Options

[ICON] - Episode One - "Going Off the Trails Towards a Walking-Train"

12346

Posts

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    One by one, the four Watchers descend the hempen ropes, creeping inch by careful inch down the cliff face and further into the basin below…


    A hundred feet down, and that was likely the roughest bit…roughly seven hundred vertical feet to go, from the looks of it! Where you all headed from here, gang?

    Study the pictures in the caves, hoping they’ll point towards a safe path through the caverns, maybe reveal something of the area? Do you choose to ignore the pictures, and simply Sense your way down like true spelunkers?

    Perhaps, hearing the bells and guessing at their purpose, you might want to attempt to Charm whoever may be listening nearby, or Command them to reveal themselves?

    Or possibly you think the caves are a trap…maybe there’s a way you could Traverse down without entering the tunnels? Could you possibly even Excel off the rock like a *madman* to find you way further?

    You may proceed all together, or one at a time, let me know before/as you make a roll. Ask questions/try things/break stuff!

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oh oh cave pictures! Eiko would want to look at those via Study. She's curious of their origin, how old they are, etc.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The otter flicks a small ear in irritation as he descends, the jingling bells making him tense for an ambush. Making his way down he glances up but, no, Embergaze chose to go after the Lopen and yelling up past her about this situation would just alert any potential bandits below further. Best to just pretend he's unaware. Hm. The old biddy looks like she's about to fall, better kick off to the side if the Lopen comes flying...

    With an internal sigh he resumes the climb, reaching the balcony. He holds the rope steady for the rest, murmuring to Ember as he finally arrives, "Potential ambush in the caves. I take the lead and you cover the back?" Swims-to-Glory looks around the entrance they're stood within, "Though, this feels spacious enough to defend, we could call them out and see what happens."

    He stows away the rope he'd tied to the koi, surreptitiously stretching his limbs to warm up for a fight.

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    We'll wait and see how old-pros @Glal and @AustinP0027 choose to handle tackling the descent into the caves together!...*meanwhile*...

    @kime , Wheel-of-Fortune roll to examine those cavern carvings up close for a few minutes!

    @jdarksun , catch your breath: how did that descent treat Eirlys? Where is the Lopen's attention at present?

  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Ember nods along with Swins as they scout the area, lowering his voice as well. "Sounds fair. Something heard us coming, question is where are they watching from?"

    With an additional pause, Ember continues, "Let's wait a moment. See if something pops up in the open that we can see. If not, we can start through the caves after."

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »

    @kime , Wheel-of-Fortune roll to examine those cavern carvings up close for a few minutes!

    Always be pushing? Well if you say so!

    Geth roll 5d6k1 to Study with Push

    to Study with Push:
    5d6k1 5 [5d6k1=[5], 5, 4, 2, 1]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Clutching the gnarled staff as if it were the last remaining strand of life itself, Eirlys tottered forward into the caves. "Ambush or no, anything's better than that death trap cliff face." The aged Lopen adopted a stoop as she walked, squinted into the darkness and muttered under her breath. "Thrice-damned cliffs. No good can come of the lack of roads. Can't roll a cart down a cliff face, oh no. Nowhere to stop for a fire and a stew."


    Geth, roll 1d6 for Sense in the hopes that the caves are safer than the cliffs.

    Sense in the hopes that the caves are safer than the cliffs:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Apologies for the delay- been a helluva week!


    Embergaze and Swims gruffly and professionally plan their strategy, while the pair keep a close watch out for any movement, either deep down below or from within the cave system. Eirlys, trembling ever so slightly, pulls her vicelike grip from the ropes, a sour look marring her usually serene countenance and deep breaths coming unsteadily. Meanwhile, Eiko begins to examine the colored cave drawings with her usual bouncy and eager interest, walking carefully a few yards into the nearest cavern to take note of all of them. The bright lass quickly discovers a “master key” among the graffiti, a collection of all the jumble of symbols, letters, and numbers that make up a sort of “directory” for the cave system. The symbols each corresponding to a specific location, the letters denoting direction of descent to reach said location, and the numbers informing how far below a particular path would take you into the basin below. Occasionally, a symbol will have something like a heart, or a skull, or a cloud in front of it. The rest of the scrawls around are seemingly just nonsense, meant to mess with the tourists:

    - A picture of a steak and a cider. 300 feet down. Some sort of wide open meeting place, or congregation point? Not anywhere near an exit, but it seems like every other path down is accessible from here. Likely where the kids go to hangout.

