Options

[Baldur's Gate 3] Four Halfing Barbarians Walk Into A Tavern...

19495969798100»

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Starting to get rather frustrated in act 3 with line of sight stuff. Karlach can't seem to throw anywhere without some invisible blockage in the way.
    bzkc8n8przy6.png
    nb9bcmvpg2pb.png

Jumping has been wonky too. The icon will light up as if the jump is allowed, but sometimes the character starts the jump animation and just jumps in place instead of landing where the cursor was, still uses up the bonus action.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to level up Wyll and I'll just have to bring him instead if it's a house or small building. Even when I got rid of the path blocking, the spear still hit the ceiling and fell to the ground. I wonder if there is a mod that could update throwing to act like a bow/crossbow?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 27
    Given how janky DnD 5e translated, with Larian doing objectively a great job translating it, I’d just stay away from any tabletop systems in the future.

I’d rather they use this experience to do something original gameplay wise, that flows better from a video game perspective. I’d love for them to branch out and do something sci-fi or cyberpunk, but they love fantasy it seems.

Honestly ,most of the jank in BG3 is inherent to DnD5E.

For those of us who have long argued BG3 was great in spite of DnD5E, not because of it, I was feeling extremely justified after seeing this IGN interview with Swen about the game where he outright states:
    There were a lot of constraints in making D&D, and the 5th Edition is not an easy system to put into a video game, and we had all these ideas of new combat that we wanted to try out, and so they were not compatible. You could see the team was doing it because everybody felt like we had to do it, but it wasn't really coming from the heart and we're very much a studio all about being from the heart.

I love the game, but having tried to beat DnD 5E into something more interesting for years myself, it was nice seeing straight out "This ruleset doesn't do what we needed to do". This one sentence sums up four years of frustration in running 3-7 store games a week perfectly. It doesn't do what you need it to do if you have to have any constraint like "Needs to obey the core rules".

Edit: This whole interview is incredible and so worth reading. He's clearly in a position where he doesn't have to give any fucks what people think and he is saying what he wants to say.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm weird, but I felt BG3 got way better in early access every time they ditched Divinity mechanics and made it closer to 5E

Though I agree 5E isn't really made for videogames

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    Maybe I'm weird, but I felt BG3 got way better in early access every time they ditched Divinity mechanics and made it closer to 5E

I dunno if it’s because of 5e but I do vastly prefer the BG3 system to their previous ones.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

5E simplified some of the systems that didn't quite flow in Divinity. The Armor/Magic resistance shredding was a pain in D:OS2 past the point where enemies would burn resources to destroy yours in a way you couldn't afford to do in return and fights usually ended up in a mess of burning oil, poison gas, and other damage fields. At the same time, 5E has its own issues obviously. I could see Larian learning a lot from being forced to streamline some systems but also seeing the ways 5E can be clunky or broken.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 28
    CrazyP wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Right, so I'm over 40 hours in now and I've only just realised I can dye my clothes.
    I previously had a cool Pole Arm weapon for Karlach though and I can't for the life of me figure out where the hell I bought it from. Not that I'm wed to that weapon but she definitely needs an upgrade.
    Do not know which one you mean, but like 99% sure you speak about halberd you can buy from bugbear
    Inside Moonrise Towers, near entrance

Karlach has her Halberd back and she thanks you. I also picked up a snazzy shield for Gale with boosts to initiative. The dude always seems to go last.

I also stumbled across something fairly important in moonlight tower which I missed last time, though I have ended up with a dislocated arm as a result...

Boring pc question, my cpu is now a fairly archaic i7-6700.

I'm debating a motherboard and cpu update to an AMD 5700X

I'm currently running a 3060ti, 16gb ram (no plans to upgrade that unless necessary)

Am I likely to get better performance? Currently I'm dropping frames a lot in populated areas and I can only think that'll get much worse come Act 3.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options

5E simplified some of the systems that didn't quite flow in Divinity. The Armor/Magic resistance shredding was a pain in D:OS2 past the point where enemies would burn resources to destroy yours in a way you couldn't afford to do in return and fights usually ended up in a mess of burning oil, poison gas, and other damage fields. At the same time, 5E has its own issues obviously. I could see Larian learning a lot from being forced to streamline some systems but also seeing the ways 5E can be clunky or broken.

Yeah I think both things can be true. That Larian, by using DnD, helped them become a better game developer and DnD 5e is a terrible system to use for a video game.

