Options

[Starfield] In space, no-one can hear you become overencumbered

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There's a goth girl in Galbank that I cannot recruit or help

This is unacceptable
    She wants to be a necromancer, but because magic isn't real is settling for soul sucking banker and I was so mad that's all I get to hang out with her so far.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Just give me this ship

9b2tnz7hddxb.png

does Chunks make pig?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

This is unacceptable
    She wants to be a necromancer, but because magic isn't real is settling for soul sucking banker and I was so mad that's all I get to hang out with her so far.
    Magic is real! I have magic!
    Like why put her there if I cant marry her?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    I'm like 60 hours into this whole thing and the outpost system still doesn't seem to have a compelling argument to engage with it, unless you just like to make your own base. There's some weird content islands in this here video game.

Any compelling argument I thought there was for outposts was eliminated when I realized I can just go to that one store on Titan and buy all the crafting/upgrade materials I need instead.

• Options

This is unacceptable

I just randomly found her dead on the sidewalk. Which is apparently a thing that happens to her for a bunch of people? I don't know if that's one of those weird bugs like in Skyrim where some NPCs would just spawn in the sky and fall to their deaths, or if it's some scripted thing? But nobody is reacting and AFAIK there's no quest line for her.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I just finished Barrett’s personal quest and was left disappointed.
    Unraveling a corporate conspiracy, finding evidence and tracking down witnesses was fun but I was hoping to have some involvement in the trial rather than handing everything off to the lawyer and flying the mission accomplished banner.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

This is unacceptable

I just randomly found her dead on the sidewalk. Which is apparently a thing that happens to her for a bunch of people? I don't know if that's one of those weird bugs like in Skyrim where some NPCs would just spawn in the sky and fall to their deaths, or if it's some scripted thing? But nobody is reacting and AFAIK there's no quest line for her.

We get it! You're goth!

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    How do I make my own ship? Do I need to go to the different ship companies and buy their products I want to use, then go to the ship technician on a landing pad and go into that menu?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    How do I make my own ship? Do I need to go to the different ship companies and buy their products I want to use, then go to the ship technician on a landing pad and go into that menu?

No. To modify your original ship, just go to any city's ship technician or a manufacturer's sales person at their main shipyards/main office and ask to modify your ship. The Upgrade option lets you upgrade/downgrade specific parts from a very limited selection, but doesn't change the overall design. The Edit option lets you remove, add, or reposition any part on the ship to make it your own custom design, using the full range of parts that technician has in stock or the parts already on your ship.

Each technician will have a different selection of parts based on the local manufacturers, so you may have to visit several to get all the parts you want. The large landing pad you can build at an outpost will have a wider selection of parts than any technician, but you'll still need to visit the manufacturer's home shipyard for their special/largest parts.

If you want to build/modify a second ship, you will first either need to buy one from a ship technician or steal and register one to make it yours. You can then modify the second ship how you want. You cannot build a new ship from nothing, only change ships you already own.

Parts are not shared between ships and are not "stored" if removed. You cannot buy a part for one ship or remove a part from a ship to use on a different ship. You also cannot save partial builds.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I just finished Barrett’s personal quest and was left disappointed.
    Unraveling a corporate conspiracy, finding evidence and tracking down witnesses was fun but I was hoping to have some involvement in the trial rather than handing everything off to the lawyer and flying the mission accomplished banner.

Yeah I honestly could not believe this was happening while it happened. It’s wild that they thought a whole quest chain that just happens off screen was a good idea??

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Me and Sarah are married now, I guess, or engaged?

oh my god Matteo can officiate. Certified Best Friend Barrett can be my best man, obviously.

also I love that

a) they label your choices so it's like
    [friendship]
    [romance]
    no mixing those up

and b) they get a conversation option afterwards where you can be like "NO WAIT I FUCKED UP, SWITCH THOSE."

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Heffling wrote: »

This is unacceptable

We get it! You're goth!

