Options

[Baldur's Gate 3] Four Halfing Barbarians Walk Into A Tavern...

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    This early act 2 Isabel/Marcus encounter is kind of bullshit.

First time, I had bad initiative rolls and thought it was a pre-scripted event. But I had my suspicions, googled to verify it was just bad luck, and then reloaded. I think I didn't take a scratch to anything but temporary hit points the second time around.

The enemy being able to immediately flee if the target is downed really throws off the balance of the encounter. But on the other hand, so did Spirit Guardians set to radiant damage on a cleric parked next to the target.
    Maybe I'd be in less of a hurry, more amenable to exploring, if every other npc wasn't (correctly) treating me and my tadpole like a walking time bomb.

There's logs and dialogue talking about how you seem to be safe from going full cephalopod head and then a cutscene explicitly spelling out that you don't have to worry about that happening but I don't know what the triggers are for that one. But you definitely do have your party members in a hurry early on.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I feel like I needed a water bottle to spray at Astarion.

Had to turn him down three times before he finally got the message.

"No! Bad horny vampire!"

Yeah but I'll be honest, his persistence makes me wanna give it a shot. He really wants me - but I'm shooting for Lae'zel on the new playthrough.

what really cracked me up was in (act 2)
    You meet the lady who is like rank 13 vampire fangirl horny to get a vampire to suck her blood and Astarion is like "Um, this is the first time I've ever been grossed out, hard pass"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

That took me like 3 tries.

I also tried it three times and the difficulty of the fight was wildly different every time. First time it went sort of ok but I messed it up (why can't Gale not hit the NPC we are protecting, dammit?), second time I instantly lost it because of enemies getting super lucky and being very aggressive. And then the third time the whole fight was completely trivial as most of the adds kept on attacking other targets and I murdered the main enemy quickly.

So if somebody says a fight X is hard or easy it might just be luck of the draw, especially in a messy complicated big fight like that.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2023

First time, I had bad initiative rolls and thought it was a pre-scripted event. But I had my suspicions, googled to verify it was just bad luck, and then reloaded. I think I didn't take a scratch to anything but temporary hit points the second time around.

The enemy being able to immediately flee if the target is downed really throws off the balance of the encounter. But on the other hand, so did Spirit Guardians set to radiant damage on a cleric parked next to the target.
    Maybe I'd be in less of a hurry, more amenable to exploring, if every other npc wasn't (correctly) treating me and my tadpole like a walking time bomb.

There's logs and dialogue talking about how you seem to be safe from going full cephalopod head and then a cutscene explicitly spelling out that you don't have to worry about that happening but I don't know what the triggers are for that one. But you definitely do have your party members in a hurry early on.

That one weapon (late act 1 spoiler)
    7lab2508ylp7.pngfyr29j21ja3u.png
    made that fight very easy.
    6d8 radiant damage makes short work of Marcus, lol

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

"No! Bad horny vampire!"

Yeah but I'll be honest, his persistence makes me wanna give it a shot. He really wants me - but I'm shooting for Lae'zel on the new playthrough.

You meet the lady who is like rank 13 vampire fangirl horny to get a vampire to suck her blood and Astarion is like "Um, this is the first time I've ever been grossed out, hard pass"

That's like the ONE TIME in the entire game that I really wanna' do something for the reward and REALLY don't want to for RP purposes.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I feel bad for people who don't have that weapon. And based on achievement rates there's a lot of them in Act 2 or beyond.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Having darkvision is probably nice, but damn do you look badass exploring a cave with a sword in one hand and a torch in the other

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Having darkvision is probably nice, but damn do you look badass exploring a cave with a sword in one hand and a torch in the other

A really nice touch with Darkvision in BG3 is that it is actually a cone of vision. Anything outside a character's peripheral vision is still dark.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    All right I'm in act 1
    hunting some goblins and the githyanki creche.

I'm thinking that's pretty early on, but spoilers just in case.

