Options

[Baldur's Gate 3] Four Halfing Barbarians Walk Into A Tavern...

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    But why keep paying these people to tend this goose when we could just fire those people and devour that thing whole right now?

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Maybe they can hit up the Critical Role folks for a Daggerheart video game. That would be pretty awesome.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting for a good Starfinder CRPG. I can't imagine it would be that hard to adapt the BG3 engine for a Paizo game.

• Options
    CrazyPCrazyP Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is 100% on Hasbro. Larian was teasing potential dlc for BG3 at one point, but D&D license is too toxic now. Which is a shame, cause D&D was having its 2nd Golden Age - all the suits needed to do was count money and thank their lucky stars for being execs during this era.

But I'll be down for Warhammer RPG by Larian, as long as it is set in Classic setting, not Age of Sigmar.

@Trajan45 Bladelock extra attack does not stack with martials extra attack on Honour, sadly. And I intend to try Honour mode after I finish my first ever playthrough on Tactitian, in order to feel something.
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    BG3 is missing some of the things that makes Bladelocks good. In tabletop, you can spec them to shoot dragons out of the air. No save.

That said, as a bladelock you can use any melee weapon you want. Plus armor- since you're not relying on the Potent Robe you can wear other armor with buffs.

For example my level 10 just into Act 3 warlock with 20 CHA (+5 CHA bonus)

Weapon: Halberd of Vigilance 1d10+2 +5 + 1d4 Force. +1 to Initiative, opportunity attacks have Advantage.

The weapon attacks twice with a +11 bonus to hit, doing 1d10+7+1d4 damage.

If I was specced into Eldritch Blast, wearing the potent robe, it would do this: +9 to attack, 1d10 three times, 1d10+10 each time.

So total:
    Melee: 2d10+4 +10 +2d4 (average 30)
    EB: 3d10 + 30 (average 46.5)

Lifedrinker brings the average to this weapon to 40. A bit less, but that's assuming everything hits- and the melee weapon is more accurate.

And then once you have 20 charisma you can start doing things with Great Weapon Master or Polearm Master.

Also, warlock spell slots are not to be missed. Eldrich Blast is powerful, sure, but at level 12 you've got more level 5 slots than a Wizard, and yours refresh on a short rest. So each day you get 9 level 5 slots to a wizard's 2. The downside of course is that you only get those three for all levels of spells.

But, say, level 5 Cloud of Daggers in a chokepoint? Can blender entire encounters.

I see, so indeed math shows that bladelock noticeably falls behind blaster Warlock. and yeah, you get normal spell slots aside from EB casting, but so does blaster Warlock, so point is mute. Unlimited casting of powerful EB just makes one half of making spellsword similarly mute: sure, you can compliment your martial powers with magic, but you do not really need your martial powers to help conserve your magic (whether spell slots, mana, stamina - whatever specific RPG system is using) - main blasting power can be freely spammed.

@Goumindong Yeah, with bladelock specifically I was thinking that CC spells is way to go, rather then self buffing sort of spellsword. Hm, missed items that boost DC with melee attacks. Maybe just sold off without properly registering, because nobody i party would benefit from those and none were as bonkers as Potent Robe. Actually should search for those on wiki - maybe I'll find a way to make interesting if not op character at least still.

Родина вернись домой
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    There are some gloves that do it when you apply a condition with a melee attack as well but they may not be working (and an extra d4 or d6 is better anyway)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Maybe they can hit up the Critical Role folks for a Daggerheart video game. That would be pretty awesome.

Dagger heart does not seem like it would translate well at least from what Ive read about it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I would actually love to see Larian do the Age of Sigmar setting - There's a lot amazingly gonzo high fantasty potential in that setting, and it'd be fuin for them to really lean in and tackle that with the whole Soulbound idea from the AoS rpg.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Given how janky DnD 5e translated, with Larian doing objectively a great job translating it, I’d just stay away from any tabletop systems in the future.

I’d rather they use this experience to do something original gameplay wise, that flows better from a video game perspective. I’d love for them to branch out and do something sci-fi or cyberpunk, but they love fantasy it seems.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Divinity was a better combat system than anything BG3 had, even with all its flaws, so Larian can definitely make better systems without tying themselves to tabletop rules.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Given how janky DnD 5e translated, with Larian doing objectively a great job translating it, I’d just stay away from any tabletop systems in the future.

