As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Pizza Possum, Wildmender, Diluvian Ultra & Overpass 2 out today!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Due to the most recent episode of A More Civilized Age, I am now playing KOTOR on my steam deck. It is playable right from steam but the controls are a bit funky and it is 4:3. I was reading that there are ways to change this but frankly I'm not sure I care.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Elvenshae
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Fun thing in the Q2 remaster: In multiplayer you get to pick your character model and a little nameplate that shows up on the scoreboard, the default one is just the Q2 logo but there's tons, including all sorts of Microsoft and id games, but also games worked on by Nightdive, including the main character of Blade Runner, SHODAN, the BLOOD logo, Powerslave, and more. There's also fun Windows Solitaire, SkiFree, and Minesweeper ones lol

PreacherZonugalKristmas Kthulhudurandal4532GlalOlivawHappy Little MachineIolo
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if it's because I'm playing on nightmare, but MAN did they add in a bunch of new behaviors for enemies. The little converted humans will jump dodge, the enforcers will move while shooting, and the beserkers will leap across rooms and delivery ground slams making them an actual threat at mid-distances. This ain't your daddy's Quake II.

Ugh, I just realized Quake II is old enough to rent a car so your dad's Quake II could literally be Quake II.

PreacherKristmas Kthulhudurandal4532DonnictonHappy Little MachineIolo
    Weird that Nightdive worked on this but they don't get their little splash screen in the beginning.

Wearingglasses
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Brink was so bad though. Like really bad.

I fucking loved Brink. The wall running was a good time and when I played with friends I had a blast.

Really bad game though!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Karozdurandal4532MagellPreacher
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Brink was so bad though. Like really bad.

I think saying really bad is obscuring things.

There was a bunch of stuff it did amazingly. A lot of its core systems were very very clever. The movement system, knockdowns, the guns and grenades were all genuinely great

A lot of the systems that supported that, like the leveling, the decision to only do male characters, the bots, the fact that you couldn't swap character mid match, and the very obvious lack of QA were awful.

It's one of the games where I'm convinced that 90% of their testing or more happened in a team environment where everyone was on voice chat, working together. The game was very obviously balanced for that sort of approach.

The game was absolutely not balanced for how most people would be playing it (pick up and play groups in servers), and that lead to stuff like the pin people in their spawn and other crap.

Also the blatant lack of testing on hardware leading to a ton of day 1 issues.

I remain very curious how much was on Splash Damage and how much was on Bethesda as their publisher - Bethesda is not exactly known for well QA Tested games.

I'd still really like to see someone try again with that movement system though, it felt incredible to play

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Karozdurandal4532ShadowfirePeewiVeagleDoodmann
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I'm not sure if it's because I'm playing on nightmare, but MAN did they add in a bunch of new behaviors for enemies. The little converted humans will jump dodge, the enforcers will move while shooting, and the beserkers will leap across rooms and delivery ground slams making them an actual threat at mid-distances. This ain't your daddy's Quake II.

Ugh, I just realized Quake II is old enough to rent a car so your dad's Quake II could literally be Quake II.

How often did you see the jump dodge? I’m playing on easy and haven’t seen it yet, hopefully they didn’t hide all the new behaviours in nightmare, cos ain’t no way I’m playing nightmare

Also the compass is a freaking godsend

I love quake 2s enemy designs, the gunner and his opening flower gun, the iron maiden. It’s all so sick no wonder baby prohass has fond memories of it. Also the enforcers always reminded me of Michael Chiklis

lj5mzltaej10.gif

Also before physics became a thing this and Turok I felt had the best enemy reactions to being killed. Like a good variety, getting knocked down then standing back up, them shooting while prone or dying, different animations for common enemies, I remember being blown away by that at the time

Prohass on
    Crippl3Happy Little Machine
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Splash Damage's legacy with Brink is funny. It's like a goat. They've done fine work before and since, but you make one goddamn Brink...

FencingsaxKarozCrippl3
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Not sure exactly how Overwatch 2 heroes work but there's a Gamepass perk available for 6 (all?) heroes. I think one of them is the new support that just released

Prohass wrote: »

How often did you see the jump dodge? I’m playing on easy and haven’t seen it yet, hopefully they didn’t hide all the new behaviours in nightmare, cos ain’t no way I’m playing nightmare

Also the compass is a freaking godsend

I love quake 2s enemy designs, the gunner and his opening flower gun, the iron maiden. It’s all so sick no wonder baby prohass has fond memories of it. Also the enforcers always reminded me of Michael Chiklis

lj5mzltaej10.gif

Also before physics became a thing this and Turok I felt had the best enemy reactions to being killed. Like a good variety, getting knocked down then standing back up, them shooting while prone or dying, different animations for common enemies, I remember being blown away by that at the time

Not a whole lot, especially once you can cut through them like they aren't even there. I have noticed a lot of enemys will try to sidestep incoming missiles, I've wasted hyperblaster ammo becuase a character just zipped out of my crosshairs at the last second. It's like anti-autoaim! :)

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Even if I think Half Life was (in retrospect and bearing in mind I was 5 when it released) the single biggest moment in FPS history after the release of DOOM itself, Quake and Quake 2 are each huge moments for getting from Doom to the proliferation of FPS mechanics we now take for granted

I think it's easier to go back to HL1 than most other shooters or action games in general from its era but Quake 2 is one of the oldest that holds up in my experience

Duke 2.0
    It’s wild to me that our entire modern control scheme for console game movement began with the Alien Resurrection game, and the reviewers at the time specifically called out the control scheme as being horrendous and weird

OlivawHappy Little MachineJohnny Chopsocky
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Good god, we found the one person that cares about the Strogg.

