As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Pizza Possum, Wildmender, Diluvian Ultra & Overpass 2 out today!

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    So I didn't see this mentioned yet even though this came out today!

🟥THE YEAR IS 30XX - OUT NOW ON STEAM🟦
    💥Roguelite action platforming, 100s of powerups & weapons, lush pixels, crispy controls
    📌Non-permadeath modes & wild challenges
    👥Full co-op, online & local
    🗺️Full level editor - delight & enrage your friends

Battery Staple Games is the developer of 30XX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lUOITpSOpQ

30XX is a primarily roguelite Mega Man X style platformer with full co-op, a level editor, and a more traditional "Mega Mode" for people who liked the old "Kill 8 Bosses And Do A Wily Castle" and it's fucking FANTASTIC. Like, super good. I know it got posted about here sometimes during the early access period but it's AT 1.0 FINALLY AND ALSO OUT ON SWITCH.

Plaaaay itttt

It's gooooood

EDIT: Oh also the soundtrack slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1jbVvyWAx0

MechMantis on
    BroloDarmakShadowfireIoloshoeboxjeddysarukundurandal4532KarozTofystedethTrajan45Magic PinkElvenshaematthias00Kristmas KthulhuLucedesFencingsaxOlivaw
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    sarukun wrote: »
    Getting old rules and is a blessing and it's legitimately very nice to have all the complaining about it somewhat quarantined

I mean, nobody complaints about all the great stuff about getting old

Cuz, y’know, it’s great.

It’s the shitty stuff that sucks that people complain about! And some it sucks and is shitty! I don’t like sneezing and the. Having to hurt for several hours afterward!

Yeah but "A thing happened ten years ago and ten is a big number" is not exactly plumbing the depths of the human experience idk

Not, but it is pretty strongly universal.

Edit: I wanna be clear here, I think endless grousing about getting old is tedious and shallow, and I feel better at 40 by several light years than I ever did at 20, I’m not saying you’re completely wrong.

But yeah, when my entire back and left shoulder hurt because I “slept wrong”, I wanna bitch about it for a minute.

sarukun on
    Magic Pink
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    did you know that someone who was once young is now slightly older? does that make you feel old

sarukun3cl1ps3BroloZonugalMagellDisruptedCapitalistElvenshaePreacherKristmas KthulhuOlivaw
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Aging has had some big pros and cons

Pros: I get more money at my more stable job, I have done some very cool things and am now able to do exponentially cooler things with the skillset I have gotten from my work and from the multitude of hours I've invested into hobbies, I have learned a lot more about physical fitness and have fixed injuries that plagued me for most of my 20s, I have met many more people that I love and that's wonderful, I feel more powerful and capable as time goes on and I accomplish more and more (especially when it comes to creative works where I feel more confident I can make whatever I'm dreaming up)

Cons: my feet are fucking garbage and I hope a surgeon in my overburdened health care system will deign to fix them, I worry about the mortality of my friends and family (but that's nothing new)

On the whole my 30s are Pretty Neat aside from that whole pandemic thing for the first 3 of 'em, hoping to continue becoming weirder and more interesting as I go

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    BroloZonugalKristmas Kthulhu
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    did you know that someone who was once young is now slightly older? does that make you feel old

yes it does

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    sarukun
    Frankly, if I can make it through the next 10-15 years without being shelled or blockaded by the People’s Liberation Army, I’m pretty sure my twilight years are going to kick ass.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
    sarukunCrippl3Munkus BeaverEtiowsaJedocNeveronBurtletoyOlivaw
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    sometimes certain conversation topics can wind up getting repeated into the ground because of casual memery on the subject and i just want to be clear

"wait X is Y long ago???" has been done way too much in the past few months on the forums and i'm going to be super curmudgeon about it

3cl1ps3BroloPoorochondriacshoeboxjeddyZonugalTynnanMagellWheatBun01DisruptedCapitalistStraightziLucedesFencingsaxSageinaRage
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    sometimes certain conversation topics can wind up getting repeated into the ground because of casual memery on the subject and i just want to be clear

"wait X is Y long ago???" has been done way too much in the past few months on the forums and i'm going to be super curmudgeon about it

this post was made almost 15 minutes ago, doesn't that make you feel old?

old as balls?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    sarukunBahamutZERO3cl1ps3ShadowfireTynnanSporkAndrewElvenshaeFencingsaxOlivawSageinaRage
    SLyM wrote: »

old as balls?

yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
    Lucedes
    edited August 2023

old as balls?

me irl
    egqlswtixiqe.jpeg

sarukun on
    BahamutZEROshoeboxjeddyMunkus BeaverSiliconStewTrajan45mrpakuMagic PinkElvenshaeNeveronmatthias00FencingsaxOlivaw
    god calvin is the most relatable character I have ever found in media