I’d rather they use this experience to do something original gameplay wise, that flows better from a video game perspective. I’d love for them to branch out and do something sci-fi or cyberpunk, but they love fantasy it seems.

Honestly ,most of the jank in BG3 is inherent to DnD5E.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Well, then they should do MÖRK BORG.

Shadowheart: "Tell Astarion..."
    Karlach: "Astarion's dead, he took 2 damage from a rat."
    Shadowheart: "Oh, Tav, we need Astarion, tell Withers..."
    Tav: "Withers is dead. Again. More. There was some clanging bells and some voice commanded all gods upon the land must be dust, or something."
    Shadowheart: "Well shit."

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Father is on vacation so my act 3 githyanki paladin is on pause

want to roll a dark urge at some point but I dunno what I'd play as

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »

Default is a dragon dude and people say the most fun option is paladin

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I played as a halfling sorceror/warlock for my Durge run and it was very fun

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Paladin is a /terrible/ option for Dark Urge, story-wise.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I found playing as a dragonborn underwhelming. It's mechanically useless, just a resistance to one element, and it rarely comes up in conversation. When you meet another dragonborn you get to say "I am also a dragonborn", and that's about it.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I found playing as a dragonborn underwhelming. It's mechanically useless, just a resistance to one element, and it rarely comes up in conversation. When you meet another dragonborn you get to say "I am also a dragonborn", and that's about it.

Is it something that needs to be said?

I thought it would be kinda obvious

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    "How do you do, fellow kids dragonborn?"

• Options
    Curious how coop works for some of the non-major stuff. Like, does only the host get a romance option if there are 2 players and 2 NPC's? Are tadpoles just up to each player? Combat seems easy enough based on initiative and whoever starts the conversation would be the focal point.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Curious how coop works for some of the non-major stuff. Like, does only the host get a romance option if there are 2 players and 2 NPC's? Are tadpoles just up to each player? Combat seems easy enough based on initiative and whoever starts the conversation would be the focal point.

You can watch a bit of this too get an idea of how split screen ends up working

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I went gnome bard but I'm still mixed on it. Thankfully second playthrough so can just respec anytime, did that for some of the other chars too but it also just feels weird...but better having them than rando hirelings.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

Is it something that needs to be said?

I thought it would be kinda obvious

They seem like a preoccupied people

Also the elemental breath can be built around pretty easily since you find tons of gear for basically every type before you leave Act 1

• Options
    hiraethhiraeth SpaceRegistered User regular
    Huzzah, and Karlach romance didn't bug which is the real win :*;)

s3iu1wgjp4ix.jpg

Gale ending
    I didn't do his quest for the book and the crown and Mystra stuff this time, really just ignored it as it's not required to defeat the brain, and got a weird cut scene just before traversing up to the brain about him wanting to seize it as the only thing to do or something, and then after the end on the docks he's all angry at me for saying maybe don't go looking for it after what happened last time.

So he does and then ends up dying and you get a brief convo with his spectral projection in the camp during the party which is very sad :(

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Each player can only talk to NPCs in their half of the party *or* unassigned. So whoever the other player is commanding can't really be romanced

• Options
    hiraeth wrote: »
    Huzzah, and Karlach romance didn't bug which is the real win :*;)

s3iu1wgjp4ix.jpg

Gale ending
    I didn't do his quest for the book and the crown and Mystra stuff this time, really just ignored it as it's not required to defeat the brain, and got a weird cut scene just before traversing up to the brain about him wanting to seize it as the only thing to do or something, and then after the end on the docks he's all angry at me for saying maybe don't go looking for it after what happened last time.

So he does and then ends up dying and you get a brief convo with his spectral projection in the camp during the party which is very sad :(

All the Gale endings kinda suck for him in different ways
    That said him blowing himself up with the Brain seems best. He redeems himself and does pay for his hubris. You do lose out on a boss fight but meh

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Do you guys just rotate your team or pretty much keep it the same for a specific playthrough? Mine is fairly fixed, unless I need something specific.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Do you guys just rotate your team or pretty much keep it the same for a specific playthrough? Mine is fairly fixed, unless I need something specific.