The fucking Strogg.

You're damn right I do.

Fucking loved the campaign.

I liked Quake 4's campaign as well

KarozHappy Little Machine
    It’s weird at the end of quake 2 when the strogg have like a palace with weirdly nazi-like banners and iconography. Doesn’t quite mesh with the cyborg Skynet vibe of the first half

Counterpoint.

Nazis and anything Nazi-esque is automatically cool to shoot with a rocket launcher.

Crippl3KarozDuke 2.0ElvenshaeOlivawHappy Little Machine
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The only positive thing I can say about Quake 2 is that it has a banger of a soundtrack, it's the second worst Quake game. It's not even bad worst, it's just boring worst, which is arguably more of a sin.

• PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    Weird that Nightdive worked on this but they don't get their little splash screen in the beginning.

Their logo is mixed in with all the others on the splash screen.

I am in favor of not having five different animated logos on startup.

SporkAndrewKristmas KthulhuTofystedeth3cl1ps3Elvenshae
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Splash Damage's legacy with Brink is funny. It's like a goat. They've done fine work before and since, but you make one goddamn Brink...

I mean, it was a hot fucking mess and it exposed some serious issues in how they approach game design. I like the game a whole lot, but a lot of hte decisions in the game were incredibly dumb. The character leveling system was atrocious, just for instance - respecs knocked you back a level, and you had to be 20 to get the final tier of skills. Also you'd only ever get enough points to support one or two classes... in a class based game where there were 4 separate classes, and no way to switch between characters. The bot AI was legendarily terrible because it could not handle the objective based play - If you went for a main objective, the bots would assume you had it and run off to get the side objectives.

The map design was a particular pain point, because it was very clearly designed to work for a pair of teams who were working together on voice, smoothyl. Which i suspect in an office environment where they did a lot of their testing, they were! But in public? There was a reason i played Operative most often and topped the scoreboard regularly because I was constantly ambushing people and then interrogating them to give my whole team always on perfect radar (A huge, huge boon).

The core systems, the clever light/medium/heavy systems with body type determining your mobility, but also how tanky you were and what weapons you could bring (People didnt often play heavies, but they were devastating when played well). It has by far by favorite implmention of turrets (so much better than TF2's crapshows). Grenades were genuinely great, being a crowd control option. Hell the whole knockdown system was fantastic and the options it provided really opened the game up.

But those good bits did not overcome the tech issues, the feelsbad of "Get trapped in your spawn and killed by the defenders until the match ends" and other stuff, or the very public self owns on "We could do female characters or make more options for guys, so we chose guys!", or any of the other really bad decisions. The paid map dlc with extra levels that was free for early adopters was just the final nail in the coffin of a game already on shaky ground (Which was a shame, because the maps in it were fun as hell - good memories of the tower map!)

Much like Super Monday Night Combat and Uber Ent, i'm really not surprised teh game folded and has tained Splash Damage's rep ever since.

On the other hand, the recent and excellent Gears Tactics was by Splash Damage - it still had some odd choices (like frankly, it would have been better off not trying to be x-com and just having all your playable gears be named and voiced characters, covering all the classes), but as an iteration on the X-COM forumula it was fantastic and did a lot of really good things.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    KarozShadowfirePreacher
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I'm a few musical numbers into Stray Gods. I'm not normally into musicals but I really like the presentation and performances so far.

I did the first number where you have full control over the path you want the song to take and it held up pretty well as I bounced between tone all things considered, but I may stick to one style and see if I prefer that.

PaperLuigi44 on
    KarozShadowfiredurandal4532FencingsaxLokarn
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Huh, I might have to look more into Stray Gods. Art style was lovely but didn't pay much more attention than that.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am extremely curious about Stray Gods but the koshwallet is a withered husk for the next month or so.

rRwz9.gif
    Magic PinkShadowfireKarozTofystedethshoeboxjeddyMaddocCrippl3ElvenshaeOlivawOldSlackerSageinaRage
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    5zLeNWeh.jpg

not surprising, I guess

Brolo on
    KarozGlalOdinMortal SkyshoeboxjeddyMagic PinkZonugal3cl1ps3Kristmas KthulhuDarkPrimussarukunDoodmannPaperLuigi44Undead ScottsmanCelloDuke 2.0ElvenshaeOlivawCorp.ShephardHappy Little MachineFencingsaxIolonever dieDee Kae
    I'm always hesitant to just jump into a sequel, I'll play it after the original, I bet that one's nice and cheap now.

SageinaRage
    Brolo wrote: »
    5zLeNWeh.jpg

not surprising, I guess

lol

lmao even

Mortal SkyKarozsarukunElvenshaeOlivawJacobkoshHappy Little MachineFencingsax
    The whole Overwatch thing has been astounding to me for years, even before 2 came out

It's like Blizzard's never once understood what made the launch version of that game appealing, and has made every possible step to un-make that game, while also creating new rakes to step on in the process

DisruptedCapitalistTheySlashThemBloodsheedShadowfireZonugalmatthias003cl1ps3BahamutZERODarkPrimusKarozsarukunThe JudgeDoodmannMunkus BeaverKnight_PaperLuigi44Undead ScottsmanCelloDuke 2.0OlivawNeveronMegaMan001Happy Little MachineOptyFencingsaxLokarnLucedes
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    The whole Overwatch thing has been astounding to me for years, even before 2 came out

It's like Blizzard's never once understood what made the launch version of that game appealing, and has made every possible step to un-make that game, while also creating new rakes to step on in the process

Almost like Blizzard is an incredibly hostile and extremely toxic place to work at and all the talented people who haven't left yet are giving it their bare minimum because why bother giving more than that to a trash fire.

KarozsarukunElvenshae
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Balancing all the characters for the pro scene was a big misstep because 99% of your players aren't good enough to utilize the characters that way, and even the ones that are, probably don't have the team coordination that the pros do to make those characters shine either.

TheySlashThemMortal SkyShadowfireZonugal3cl1ps3KarozsarukunPreacherMunkus BeaverPaperLuigi44Duke 2.0OlivawNeveronHappy Little MachineWiseManTobesFencingsax
    When I still played MOBAs I always hated characters that were complete monsters in lower ranks, but were (so I was told) balanced in high rank games. Great, I guess at least high rank players get to have fun.

DisruptedCapitalistmatthias00KarozDuke 2.0ElvenshaeNeveron
    Magell wrote: »
    Balancing all the characters for the pro scene was a big misstep because 99% of your players aren't good enough to utilize the characters that way, and even the ones that are, probably don't have the team coordination that the pros do to make those characters shine either.

I like the approach that I've seen Apex and a few other games take -- balance for like, Platinum/Diamond-level ranked play, because that's about the 80th percentile for most games and so the benefits have perks in both directions

But then an individual Apex or R6: Siege character power tends to sway a fight way less than the average OW character power, so I get why tweaking OW is harder in many ways

Duke 2.0
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

We're searching for a ✨freelance Maya animator✨for @KaizenGameWorks
    new game!

🔹Maya only, we'll implement
    🔹PS2 quality characters and animations
    🔹Anime and manga vibes rather than western animation style

💌[email protected] or DM me.

Can't wait to hear from you!

CelloElvenshae
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Paradise Killer was cool. I'm interested to see what they come up with next.

Poorochondriacdurandal4532PaperLuigi44CelloShadowfire
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I am extremely curious about Stray Gods but the koshwallet is a withered husk for the next month or so.

I think they have a special cream for that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    JacobkoshIolo
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Stray Gods? Sure, if you're a casual.
    Let's talk about the REAL hard stuff.

MagellShadowfireElvenshae
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    note that despite the high negative reviews, overwatch 2 is already 7th globally by steam revenue

capitalism baybee

I needed anime to post. on
    TheySlashThem3cl1ps3DisruptedCapitalistDuke 2.0KarozShadowfireOlivawTynnanHappy Little Machinesarukun
    note that despite the high negative reviews, overwatch 2 is already 7th globally by steam revenue

capitalism baybee

there's still a small slice of folks I know who are still extremely all-in on Overwatch, especially folks who follow the Korean e-sports sphere

so I'm not surprised there are still OW whales out there

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean also internet review aggregates can be gamed super easily. Its not to say that overwatch 2 isn't a bad game or a blatant cash grab etc etc, but like pointing to the swelling ball of hate that is the internet doesn't say much.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    JayKaosCrippl3Karozdurandal4532KupicaptainkNeveronnever die
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I mean also internet review aggregates can be gamed super easily. Its not to say that overwatch 2 isn't a bad game or a blatant cash grab etc etc, but like pointing to the swelling ball of hate that is the internet doesn't say much.

Yeah, swollen balls don't mean much

JtgVX0H.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Wait

JtgVX0H.png
    PreacherElvenshaeTynnanMunkus BeaverKnight_Happy Little MachinesarukunTofystedethIolo
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    oh thank goodness, I was growing concerned regarding my enormous balls

Crippl3asofyeunBroloSageinaRage
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    capitalism baybee
    According to SteamDB, right now it has the lowest rating of all games on Steam:
    06vl9uvyl6nj.png

Kristmas KthulhuElvenshaeNeveron
This discussion has been closed.