Options

[Starfield] In space, no-one can hear you become overencumbered

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    That image conjures a deep, deep lizard brain fight/flight response in me

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The fact that I haven't heard much of this game being a Cyberpunk-level mess makes me think that maybe I should pick it up, but I've got classes to procrastinate on and multiple other games to do it with

Maybe around Christmas! That seems like a good time for it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The fact that I haven't heard much of this game being a Cyberpunk-level mess makes me think that maybe I should pick it up, but I've got classes to procrastinate on and multiple other games to do it with

Maybe around Christmas! That seems like a good time for it

I’ve had one hard crash on pc and some general Bethesda bugs (items flying around, bodies vibrating like they’re possessed corpses) but honestly bugs are not an issue. They weren’t lying about this being a very polished product in that regard, but overall my feeling is l, if it’s not “free” and you’re on the fence, give it as long as possible when maybe there will be some QoL changes.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The way it cuts to another person in a conversation by just doing a hard cut to them standing in the middle of the screen is really jarring

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I think the buggiest thing I've seen so far is the one time an enemy ran off to hide behind cover, somehow got stuck in between a shelf and the wall, and then vibrated a bit before falling over dead.

Other than that just some weird stuff like NPCs shuffle stepping away from me for 5-6 steps during dialog or hanging out in the fountain under the big statue in New Atlantis. (The former is why I turned depth of field off. The dude walked just far enough for the DoF to turn him into a blurry mess for the entire conversation.)

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    The way it cuts to another person in a conversation by just doing a hard cut to them standing in the middle of the screen is really jarring

I left Sarah outside the office of the Mars Governor and it still cut to her out on the Cydonia walkways when she chimed in and it was unintentionally hilarious.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

For the past couple of hours, every time Sam Coe appears in conversation, he’s facing 180-degrees away from the camera and never turns around. Just holds entire conversations with his back to everything.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

For the past couple of hours, every time Sam Coe appears in conversation, he’s facing 180-degrees away from the camera and never turns around. Just holds entire conversations with his back to everything.

He’s a moody space cowboy.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited September 2023
    My dad: without the money you send home we could never afford this fancy apartment in this big city we’ve inexplicably decided to live in. Oh well, at least with your money we manage to barely scrape by.

Also my dad: so I was in this high stakes poker game the other night and won a god damn space ship.

minor incident on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Huzzah!

I am a former Industrialist from the United Colonies Collective who is a Taskmaster with Parents!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Sam Coe gets to stay on the ship with his kid, no idea why I'm expected to care about a guy in a cowboy hat in outer space

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    As a massive Bethesda fan (something about their games just gets to the core of my child like love of gaming), I was just kind of mildly looking forward to this, no hype, no real anticipation or excitement the way I would have for a fallout or elder scrolls game

Playing it and I’m already welling up with tears, it’s like a surprise Bethesda game for me. I forgot how long it’s been since I’ve had the feeling

All the complaints and criticisms just aren’t for me, they’re not my headspace and I just play these games and love them. And already I’m in love with this like I always am, it just hit me when I first got on the ship, there’s just something about their games, the approach, the structure and how it’s all stitched together, no other studio quite does it for me. Like studios make better games, even better similar games, but ever since morrowind I’ve never felt the same as I do when playing a Bethesda game

The dialogue animations are great, lots of little flourishes, while the cutting between characters is jarring at first, I feel like it’s at least technically smooth and makes things feel a little livelier. Animations in general are much improved, and the graphics and world is also very improved, I’m very impressed

It’s the kind of game that I’m sure will continue to get lots of criticism and be very divisive, but for me the heart wants what the heart wants, and it wants this

I’m now also pining for elder scrolls 6 already again

Also it was really hard to not create a character that looks like Matt Damon, even tho I tried!

I’m glad I could turn off motion blur and turn down film grain to half tho, my head just can’t handle motion blur and I feel like it makes textures in the distance look worse. 30fps on my series x will take some getting used to, it’s smooth but I’ve been playing a lot of 60fps games lately. However the texture detail is phenomenal and feels worth it

Prohass on
  • Options
    proxy_hueproxy_hue Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm really digging this game. The UI is a little hard to parse, but I was also streaming my first couple of hours so I didn't necessarily have the presence of mind to really figure things out. The combat feels pretty good too. Like they got some Destiny designers in there or something.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Hilariously as someone who might be the only person on earth who usually has a relatively bug free time with Bethesda games, the first creature I found that buries itself and then re-emerges, I shot it as it was re-emerging and it got stuck half way and then shot out of the ground like a cannonball into the air. As someone who never personally got to witness the flying giant attacks of Skyrim this pleases me

Prohass on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I've given this game about 2 hours and...I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason to keep going.

