Options

[chat]asaki Versys

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    ah can you give us a summary of the whole timeline? What did you pay when, what did you get paid when, what did the logger do successfully, when did he first begin to fail, what are the duties of a logger and of a forester

sig.gif
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    The elders have returned. Raise the altars. Break the tablets. We must begin.
    Here's a better getting-blood-rained-on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woAcXSMyCEw

So Final Nights type of deal, yea?

deftones whole thing has been sex plus danger for about 30 years now. That song is in that vein for sure.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    How do trees make baby

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    ah can you give us a summary of the whole timeline? What did you pay when, what did you get paid when, what did the logger do successfully, when did he first begin to fail, what are the duties of a logger and of a forester

yes but not right now. remind me tomorrow?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    lol Summs my wife was a Maroon stan for years, went to the concerts before ticketmaster made them cost $250 instead of $50, etc.

I mean we still rock out to their bullshit white pop music daily. I don't care it's catchy.

still my absolute fave concert that I worked backstage for while in uni.

was technically a Vanessa Carlton concert (the super high, super rude lady with the light up piano keys who spewed curse words at a venue of young teenagers), but the opening act for her was Maroon5. Back when it was just the 5 guys, their manager,and their roadie.

We got them vegan chinese food from the city across the bridge, the bassist showed us how he tuned his guitar, the gave us free reign on their lights for the set (we had just gotten a brand new lighting system and hadn't fully test-driven it yet), and we hung out back and smoked cigarettes between rehearsals, soundcheck, and the show.

definitely highlight of my time working backstage.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    lol Summs my wife was a Maroon stan for years, went to the concerts before ticketmaster made them cost $250 instead of $50, etc.

I mean we still rock out to their bullshit white pop music daily. I don't care it's catchy.

I put some Taylor Swift on my riding playlist for the first time

Coincidentally we had a Taylor Swift themed birthday for my five year old yesterday

Physical by Dua Lipa also a bop

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I would buy so much more software if it offered a one time fee over subscriptions

We had this. For decades.

And you paid a one time fee that was usually more than the subscription is today, then you bought an upgrade fee once every year or two to get newer versions.

Sure, you could stop at any time and keep using your version until the OS no longer supported the version you have…

I dunno. I’m not mad at subscriptions when developers actually use those funds to keep giving me new shit all the time. It’s not a bad model.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Wait hold on, 5e druids don't get animal companions?

What are you even doing WOTC?

That's like deciding Paladins shouldn't have lay on hands anymore.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Picture of me going fishing:

gcjrh4q8qt08.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Morning chat.

called out of work today for a headache.

realised it's almost exactly a month after the last time i called out for a headache.

checked my menstrual tracking app. huh. i seem to get a bad headache every month on the last day of my bleeding.

hmm.

maybe i should take some iron or something.

• Options
    Wait Vanessa Carlton is a monster???

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tumin wrote: »

Yeah she was in S2 of The Witcher

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I would buy so much more software if it offered a one time fee over subscriptions

And you paid a one time fee that was usually more than the subscription is today, then you bought an upgrade fee once every year or two to get newer versions.

Sure, you could stop at any time and keep using your version until the OS no longer supported the version you have…

I dunno. I’m not mad at subscriptions when developers actually use those funds to keep giving me new shit all the time. It’s not a bad model.

hahahahaahaahha that's hilarious, sure we did. That's what happened, we paid for it!

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Morning chat.

called out of work today for a headache.

realised it's almost exactly a month after the last time i called out for a headache.

checked my menstrual tracking app. huh. i seem to get a bad headache every month on the last day of my bleeding.

hmm.

maybe i should take some iron or something.

RAW STEAK

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    spool32 wrote: »

hahahahaahaahha that's hilarious, sure we did. That's what happened, we paid for it!

I mean, the high seas remain a thing for lots of this.

Though I guess if the answer was to just steal software that didn’t have a subscription / online component… this was a mess of our own making?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Picture of me going fishing:

gcjrh4q8qt08.jpg

You have very long legs

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    There's no water in that picture.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    People don’t mind a subscription, they mind when everything is a a subscription and all of a sudden there’s like a hundo coming out of your bank account over the course of a month for different things

it’s even worse when these apps don’t appear in your Apple subscription list so you’re only reminded of them when they take money out

just another way people feel increasingly squeezed for every single penny

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

I mean, the high seas remain a thing for lots of this.

Though I guess if the answer was to just steal software that didn’t have a subscription / online component… this was a mess of our own making?

No, your whole way of looking at this is wrong. The answer is and has always been regulation. Piracy didn't lead to the subscription model and the subscription model doesn't save people money compared to an ordinary purchase price, with some possible exceptions related to VMs vs data centers

sig.gif
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I’m so fucking sweaty.

