As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Pizza Possum, Wildmender, Diluvian Ultra & Overpass 2 out today!

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Big news for Destiny: https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/Article/zvaa
    Lance Reddick, before he passed away, was the voice of Commander Zavala, one of the most important and well-liked NPCs in the game. Bungie has decided on a replacement starting in the new expansion next year: Keith David.
    Earlier this year, we lost Lance Reddick, the English language voice actor of Commander Zavala. The passion and professionalism Lance brought to the role over the last decade was unmistakable and loved by all. Lance’s iconic voice led us through the most intense moments in Destiny’s history and his impact on our Guardians, our community, and Bungie as a whole will never be forgotten. 

Commander Zavala has been central to the story we have been telling since the original Destiny, and we have plans to continue his journey. 

Keith David, a prolific actor on the stage and in television, film, and games, will assume the English language voice of Zavala in The Final Shape and beyond. Separately, Lance’s existing lines in-game will remain untouched for the upcoming release. 

On becoming the new Vanguard leader, Keith said, “I am honored to continue the great work of Lance Reddick as Zavala. Lance captured the character's sense of integrity so wonderfully. It is my intention to continue that work.” 

Bungie is honored to continue the relationship that began with Keith during the days of Halo, and the team is excited for what he brings to the role of the Commander. We will always remain respectful to the role Zavala has played thus far, and look forward to the journey ahead.

shoeboxjeddycursedkingJacobkoshBroloUbikAzraithmatthias00ShadowfireMortal SkyTynnanThe Zombie PenguinDarkPrimusGlalDizzy DMunkus BeaverFencingsaxnever dieCelloThe JudgepookaOlivawHappy Little MachineIoloJohnny Chopsocky
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    The replacement for loot in OW2 absolutely feels worse in every way than a loot box upon level, it's actually kind of impressive how much they fucked it up.

You can just buy the thing you want now! Bad news it's like thirty to fifty dollars.

The side effects of killing loot boxes is you also never get the stuff that, let's be real you would never pay money for, like emotes and voice lines and such.

Maddoc on
    Crippl3KarozmilskiBionicPenguinmatthias00DarkPrimusFencingsaxCelloOlivaw
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I watched a bit of Atlas fallen today, man the voice acting work is fucking rough. But its by the surge devs so like par for the course?

oh that's why it's on my wishlist, i had no idea why i had a not-assassin's-creed on there

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Big news for Destiny: https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/Article/zvaa
    Lance Reddick, before he passed away, was the voice of Commander Zavala, one of the most important and well-liked NPCs in the game. Bungie has decided on a replacement starting in the new expansion next year: Keith David.
    Earlier this year, we lost Lance Reddick, the English language voice actor of Commander Zavala. The passion and professionalism Lance brought to the role over the last decade was unmistakable and loved by all. Lance’s iconic voice led us through the most intense moments in Destiny’s history and his impact on our Guardians, our community, and Bungie as a whole will never be forgotten. 

Commander Zavala has been central to the story we have been telling since the original Destiny, and we have plans to continue his journey. 

Keith David, a prolific actor on the stage and in television, film, and games, will assume the English language voice of Zavala in The Final Shape and beyond. Separately, Lance’s existing lines in-game will remain untouched for the upcoming release. 

On becoming the new Vanguard leader, Keith said, “I am honored to continue the great work of Lance Reddick as Zavala. Lance captured the character's sense of integrity so wonderfully. It is my intention to continue that work.” 

Bungie is honored to continue the relationship that began with Keith during the days of Halo, and the team is excited for what he brings to the role of the Commander. We will always remain respectful to the role Zavala has played thus far, and look forward to the journey ahead.

Similar deep voiced recognition, but I think of Keith David to normally be a bit more unhinged than Lance Riddick ever comes across.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    You know you fucked up when people miss loot boxes in your fucking game.

Tofystedeth3cl1ps3Magic PinkCrippl3MagellJedocPeewiBionicPenguinMechMantismatthias00DoodmannTheySlashThemWheatBun01ShadowfireMortal SkyTynnanOptyThe Zombie PenguinDuke 2.0PaperLuigi44CantideKristmas KthulhuLucedesMunkus BeaverFencingsaxDiarmuidKaroznever dieCelloElvenshaeOlivawHappy Little Machine
  • JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Seems like a great time to break off and focus on Destiny 3...