I'm hard pressed to find anything in DOS2 that I liked more, BG3 is just a much more polished game all around. The issue is that dice rolling in a video game is a terrible idea. I literally quick save every 2 minutes, because you never know when my +5 maxed out perception will fail because I rolled a 3 and the check is 10+.

In a perfect world, someone like Larian could license the DnD world without having to use 5e system. But I can't ever see Hasbro allowing that.

• Options
    This is the best ever. Act 3 Circus:
    I was just able to get a "greek" nude statue of my Bard Tav, which is so amazingly in character. It even gives me bless for the day lol.

• Options
    CrazyPCrazyP Registered User regular

Yeah I think both things can be true. That Larian, by using DnD, helped them become a better game developer and DnD 5e is a terrible system to use for a video game.

I'm hard pressed to find anything in DOS2 that I liked more, BG3 is just a much more polished game all around. The issue is that dice rolling in a video game is a terrible idea. I literally quick save every 2 minutes, because you never know when my +5 maxed out perception will fail because I rolled a 3 and the check is 10+.

In a perfect world, someone like Larian could license the DnD world without having to use 5e system. But I can't ever see Hasbro allowing that.

Eh, I do like D&D 3E and Pathfinder, but find 5E a worthy successor. As good as it was, streamlining things and cutting of a lot of bloat was good for long term development. This is how you iterate game design: start simple, expand and grow it, then trim it down when it gets overcomlicated or too bloated for innovation, rinse and repeat.

Dice rolls for everything instead of clear cut ability thresholds is not good design for CRPG, but I learned to roll with it. But Karmic Dice still stays off. Keeps things fresh for replays, I suppose - you cant just pre-plan your development to guarantee every interaction go as you planned. Now, I would definitely hate it, if every new RPG went that way, but as unique flavor of just BG3 - fine.

Now are there time sensitive quests in ACT 3?
    Because I was in no uncertain terms told by multiple NPC that I must attend Gortash coronation today. Which sounds like Boss fight. But I have this murder investigation plot leading me to new area right past coronation site. Not enough of clown pieces are found, no diabolists to help with travel to Hell in sight, did not see, need to backtrack to kill some vampire *and* I did not see this Gortash golem factory. Shouldn't it be visited first before confronting him?

Родина вернись домой
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Eh, I do like D&D 3E and Pathfinder, but find 5E a worthy successor. As good as it was, streamlining things and cutting of a lot of bloat was good for long term development. This is how you iterate game design: start simple, expand and grow it, then trim it down when it gets overcomlicated or too bloated for innovation, rinse and repeat.

Dice rolls for everything instead of clear cut ability thresholds is not good design for CRPG, but I learned to roll with it. But Karmic Dice still stays off. Keeps things fresh for replays, I suppose - you cant just pre-plan your development to guarantee every interaction go as you planned. Now, I would definitely hate it, if every new RPG went that way, but as unique flavor of just BG3 - fine.

Because I was in no uncertain terms told by multiple NPC that I must attend Gortash coronation today. Which sounds like Boss fight. But I have this murder investigation plot leading me to new area right past coronation site. Not enough of clown pieces are found, no diabolists to help with travel to Hell in sight, did not see, need to backtrack to kill some vampire *and* I did not see this Gortash golem factory. Shouldn't it be visited first before confronting him?

Yes. But for the one I know of, the trigger is after what you're putting off.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

I’m not sure in current patch, but skipping that event was a source of lots of bugs and issues in previous builds

• Options

It’s not a boss fight unless maybe you can force one? There is one time sensitive quest that i know of that’s triggered by a poster.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    You can force it if you're itching for it, but look around...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    So let me tell you how I set a speed run record in honor mode.

First I find Gale and Astarion, and we found something I missed previously, a group of grave robbers arguing over trying to get into a crypt or looting the nautiloid. Persuasion check to send them packing.

Gale: "Wouldn't take much to bring that big rock down."
    Me: No, no it wouldn't. Crossbow out and... Your party has been defeated.

Yeah I guess I'm supposed to go up the stairs *before* I drop the rock?

• Options
    Act 3
    Excuse me?! Here you have Bane worshiper, who was mastermind behind the turning Elder Brain into even bigger monstrosity through use of Artifact of Doom stolen from Archidevil, creating massive murder cult experimenting with mind control and unleashing massive army out to plunder and destroy, to say nothing of his personal deal with the devil, selling out person who trusted him to Hell. All for the sake of his ambition of becoming dictator.