Anyway, the game is cool and seems like they've maybe refined some of the things I didn't like about DOS2. I do feel like the game kind of obscures information in odd ways. The spell descriptions seem incomplete, and it's not always obvious how spells will impact different surfaces or environments. I remember feeling that way in DOS2. But I'm pretty familiar with 5e and there is this very weird knowledge between 5e and Larian's game rules. Maybe there's a way to expand descriptions, or a glossary I haven't found yet?

I'm also playing the game on the higher difficulty, which I don't usually do for tactical-type games. So far, I've been doing ok. I spend a decent of time thinking through turns and looking for ways to mess with environments and take enemies out of combat while I focus one to death. I've been running with this party at level 3:

Dragonborn Paladin (me) (oath of vengeance)
    Shadowheart
    La'zael (battlemaster)
    Gale (abjurer)

This has been working because I've got a nice cross-section of environmental effects, debuffs, and the ability to give the party advantage in a lot of ways (which is one of the most powerful things you can do in 5e).

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

mage tower spoiler
    for the arcane turrets, you can switch to turn-based mode while out of range, run up and throw the flowers to then avoid taking any turret damage

EDIT whoops saw that was already mentioned!
    also
    there's a Mundane Chest that has a magic property of reducing item weight of whatever you put in, handy for inventory space! it weighs 40 by itself though.

also the magic giant stool can be broken, and you can then loot a magical giant's club!

Oh damn that is good i may have to go back(i missed those and gold is heavy)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Mirkel wrote: »
    I feel bad for people who don't have that weapon. And based on achievement rates there's a lot of them in Act 2 or beyond.

That is an act 2 weapon. You can entirely miss it before Marcus for entirely reasonable reasons
    if you take the shortcut and don't go to the mountain pass first you're almost guaranteed to hit marcus before you get it

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HyperSplattHyperSplatt Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    How is there not an achievement for (Act 3 Lower City exploration spoiler)
    graverobbing motherfuckin' GORION?

HyperSplatt on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

You get warning that you should wrap up other quests when you try to go into the Mountain Pass. That's going to make a lot of people turn around and explore the other major route which does not give that warning for two more maps. That will affect the route a great many people take.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    "I am a contemptible blood pervert"

10/10 dialog choice with the sad pouty orc face.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    In universe it's funny though to imagine your guy telling the party hell yeah gang, we made it through the Underdark. Now let's head back to cross the mountains.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    In my solo run, I'm playing a Thief Rogue. I'm considering multiclassing to ranger and trying a dual hand xbow build. What level spread is good for that multiclass? Is it better to have more rogue or more ranger?

And then I need to decide what ranger sub to take. Hunter would be good with Colossus Slayer as that can proc every turn rather than Gloomstalker only getting the extra attack once per fight. However, I'm also a human, so Gloomstalker can give me Darkvision which is pretty great, too.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    No no it's four halfling barbarians, one cup

• Options
    Zomro wrote: »
    In my solo run, I'm playing a Thief Rogue. I'm considering multiclassing to ranger and trying a dual hand xbow build. What level spread is good for that multiclass? Is it better to have more rogue or more ranger?

And then I need to decide what ranger sub to take. Hunter would be good with Colossus Slayer as that can proc every turn rather than Gloomstalker only getting the extra attack once per fight. However, I'm also a human, so Gloomstalker can give me Darkvision which is pretty great, too.

Gloomstalker. Colossus Slayer gives you 1d8 once per round. This is +4.5 dmg/rnd Gloomstalker gives you 1 attack for 1d6+stat+1d8. This is +12 dmg. So it takes 3 full rounds for colossus slayer to catch up IF the gloomstalker doesn't have sharpshooter.

And Gloomstalker also gets +3 init. And 12 damage now is better than higher damage in round 3.

*assuming 18 stat

Other than that... aside from that it depends on if you want damage or versatility. 9 or 7 gets you level 2 spells(spike growth!) and extra resistances/skill proficiency. But each 2 levels loses you +3.5 dmg/round with extra sneak.