I was at a friend's house post tabletop and we were hanging out waiting for supper to finish and this post got enough of a laugh they asked me what so so funny. So I described the sitch (one of them has played like twice as I have yet somehow hasn't encountered her) and when I read your post our host laughed so hard he had to stop chopping vegetables for like 30 seconds.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You can't build a ship from nothing, you have to have a ship to start working from

You can, however, just delete every part of that ship in the builder and start building from scratch

No it doesn't make sense

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Spoilers for Entangled main quest:
    Holy shit that was a well done quest. I was expecting some kind of subterfuge or hostage situation type thing with the "we didn't send a distress call" and was watching for an ambush with the whole "we'll ignore the locked main doors and go through this strange storage room instead."

SO I definitely did not see the big twist coming and "What the fucked" out loud. It was one of the top 5 most genuine reactions I've had in a game. For that moment, with the first shift, I was in 100% lockstep with my game character.

Also I wasn't sure if it was some hallucination thing after the first one or not, since the planet has hallucinogenic spores. So the confusion in the dialog choices matched my own.

Just so very well done.

And ending spoilers for Entangled
    So the game definitely tells you there's only two options, and you have multiple conversations where you're told you gotta pick one or the other. And I hadn't decided yet, since it seemed very Bethesda to have last second pleas anyway. Also I was pretty indecisive and looking for some other shoe or something, like consequences outside the facility.

I found option 3 quite by accident, and didn't even realize it was a third option until it was all done. I have maxed Research skill and one conversation gave me a unique option to ask if they wanted me to complete the experiment, or what would happen if I did and the response was "We have no idea, we're off the map, lets not make things worse okay?"

I found the instructions on the body out sheer habit of checking every nook and cranny before advancing plot. And I just wondered what would happen if I followed the directions. So I was surprised again when that was the magical undocumented 3rd option. Neat!

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man the first UC Vanguard quest kicks serious ass, I wish I’d done this sooner to the beginning. I recommend everyone sign up and go on the probation mission, it’s awesome

More of this Bethesda, less radiant randomly generated nothing.

Or at the very least if you’re going to randomly generate shit make it actually random, and not the exact same facility with the exact same layout and the exact same stuff inside. I would’ve been fine with prefab facilities if the interiors were even a little bit randomised and flavoured with the accoutrements of the occupying force.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Prohass wrote: »
    Man the first UC Vanguard quest kicks serious ass, I wish I’d done this sooner to the beginning. I recommend everyone sign up and go on the probation mission, it’s awesome

Or at the very least if you’re going to randomly generate shit make it actually random, and not the exact same facility with the exact same layout and the exact same stuff inside. I would’ve been fine with prefab facilities if the interiors were even a little bit randomised and flavoured with the accoutrements of the occupying force.

I've been neglecting a lot of the side content because I heard some NG+ mechanic or something builds into everything. I don't know any details or even if the wording is accurate, but on that knowledge I've just been rushing the plot and only doing some immediate and relevant side stuff. Then I'd do my usual "Do ALL the things" playthough in NG+.

Without spoilers, should I be doing that stuff now instead of waiting to do it after finishing the main quest once?
    I'm far enough into the story to have some suspicions, but I don't want anything confirmed or hints or allusions. I know about the Starborn and have told both Emissary and Hunter to fuck off, but haven't gone to where they're waiting for me after I've completed artifact collection yet

expendable on
    Steam
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

What I've found is any faction quest is infinitely better than the main story or any or the random quests

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I spent all my money on a new ship, my first class B. The Shieldbreaker. I put the Vanguard weapon options on, and man, whatever those laser replacements they have are... they're nice. I easily took out two Starborn ships that showed up right after that.

Edit: but I tried to go find a legendary pirate ship at Lovell, and can't find it. I have no idea, and there is no quest marker for it anymore.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    man, you know what this game needs? Radio stations

future tunes, go Cyberpunk 2077 and have a bunch of nerd musicians to make beep boop songs for you, there could be a few call-in shows, you'd definitely be able to place radios in outposts

that's what really made my CAMP feel alive in Fallout 76, was having a radio on, just that background chatter

it's lonely out in space

• Options
    oh also I found that moon that Lin previously worked at with Barrett, Ka'zaal, and I started a totally unnecessary mine so I could station Lin and Heller there.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

What I've found is any faction quest is infinitely better than the main story or any or the random quests

I have found one random questline that I can def say is worth doing, though not without spoiling what makes it fun.

In the Charybdis system if you just want to poke around for it.
    Amelia Earhart is now a part of my crew.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I went ahead and finished One Giant Leap last night and started up NG+ and uh...clever!

Story ending spoilers
    First off I told both the Emissary and the Hunter to fuck off. But it was still strange how both of them just, let me go do things instead of following their stated philosophy fully and just blowing me away and taking what they wanted.

The Hunter did say "Well it's never been you and I want to see where this goes" at our meeting together which I just kinda chalked up to immortal beings that jump across the multiverse getting a little bored and enjoying some minor novelty, but it felt like lazy writing to give the player an out against obviously superior forces in order to still advance the story in a non-tedious way.

At the buried temple as both the Hunter and Emissary squared off to me I first tried to persuade them out. I got a critical success on my first line "Look, you wouldn't even be talking to me if part of you weren't willing to just give me the artifacts and leave me alone." and they were like "Yeah okay that's fair" and gave me the artifacts and walked off. Which I found amusing giving the previous line from the Hunter and just chalked it up to "Oh vidya games, you're so silly sometimes."

Then I finished One Giant Leap and that's when I finally got it. If NG+ is centered around you visiting different parts of the multiverse as a Starborn yourself, of course you'd be interested in seeing where things go when something completely different happens on NG+4 and might not blow somebody out the sky just for the sake of seeing the new content. Maybe you want to see if there's different ends at NG+5 or 10 and are just blowing through it via the path of least resistance like Emissary or Hunter do.

The player can end up following the path of Emissary or Hunter just through the nature of human beings in general and gamers in particular. And in that situation the player doesn't even have to be role-playing per say.

I thought it was pretty clever in that regard anyway. Like how Entangled was structured and setup with player confusion mirroring character confusion. Great way to structure a NG+.

I still have questions. Like who built the temples and artifacts and set it all up, which Unity kind of nodded at with the Creators and leaving it open to DLC or modders....or maybe if I NG enough I See something? Damnit, falling into that Emissary/Hunter trap of striving to see Unity again and again.

But also I have other questions. Like what happens if I kill a Starborn, or I die. Do we just wake up in another universe? Who is building Starborn ships and where are they being built and how do we get them? And their spacesuits. Where is the alternate version of me? I landed back on Vectera right away in NG+ and Lin and Barret didn't think anything was odd about my ship or my appearance, but I can't have subsumed my alternate self because Barrett and Religious Dude both existed together. Though in Religious Dude's case he was a Starborn that was done hopping alternate realities and was kind of settling down....kind of like me going to do all the side stuff and really explore the nooks and crannies this time, god damn it.

I will say jumping to Jemison and having the contraband scanner and ship technician go ga-ga over my ship was quite amusing. I did end for the night before stepping off landing pad though, after seeing if I could modify the Starborn ship (nope).

Unity tells me that Sarah eventually decides to be become Reborn and goes through Unity. But why didn't she react to any of the artifacts like Barrett and I did?

Steam
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    man, you know what this game needs? Radio stations

future tunes, go Cyberpunk 2077 and have a bunch of nerd musicians to make beep boop songs for you, there could be a few call-in shows, you'd definitely be able to place radios in outposts

that's what really made my CAMP feel alive in Fallout 76, was having a radio on, just that background chatter

it's lonely out in space

I can't tell you how much having country radio playing, with the soundscape correctly set so it sounds like music is bouncing around the metal hull of my ship, would improve the vibe of the game

Combine that with more thrilling, though less realistic, skyboxes of dramatic nebula and the ability to fly between worlds in a more feasible time scale and I could fly around for hours

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I want to get into this game but man, it's not making it easy.

I got as far as jumping to the planet with the first big city, but once I got there, they threatened to arrest me because I apparently had a bounty despite not encountering any space cops or whatever. I guess I inadvertently stole something in the first hour or whatever?

Anyway, I was all sure I'll pay the fine, copper. No big deal.

Except it just warped my confused ass to some police station in the city with zero fanfare. Didn't tell me where I was, where my ship was, etc.

Real dang lame, videogame.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options

I got as far as jumping to the planet with the first big city, but once I got there, they threatened to arrest me because I apparently had a bounty despite not encountering any space cops or whatever. I guess I inadvertently stole something in the first hour or whatever?

Except it just warped my confused ass to some police station in the city with zero fanfare. Didn't tell me where I was, where my ship was, etc.

it does do that sometimes, and the lack of a map is a poop. the best you can do is either quick travel via the planet map, or track a quest that'll lead you back to your original spot

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    So I'm on about...NG+3 or so and man they really need to make the temple gimmick be a one time thing because that is a motivation killer. It's becoming a sleep aid any time I play at night.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular

it does do that sometimes, and the lack of a map is a poop. the best you can do is either quick travel via the planet map, or track a quest that'll lead you back to your original spot

Yeah, it felt super jarring and disruptive. I'll give it another shot at some point with a fresh start. Was going to switch gears from BG3 while they worked patch stuff out, but those folks seem very quick on fixing broken things, so we'll see.

I really dig Starfield's aesthetic and love any game that let's me play space trucker. Put way too many hours into Elite: Dangerous just schlepping space doodads across the galaxy to buy better ships and upgrades to hold more space doodads etc.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    I had just taken the first level of the Jump Pack Assault ability. And then found a group of Spacers that weren't doing much damage to me, so I used the last few as trampolines since I had to do damage to enemies with my Boost Pack. The moon I was on was 0.1 gravity so slowly falling back onto a guy so I could launch off of him again was an experience.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I feel like Successful persuasion attempts should get you more than like 10xp. It’s weird that the best way to get xp is just blasting your way across a planet devastating the local wildlife. I did a small mission running about and persuading people to do stuff, ten minutes, fun enough, but all up 75xp for the mission and 10 for each of the 3 persuasions

On a lot of planets you get that killing one creature. Just seems like the xp rewards for missions are out of whack

Prohass on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    You can't build a ship from nothing, you have to have a ship to start working from

You can, however, just delete every part of that ship in the builder and start building from scratch

No it doesn't make sense

The best way to think about it is you need a valid SIN (Spaceship Identification Number) for anyone to actually work on the ship itself. Which is also why when you make massive changes to say, the Razorleaf, everyone still recognizes it as the Razorleaf, because the SIN is what's used to track what ship is what.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

No it doesn't make sense

The best way to think about it is you need a valid SIN (Spaceship Identification Number) for anyone to actually work on the ship itself. Which is also why when you make massive changes to say, the Razorleaf, everyone still recognizes it as the Razorleaf, because the SIN is what's used to track what ship is what.

Ok guys, new plan. Steal a ship and rename it to The Jesus Christ, but never register it. That way it will be SINless.

• Options
    oh hey, if you use the console on one save, from that point on all your saves on all your characters are considered [modded] and won't get achievements :(

you gotta delete all the [modded] saves, like excising a tumor, and then quit the game, go into user/documents/my games/starfield and delete starfieldconsolehistory.log and then you have to start back at the last save before you used the console

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Or just use a mod that allows achievements despite mods and console commands.

• Options

>:[

• Options
    zOXQuEp.png

thanks, li'l guy.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Day 1 download.

• Options
    man, I can't wait for the creation kit, gonna make me an apartment in Gagarin Landing, I love that crappy little cliff-town

also I just discovered if you have your cutter out, you can hold the left trigger like you're aiming and it focuses the beams and breaks stuff like, so fast.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Lin did a terrible job of explaining that to the one guy in the Intro when she yelled at him about it not being a hammer.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Day 1 download.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/658?tab=description
    (Only works with Steam, if you're using Game Pass use a previous mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/252?tab=description)