Why is there Paladin option to ally with him? What kind of Paladin would ever do this?? Like I was heavily deliberating should I attack right now, but decided against this - too much risk of bystanders dying and 100% doing this I will have to kill Wyll father, not giving up on saving him!
    utgp2z20twd5.jpg

Родина вернись домой
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Act 3
    Excuse me?! Here you have Bane worshiper, who was mastermind behind the turning Elder Brain into even bigger monstrosity through use of Artifact of Doom stolen from Archidevil, creating massive murder cult experimenting with mind control and unleashing massive army out to plunder and destroy, to say nothing of his personal deal with the devil, selling out person who trusted him to Hell. All for the sake of his ambition of becoming dictator.

Why is there Paladin option to ally with him? What kind of Paladin would ever do this?? Like I was heavily deliberating should I attack right now, but decided against this - too much risk of bystanders dying and 100% doing this I will have to kill Wyll father, not giving up on saving him!
    utgp2z20twd5.jpg
    presumably, that makes you an oathbreaker Paladin

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Act 3

utgp2z20twd5.jpg
    presumably, that makes you an oathbreaker Paladin
    Looking at the wiki, it will break your oath on all three paladin types. Seems like a narrative opportunity to become an oathbreaker.

• Options
    Act 3 Murder Investigation
    OK, this annoyed me so much. Found next target at wine festival, thought to join her in wine tasting and sus out suspect. I am fine that it got her killed - chose wrongly, will save her on next playthrough. BUT! Killer use Boots of Dimensional Door - I counterspell, he does it again. No haste effect on him or anything, he just does 2 actions. Actually checked wiki - once per long rest use item, taking action. Decided to test how deep this rabbit hole goes: reloaded and brought Wyll, so no he casts - I counterspell - he casts second time - I counterspell again - he casts a spell from one per rest item a third time and escapes.

If you wanted to do your precious cutscene there then just do it, do not try doing it through gameplay making me think I can influence outcome.

Also got weird interaction
    Broke Wyll pact (damn it, still not giving up on searching for his father) - everyone giving solemn comments, the Karlach is uper happy - Hey lets go on date :D I almost wanted to tell "Girl, read the room", but game being game. /adding to weirdness after the date she (and only she) talked as if though Wyll sold his soul for sake of his father - strange bug.

Родина вернись домой
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Interactions get queued up, she had to get the date out of the way to process the next thing in q. This is where a lot of companion bugs came from early after release before patches, the q only held so much and you could lose out on stuff (i.e. Karlach romance) if you queued up too many without resolving them (via long rest).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think I'm starting to burn out. I'm probably at 150 hours or so and I'm pretty close to level 12. I've sidelined Lae'zel and Astarion's quests as much as I can.

Act 3 companions/quests
    I weirdly don't care at all about Minsc or Jaheira. The counting house stuff sound dreadful. I think I might be done with the murder plot as well. I think I'll just focus on the steel watchers quest and hope it's enough to then move forward with the main story.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I'm probably at 150 hours or so

So... just getting started then? ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I'm probably at 150 hours or so

So... just getting started then? ;)

lol. The highest praise I think I can give BG3 is that normally if a single player narrative driven game gets to 80-100 hours, I just fully check out. 50-60 hours is usually where I feel like I had a good time still. But it's taken over 150 hours for me to start to get there with BG3 and I'm I'm not quite at the "bum rush to the end" or just quit.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    TBH, a lot of act three stuff just feels pointless because you'll hit the level cap and have probably broke the game over your knee by that point. Dirk Gently by act III was clearing most of the enemies out of an encounter on turn 1, so it was the case that I just rushed to the end to get it done. I don't feel bad about doing that whatsoever.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    TBH, a lot of act three stuff just feels pointless because you'll hit the level cap and have probably broke the game over your knee by that point. Dirk Gently by act III was clearing most of the enemies out of an encounter on turn 1, so it was the case that I just rushed to the end to get it done. I don't feel bad about doing that whatsoever.

They apparently cut a huge chunk of act 3 which is also why some character endings kinda suck

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

They apparently cut a huge chunk of act 3 which is also why some character endings kinda suck

I think this is why I was genuinely kind of sad to hear that they're not working on DLC - I was hoping for some of that stuff to get fleshed out a bit more through an expansion. It's a hell of a lot better than it was at launch, but act 3 still feels like an incomplete rush job to me.

Larian are obviously free to work on what they want, just feels like a shame.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited April 2
    -

Trajan45 on
This discussion has been closed.