So you have for your options mainly

Ranger/Rogue

5/7 4d6 Sneak + 2 attacks + expertise + evasion
    7/5 3d6 sneak + 2 attacks + 2nd lvl spells + skill proficiency + resistance
    9/3 2d6 sneak + 2 attacks + 3rd lvl spells (which kinda suck but extra slots)- Uncanny dodge.

8/4 2d6 sneak + 2 attacks + 2nd lvl spells + skill proficiency + 1 feat.

I would say 5/7 or 8/4 is probably best depending on the feat you are going to pick up.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Fuck me, that's an install size and a half.

The first challenge of the game seems to be clearing a lot of disk space on the SSD.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    All right I'm in act 1
    hunting some goblins and the githyanki creche.

I'm thinking that's pretty early on, but spoilers just in case.

Anyway, the game is cool and seems like they've maybe refined some of the things I didn't like about DOS2. I do feel like the game kind of obscures information in odd ways. The spell descriptions seem incomplete, and it's not always obvious how spells will impact different surfaces or environments. I remember feeling that way in DOS2. But I'm pretty familiar with 5e and there is this very weird knowledge between 5e and Larian's game rules. Maybe there's a way to expand descriptions, or a glossary I haven't found yet?

I'm also playing the game on the higher difficulty, which I don't usually do for tactical-type games. So far, I've been doing ok. I spend a decent of time thinking through turns and looking for ways to mess with environments and take enemies out of combat while I focus one to death. I've been running with this party at level 3:

Dragonborn Paladin (me) (oath of vengeance)
    Shadowheart
    La'zael (battlemaster)
    Gale (abjurer)

This has been working because I've got a nice cross-section of environmental effects, debuffs, and the ability to give the party advantage in a lot of ways (which is one of the most powerful things you can do in 5e).

When mousing over descriptions of spells and abilities and stuff hit "T" to lock that window in place, I think expand it sometimes, and free up your mouse to mouse over keywords and such.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Early Act III A hard to get magic item and its stupid build potential
    In the circus, you probably met the asshole genie. Turns out he is cheating!
    But you can either steal his ring of mage hand, or you can buy it of him with the not often used 'trade' button. And then you can spin again, and he gets angry if you use the ring against him
    And you get send to dinosaur land! And if you lockpick the chest (I just snuck around the dinos, you get this: 7dhiv7bf0y5i.png

Now this is a stupid item anyway, but it gets way dumber if you respec Karlach to a Frenzy Barb, who can Throw while enraged as a bonus action. And give the Tavern Brawler feat. And if you want to go full cheese, you can also take 3 levels of rogue and get the extra bonus action. Which means you throw it 4x in a round, with a stupid high attack bonus.
    There are 2 items that add 1d4 damage per throw, but in my mind better, there is a glove that adds reverberation to thunder damage, and a ring that adds dazed to reverberation.

It's probably complete overkill but Karlach deserves to be her best self.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The story is getting spicy in act 3, even with an evil character. I do not know who to align myself with to pursue my amoral self interest most optimally! That's great stuff.

Early Act 3
    I took Gortash's deal, but I want to rule alone so I plan to betray him. But I've gotten Lae'zel all excited about Orpheus because I didn't like Vlaakith being such a dick, and wanted Lae'zel to owe her allegiance to me.

But now I can't let Orpheus out; he will disrupt the hive mind I will rely on for my control when I seize the Crown. I'm gonna have to kill Lae'zel, probably.

And the Emperor is... I don't trust him. He wants to seize the reins too, I bet, and he's probably going to push me to go full illithid (I would love to go full illithid of course). But will that put me under his control? And is he actually an agent of the elder brain, independent of the Crown's domination? He NEVER told me how he escaped its influence, after all....

If I could romance the Emperor and have some real gross love scenes as we take over the world, that would be ideal, but I'll probably have to kill him too.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Gloomstalker. Colossus Slayer gives you 1d8 once per round. This is +4.5 dmg/rnd Gloomstalker gives you 1 attack for 1d6+stat+1d8. This is +12 dmg. So it takes 3 full rounds for colossus slayer to catch up IF the gloomstalker doesn't have sharpshooter.