Got to the club, got another level up and I just...couldn't even be bothered to spend the skill point.

Glad to those who enjoy it, but boy oh boy I'm glad I'm trying it through Gamepass.

• Options
    Oooo animals sleep at night! Yay. I love stuff like that. I still want more games to really put an effort into making like herbivores travel in herds, eat, sleep, graze etc, but any behaviour other than idle or walk is a plus in my book

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    So as someone who made it to the Lodge and immediately fucked off to go exploring, is there a proper tutorial on Crew and Outposts or are you kind of left to your own devices on that kinda stuff?

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    You get some notices as you start to build an outpost that tell you what some things are

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Karoz wrote: »
    I've given this game about 2 hours and...I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason to keep going.

Got to the club, got another level up and I just...couldn't even be bothered to spend the skill point.

Glad to those who enjoy it, but boy oh boy I'm glad I'm trying it through Gamepass.

I think if you’re not really into Bethesda games, their gameplay loops, missions, etc, and you don’t just enjoy exploring and the basic atmosphere it probably won’t win over any converts. I love it but I tend to always love their stuff and I enjoy spending time just wandering about

Prohass on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    The inventory system in Starfield became much better when I realized I could access and send stuff to my ship's cargo hold from anywhere.

Please explain this "Librarian's ghost"

Tab (on PC) and select SHIP quadrant, I think it's lower left? Might be upper left. You'll end up on the ship menu, which I'm sure has a hotkey like quest log and inventory I just never bothered looking it up. Press C or whatever it says on that screen (hotkeys listed in lower right) to look at the cargo hold. You can now put things in the cargo hold and take things out from your inventory like you would any of the companions inventory or a random container.

It's only supposed to work when you're in close proximity of your ship though; at least that's what the tutorial popups said. I've not tried to do it when I'm neck deep in an facility clearing out pirates several hundred meters from my ship.

There's also a panel behind the Frontier's pilot chair on the port bulkhead that will let you interact with the cargo hold as if it were a normal container as well.

So I just found, after 22 hours in game, that on the starboard bulkhead behind the pilots seat on the Frontier, right above the floor, directly opposite the Cargo hold panel, is a yellow "Captain's Locker" that gives you some additional storage that doesn't count toward the cargo hold. So I can stop schlepping things back and forth from the locker in my lodge room/stop storing weapons in the cargo hold.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I find the planets feel really expansive visually. Like just in terms of atmosphere climbing up a hill and looking out at mountains and mist and the distance just gets me right in the feels

I enjoy walking but I do wish that there were late game bikes or something, I get they probably tuned the game for the exact walk speed, but I imagine after the awe wears off later exploration will be a bit less fun. Hopefully something they can work on in dlc (or mods)

Prohass on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I find the planets feel really expansive visually. Like just in terms of atmosphere climbing up a hill and looking out at mountains and mist and the distance just gets me right in the feels

I enjoy walking but I do wish that there were late game bikes or something, I get they probably tuned the game for the exact walk speed, but I imagine after the awe wears off later exploration will be a bit less fun. Hopefully something they can work on in dlc (or mods)

Transformable Vasco mod

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    ok i think this game is kinda cool

in the recent pre-release buildup i thought a lot of what they showed didn't really sell the game that well... it looked like a very stale/generic scifi setting... and it felt like they were targeting NMS which is not something i was interested in

but really this is just skyrim with guns and spaceships... i was always receptive to skyrims overall concept but i frequently fell out of it because the combat was really disappointing. i would have not guessed all that formula needed was laser rifles to move up two or three whole notches

the combat isnt great, the ai is pretty much the skyrim AI (bad), but the gunplay is adequate enough to hold my interest at least for now

hoping that getting deeper into the game reveals better side characters and some bigger dungeons (im pretty sure it does based on the gameplay footage ive seen today)

• Options
    One thing that’s definitely silly is they didn’t program in a “do not repeat the same thing on a planet” into their algorithm. On the very first planet I ran into two natural interest locations that were identical. Come on guys, I love you Bethesda and I’m ok with procedural generation, but you surely just have to tick a box that says “if one already present do not repeat”

• Options
    edited September 2023
    I’ve spent like 5 hours and I haven’t left the first empty planet haha. I’m just taking screenshots and wandering around cos I love how it looks. Bounty hunters landed and I paid them off. Love that shit

Prohass on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I think I spent about 2 hours in The Well just doing sidequests, holy shit

• Options
    Somebody has put out a mod that makes the inventory screen way better. Even if you're not the type to mod games I'd highly recommend at least giving this one a look.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/773?tab=posts&BH=0

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Am I missing something or is there an easier way to set up easily swappable melee and long range weapons?