Karlach is always on but I try to rotate for the situation and quests on this playthrough. This tanked my affection rating with Shadowheart to the point Withers called me maidenless

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Being a dragon person is rewarding enough in of itself.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    edited March 25
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Each player can only talk to NPCs in their half of the party *or* unassigned. So whoever the other player is commanding can't really be romanced

Ah interesting. So each PC can have 1 NPC chained to them that they control. We're not playing split screen, so would I be pulled into conversations to the other PC initiates? Do we both teleport to camp if one of us does?

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    Is up to you guys you pair people up so you could assign 2 to one player if you wanted to fit some reason.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Krieghund wrote: »

Modern party-based CRPG moved to concept of party hub\camp that contains all recruitable characters you can switch on the fly and idea being that they all join you on adventure, with actual party size just a gameplay and story segregation element.

But personally I still stick to old days of picking and sticking with single party composition for the entirety of game. This is based on idea of me replaying game multiple times and makes it easier to make sure I do not miss on any party interaction across all multiple playthroughs. And I do stick to it even for personal quests, if I can help it. If not, and I am 100% need specific companion that is not in party to proceed - only then do I temporary switch to him. But try to switch him back as soon as I can.

I do occasionally switch in Astarion for locks\traps utility, when DC check is really high, but make sure to immediately switch him out before battle\conversation starts.

Родина вернись домой
  • Options
    My first playthrough has been my gith paladin, shadowheart cause I ended up romancing her instead of laez and also clerics pretty great, astarion and gale.

Dark urge group is gonna be Karlach, Wyll and Minthara though raiding the grove while unique is just a bit of a bummer so I'll probably b line to her in act 2.

• Options
    hiraethhiraeth SpaceRegistered User regular
    I like having a set group and the traditional roles or tank/healer/spellcaster of Karlach/Sheart/Gale, don't particularly like the other characters. Knock can open anything except quest orientated locks.

Trying to think of a challenge for a new Honour mode run, but not something hardcore silly like solo.

• Options
    I like having a set group and the traditional roles or tank/healer/spellcaster of Karlach/Sheart/Gale, don't particularly like the other characters. Knock can open anything except quest orientated locks.

Trying to think of a challenge for a new Honour mode run, but not something hardcore silly like solo.

Kill everyone at Last Light and eat the Pixie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Kill everyone at Last Light and eat the Pixie.

nvp9si436crc.png

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Not the pixie!

Родина вернись домой
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Right, so I'm over 40 hours in now and I've only just realised I can dye my clothes.

Also catching back up to where I was before my computer died has been problematic, I keep discovering other stuff I didn't do! Back at the Trials now though, hoping to save scum my way through them to get the same outcomes I did previously.

I previously had a cool Pole Arm weapon for Karlach though and I can't for the life of me figure out where the hell I bought it from. Not that I'm wed to that weapon but she definitely needs an upgrade.

Also I killed many at Last Light by accident. I opened a bottle in the middle of the Inn which just so happened to contain a beholder. It popped out and started killing folks. Fun fight, but I reloaded and plan to use it somewhere else to cause chaos!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Right, so I'm over 40 hours in now and I've only just realised I can dye my clothes.
    I previously had a cool Pole Arm weapon for Karlach though and I can't for the life of me figure out where the hell I bought it from. Not that I'm wed to that weapon but she definitely needs an upgrade.
    Do not know which one you mean, but like 99% sure you speak about halberd you can buy from bugbear
    Inside Moonrise Towers, near entrance

Родина вернись домой
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    CrazyP wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Do not know which one you mean, but like 99% sure you speak about halberd you can buy from bugbear
    Inside Moonrise Towers, near entrance

That's the one!!!

I'll go pick it back up tonight :)

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited March 26
    Starting to get rather frustrated in act 3 with line of sight stuff. Karlach can't seem to throw anywhere without some invisible blockage in the way.
    bzkc8n8przy6.png
    nb9bcmvpg2pb.png

Trajan45 on
This discussion has been closed.