And Gloomstalker also gets +3 init. And 12 damage now is better than higher damage in round 3.

*assuming 18 stat

Other than that... aside from that it depends on if you want damage or versatility. 9 or 7 gets you level 2 spells(spike growth!) and extra resistances/skill proficiency. But each 2 levels loses you +3.5 dmg/round with extra sneak.

Ranger/Rogue

9/3 2d6 sneak + 2 attacks + 3rd lvl spells (which kinda suck but extra slots)- Uncanny dodge.

I would say 5/7 or 8/4 is probably best depending on the feat you are going to pick up.

One thing I also did is get the Band of the Mystic Scoundrel in act 3(Enchantment/Illusion spells can be cast as bonus actions after hitting with a weapon) and get the feat for Bard cantrips to get Vicious Mockery. By level 12 it's potentially base 3d4 extra psychic damage twice per turn. Just a little nice extra that has helped me secure a few annoying kills.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Great. Went into a cave at the start of Act 3 and fought some enemies related to a quest that takes you into the cave from another entrance and I guess this bugged the quest because none of them dropped the quest item I need.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Donnicton wrote: »

*assuming 18 stat

Ranger/Rogue

One thing I also did is get the Band of the Mystic Scoundrel in act 3(Enchantment/Illusion spells can be cast as bonus actions after hitting with a weapon) and get the feat for Bard cantrips to get Vicious Mockery. By level 12 it's potentially base 3d4 extra psychic damage twice per turn. Just a little nice extra that has helped me secure a few annoying kills.

Good lord the bard/warlock support in this game is absurd.

So like… extra attack bard.. with the helmet of arcane acuity. Which gives you 2 rounds of arcane acuity whenever you hit with a weapon attack. So you attack twice and have four arcane acuity if you hit. +4 to spell attack rolls and save DC. Then you can bonus action enchantment/illusion.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Great. Went into a cave at the start of Act 3 and fought some enemies related to a quest that takes you into the cave from another entrance and I guess this bugged the quest because none of them dropped the quest item I need.

Good that I read this, because I just did exactly the same thing. I can still reload to just before...

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Arcane Tower
    There's 2 things at play here:
    1: The towers hurt a ton and they they have both Sturdy (Only take damage if you get hit for more than 10 damage) and Resistance to or Immunity to many damage types. The best bet is electricity, but if you don't have that Force from Wyll also works. If he rolls above average on a damage roll on his cantrip he does damage.

2. You can disable the turrets and empower the facility by putting a magic power in the machine in the basement. This also enables the elevator.

Still in some ways it is a dead end, there's some loot there and some lore but I don't think there's much mission critical stuff.

There's also a hidden area !
    If you read all the books in the tower, then go to the roof, you can talk to the person you find there. The books have passcodes he responds to.
    One gives you a ring. Equip it, then get back in the elevator. You can now go down one more floor, to a basement.

• Options
    htm wrote: »
    Are there any consequences for...

(Act 1 spoilers)
    ...murdering all the Zhentarim in the Zhentarim hideout after you've returned the Caravan Strongbox to them? I gave it back to them before I realized that I probably should have lockpicked it first, but now they consider me "a friend of the family" so maybe that's better.

That being said, I kind of want to pickpocket and murder them for the XP, but one of them says something about working with the Zhentarim again in Baldur's Gate now that we're friends. If that's the case, I don't want to murder a potential quest giver.

I killed the first playthrough - this playthrough I've handed the item over so I can see what changes in Act 3.

Last time I had about 35k in gold by the end, as there was little to spend it on.

I want more traders, basically.

• Options

*assuming 18 stat

Ranger/Rogue

So like… extra attack bard.. with the helmet of arcane acuity. Which gives you 2 rounds of arcane acuity whenever you hit with a weapon attack. So you attack twice and have four arcane acuity if you hit. +4 to spell attack rolls and save DC. Then you can bonus action enchantment/illusion.

