Options

credit monitoring for a minor

DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear!Registered User regular
My health insurance recently fucked up and got all my family's personal data hacked. To make up for it they're offering free credit monitoring through some other agency for a year. I'm wondering if it's worth it to sign my kids up for credit monitoring. I'm often under the impression that a lot of scammers will use children's identity to open up fraudulent lines of credit, but I don't want to put all my kids personal data into another agency and expect them to responsibly take care of it.

What do you all think? Ignore it for the sake of my kids privacy and deal with any bad credit once they become an adult, or set them up with a credit monitoring service?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Freeze their credit at all 3 agencies. And then have them thaw it if they need their credit for anything. Most of the time you don’t really need to have your credit available for a hard pull. Unless you are getting a new place car or credit card. Then write down the pins in a book and keep it with your important shit (hopefully in a fire rated lock box). Credit monitoring is fine, but freezing your credit report is much more useful.

You too.

zepherin on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Good point, I had forgotten freezing was an option.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)