BahamutZERO.gif
    sarukunKaroz3cl1ps3ShadowfireTynnanMunkus BeaverMechMantisDonnictonDisruptedCapitalistTrajan45mrpakuMagic Pinkqwer12DepressperadoElvenshaeMegaMan001NeveronCantideFishmanDuke 2.0BurtletoyLucedesFencingsaxOlivawJohnny Chopsocky
    I wish I was doing a bit but it really do be like that up in my head

BahamutZERO.gif
    Magic PinkDepressperadoOlivawJohnny Chopsocky
    edited August 2023
    god calvin is the most relatable character I have ever found in media

Calvin is very weird.

He is like, a very specifically heightened reality version of an actual six year old.

Edit: so like, yeah, exactly me.

sarukun on
    not just any six year old though, six year old me was like, holy fuck this person is me specifically

BahamutZERO.gif
    sarukunMunkus BeavermrpakuDuke 2.0FencingsaxOlivaw
    I think I’m more Calvin now than when I was six, but I can see six year old me from where I live now for sure.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I simply keep too busy to have time for existential crisis

Gotta exist anyway, why have a crisis about it

Cello3cl1ps3sarukunTynnanMagellLucedes
    there's my problem, I have too much damn time to dwell on things

BahamutZERO.gif
    you should read a book or something

ZonugalMagell
    edited August 2023
    Back in my younger days, getting away from dwelling on things so much is why I originally got into video games, and reading books a lot, and watching TV a lot, but the internet has largely supplanted those last two for a decade or two.
    Reading books and video games were definitely the better of the three options but I ran out of games and books so easily. :weary:

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    you should read a book or something

That’s what started this whole mess!

Elvenshae
    read a fun one, like the very hungry caterpillar or something

Crippl3
    the very hungry caterpillar is a good metaphor for the approach of entropy

BahamutZERO.gif
    sarukunShadowfireKristmas Kthulhu
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited August 2023

old as balls?

Gonna be honest, the kind of humor that's just responding to a sincere call not to do something with "I'm doing the thing! Watch me do the thing" is even worse than the I feel old jokes, it's literally just being a jackass and acting like self awareness of that makes it funny

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdIRrmNN_CQ

Crippl3ZamKristmas KthulhuFencingsaxSageinaRage
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

On the other hand if you're gonna have a crisis about something, existence is a reasonable one IMO. Existing is fucking weird!

sarukunBahamutZERODisruptedCapitalistmrpakuMagic PinkEtiowsaTynnanElvenshaeJedoc3cl1ps3Kristmas KthulhuLucedes
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

On the other hand if you're gonna have a crisis about something, existence is a reasonable one IMO. Existing is fucking weird!

Look, the last time I took advice from a 70 million year old lizard, I woke up in the middle of The Valley of Fire in my underwear.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Holy shit did you folks know in Stardew Valley (spoilers for mega creepy)
    you can turn your children into birds and then if you check the TV on Halloween the spirit of the child crawls out of it in the form of a doll and then if you dump that doll in the sea you have to fight the murdered souls of your children if you want to use the witch's hut??https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK1qGw68Oys

i mean holy crap

SERIOUSLY DID YOU ALL KNOW THIS??

I am legit freaked out, this is insanely creepy!

Magic Pink on
    DepressperadoKristmas KthulhuHappy Little Machine
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i started playing the first Remnant after bouncing off it a couple times

i'm a couple hours in and so far it most feels just Fine and maybe a little boring

is 2 a big improvement? between a lack of meaningful upgrades and bland proc-gen levels it feels underwhelming, though the shooting and movement feel mostly serviceable

@Elendil I bounced off as well but it's a LOT more fun with people, like just ridiculously so

Kristmas Kthulhu
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZl1yGUetjI
    Overwatch 2 is a critically acclaimed, team-based shooter game set in an optimistic future with an evolving roster of heroes. Team up with friends and jump in today.
    20230810 Overwatch® 2 (Hero Shooter FPS Free to Play Multiplayer PvP)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JszvozlB26k
    Build and manage villages in an open-world feudal Japan. Survive, explore, meet unique characters, and establish your legacy. Play solo or in co-op multiplayer.
    20230810 Sengoku Dynasty (Early Access Adventure Simulation RPG 3D )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJbVvjviXOc
    Rise from the dust and glide the sands of a timeless land, filled with ancient dangers, mysteries and fragments of the past. Hunt legendary monsters with powerful sand-infused weapons and abilities in spectacular, super-powered combat.
    20230810 Atlas Fallen (Action Adventure Action RPG Action-Adventure)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwG5f7Xwa2M
    Roguelike Squad-based Autobattler in a Tabletop RPG setting. Draft your army, carefully equip and position your units, make important choices, and meet a colorful cast of characters as you make ready for the Grand Tournament.
    20230810 Tales & Tactics (Early Access Hex Grid Strategy Auto Battler )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzrtAfkCFPQ
    Banchou Tactics is a strategy turn based role-playing game in the Japanese Gangster High School
    20230810 BANCHOU TACTICS (Strategy Turn-Based Strategy 2D Fighter JRPG )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coQQ-K8Iwi8
    Gods. Romance. Murder. Musical Numbers?! Play as Grace in a world where Greek Gods live in hiding among us. Change your fate as you draw friends, foes & lovers into song using your powers of musical persuasion to unravel the mystery of the Last Muse's death.
    20230810 Stray Gods: The Roleplaying Musical (Interactive Fiction Story Rich Adventure Music)