I might pull the trigger on HVAC. 11.5k which is reasonable for the area. It’s just. A lot of money. So I’ll have to finance it. And I’m not happy about it.

• Options
    People don’t mind a subscription, they mind when everything is a a subscription and all of a sudden there’s like a hundo coming out of your bank account over the course of a month for different things

it’s even worse when these apps don’t appear in your Apple subscription list so you’re only reminded of them when they take money out

Similarly the number of places that try to get me to make an account with their company is absurd

sig.gif
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    I’m so fucking sweaty.

I might pull the trigger on HVAC. 11.5k which is reasonable for the area. It’s just. A lot of money. So I’ll have to finance it. And I’m not happy about it.

I super recommend a heat pump if it makes sense for your situation! I love mine and I've mostly stopped resenting all the research i did

sig.gif
  • Options

How do you feel about subscriptions where you don’t get new shit all the time? Or ever? And the up front cost is still a large percentage of the old one-time cost?

Like it’s a good business model, but it practice it ends up being another way to extract more money for the same function. Like ads.

• Options

maybe not a monster as a whole

but she was an absolute nightmare to work with on that one show.

high and drunk, she stayed in the bus the entire time. came out for soundcheck, ignored all of us crew. did soundcheck for 5 minutes, went back to the bus.
    Her piano had to be angled on the stage *just so* the audience couldn't see the keys she was meant to hit light up for her
    She sang 2 songs and then yelled at the audience because 'i'm not used to performing to people in chairs. stand teh fuck up and fucking dance'. the audience is mostly 13 year old girls.

Just an all over terrible experience to work with. Compared with the guys from Maroon5, Sum41, Saliva (one of the singers' wife had just become a dad and they baby was on tour with them and they were absolutely gushing over this infant while we were doing setup), and even Jose Feliciano (fuck that was a good concert).

• Options

THIS

The fact we have sponsored services on podcasts now where you pay someone to tell you how many subscriptions you have so you can figure out what to get rid of is proof there's a problem.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Yellowknife is declaring a state of emergency.

The nearest fire has breached the firebreaks and is moving east (towards the city).

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

The nearest fire has breeched the firebreaks and is moving east (towards the city).

Shit are you having to evacuate?

• Options

The nearest fire has breeched the firebreaks and is moving east (towards the city).

❤️

sig.gif
  • Options
    stand up and fucking dance is gonna be my new catchphrase i think

• Options

THIS

The fact we have sponsored services on podcasts now where you pay someone to tell you how many subscriptions you have so you can figure out what to get rid of is proof there's a problem.

Fuck! I forgot to cancel ABC Mouse again!

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

The nearest fire has breached the firebreaks and is moving east (towards the city).

Fuuuck

Stay safe dude

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

There's not going to be one. The only highway out is closed, and even if it wasn't, how do you move 20,000 people? Where do they go?

If the fire actually gets that close, we'll shelter in place. What else can we do?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I mean, I feel like what Synd is saying isn't wrong it's just that we're maybe talking about 2 different tiers of softwares.

Lots of stuff that is like... barely above app level... should not be sold in a SaaS model.

Like AutoCAD or whatever is fine yeah I'll pay a yearly subscription and always have the latest/greatest because otherwise you're going to have to fuck around with hardware dongles and all this other shit or submit to weird audits and the like.

In my advanced years I've found it gratifying to finally pay for some of the freeware I've been using forever as well.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

There's not going to be one. The only highway out is closed, and even if it wasn't, how do you move 20,000 people? Where do they go?

If the fire actually gets that close, we'll shelter in place. What else can we do?

Get in the water?

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    also some services behave in a scummy way

like my audible didn’t renew when I cancelled my prime but when I resubbed to prime, it reactivated itself as if it was a package deal

• Options
    edited August 2023
    There are multiple fires to the south, and most communities south of us are evacuated.
    Get in the water?

Realistically? No, 20,000 people can't tread water in a lake while a fire burns around them for hours or days.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I’m so fucking sweaty.

I super recommend a heat pump if it makes sense for your situation! I love mine and I've mostly stopped resenting all the research i did
    I already have a central ac unit and gas furnace. To convert to a heat pump is more expensive and doesn’t cool enough for my area. It’s just the ac is broken.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    How do trees make baby

mostly spray and pray, only with pollen

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Everyone at work (my boss) wants me to use jira for my plans and task lists and it's so awful I think I might die if I tried.

I will only use jira for this shit when forced and cornered in a planning meeting.

https://github.com/go-jira/jira

Makes it slightly more bearable by just letting you use a CLI to list/get to issues.

Also lets you do things like just script creating whatever bucket of insanity someone wants organized.

• Options
    YK.png?resize=960%2C619&ssl=1

This discussion has been closed.