    - A pair of stick figures, walking a winding path, stalagmites growing up all around then. 600 feet down. Seems like the main thoroughfare through the cave system: takes you most of the way down without needing to scale vertical walls, and it’s likely the most well travelled of the group.

    - A single stick figure, standing atop a hill peering down upon trees. 400 feet down. An overlook point? You could likely get a much closer view of the basin from here, although anyone in the basin would be much more likely notice you as well. [Marked by a Cloud]

    - A pair of stick figures holding hands, inside a spout of falling rain. 600 feet down. Likely a descending path behind a sheet of falling water, a hidden fall around here somewhere: beautiful, but slightly treacherous. Some sort of “lover’s lane” perhaps? [Marked by a Heart, a Skull, and a Cloud]

    - A single stick figure, clinging to an overlarge leaf, apparently in the process of falling. 700 feet down. It takes Eiko a moment, but she grins when she puts it together: a water slide! This route must lead to some sort of downward running waters, buried somewhere inside these caves [Marked by a Skull]

    - Three trees, one standing above the rest like a big brother. 500 feet down. This route of tunnels must lead directly to the treetops below: likely, there’s wood ladders or something similar built into the arbor once you arrive, which would lead further down into the basin? [Marked by a Skull and a Cloud]

    - A single stick figure, falling into a circular body of water below. 700 feet down. A path to what must be a Diver’s Drop, and a one way ticket to the bottom of the basin. Certainly not for the faint of heart, or anyone trying to keep their presence unnoticed. [Marked by Two Skulls and a Cloud]

    - …are those…paw prints up the side of a hill? No…those must be handholds, rock grips (natural or carved) directly up the side of the cliff. This is the only entry actually marked, “LEAVE THE BACKDOOR TO THE PROFESSIONALS”. A list of RIPs, each in a different hand and as long as Eiko is tall, are etched below. Seems like the suicide route…but mention of it being a “BACKDOOR” also suggests it likely isn’t being watched…[Marked by Three Skulls and a Cloud]


    Upon Eiko commiserating with the others, S-T-G and Ember quickly determine that the wide open space and the main thoroughfare would be the most likely places for an ambush, should one await the crew below. Eirlys quickly determines that she wants nothing to do with nearly all the choices presented. The sconce in the cave casts the group’s familiar, stretching shadows onto the rock wall: it’s been lit recently, probably only in the last couple hours…

    Eirlys
    The main, winding path, and the lover's lane are the two routes that least set your heart aflutter. You think your Vertigo might be able to handle the water slide as well, but the rest of these descents sound like an absolute nightmare


    Which path (or paths) does the group choose to take? You need not all take the same route from here, but fair warning: your arrival into the basin below may be at different points should you choose to separate, and you might be discovered along the way at any point!

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I mean, you offer a water slide and expect I may pass it up!?

    Eiko looks to the others, eyes wide and eager. She points at the directions to the water slide: "we have to try that! How many opportunities are you going to have to do this in your life!?"

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    >.>

    <.<

    Is that map something hidden or secret? :lol:

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    "Or," Eirlys suggested in a manner that she hoped covered her discomfort, "we could try the path without skulls?"

    (edit: didn't realize my post got cut off, apologies!)

    jdarksun on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "The skull certainly isn't an encouraging marking." Ember jumps in. "Though, there are two and three skull paths, so one skull is less dangerous than those."

    Ember looks at the sign again. "We should probably keep away from the overlook as well. The bells meant someone would know we're coming, but better not to just give them a clear view of us coming."

  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The otter hums deeply in his throat, "This looks to be a highly frequented area. Hopefully that means whomever those bells are meant to alert is lax in their duties..." He peers at the drawings, asking Eiko to repeat what a few of them meant.