There are apparently gloves that double cantrips if they have a single target and a robe that adds+ charisma. So you could attack twice, get +8 to your spell save DC and then quadruple mockery for 12d4 + 4x charisma….

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

The first challenge of the game seems to be clearing a lot of disk space on the SSD.

This and Starfield take up over a quarter of a TB between them, which is just crazy.

Lucky, my PC is new, and I have three 1TB ssds in it, and only had a few games installed.

I had to delete some stuff on my Xbox for Starfield, though.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm curious if the persistence of companions in romance subplots is due to people being angry when they miss the initial cue and get locked out. So they just make the companions ask half a dozen times if they want to get down so less observant players finally take the hint.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

This and Starfield take up over a quarter of a TB between them, which is just crazy.

Lucky, my PC is new, and I have three 1TB ssds in it, and only had a few games installed.

I had to delete some stuff on my Xbox for Starfield, though.

This is why I went with a 2tb SSD for my game drive. I've got more games than I can actually find the time to play and it's 1/3 full, but it's good having spare space on an SSD.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Bards get a unique dialog choice with the myconid colony but spore druids don't?

....really, Larian?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

*assuming 18 stat

Ranger/Rogue

There are apparently gloves that double cantrips if they have a single target and a robe that adds+ charisma. So you could attack twice, get +8 to your spell save DC and then quadruple mockery for 12d4 + 4x charisma….

The gloves are once per short rest. Also "doubling" is not quite true - It's an extra projectile. Functionally doubling for most cantrips, but it's only an extra beam for Eldritch Blast.

The robe that adds charisma exists. Does require a fair amount of work that will almost certainly not happen on a Dark Urge playthrough, though there may still be a way.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Act 3 talk:
    Wyrm's Crossing
    The chef in the brothel had me laughing a lot.

"That was the best tart I ever made, and they just ate it off their asses."

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Act 3:
    Temple of Bhaal

Holy fucksticks trying to get past the gauntlet is a bitch. First attempted I got rolled. Second attempt sneaking in I find the fucker has a bunch of stacks of "attacks do fuck-all-damage", plus he teleports away so I can't just assassinate him with my thief. Third attempt I try to carefully nuke each spawn and run away before the death countdown pops, then I find out the death countdown doesn't reset once you get out of range.

I'm putting this down for the evening, I'll have to figure out some other way of making it past these assholes. Jesus.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Act 3:
    Temple of Bhaal

Holy fucksticks trying to get past the gauntlet is a bitch. First attempted I got rolled. Second attempt sneaking in I find the fucker has a bunch of stacks of "attacks do fuck-all-damage", plus he teleports away so I can't just assassinate him with my thief. Third attempt I try to carefully nuke each spawn and run away before the death countdown pops, then I find out the death countdown doesn't reset once you get out of range.

I'm putting this down for the evening, I'll have to figure out some other way of making it past these assholes. Jesus.
    my solution to that problem was
    dimension door karlach across the chasm so she can murder the guy while everyone else sits around and hides so they don't get pelted with arrows. you might want a misty step magic item for karlach to chase them when they teleport away? but also i feel like if your initiative lines up you can just strip the unstoppable stacks with ranged attacks then dimension door & shove him into the pit

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    So I brought Infernal Iron back to the smith but there's no option at all to advance the quest.

It's looking like you have to either do this before all the bosses are downed or wait until Act 2?

Hard to say but on a related note god damn do I miss gamefaqs being a thing.

Give me a giant text file with ascii art at the top that's searchable via ctrl+f over a bunch of youtube videos any day.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

"No! Bad horny vampire!"

I love
    That Astarion is perplexed that anyone would WANT to be bitten. Dude, have you seen your fan club!?

It is nice, if you let him choose and have a good romantic relationship with him, you get the variant of the ‘hug’ conversation at camp.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    You can sleep with Asterion or Lae'zel without entering into like, a dating thing with them that throws off other romances, as far as I know, you have to go on longer than that

correct me if I'm wrong

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.