Nah they're working on an extraction looter shooter in the Marathon universe god knows people have been clamoring for that

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Karoz
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Keith David is a great choice and it’s also a good idea to do a VA swap rather than killing the character.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    3cl1ps3ZonugalshoeboxjeddyKarozCrippl3Peewimatthias00DJ EebsTofystedethTheySlashThemShadowfireMortal SkyTynnanUndead ScottsmanThe Zombie PenguinMegaMan001Munkus BeaverEtiowsaFencingsaxnever dieKnight_OlivawHappy Little MachineJohnny Chopsocky
    Escape from Tarkov had a wipe lastnight/this morning so now is your optimal time to play the game!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The replacement for loot in OW2 absolutely feels worse in every way than a loot box upon level, it's actually kind of impressive how much they fucked it up.

You can just buy the thing you want now! Bad news it's like thirty to fifty dollars.

The side effects of killing loot boxes is you also never get the stuff that, let's be real you would never pay money for, like emotes and voice lines and such.
    i cannot fathom paying thirty dollars for a character skin

i guilt trip myself for spending three bucks on something like that

Magic PinkBahamutZEROshoeboxjeddydurandal4532BionicPenguinJacobkoshDoodmannKarozPeewiLegacyGlalsarukunKristmas KthulhuRanlinFencingsaxCelloOlivawHappy Little Machine
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's fucked up!

And now if you don't spend money, instead of getting an occasional loot box that probably doesn't necessarily have the thing you wanted but has something, you just get nothing!

If you did all your weeklies for like a solid year you might be able to buy a skin

KarozCrippl3
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Escape from Tarkov had a wipe lastnight/this morning so now is your optimal time to play the game!

I had a wipe this morning too

JtgVX0H.png
    MrMonroeTynnanRanlin
    I'm not going to lie and say I haven't spent way more than that for a ship in STO... But that's also why I stopped playing STO.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Happy Little Machine
    edited August 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyxBE163n20

Quake 2 getting a rerelease with a new expansion?!

Oh even better out today!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    ProhassGlaldurandal4532ElvenshaeHappy Little Machine
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Putting the new campaign content behind the paywall bit is probably the one thing that would've gotten me to actually pay for anything in OW2, if not for all the Blizzavision.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Quake 2 is the single most uninspired and blandest game there ever was. As a follow-up to the original, which had a very palpable and distinct style, it might be the worst sequel ever made.

#GamingOpinions

DarmakProlegomena
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Quake 2 is the single most uninspired and blandest game there ever was. As a follow-up to the original, which had a very palpable and distinct style, it might be the worst sequel ever made.

#GamingOpinions

Seriously, I love Quake so goddamn much, but every Quake since then has been a huuuuge disappointment

JtgVX0H.png
  • PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    One of my complaints with Quake 2 is that the it's sometimes difficult to find the way forward.

Apparently Nighdive agrees with me. This new release adds a compass equipment item, that when used creates markers on the floor showing the way forward.

PreacherCrippl3GlalsarukunElvenshaeOlivawHappy Little Machine
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyxBE163n20

Quake 2 getting a rerelease with a new expansion?!

Oh even better out today!

btw, this is a free update to the game, so if you already owned it you get all the new stuff (split-screen multiplayer, new expansion, the Quake 2 64 content, etc.) for free
    similar to how they did the Quake 1 remaster a year or two ago

PreacherFig-DGlalBroloKristmas KthulhuShadowfireElvenshaeOlivawHappy Little MachineIolo
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Holy shit did you folks know in Stardew Valley (spoilers for mega creepy)
    you can turn your children into birds and then if you check the TV on Halloween the spirit of the child crawls out of it in the form of a doll and then if you dump that doll in the sea you have to fight the murdered souls of your children if you want to use the witch's hut??https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK1qGw68Oys

i mean holy crap

SERIOUSLY DID YOU ALL KNOW THIS??

I am legit freaked out, this is insanely creepy!

Concerned Ape put a lot of not very happy stuff in his happy farm sim game. I was the one who first used the term "genocide route" in reference to this game when I tried to play all the negative quests in SDV.