    "I feel the opposite, going to the overlook would give us a good overview of our destination, maybe helps us spot potential danger or safe routes early, then we can decide how to descend the rest of the way."

    So far, a three way tie. Swims-to-Glory looks to the Lopen, "Do you have a preference?" Ideally one that doesn't result in her knocking him off a cliffside.

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    >.>

    <.<

    Is that map something hidden or secret? :lol:

    Eirlys has certainly deduced which routes are the ones that will get her to the bottom the quickest/with the least chance of catching Strain or worse from a bad Vertigo experience, and the boys would have been able to piece together fairly quickly that the skulls are danger ratings, *and* the most likely locations enemies might be lying in wait...*but*, it is true that Eiko is the only member of the party capable of competently "reading" the directory!

    So...we are looking at a party split, either Eirlys on her own or Ember/possibly S-T-G going with her towards a safer route? Will Eirlys be somehow talked into braving the water slide? Or will Eiko lead the group where she will, and hope it's too late to turn back once the group discovers where they've been led?...
    :p

  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Ember would stay with Eirlys, even if that meant the group ended up splitting.

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    >.>

    <.<

    Is that map something hidden or secret? :lol:

    Eirlys has certainly deduced which routes are the ones that will get her to the bottom the quickest/with the least chance of catching Strain or worse from a bad Vertigo experience, and the boys would have been able to piece together fairly quickly that the skulls are danger ratings, *and* the most likely locations enemies might be lying in wait...*but*, it is true that Eiko is the only member of the party capable of competently "reading" the directory!

    So...we are looking at a party split, either Eirlys on her own or Ember/possibly S-T-G going with her towards a safer route? Will Eirlys be somehow talked into braving the water slide? Or will Eiko lead the group where she will, and hope it's too late to turn back once the group discovers where they've been led?...
    :p

    Ah, I didn't mean that I would keep it a secret from the group. Just always on the lookout for refreshing my Effort, which happens when I find something "hidden or secret or forbidden"

    Eiko's not gonna try and trick the group to do the water slide, but I think she'll split up and do it herself. We're all going to the same spot after all!

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Ah, I didn't mean that I would keep it a secret from the group. Just always on the lookout for refreshing my Effort, which happens when I find something "hidden or secret or forbidden"

    Hmmm...well, the Dragon's Drop isn't exactly forbidden, and it's not really a secret to the Natives of the area, but it's certainly "hidden" from tourists and the "general public", so yeah, I'd count it!
    Eiko's not gonna try and trick the group to do the water slide, but I think she'll split up and do it herself. We're all going to the same spot after all!

    Makes sense! :) So that's Eiko for the water slide path, Eirly and Embergaze for elsewhere ( @jdarksun , what alternate route do you want Eiko to point you down?), and @Glal , where are you headed? Beside Eiko, with the other pair, or on your own?

    After you all decide and say your (hopefully temporary) farewells, everyone please roll up a Traverse roll ( to get to your destination quickly and carefully) or a Sneak roll (to get to your destination quietly and cautiously) and we'll move things along!

  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    S-T-G has no intentions of separating the group- his vote is to hit the overlook first, then pick a safe way down after they've used the overlook to scout their destination, but he's not going to leave the group for it. If Eiko and Eirly go separate ways he'll roll his eyes and follow the one Embergaze doesn't.

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Eiko looks at the hesitancy of some of the others in the group. But, well.... if it were that dangerous, there wouldn't be a rating system of skulls, right? She tries to think of an excuse. "Since we know these all lead to the same place roughly anyways, maybe it's a good thing to go in a couple separate ways. We could... miss something otherwise!"

    Nailed it!

    "I'll see you all there, it'll be fine!"

    She gets her things ready to head for the water slide.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    With a sigh and shake of head he gives a half-wave to Embergaze, "See you at the bottom. If we don't all get separated and killed in tight corridors." The otter follows after Eiko, pulling the apprehensive koi after them, eyes scanning the surroundings for potential ambushes.

    He's going to push himself, since he's apparently a lazyboy who relies on his mount too much when travelling.

