Options

🖥️🎮 - Pizza Possum, Wildmender, Diluvian Ultra & Overpass 2 out today!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Has there ever been a time in business history when so many companies were clamoring to provide bullshit products and services that nobody actually likes or wants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nieB0VoRbVU

I don't know what you're talking about I want a McD.L.T. right now

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    hot beefy McD

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    What even is the point of metaverse?

Like, all these companies are trying to make one, but for what?

What's the actual product that I'm supposed to be excited enough to whip out my wallet for?

It kind of seems like they're all trying to make a WoW killer 15 years ago, but they don't have a game to show, just a monthly subscription system.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    They really want to make it sound like Fortnite isn't basically just a slightly less evil Roblox

Metaverse makes it sound grand

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    What did Epic actually do to Bandcamp, is it a worse place for musicians now? I've bought like one album through there (what up theme to Marielda from Friends at the Table), so not really up on it.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

What's the actual product that I'm supposed to be excited enough to whip out my wallet for?

It kind of seems like they're all trying to make a WoW killer 15 years ago, but they don't have a game to show, just a monthly subscription system.

imagine if you could monopolize not just one facet of digital interactions, but every single thing a person ever does using a computer

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I am one of the people affected by the layoffs today at Epic. I'm absolutely devastated to leave behind so many amazing Mediatonic colleagues who I loved.

So: the job search begins! If you need an experienced writer or narrative designer, please get in touch :)
    Guy was the game director at the studio that made fall guys

did fall guys need a narrative designer??

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

imagine if you could monopolize not just one facet of digital interactions, but every single thing a person ever does using a computer

So they're making... Windows?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

So they're making... Windows?

if you also paid Microsoft for all your games and online transactions, sure

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    What did Epic actually do to Bandcamp, is it a worse place for musicians now? I've bought like one album through there (what up theme to Marielda from Friends at the Table), so not really up on it.

It's less "Something bad has already happened" and more "What possible good could come of this." They bought Bandcamp a year ago, left it alone, and now they're selling it to a music marketing firm.

I suppose it's theoretically possible that a music marketing company does nothing to ruin a music distribution platform, but it's 2023 and I have not suffered any recent blows to the head that would diminish my object permanence or pattern recognition. Alas, I must choose cynicism in self-defense.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    that is basically what microsoft is going for also yes

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Masterful geography makes Cocoon's world-hopping puzzles not only a series of clever problems, but a grand exploration of a wonderfully realised cosmic universe. Our review:
    https://rockpapershotgun.com/cocoon-review

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I am one of the people affected by the layoffs today at Epic. I'm absolutely devastated to leave behind so many amazing Mediatonic colleagues who I loved.

So: the job search begins! If you need an experienced writer or narrative designer, please get in touch :)

I don't know anything about this guy, but I resolved that discrepancy in my head by assuming he had worked as a game director for fall guys but is currently looking for a job as a narrative designer because he likes that job more.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »

I don't know anything about this guy, but I resolved that discrepancy in my head by assuming he had worked as a game director for fall guys but is currently looking for a job as a narrative designer because he likes that job more.

He worked on Murder By Numbers, the other 2020 Mediatonic game.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    SLyM wrote: »

He worked on Murder By Numbers, the other 2020 Mediatonic game.

Oh, that was a cute one! Slightly overlong, but I overall really enjoyed it.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Brolo wrote: »
    Has there ever been a time in business history when so many companies were clamoring to provide bullshit products and services that nobody actually likes or wants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nieB0VoRbVU

I don't know what you're talking about I want a McD.L.T. right now

i love referring to burgers as "lettuce and tomato hamburgers" and i will be using that from now on

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    god the rolled up suit jacket sleeves, the plagues of the pharoahs had nothin on that shit

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I had hoped Murder By Numbers was slightly more mystery game and slightly less "pixel hunt for the start to another Picross" but it was definitely pretty fun. Also just... very diverse without being in your face, like one of the cases just starred a drag queen and it wasn't a big deal or hacky

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Epic certainly wasn't likely to be a "good" steward for Bandcamp

But I can't think of anyone worse to handle it than "Anyone in the music industry"

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I had hoped Murder By Numbers was slightly more mystery game and slightly less "pixel hunt for the start to another Picross" but it was definitely pretty fun. Also just... very diverse without being in your face, like one of the cases just starred a drag queen and it wasn't a big deal or hacky

In learned one new thing about drag culture from the game -- videogames are okay sometimes.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Also the puzzle music was banging.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    money was free when they made the choice to buy these things, and now money isn't free and as always normal people have to suffer not the giga rich people making the decisions.

it sucks here.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    oh is that what happened to harmonix

shit

• Options
    afaik they were bought so they could be forced to make concerts in fortnite after that marshmellow one or whatever the fuck it was was so popular

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

How is that still a real thing and not just a joke

• Options
    ahahahaha my god

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    grifter gonna grift

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Ubisoft also hit with layoffs today.

Is September the end of one of the fiscal quarters? I've never really paid attention to business calendars.

• Options
    9lidp5vshjx4.png
    me when i hear there's a new peter molyneux game

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Unfiltered Molyneux sprinkled with the BLOCKCHAIN is such a perfect combination that I legit cannot wait to see the trashfire.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    Ubisoft also hit with layoffs today.

Is September the end of one of the fiscal quarters? I've never really paid attention to business calendars.

A lot of companies and non-profits end their fiscal year in September and start the next one in October, yes.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    And the US government! Shutdown ahoy!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    While I have no interest in a Web3 "business sim", a "Web3 Business" sim has potential. Not with Molyneux involved though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Darkstalkers Morrigan 1/12 Scale BBTS Exclusive Figure up for preorder at BBTS ($104.99) https://bit.ly/3EWZg8P

ok yeah. buying this lol. you got me.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

I like how they aren't just using what looks like stock-art for the characters, but two different styles of stock art.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

let's fucking gooooooooo

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Man I gotta tell ya, starting to feel a little nervous as someone who works at one of the few major game devs who hasn't been hit with out-of-nowhere layoffs yet

like obviously leadership has repeatedly assured us that everything's cool, no layoffs are planned, etc. but I'm sure that's exactly what was being said at every other developer that's been hit recently

• Options

Unfortunately I was apart of today’s layoffs at Ubisoft. It was fortunate to have a near year of experience working with some of the most gifted community and creatives imaginable!

I’m actively seeking roles in:

• Production/project management
    • Community
    • Influencers

some more layoffs from ubisoft

Layoffs at Blizzard again. The 'Hearthstone' team is getting restructured.

https://linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7112482456317947904/

and from Blizzard

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Man I gotta tell ya, starting to feel a little nervous as someone who works at one of the few major game devs who hasn't been hit with out-of-nowhere layoffs yet

like obviously leadership has repeatedly assured us that everything's cool, no layoffs are planned, etc. but I'm sure that's exactly what was being said at every other developer that's been hit recently

yeah they literally always say that right up until you're fired, it's a completely meaningless reassurance

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.