Understandably, people were appalled. (And it caused me to burn out on the game and never play it again, so I wouldn't recommend it.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    did you know that someone who was once young is now slightly older? does that make you feel old

honestly whenever I see my (formerly) baby nephew at a family meetup I'm like, wait, he can walk and talk and what do you mean he's six years old

I'm pretty sure it's just a thing where your caveman brain expects things to be exactly how they were the last time you saw them, so when they're different it gets spooked
    e.g. the last time you played Papers, Please was when it was a "new" game, so when you see it again and it's not new then you go "oh no, time is slipping through my fingers"

meanwhile nobody's particularly surprised about Skyrim being old because it's continually rereleased and in the zeitgeist (time ghost) because of that

I have a nephew who had graduated college for game design and now does the same job I do (tech support).

It's very weird.

I await the day my brothers kids also say something horrible to me so I don't talk to them either. Just like their daddy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Justice
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I have a bunch of WoW gold/tokens from when I played 5 years ago I could probably turn into real money to buy into OW2's PVE stuff, but the effort to do that is past my threshold

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

#GamingOpinions

Counterpoint: It had a great selection of weapons and one of the best videogame soundtracks of all time. It was also id actually trying to evolve their design rather than Quake's "It's Doom again, but in 3D!" Though I think I prefer Quake II to Quake anyway. Quake was undeniably a more important game, but I think Quake II is more fun to play. Quake I is definitely a more important game on the long run though.

This remaster is something; the aforementioned compass was added to navigate the world and they even removed the silly thing where the machine gun would kick up (but no other weapon) and the enemies are doing shit they never did in teh original, like attacking while moving or dodging out of the way of attacks. It's wild. I'm definitely looking forward to playing though it all, but they had to drop this on the same day I had a doctors appointment :P

Crippl3ProhassmrpakuKristmas KthulhuMortal SkyHappy Little Machine
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

#GamingOpinions

Counterpoint: It had a great selection of weapons and one of the best videogame soundtracks of all time.

No that was Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg

Dee Kae
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I love quake 1 and 2 for different reasons and I’m super stoked about this release.

However I think if they make a new Quake game it should definitely be the kind of medieval/gothic look of quake 1. Quake 2s cybernetic/industrial sci-fi is too similar to doom 2016/eternal and would feel too samey

Either that or make it a kind of Remnant/timesplitters portal hopping thing with different styles and settings you visit via dimensional portals

Prohass on
    Crippl3
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I liked the single player campaign in Quake 2 and 4 and wanted an ending to the Strogg war storyline.

I am almost certainly alone in this

ProhassBroloMortal SkyHappy Little Machine
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Good god, we found the one person that cares about the Strogg.

The fucking Strogg.

BroloOlivaw
    HE HAS MY AXE!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    ProhassmrpakuKarozMegaMan001Mortal SkyElvenshaeHappy Little Machine
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I love cyborgs so the strogg are my jam

Also it tried to autocorrect to stroganoff when I wrote this, so just more pluses in the win column for strogg

Prohass on
    PreacherDizzy Ddurandal4532Mortal SkyElvenshaeHappy Little Machine
    Man haven't had a good beef stroganoff in a while.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    mrpakuElvenshae
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Good god, we found the one person that cares about the Strogg.

The fucking Strogg.

I mean, conceptually, the Strong are fucking terrifying. Maybe not terribly original, but you have this alien race going around processing other organic species and fitting them with their technology in order to form their frontline. These are people that are kept alive for the process as they're turned into an amalgamation of flesh and alien metal. The opposing force is creating Cronenberg monsters from your friends and family who live on a force fed sludge made from humans that don't survive the process. It's necromancy, but more fucked up!

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    mrpakuPreacherCrippl3Kristmas KthulhuMortal SkyHappy Little Machine
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    any big enemy territory quake wars fans in the chat

JayKaosCrippl3Mr FuzzbuttMortal Sky
  • PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    HE HAS MY AXE!

Which is weird, since Quake 1 is the one with the axe.

And it was us who wanted a caravan.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    sarukun
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    any big enemy territory quake wars fans in the chat

Supposedly that's where a bunch of hype for Brink came from.

I never had the pleasure myself.

Brink was so bad though. Like really bad.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    KarozDoodmannsarukundurandal4532Knight_Olivaw
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    For sure, I just remember folks mentioning Quake Enemy Territory in the run up to the release of Brink.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I really like Quake 2, I might actually like it more than one. I also liked Quake 4.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Q2dm1 railguns only duels please and thank you

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Elvenshae
This discussion has been closed.