    Geth, roll 1d6 for Descending Quietly

    Descending Quietly:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Ember frowns as the group splits, but looks back at Eirly, who remains with him. A waterslide would be a huge risk. He is starting to form the opinion that Eiko could end up being a chaotic sort of trouble for the group.

    "Well, then, let's get moving." Leading Eirly toward the main path, Ember tries to move them carefully and quietly. He was still worried about those bells and who they might attract.

    Geth roll 2d6k1 for Sneak

    Sneak:
    2d6k1 3 [2d6k1=[3], 2]

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    A waterslide would be a huge risk. He is starting to form the opinion that Eiko could end up being a chaotic sort of trouble for the group.

    Hey now, it's not like Eiko picked a fight with the official guards at the city! :tongue::tongue:

    Eiko will follow Swims-to-Glory's lead about descending quietly-ish, though.

    Geth roll 1d6 to Sneak with Pushing

    to Sneak with Pushing:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Just to confirm, you only get to trigger your Second Wind once per Session, correct? Otherwise you need to either Camp (which is limited) or finish/abandon the expedition to regain Effort?

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Just to confirm, you only get to trigger your Second Wind once per Session, correct? Otherwise you need to either Camp (which is limited) or finish/abandon the expedition to regain Effort?

    Oh good catch! I totally forgot about that. Oops.

    Speaking of camps though, how many do we have this Expedition (the Expedition is reaching our destination iirc?)?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Speaking of camps though, how many do we have this Expedition (the Expedition is reaching our destination iirc?)?[/i]

    Two Camps for between here and "Shitheap" on the first leg of the group's Expedition/Two Camps between "Shitheap" and finding Nox for the second leg. Arriving at Kapok's Crossing is gonna be roughly the midpoint (*maybe* a bit closer to 1/3) of the first part of your journey towards the Churner settlement (adventures in the Wilderness of the Elwood being more taxing/dangerous than travels along the Main Road, for the most part)

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    The Otter and the Trogg share one final, weary glance between them as the group chooses to separate on their descent into the cave system. Turning back to escort his excitable Thrynn companion, Swims nearly chokes as the furry veteran sees that Eiko has already departed deep down into the leftmost tunnel; is almost nearly out of sight! Muttering an Islander curse under his breath, S-T-G gives a single commanding slap upon Pridi’s tail fin, the koi instantly springing into action as it darts down the tunnels in pursuit of the impatient young lady, his whiskered master jogging not far behind!…

    Embergaze takes a moment to close his eyes and compose himself, taking a deep, calming breath. Then, the giant gently extends one hand to the pull up the relieved Lopen, the other putting a single finger to his lips…


    @AustinP0027 and @jdarksun , when you say “Main Path”, do you mean *this* one, or a different passage?

    - A pair of stick figures, walking a winding path, stalagmites growing up all around then. 600 feet down. Seems like the main thoroughfare through the cave system: takes you most of the way down without needing to scale vertical walls, and it’s likely the most well travelled of the group.



    Eiko/Swims-to-Glory - “Water-Slide” Route


    Eiko bolts a hundred yards straight down from the entrance, then takes a sharp (and very well-concealed) left from among a half dozen choices at the location of a few well lit lanterns, (an area much like the insides of a shining, hollow pinecone). In close pursuit, Pridi is scarcely able to wriggle through the tunnel, Swims having to give the fish a firm push from behind before the koi *pops* out and clears the egress, the small lass still far up ahead of the pair…

    The Thyrnn leads the crew over a treacherous walkway, (less than two and a half feet wide underfoot, and slippery sides falling into an impossibly darkened abyss below)…afterwards, a zig-zag up-and-down another set of tunnels, (north, west, west, northeast, west again… then east at least six more times…). Finally, panting, the Thyrnn rests her arm against a roughly carved wooden barricade, wiping the sweat from her brow as she waits for the sluggish S-T-G and Pridi to catch up with her…

    Pridi, fins bristling and throat burbling anxiously, is near ecstatic to catch up with Eiko, and circles her waist like a dog asserting ownership! S-T-G is far more reserved and professional: the Otter puts a frustrated fingertip to his whiskered lips, his other hand circling in a motion to denote the whole cave system as general “big trouble”. A confused but apologetic Eiko nods slowly, torn between her natural excitement, and the expectations of her new companion…

    The Watchers and their fish friend catch a brief rest between the wooden walls, worriedly taking in their surroundings. Immediately, both can make out the sounds of running water directly to the east of here, and a hint of sunlight reflects off frond leaves (each nearly the size of a small Kin) growing at the end of the same tunnel. But the Otter soon takes note of more pressing concerns: the sounds of marching feet, and quiet but firm voices, coming from both sides of the wooden barricades to the north and south of here. His ears perking up, S-T-G, leans over and places his head against the wood, trying to make out both conversations at once as best he can:

    “…and with the alarms all the time…”

    “...didn’t know there’d be such generous pickins’…”

    “...to positions…hear next bunch are already down the overhang…”

    “...King strikes again! I swear, ever since…”

    “...gonna put these two meanwhile?…”


    Catching her friend’s intention and leaning over upon the other wooden wall, Eiko strains to get a better listen. The Thyrnn presses herself firmly against the planks…then there’s a cracking noise, low at first, but begins to grow all around…S-T-G, trained instincts two-steps ahead of his brain, leaps back away from the wooden walls…

    A loud *snap* sounds overhead, and the barricades to the north and south each fall over, smashing into the rock ground below! A pair of armed strangers north, and five more to the south, gawk at the sudden destruction, and the appearance of a sheepish looking Thyrnn in their midst. But before the two groups have even properly registered each other, the lanterns which had hung from the barricades *BURST* into flames against the wood, the kerosene soaked walls catching unnaturally fast! Within a few scant seconds, Eiko has been wreathed in fire, and smoke begins to fill the passageways!…


    Eiko
    You’re currently trapped in a building ring of heat! To the East of you: the sounds of rushing water, Pridi, S-T-G. To the West of you: the tunnel you came in at, already filling with smoke. To your North: two armed and angry looking gentleman, taken by surprise at the destruction. To your South: five similar, people looking very surprised at the sudden flames

    Swims-to-Glory
    You and Pridi have a clear path to the East between here and what looks to be the “spout” of the waterslide…but careless Eiko is quickly becoming enwreathed in flames! Return from whence you both came (to the West) would be possible, but certainly foolish (that smoke is going to fill the tunnels you came down within a minute, tops). To your North: two armed ruffians, clearly some sort of Bandits or Highwaymen. To your South look to be three more of the same, but these Bandits seem to have two prisoners with them as well, both badly beaten. One of the prisoners is wrapped in rough grey linens from head to toe, like dirty bandages all over their body, only exposed above the neck; the other person, nearly nude, is clothed in bark and leaves, soot and patches of fur, teeth and bone…

    Thyrnn and Otterkin: the fires build with a *quickness*. How do you choose to proceed?

    mrpaku on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Glal, I have no clever plan, is there something you wanted to try first?

    mrpaku: Slightly confused at one thing: Eiko was with Pridi and Swims-To-Glory, no? So how is the tunnel she came in at opposite of where they are?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Swims was going to pick up Eiko bodily and leap into the waterslide with her, however he is out of effort, so he can neither lead a team action, nor offer aid. You okay if he just yeets her into the waterslide and jumps in after her?

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    mrpaku: Slightly confused at one thing: Eiko was with Pridi and Swims-To-Glory, no? So how is the tunnel she came in at opposite of where they are?[/i]

    OK, the way I'm picturing the scene: *(lemme know if this makes sense!) Eiko, S-T-G, and Pridi entered their current area (like a four way stop inside the caverns, north and south cut off/covered up by slatted wood) from up that eastern tunnel, and were all three more or less in the same location while "eavesdropping" on the groups you heard on the other side of those wooden barricades, with the water slide able to be heard down a further (but within sight) western tunnel

    When the (not as sturdy as they might've originally looked) wooden walls caved in after the Thrynn leaned on them a bit too hard, Swims-to-Glory, "trained instincts two-steps ahead of his brain, leaps back away from the wooden walls" and got him and Pridi a few steps down the western tunnel towards the slide ahead of the collapse, currently out of enemy sight but *already* breathing in smoke, and their friend in mortal peril (roll of a 4). Meanwhile, Eiko in *causing* the accident, froze up completely, the north and south "walls" (probably twelve by twelve foot) collapsed to either side of her and burst into flame, she's now exposed to likely-dangerous strangers both north *and* south of her, and the flames are starting to encircle her (but haven't *yet*) because of spilled gas along the tunnels (seemed appropriate for roll of a 1!)

    Does that answer your question? I can definitively draw a map, if you'd like!

  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    mrpaku wrote: »
    @AustinP0027 and @jdarksun , when you say “Main Path”, do you mean *this* one, or a different passage?

    - A pair of stick figures, walking a winding path, stalagmites growing up all around then. 600 feet down. Seems like the main thoroughfare through the cave system: takes you most of the way down without needing to scale vertical walls, and it’s likely the most well travelled of the group.

    This was the one I was thinking, yes.

    AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Eirlys: Sneak, Traverse, or Excel roll as you and Embergaze both make your way down the thoroughfare! B)

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Swims was going to pick up Eiko bodily and leap into the waterslide with her, however he is out of effort, so he can neither lead a team action, nor offer aid. You okay if he just yeets her into the waterslide and jumps in after her?

    I can Aid for one Boon!

    mrpaku, I understand now, thanks! Didn't catch that S-T-G jumped forward.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    No worries, he's good at Excel, I'm more concerned that Eiko probably cannot Study or Smash safely down the water slide, so probably best she save the effort to push the relevant skill. :D

    @mrpaku I'd guess that STG could either use Command to buy Eiko some time distracting the guards, or Excel to make his way down the slide safely, and the choice determines the consequences for failure (gets hurt by the guards escaping, gets all battered going down) getting away?

    Also, would he get a Bonus for going down the slide for being an otter? ;)

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    mrpaku I'd guess that STG could either use Command to buy Eiko some time distracting the guards, or Excel to make his way down the slide safely, and the choice determines the consequences for failure (gets hurt by the guards escaping, gets all battered going down) getting away?

    This is correct!
    Also, would he get a Bonus for going down the slide for being an otter? ;)

    ....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoFOdDAN3pY

    Why yes, yes you can! :)

  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Swims-to-Glory quickly assesses the situation, pulling a piece of cloth out of a pouch and placing it over his nose. Five guards, two prisoners, the thrynn exposed and surrounded by fire. Three of guards might be reluctant to leave their prisoners, so probably two guards in a fight, with ranged support from the others.

    Never been terribly fond of fire, and being stuck with it in a cave only makes it worse. Well. She brought it on herself, right? He turns to head to the waterslide and almost walks right into the koi who watches him silently. He shrugs, then rolls his eyes, "Ma si tečen danes..."

    The otter walks back up where he'd just came from, enough so he's visible to everyone, his voice artificially made into a loud boom by the cavern walls, "I'm breaking the back of the first person to come at us and leaving them alive! There may be more of you... but one of you will have to be the first." He makes a subtle Come, Come gesture at Eiko; he'd only bought some time here.

    Geth roll 3d6k1 for Imposing Otter

    Imposing Otter:
    3d6k1 4 [3d6k1=[4], 3, 2]

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    @kime , what's Eiko doing at this moment?

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Eiko stands up unsteadily and brushes herself off. "So, umm... hello." She waves hesitantly at the newly exposed people, and starts inching her way over towards the westward exit. He best idea is to try and just throw out a blast of Aether to try and scatter all the wood and oil from the entrance, but she's not going to do that while Swims-to-Glory and Pridi are right on the other side too. So, if nothing else changes and the newcomers don't try to stop her, she may just try and jump through the flames quickly. Getting to the water is probably the best thing to do if you're on fire!

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    With her feet on solid ground, Eirlys darted along with Embergaze. The aging Lopen didn't say as much to her companion, but she hoped to make it through - safely! - before the pair who ran off down a side passage.


    Geth, roll 1d6 for Traverse

    Traverse:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Eiko/Swims-to-Glory

    The surrounding strangers (dirty, tattooed and scarred, the lot of them) all simply gawk for a silent moment at the Thrynn, the lass slowly standing up and attempting to slink away from the carnage she had wrought. The roughnecks are still half in shock and distracted by the flames quickly spreading about their feet, but already weapons (a chain-rope here; a spear over there; a sword at a hip and a rifle from a sling…) are being wordlessly drawn, when Swims strides forward into the smoke and heat, a chilling coldness to the Otter’s tone as he issues a cold promise of violence to the room.

    The words sink in as the fire hisses and licks the gas stained cave floor. “Bloody-hell!” roars one of the large brutes to the north, a Trogg with a shaggy black mohawk, chipped teeth, and clutching a dangerous-looking hook. “How’ve they already sent the Blades?! We’re under attack, m’boys! Don’t let them prisoners escape!

    The next ten seconds are a *mess* of shouts, fire, and blood!:
    - The mohawked Trogg’s companion (his exact twin, were the brute not short a left eye, and bald) leaps in to meet the Otter’s challenge, slugging him across the face with a strong right cross!

    - Two of the roughs to the south *bash* their prisoners back down the hall with fists and feet, while the third (a curly haired Thrynn with a grim look, and a single, golden tooth), chuckling darkly, moves forward to smack S-T-G with the butt of his gun!

    -Still reeling from the first blow, Swims sees the next coming, and ducks at the very last second…the back of the rifle connects with the bald Trogg’s skull, sending him flying back with a cry of pain!

    - Taking advantage of the opportunity provided by the Otter, Eiko moves to push Pridi east, towards the sound of rushing water. Then, turning back towards her companion, she notices a wooden barrel whistling in, and moves to pull S-T-G back from the hurled object!…

    -...during the melee, the mohawked Trogg, in a misguided attempt to quell the fire, had produced a barrel of water from somewhere nearby. Thinking himself clever, he attempted to “kill two birds with one stone” by breaking the barrel against the Otter’s body, hoping the ensuing splash would extinguish the blaze…

    -...instead, the barrel splits to pieces amongst the wooden wreckage, and a few dozen splashes of molten embers explode all about the caves! The Thyrnn assaulting S-T-G is knocked to the ground, fully engulfed! S-T-G and Eiko, coughing smoke, bat a handful of glowing embers from their hair and fur…

    - The bald Trogg, bellowing, charges in mad and half-lit, a spear spinning wildly above his head! With a deft crouch and flick of his leg, Swims-to-Glory catches the charging bull by the ankle, tripping him headfirst into the water and smoke! The brute’s interrupted momentum spins him a hundred and eighty degrees in the air, throws him a dozen feet away, and he lands unnaturally on the stone floor! From the sound’s of the thug’s screams, S-T-G just broke the Trogg’s back…

    - Outside the circle of fire to the south, the two prisoners have taken their captors by surprise, overcoming them in the ensuing struggle! Now, the odd pair wrestle with their bonds, one with her teeth, the other attempting to free himself with his jailer’s knife….


    A Hard Choice

    S-T-G and Eiko…a moment of decision!

    The enemy around you have been subdued or impeded (for now), and you can make your way unhindered east towards the slide! Or…do you attempt to rescue one or more of the prisoners (the captured and cloaked Churner, or the near-naked “Child of the Roots”) from this place before you depart?

    - You can leave here and take the water exit right now, no roll, the both of you- you’ll get down safely into the basin, although maybe not with a clean conscience…
    - Your PC may stay and try to rescue *one* of the prisoners to take with you, but not both without a push (Excel, Command, Traverse, whatever you’d use to rescue and escape here…a Risky decision!)
    - You may *both* stay, and try to rescue *both* prisoners to take with you. Heroic, yes…but foolish…?

    For maximum PC drama potential, please post the decision of who you choose to save (or if you don’t!) behind spoilers!

Sign In or Register to comment.