Kristmas KthulhuIolo
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    A note on ABK, publishers of Overwatch 2:

Activision Blizzard

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/demands-ubisoft-blizzard-reform-going-123609919.html?guccounter=1
    Activision Blizzard employees penned an open letter to management following the sexual harassment lawsuit by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing that shook the gaming industry over the summer.

The letter demanded that senior leadership “recognise the seriousness of these allegations and demonstrate compassion for victims of harassment and assault”."

these harassment cases, and many other abuses, have still not been resolved

KarozsarukunShadowfireKristmas KthulhuHappy Little Machine
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Holy shit did you folks know in Stardew Valley (spoilers for mega creepy)
    you can turn your children into birds and then if you check the TV on Halloween the spirit of the child crawls out of it in the form of a doll and then if you dump that doll in the sea you have to fight the murdered souls of your children if you want to use the witch's hut??https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK1qGw68Oys

i mean holy crap

SERIOUSLY DID YOU ALL KNOW THIS??

I am legit freaked out, this is insanely creepy!

I don't have kids, I thought this was just how parenting works

Magic PinkOdin3cl1ps3GlalJedocMaddocsarukunDisruptedCapitalistBurtletoyKristmas KthulhuLucedesFencingsaxOlivawHappy Little Machine
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Was Overwatch 2 considered to be in beta until today or something? I thought it released a long time ago.

KarozShadowfireMegaMan001
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I don't see what's so great about the passage of time.

The only thing I've unlocked in a while was the side-quest to become President of the United States once I passed level 35, but that quest is an insane grind and I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible if you didn't roll the perfect origin story so I'm not really going to bother with it.

And now I don't think I get anymore unlocks until like level 65 or some shit. Who balanced this thing?

durandal4532
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Was Overwatch 2 considered to be in beta until today or something? I thought it released a long time ago.

They launched a PvE mode today I think

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The only thing I know about Overwatch 2 is that they basically stopped actual development on Overwatch 1, because OW2 was going to be the bigger better version with a full blown PVE compoent.

Then they killed the PVE portion and Overwatch 2 is now a F2P game with a battlepass.

So OW players languished with a stagnant game (OW1) based on the assumption that OW2 would be worth it. And that never materialised.

I'm looking at Blizzard and wondering how they managed to fuck up that badly. They make Ubisoft and their management of Rainbow Six: Siege look good.

matthias00sarukunDarkPrimusFencingsax
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    They had to move past lootboxes but they replaced it with some of the worst season passes out there that made me miss the lootboxes (getting them, not paying for them).

Chasing the almighty dollar causes dumb decisions once again.

CelloCrippl3BionicPenguin
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

honestly whenever I see my (formerly) baby nephew at a family meetup I'm like, wait, he can walk and talk and what do you mean he's six years old

I'm pretty sure it's just a thing where your caveman brain expects things to be exactly how they were the last time you saw them, so when they're different it gets spooked
    e.g. the last time you played Papers, Please was when it was a "new" game, so when you see it again and it's not new then you go "oh no, time is slipping through my fingers"

meanwhile nobody's particularly surprised about Skyrim being old because it's continually rereleased and in the zeitgeist (time ghost) because of that

matthias00BahamutZEROCalicaKristmas Kthulhu
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Lars wrote: »

It's finally coming to Steam today, alongside the new season featuring the first pack of PvE missions, a new support hero, a new game mode, single-player training missions, and other stuff. Of course, the PVE missions are a separate charge ($15 gets you the missions, 1000 Overwatch Credits aka $10 of premium currency, and an exclusive skin for Sojourn) which made my interest instantly evaporate. Some friends and I enjoy playing the game for free, but I'm not dropping money on it.

Crippl3 on
    sarukunCello
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I watched a bit of Atlas fallen today, man the voice acting work is fucking rough. But its by the surge devs so like par for the course?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.