• Options
    There used to be a way to quick swap between your last selected weapons right? Like in fallout 4? Am I misremembering?

Cos yeah all I can find in starfield is the favourites menu

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »

I think if you’re not really into Bethesda games, their gameplay loops, missions, etc, and you don’t just enjoy exploring and the basic atmosphere it probably won’t win over any converts. I love it but I tend to always love their stuff and I enjoy spending time just wandering about

I have played Bethesda games to varying degrees of success though I definitely favor Obsidian.

Intro and overall setting thoughts
    But this start lacked a lot of what the previous game had of a big hook (they murdered the emperor, dragons are back) or a world (in case worlds) I want to explore. It isn't in an established setting like Elder Scrolls or Fallout so when they say <Important Name> it means nothing to me. Like, if I weren't railroaded to go to the Lodge, the most my character would do is get the credits from the artifact sale and then take the first trip off that rock cause somehow no one really cares that 6 miners just died to a sudden pirate raid--and probably will come back.

The ship they force you to learn is primarily for quick transport and dogfighting, but the former is clunky and the latter is...clunky.

I don't step out of the prison sewers and see a world I want to explore.

Also I have hated the change from perks to skills for character progression that started around Fallout 4. +10% damage to a gun type just to keep yourself properly scaled to enemies is not a perk, it is a tax.

Apparently I am off the railroad now so I will try just exploring a bit.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I was pretty disappointed in Starfield until I realized I can't treat it like other Bethesda games. In all their previous games, my typical behaviour was to explore every cave or point of interest on my way to the objective. However, the actual on foot exploration in this game is ultra boring, in my opinion. I've found I enjoy the game a lot more if I just jump from quest to quest. Fast travel everywhere.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    2nd Starfield try, still not going so well.
    Yeah I know it's not the case but it feels like I'm looking at loading screens more than playing--yes not the case I put in on my SSD.

People advise to do the main quest for things to open up which have been more slow tutorials and fast traveling loading screens.

Get into a big firefight and...can't really see what's going on. Doesn't help the enemies are bullet sponges and follow the "I can see you so I'll shoot at you." Which is fine cause they weren't doing that much damage but is hardly the tactical behavior I was expecting.

Hopefully I can quickly wrap up this quest so I can just do exploration and give it one last chance. Like I can see what there is to like but it's so bogged down in bad systems it's frustrating.
    I was pretty disappointed in Starfield until I realized I can't treat it like other Bethesda games. In all their previous games, my typical behaviour was to explore every cave or point of interest on my way to the objective. However, the actual on foot exploration in this game is ultra boring, in my opinion. I've found I enjoy the game a lot more if I just jump from quest to quest. Fast travel everywhere.

Yeah, basically Mass Effect 2 I'd be on board, but they have a bunch of extra steps to get to that involving menus I am just skipping through.

Sorry I'm not try to sound like I'm shitting on the game, I want to enjoy it but it's just...not doing enough for me.

• Options
    My favorite dumb thing in Starfield so far is how both enemies and your companions will just stand there and shoot at each other through glass forever, even though no bullets pass through.

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular

The beginning is rough. It gets a lot better around hour 10, once you get used to the travel UI and dig into some of the handmade quests, and hit a couple planets with critters, it starts to feel like a proper Bethesda game except with good shooty combat.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I am one of the rare people who have not played Skyrim. I named my guy "Baker Mann" as a joke, and now robobuddy Vasco can actually pronounce my name, calls me Captain Baker and everything?! Has this been the norm for AAA games? It blew my mind.

Or is this a predetermined list of words that the roboticized voice can voice and I lucked out? I'm assuming it's this one.

• Options
    There's a predetermined list. I think there's a reddit post somewhere that has the full list of what names Vasco will say.

If you put both a first and last name when naming your character and both names are on the list then Vasco will use your last name when referring to you.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I think they baked an machine learning tool to be able to say a bunch of english words from a big list

my characters last name is King and it called me Captain King (which was also very surprising and impressive). so it will reach for any word it has in its list and try to do use that i guess

but as far as I've seen only that robot can do it

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I'm hoping there's a hidden quest about how advanced VASCO is. Styx is dumb as a box of rocks as are most of the other robots you see around.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I named myself Dave and Vasco calls me Captain Dave which is a little bit silly.

Also my Dad is... not observant.
    sw87d060l4my.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’m using the ship dad gave me but I switched out the two main rooms. It is now more of a space RV. I wish it was easier to see what was inside each Han module without having to waste money swapping them and running back and forth to the inside of the ship to check.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork