Options

[AI Art] Continues to be The Torment Nexus

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I genuinely do not know why some of you persist in dancing with Paladin when the nature of their mind has been laid so very bare for us already

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Oh. My god.

The database would still be bad even if it wasn't created using facial recognition technology.

That's why I just posted about it being a bad thing, independent of facial recognition technology.

From what I'm reading, it seems like it's little more than a search engine sans facial recognition. If the database is the root problem, then that's a tougher but also much older issue that's been around for decades. I don't think anything can be done about preventing the existence of a database of sex workers because all that data is free to be found online anyway. What can be prevented is augmenting that with facial recognition technology, say with a blanket ban on all facial recognition technology for all sex work of all kinds. Anything simpler than that, the cat's already out of the bag.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Oh, to be blessed with an utter lack of empathy and human connection. How stress-free my life would be.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I genuinely do not know why some of you persist in dancing with Paladin when the nature of their mind has been laid so very bare for us already

No matter how many times someone tells me it's a schooner, I'm going to keep staring at the Magic Eye to see if I can make sense of it myself

• Options
    The root of the query is basically "is machine learning the big threat here?" From what I gather, it's a symptom rather than a cause.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    The root of the query is basically "is machine learning the big threat here?" From what I gather, it's a symptom rather than a cause.

It is exacerbating existing issues. It is a force multiplier of bad shit. It is possible to be concerned about multiple things at the same time. Begging you to consider discussions in the larger real-world context they occur in rather than in hermetically sealed hypotheticals.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

It is exacerbating existing issues. It is a force multiplier of bad shit. It is possible to be concerned about multiple things at the same time. Begging you to consider discussions in the larger real-world context they occur in rather than in hermetically sealed hypotheticals.

I'm not sure if you read much of the previous AI thread but this stone is particularly lacking in blood

• Options

I'm thinking more of attacking roots than stems. It's easier to go after facial recognition, which has limited uses, than machine learning, which is used near everywhere, making selective application murky. It could be easier to go after just plain search engine results of sex workers with a sort of GDPR type law, but that would be a bit tricky since the data comes from public advertising essential to the businesses of these individuals. Therefore, I think the concept of facial recognition is the true weakest link in this pathway.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I don't see how facial recognition is the weak link here. Like, that shit's entrenched, that's a huge part of modern surveillance. Going after that is a tremendous project at best, a fool's errand at worst.

Yeah it would be great to rip the tree out by its roots, but that's hard work, and trimming the branches in the meantime may make it easier when the time comes to do it.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Meanwhile Terraformimg Matters has a new Kickstarter and is using AI Art

Its gross as fuck! This PC gamer link gives a solid overview, including some of the "justifications"

https://www.pcgamer.com/game-that-raised-over-dollar15-million-on-kickstarter-defends-its-use-of-ai-art-its-certainly-going-to-hurt-people-but-i-dont-think-this-is-going-to-go-back-in-the-bag/

Or you can read the incredibly goosey interview here.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/tabletop-games/23873453/kickstarters-ai-disclosure-terraforming-mars-release-date-pric

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I don't see how facial recognition is the weak link here. Like, that shit's entrenched, that's a huge part of modern surveillance. Going after that is a tremendous project at best, a fool's errand at worst.

Yeah it would be great to rip the tree out by its roots, but that's hard work, and trimming the branches in the meantime may make it easier when the time comes to do it.

There's only one line in which this is of particular note and it's that in other countries at least, the facial recognition system being put to use could be a violation of privacy for law enforcement to actually use

The RCMP got into trouble for using Clearview AI and it led to Clearview withdrawing from Canada; this was because of immense violations of privacy law

I assume this kind of software would not be usable here, either

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been thinking that machine learning could blow up the flaws in these root problems way too fast for the institutions to employ them to enjoy from a risk management perspective, in effect being the solution to its own problem by the virtue of being way, way too efficient beyond normal realization.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Paladin.

You're being a goose. You're being such a goose that you've already got multiple posts in this thread mocking you.

Maybe, just maybe, you should take some time to think about why that's the case and why people are fucked off with you instead of continuing to dig deeper.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Paladin.

You're being a goose. You're being such a goose that you've already got multiple posts in this thread mocking you.

Maybe, just maybe, you should take some time to think about why that's the case and why people are fucked off with you instead of continuing to dig deeper.

Paladin doesn't actually think about the things we say to them, they just use it as an excuse to talk more (cue them responding to this with "oh no I do think about it a lot, it's just that [insert more unrelated rambling showing they didn't take in anything anyone said]")

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    I read everything you write and consider it thoroughly, because that's what matters to me. What you think of me as a result is your business.

• Options
    called it B)

• Options
    called it B)

Well, I tried.

• Options
    yeah, we all have

Paladin is this forum's version of "we hear you, we're listening, and we want to do better" corporate speak

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Like I don't particularly agree with anything Paladin says but at this point people are willingly making him the thread's main character every time he posts by getting exasperated with him. You can't keep getting surprised that the stove is hot. He is who he is. Move on or that's all threads with him will ever be.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    https://variety.com/2023/film/news/stephen-fry-ai-stole-voice-harry-potter-audiobooks-1235727795/

Copied over from the D&D Labor thread:

An audio books been published using Stephen Fry's voice.

Which he did not record, nor consent to - it's an machine replication based off his readings of the Harry Potter books.

So.

Gross! So glad that we're living in the democracized art future.

• Options
    This should definitely go through the courts to figure out if the creators attributed the voice to him, though I can't find the documentary alluded to. The stickier issue is the possibility of a new, distinct voice created from a variety of different people.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    El Pais, Spanish newspaper, reports on it's English edition a new use for AI:

https://english.elpais.com/international/2023-09-18/in-spain-dozens-of-girls-are-reporting-ai-generated-nude-photos-of-them-being-circulated-at-school-my-heart-skipped-a-beat.html
    Almendralejo has five middle schools and, in at least four of them, AI-generated images of naked students have been spread. Police sources in Extremadura report that they are aware of seven complaints, so far. The case is being investigated by the Almendralejo judicial police. In fact, they have already identified “several” of the alleged authors of the photographic montages, according to officials. The case has been placed in the hands of the Juvenile Prosecutor’s Office.

Sara filed her complaint last Friday. When she arrived at the police station, she ran into another mother who was just coming out the door. Fátima Gómez, 30 years old, has a 12-year-old daughter. She found out about the case last Wednesday night around 10:00 p.m., when the mother of one of her daughter’s friends called her to tell her: “I saw a naked photo of your daughter. It’s a montage.”

Gómez suffered an anxiety attack. Later, she had a conversation with her daughter: “Do you know anything about a naked photo?” The girl did not hesitate. She said yes, and showed her mother a recent Instagram conversation she had with a boy. In it, he asks her to give him “some money.” When she refused, the boy immediately sent her a naked photo of herself. All she could do was block the contact. The police believe that there is a false profile behind this account.

Also, here on Lima saw this week news saying the same: Since AI generation is accesible, kids can easily generate deepfake naked pictures of their classmates and set up miniature extorsion networks around it. Oh, and the dipshits behind the services know exactly what they are being used for:
    The investigation, according to police sources, remains open. The photo of one of the minors included a fly; that is the logo of Clothoff, the application that is presumably being used to create the images, which promotes its services with the slogan: “Undress anybody with our free service!”

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Also, here on Lima saw this week news saying the same: Since AI generation is accesible, kids can easily generate deepfake naked pictures of their classmates and set up miniature extorsion networks around it. Oh, and the dipshits behind the services know exactly what they are being used for:
    The investigation, according to police sources, remains open. The photo of one of the minors included a fly; that is the logo of Clothoff, the application that is presumably being used to create the images, which promotes its services with the slogan: “Undress anybody with our free service!”

Now, call me old fashion, but I hope the folks behind Clothoff get eaten alive by a pack of wolves.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    This should definitely go through the courts to figure out if the creators attributed the voice to him, though I can't find the documentary alluded to. The stickier issue is the possibility of a new, distinct voice created from a variety of different people.

There’s no debate here, it’s fucked up and wrong. Get out of your dumb little bubble and act like a human being for once.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

There’s no debate here, it’s fucked up and wrong. Get out of your dumb little bubble and act like a human being for once.

Without getting into technological details, impersonating someone in any communication, slapping their name on it, and not clearly denoting through disclaimer or obvious setting that the communication is parody broadcasts the idea that the person tacitly endorses the communication. Regardless of the technology used, that's fraud and slander. The technology becomes relevant when determining damages as it's capable of fooling a larger number of people.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wow

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Y'all, again, Paladin has been responding in the same style for over a decade at this point and it's either a bit you are never going to crack or some sort of extreme neurodivergence, yelling at him is not going to do anything except generate another response you're going to be mad at for no benefit to anybody.

And if you're just responding to him pre-emptively planning to get mad regardless of what he says, then like... find something else to do?

