Options

[Starfield] In space, no-one can hear you become overencumbered

191011121315»

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Hey, I've got to the part where you meet for the first time
    rhe Hunter and the Emissary and you have to choose between them and like, does it matter at all?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, maybe I haven't had to choose yet, it just
    let me talk to both of them. Then the Emissary gave me something to thebmoon.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Okay, maybe I haven't had to choose yet, it just
    let me talk to both of them. Then the Emissary gave me something to thebmoon.

You eventually make choices about that, but it's extremely clear and you can make different choices in your NG+, so just go with your gut, there is no wrong path through the story.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Something has happened.

It started with my helmet disappearing when I was going thru airlocks, before the Outer door closed.

Now I'm standing on Mars in my regular clothes.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Something has happened.

It started with my helmet disappearing when I was going thru airlocks, before the Outer door closed.

Quato Achievement unlocked?!

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah not finding any Total Recall references on Mars left me pretty cold

I hope they're just very subtle, those are the best easter eggs

• Options
    Happy Little MachineHappy Little Machine May I see your identification badge, please? Registered User regular
    Something has happened.

Yeah, I got that bug too. I read that the way to fix it is to go through one of the non-loading screen airlocks a few times, which I *think* is what fixed it for me.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Having 0 as the default use med pack button and then O as the default use ship parts button is a cruel joke. I assumed I was just out of ship parts for the longest time

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Having 0 as the default use med pack button and then O as the default use ship parts button is a cruel joke. I assumed I was just out of ship parts for the longest time

I was so confused as to why

1) I was out of medpacks when I'd just picked some up
    2) medpacks would work on my ship in the first place

It had terrifying lore implications

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I was so confused as to why

1) I was out of medpacks when I'd just picked some up
    2) medpacks would work on my ship in the first place

It had terrifying lore implications

Starfield is now Warframe?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

On Xbox, it's down on the dpad to go to your quick use menu to use them, and right stick push to use ship parts.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    So... Nishina Research Station... huh.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    I just did a thing that is a reminder about saving frequently and often.

I got the last batch of artifacts and leveled to 52 at the same time so before putting all of the artifacts together I flew somewhere and upgraded the generator on my ship. That act also combined all of the artifacts so I would have to remove them from my ship before spinning up my drive the next time.

When I tried to board my ship so I could remove the thing I got stuck. So I loaded an autosave from earlier but was stuck again. If I had done a save before jumping to a Ship Services Tech to upgrade my generator I could have loaded that save and removed the artifacts before going to upgrade my generator.

Now I have to go to a save that was before I started the mission that got me the final batch of artifacts.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Just about to start NG+8, some random thoughts. Spoilers for NG stuff I guess
    TIP: at the end of the game, make a save right before you spin up your Grav Drive to enter Unity. Entering Unity is going to be the seed to determine if you get one of the 10 unique variant universes. It's also like a 15% chance or something, so you would likely need to load from this save several times in order to get something goofy.

WHICH CAN BE BROKEN, there's a stupid bug for some of the scenarios that doesn't let you save the game or open your inventory screen. It took me 6 reloads to get a variant last night and I got the one where Evil Me had killed Constellation. Only I couldn't fight Evil Me since I couldn't access my inventory, and once I died it just booted me to title screen without a valid save to go back into. Utter nonsense; there are supposedly a couple other variants that also do the same.

The Starborn ship and armor are fine to use if you're going to do the Starborn rush. I wasted too much time the first couple of runs by beefing up a ship and gear. If gaining powers is the goal then just jam right through with as little side stuff as possible.

Because the cycle is boring as hell. They really needed to either shorten the Temple stuff after the first time, or mix it up with some other tasks;
    because jogging to an identical temple then floating into a buncha sparking lights for 24 powers x 10 runs is ridiculous. Doubly so since you don't always get all the powers; I missed Parallel Self on the first two runs, then somehow got it to level X while the rest were in VI. Then missed two powers in a run so now I'll probably need to do another run or two or more if I want to max out all the powers.

There's still a lot of jank and poor design decisions in this game but many of the core concepts still work for me.

Also have done 3 of the 4 companion stories and apparently a core requirement to join Constellation is to ignore trauma for like a decade before deciding to follow up? I mean c'mon Sarah, jeez.

edit: NG+8 update
    rolled a stable alternate universe, where Andreja and her goon squad had wiped out Constellation and were waiting in the Lodge for me. Ironic; I just did her quest/romanced her in the previous universe. This should be an interesting playthrough.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    I just spent two hours building a great ship. It handles very well, has a longer jump range than my previous ship and looks pretty good.

Then I went inside and tried to walk around and it is a confusing mess. Not to mention, designing an entire ship with all the parts counted as one upgrade for my shipbuilding skill.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I just spent two hours building a great ship. It handles very well, has a longer jump range than my previous ship and looks pretty good.

Then I went inside and tried to walk around and it is a confusing mess. Not to mention, designing an entire ship with all the parts counted as one upgrade for my shipbuilding skill.

Starship Design skill requires you to use unique parts, that is, parts you have not used before. Any parts you reused in the design or if you tend to use the same favorite parts all the time it's not going to increase.

The easiest approach is to take a second ship you own but don't care about and turn it into a Frankenstein mismash. Start at the top of a part category and add that part. Save the design so it counts, and just keep working your way down the parts list, saving after adding each part, changing categories if you run out, until you complete the challenge, but no more since you need to save some for the next level.

Some building tips: 1x1 companionways have top priority for ladder position on a level. So if you want to guarantee a ladder spot, use a companionway. If you hover over an existing hab's door attachment point and use the Attach option it will generally prioritize putting a door at that point, but it's unfortunately not guaranteed. Especially if you aren't using companionways for ladders and the hab you are adding is above/below the "primary" level with the cockpit. If you use the Add option and just move the parts together, the door will be randomly chosen unless there's only one option. There are also some Hopetech and Nova hallway parts available at their home shipyards that are just a point-to-point hallway with no other door openings so can be run adjacent to or above/below other habs without creating unwanted doors or ladders.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I captured a ship and used that as the base for doing the final rank of the ship design challenge. (The other challenges I did with upgrading parts and changing weapons on one of the ships I got from a mission.) After I got to Rank 4 I switched that ships generator out for C to build a ship around. With that experience my future plans for ship building will include building an outpost with a Large Landing Pad so I can get all of the common parts without having to jump to different planets.

I started NG+ my first time last night and was left with one disappointment.
    I only found 23 of the 24 temples. I spent a bunch of time yesterday jumping to all of the unvisited systems I could find hoping that would trigger Vlad but only found 117 systems. Apparently the power I don't have comes from Temple Xi and a lot of players end up getting locked out of that one. Maybe I needed to go visit all of the systems I had already visited.

• Options
    Seg wrote: »
    I captured a ship and used that as the base for doing the final rank of the ship design challenge. (The other challenges I did with upgrading parts and changing weapons on one of the ships I got from a mission.) After I got to Rank 4 I switched that ships generator out for C to build a ship around. With that experience my future plans for ship building will include building an outpost with a Large Landing Pad so I can get all of the common parts without having to jump to different planets.

I started NG+ my first time last night and was left with one disappointment.
    I only found 23 of the 24 temples. I spent a bunch of time yesterday jumping to all of the unvisited systems I could find hoping that would trigger Vlad but only found 117 systems. Apparently the power I don't have comes from Temple Xi and a lot of players end up getting locked out of that one. Maybe I needed to go visit all of the systems I had already visited.

About your missing power and end game spoilers
    If Barret dies during the main story or you don't do his personal quests you can't get the Parallel Self power. But you do get it automatically from the first temple in NG+ as a catch up mechanic.

If the missing power is not Parallel Self and you don't have any more Power From Beyond missions, probably best just to move on to NG+ to get it there. Or just use a console command to get it. Power locations are random and scanning every planet hoping to find it is really not worth your time. Worst case is you'd eventually need to do one extra NG+ run to get every power to level 10. But that would take less time for you to grab all the powers again than to scan every planet for the one you are missing.

• Options
    Regarding powers:
    I missed Parallel Self initially and in NG+, so I dunno how much of this catch up theory is valid.

Though by the time I finished NG+5 I had all my powers at 6 and Parallel Self was at 10 so I double dunno how this all works.

And now I'm at two other skills lagging behind the rest so I triple dunno how this all works. Or doesn't.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I just saw a short video where the person pointed out that people who have Piloting can use Lateral Thrusters by holding down Space or RB (the button above the right trigger)

A thing pops up on screen to tell us how to boost, how to target a ship and how to target systems on a ship, but I haven't noticed anything explaining that seemingly important feature.

edit: Bindings as Switch Flight Mode

Seg on
  • Options
    You need to put a point into Targeting Control Systems in the tech tree in order to target ship systems. With it unlocked, you slowly start to lock onto the target ship, then can press a button (controller is X), which then lets you target individual ship systems. Taking out engines will allow you to then board the enemy ship.

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Someone in the G&T thread pointed out that using the thruster button also allows you to make sharp turns. Apparently it's not just a thruster button but also a "alternate flight mode" button.

• Options
    Justice wrote: »
    Someone in the G&T thread pointed out that using the thruster button also allows you to make sharp turns. Apparently it's not just a thruster button but also a "alternate flight mode" button.

It cuts your main engines and disables the flight assist so your ship continues coasting in its original direction. So when jousting with an enemy ship you can then turn your ship, and it also turns slightly faster this way, to face the enemy as they pass by while still coasting backwards and then release to reengage your engines. This is basically doing a hairpin turn that lets you get behind enemy ships quickly instead of only doing big looping turns. It's not full Newtonian flight, but it's definitely beneficial in fights.

• Options
    I kind of want to try NG+, but I really don't want to deal with the home traot or the annoying fan trait again. I've spent over 7 days of time playing this, and really don't want to start over from scratch, but...

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    NG+ question: resources (animal, vegetable, and mineral) are randomly generated on a given planet, yeah? I may conceivably have a playthrough where adhesives aren't annoying to farm?

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I kind of want to try NG+, but I really don't want to deal with the home traot or the annoying fan trait again. I've spent over 7 days of time playing this, and really don't want to start over from scratch, but...

When I started NG+ I started without the Dream Home trait because I told the bank to foreclose on it. I expect the same thing would happen if I tell Dad that I don't want the Kid Stuff Trait any longer. But I still find listening to them amusing. (I haven't tried the Adoring Fan yet but if there is a way to tell him to go away that might carry over into NG+.)

You could try doing a hard save before taking that final step just in case you don't like how NG+ starts.

Honestly the first several hours of NG+ have mostly been amusing because of the skills and powers I have from the first time around. I still don't have any C class ships, but I am getting close to having enough credits that I am ready to build my first one.

Seg on
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    NG+ question: resources (animal, vegetable, and mineral) are randomly generated on a given planet, yeah? I may conceivably have a playthrough where adhesives aren't annoying to farm?

It's based on the biome, certain plants will only spawn in certain biomes. It's why people who go to Strix 1 to farm the floating guys for XP say you have to land in the crater biome, because that's the only place they spawn.

• Options
    Skeith wrote: »

I get mine from Frigid Palms at Linnaeus II. Online says Gagarin has it too.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    There are some crafting materials that, like digipicks, I just cleaned out of every merchant that had them

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Ran into a game-stopping bug last night. I'm not sure, but I may have deleted my saves from too far back, so if I abandon the quest lines now, it could be the end of the UC.
    Which, frankly, I'd be pretty ok with, but I want to finish anyway.
    Sure hope it gets patched pretty quick.

• Options
    Good news, I had a save back far enough that I wasn't locked into the UC questline

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Good news, I had a save back far enough that I wasn't locked into the UC questline

What was the bug?

• Options
    In researching it, I guess it's the second to last in their questline. Right after you see
    the heatleach turn into a terrormorph and kill it,
    you have to go into the next room, but the NPC won't come with.
    I even tried pushing them!
    There's apparently a pretty easy fix on PC, but I'm on Xbox

• Options
    I should add: it's not a universal big. Doesn't happen for everyone. But it happens enough that there are reports of it.

• Options
    Funny enough, rather than go through UC, I am running the Crimson Fleet quest line, and ran into a stopper bug in their second to last mission too!
    Fortunately the workaround for that one is pretty simple and I was able to continue.