problem

• Options
    CoolrekCoolrek Registered User regular
    I'm playing an eldritch knight and they give you soul bound weapon at level 3, so I have completely forgone ranged weapons in favour of just throwing my sword at people. It doesn't do as much damage but is a lot more satisfying when it hits

• Options
    The mobility in this compared to similar games I've played is awesome, being able to jump and climb. I've had a few times now where I thought "hmm I wonder if I can do this" but expected the game wouldn't allow it, only to find that it did. And playing as a gnome if I need to get somewhere I can't jump to I can get one of my stronger party members to pick me up and throw me. It's so good.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Met mud mephits, small buggers that explode when you kill them, summon more of themself and are small and light.
    The game might as well call them self refilling grenades with the way you can throw them at each other

causality.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The mobility in this compared to similar games I've played is awesome, being able to jump and climb. I've had a few times now where I thought "hmm I wonder if I can do this" but expected the game wouldn't allow it, only to find that it did. And playing as a gnome if I need to get somewhere I can't jump to I can get one of my stronger party members to pick me up and throw me. It's so good.

Okay now I want to play a gnome Barbarian and get Fastball Special'd by a big magic user into melee range on the regular.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    This game is consuming my life. I played a bunch of my solo campaign today, and am about to go play a different campaign with friends. It's a good game

I’d be interested to hear how that goes! I kinda want to play it with some distant pals but I don’t know how many will already have it and if it’s going to be $60 a pop for people I don’t want to find out the multiplayer element is too fiddly.

Updoot: it works REALLY well. I’m pretty impressed at how smoothly it integrates 4 people all running around doing things at the same time.

As SanderJK mentioned, it’s really the host’s game, and the rest are tagging along. Everyone needs to create their characters at the same time when you first establish the session, if they’re not just taking over an origin character.

Long story short, excellent fun for a group of pals

• Options
    proxy_hueproxy_hue Registered User regular
    I'm starting to think everyone's complaints about missing a lot is actually due to the karma dice setting being bugged, because I turned that off at the beginning and haven't noticed any large amounts of missing. It also might be that I try to get advantage on attacks a lot of the time, but given how squirrelly and janky the game still seems, I'd not be surprised if they just messed up how they smooth out dice rolls.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    So is failing to fight the urge to make out with an illithid and getting game over the new dying while trying to get your tie??

Asking for a friend

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    You could kill yourself by immediately blowing up the aquarium right in front of you as soon as you get control of your character.

Also speaking for a friend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    BG3 posits the question "What if everyone was Super Mario?"

Most of my movement in combat is jumping.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, do you ever get to Baldur's Gate the city in BG3?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    BG3 posits the question "What if everyone was Super Mario?"

Most of my movement in combat is jumping.

‘What if every character was a Warrior Jumper’.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Out of curiosity, do you ever get to Baldur's Gate the city in BG3?

Several people now have have said they'll meet me there, so, presumably!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    C0HI8dPh.jpg

my spouse and I had our anniversary this weekend and we celebrated by playing split screen co-op for the evening

she's got a tiefling druid, I've got a githyanki bard, and together we are just two sassy dames trying to make it happen in the Sword Coast

• Options
    @Brolo and others who wanted to see what changed in the game

https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/15jgdf2/heres_a_list_of_all_the_changes_made_to_5e/

This should help

This discussion has been closed.