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Now, call me old fashion, but I hope the folks behind Clothoff get eaten alive by a pack of wolves.

Sigh. Called it.

This is exactly the sort of shit I saw coming down the pipe. Turns out when you "democratize" image creation, it means you make it accessible for a whole lot of absolutely vile fucking shit.

Really looking forward to the political attack ads and other horrific bullshit this will enable

Meanwhile, the positive uses of this technology have been...

*Crickets*

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Given that this is involving minors from the get go, I can think of an use that I 100% guarantee is already happening, which is generating lots of CP.

And Clothoff already knows this, report from El Confidencial since this is already being investigated by Spanish authorities:
    If there is one thing that is repeated over and over again both on the ClothOff website and in the terms and conditions of service, it is the disclaimer by the company behind the app. In fact, the document is replete with phrases such as "you are solely responsible for the images generated" or "you are responsible for not using the app for illegal purposes". It also reserves the right to remove any montage that breaches these precepts, which clearly has not happened in this case.

Presumably, in the case of the minors of Almendralejo, the right to personal privacy, honor and self-image, which is included in Article 18.1 of the Spanish Constitution and protected in the Penal Code, has been violated. In addition, the problem is not only that the authors made the forgery, but also that they spread it through WhatsApp groups without authorization.

Those responsible for ClothOff assure that the application was launched to the market last July 2023 after two years of development work. It has a profile on X (Twitter) with 3,000 followers. But this is nothing compared to its Telegram channel, which has around 750,000 subscribers. Through it they report the latest news and integrated "improvements". According to the company, it is not responsible for the use that users make of the montages.

As they reported earlier this summer, they estimate that 30,000 people use ClothOff every day. What's more, they talk about a daily growth of 30% and ask for help from the community to expand the application and translate it into other languages. These are worrying figures considering the potentially harmful use of ClothOff.

Pretty much "move fast and break things" aka "not our problem, fuck off" as first and only response. It will be seen how that goes against EU laws.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Regardless of the court’s opinion, it’s the moral duty of all humans to drag the ClothOff people from their homes and tear them asunder

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    GRRM and John Grisham are suing OpenAI for using their work to train ChatGPT without their authorization or compensation:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-66866577
    US authors George RR Martin and John Grisham are suing ChatGPT-owner OpenAI over claims their copyright was infringed to train the system.

Martin is known for his fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire, which was adapted into HBO show Game of Thrones.

ChatGPT and other large language models (LLMs) "learn" by analysing a massive amount of data often sourced online.

The lawsuit claims the authors' books were used without their permission to make ChatGPT smarter.

OpenAI said it respected the rights of authors, and believed "they should benefit from AI technology".

Other prominent authors named in the complaint include Jonathan Franzen, Jodi Picoult and George Saunders.

The case has been brought to the federal court in Manhattan, New York, by the Authors Guild, a trade group in the US working on behalf of the named authors.

According to the filing, it accused OpenAI of engaging in "systematic theft on a mass scale".

It follows similar legal action brought by comedian Sarah Silverman in July, as well as an open letter signed by authors Margaret Atwood and Philip Pullman that same month calling for AI companies to compensate them for using their work.

A spokesperson for OpenAI said: "We're having productive conversations with many creators around the world, including the Authors Guild, and have been working co-operatively to understand and discuss their concerns about AI.
    "We're optimistic we will continue to find mutually beneficial ways to work together."

• Options
    lol I love that there isn't any attempt whatsoever to actually deny it

• Options
    Benefit how, assholes?

And no one make a crack about GRRM not finishing shit.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Hey the Mars terraforming backtracked.
    And the usual chuds are coming our to say that this is luddite thinking and how ai is a art tool that we just have to accept

"Oh if I have an idea that has art I need to get artists and pay them money? Or worse make friends with them and collaborate? But my vision!"

Bloods End on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Drinking with the sixty year old comic artists at the con. Complaining as loudly if not louder than the old timers about AI. This really isnt much to add to thread but let’s be real none of us have had much to add for months.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    If you want to keep track of how the Getty v. Stability lawsuit is going, the judge just approved Getty's request for jurisdictional discovery today, which basically means they'll schedule a meeting determining whether it's ok to consider Delaware an appropriate jurisdiction for the case.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Now you too can ruin your memories with sanitized saccharine deformities

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I don't honestly mind most of those features. Painting them all as AI is pretty dumb, but it's all.. fine?

Changing the pictures is really dumb, of course. People who don't like their family having goofy faces don't understand the joy of life.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The face thing is grim in the usual ways not the AI way

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg