Options

Monitor audio from 3-pole headset jack?

I have a 3 pole headset jack - the type which has headphones and microphone on 3.5mm jack.

What I want is a small, ideally unpowered (but USB is fine) device I can plug into this which will provide a volume adjustable analog audio monitor of the microphone back to the headset.

Does such a thing exist? Or what should I be searching for to find it? I don't want to depend on features in software to do this, since they're erratic and weird a lot of the time.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I have a 3 pole headset jack - the type which has headphones and microphone on 3.5mm jack.

What I want is a small, ideally unpowered (but USB is fine) device I can plug into this which will provide a volume adjustable analog audio monitor of the microphone back to the headset.

Does such a thing exist? Or what should I be searching for to find it? I don't want to depend on features in software to do this, since they're erratic and weird a lot of the time.

That's a 4-pole. (the metal jack itself is the fourth!)

If you aren't concerned with microphone (dunno if monitor even supports that), what you want is a headphone amplifier, there's a ton of them out there starting from the cheap on amazon. No idea what is good or not though, I'm still using front-panel audio.

• Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    I think the term you are looking for is Sidetone.

I think the headphones you are describing are tip-ring-ring-sleeve (TRRS). A quick googling of "3.5mm TRRS sidetone" comes up with a few different forums documenting projects that I think would address your need.

Ideally you would have a TRRS headphone amplifier which gives you manual control of the sidetone. I'm not sure such a thing exists. You might have better luck trying to find a cheap USB audio interface (DAC) with a hardware monitor. You could use an adapter to split the TRRS into a TRS(heaphone) and TRS (microphone), plug both into your interface and control the volume of your 'monitor'.