Options

[Tabletop Games] Fourth Edition Clocks

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Honestly I'm just shocked by two people in the same room remembering that druidic is a thing in the first place

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I mean, if anyone is going to remember that Druidic is a thing, it's people who know that Greyhawk is a thing

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Anti-Sean wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Alright, playing my DnD game and I was hoping you guys could settle something.

As a druid, Is revealing a druidic language even exists at all some sort of major faux pas?

Another player got annoyed at me like I was the biggest dumbass and he couldn't believe I just did that and I was like "oh my god..who cares?".

You would think I was handing out mountains of pamphlets teaching people how to speaking it from the way they reacted.

Feels ridiculous.

Tbh without knowing anything about your game and it's setting/lore this is completely contextless as to be meaningless.

The real issue seems to be you've got a brewing inter personal conflict going, and that's not really something you can sort in-game. Better to try and talk it out with the player, or bring it up with your DM to arbitrate.

That player seems to have some set beliefs, and handled stuff in a less than fun fashion for you
    Its the greyhawk setting but neither him or I super familar with it to be honest so I was looking for sort of a "druids in dnd in general" second opinion on it.

Me and him actually get along fine for the most part. Whole group is pretty chill.

Hopefully you can resolve this; it would be a shame for the other player to miss the forest for the trees.

Is the other player also a Druid?
    Because if he is, then you should play this out in character. One old school secret hermit type druid, one more progressive everyone should know about nature druid.

If he isn't, then point out that his character shouldn't have known enough to even know that they don't know.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Honestly I'm just shocked by two people in the same room remembering that druidic is a thing in the first place

My best friend and I were in one game where we both played druids and were also best friends in-game. We were constantly sort of sending each other "notes" in druidic, but as like, arrangements of little stones outside one's tent in the morning, or whispering a message to the wind that would carry it to the other nearby, or whistling our message to some nearby birds who would pick up on it and start whistling it and others would catch on until eventually my friend would hear it too and recognize it as a druidic message. Not, like, the spells Message or Sending or whatever, and not usually anything super important because we weren't metagaming or anything. Just trying to do something small and neat and cute. We also had a long list of sort of druidish idioms and such I got from a creator on Instagram, which wasn't part of the druidic language but just some flavorful ways of talking (like "joining the chorus of worms" to talk about the natural process of returning dead things to nature, ie decomposition). Those we didn't use too much for fear of being too in-your-face about being tree hugging hippies and everyone else being like, "We get it, you're druids, jeez" lol

Speaking of languages, today's session was in our Waterdeep Dragon Heist campaign and we headed to Skullport. Cool place, very spooky and dangerous-feeling, and yet we somehow managed to fit in or at least not make any enemies so far. My cheerful teenage girl wizard/cleric even made some friends with random goblins in a bar and got some information out of them (and drinks). The DM told me, "You speak an academic form of Goblin, but y'all easily understand each other" and it really cracked the entire table up for some reason.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    Secret/less known languages are totally my shit. I am the sad act who will take a lingusitiscs skill or whatever if its available

I played in a sci-fi game where one of the corporations was paranoid and-or insane enough to have their own language, Dualist, and on a whim I took that skill on level up and freaked out our handler when I understood what he was muttering about. Worth it

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2023
    I've never played a ttrpg where the gm wanted to deal with languages at all, alas

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I've never played a ttrpg where the gm wanted to deal with languages at all, alas

Then it is your duty to bring Dialect to the table.
    Dialect is a game about an isolated community, their language, and what it means for that language to be lost. In this game, you’ll tell the story of the Isolation by building their language. New words will come from the fundamental aspects of the community: who they are, what they believe in, and how they respond to a changing world.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've been trying to bring Dialect to my table for so long but it is one of those games that interests me and maybe one of my regular players and slides off everyone else like a wet duck.

• Options
    Gonna be honest that sounds heavy and depressing as fuuuuuuck

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gonna be honest that sounds heavy and depressing as fuuuuuuck

Yeah it's not a thing you casually pitch for a one-shot when nobody had anything prepped.

• Options
    I miss endless serpents :(

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Also I can't believe he missed that discussion about his favorite thing, clocks

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm rereading Stephen King's Dark Tower series for the first time in about 15 years or so, and it's got me in the mood for some Weird West/post apocalyptic atomic Western style stuff. Not sure what game would best fit that vibe, but I have a mighty hankering.

• Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I'm rereading Stephen King's Dark Tower series for the first time in about 15 years or so, and it's got me in the mood for some Weird West/post apocalyptic atomic Western style stuff. Not sure what game would best fit that vibe, but I have a mighty hankering.

Well, tarnation! If Deadlands ain’t the grandpappy of Weird West settings, then I’ve been dadgum hornswoggled!

‘Deadlands: The Weird West’ is the latest version, compatible with Savage Worlds Adventure Edition. Deadlands: Hell on Earth updates the setting to a post-apocalyptic vibe, but it’s compatible with a previous Savage Worlds edition (Deluxe); I’d imagine that converting it to SWADE compatibility wouldn’t be too tricky.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I've been trying to bring Dialect to my table for so long but it is one of those games that interests me and maybe one of my regular players and slides off everyone else like a wet duck.
    I kinda feel like I got Dialect and Sign just to look at them occasionally and sigh wistfully.

Anyway, gonna check this out later:
    https://seannittner.com/actual-play-thieves-cant-3112017/
    BitD + Dialect actual play!

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

My new Ars Magica group are experiencing the joy of having a party face that doesn't speak English (they'll have one once the player who was ill can attend the next session)

She does have the ability to talk to animals, though, so most of the intel from last session came from the NPC's horses - which, considering that the session antagonist was only visible to horses, was a happy accident

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    One of my DMs loves messing with it (they're a writer, so it makes sense) and it can be interesting, but also kind of a hassle.

In one campaign every major city had their own language and your intelligence score determined how many languages your character knew, so my (strength primary) Rogue spent half the campaign in a city where she needed someone with her to do anything without it devolving into a game of Charades. Funny, but gets old when you go shopping for the 5th time. On the other hand, we came up with a Guild Language for our group and decided to indicate we were using it with Monthy Python-esque Outrageous French Accents, that was *chef kiss*

In a couple of others they simply used it as a "this is a forgotten language you cannot learn, not even with magic" mystery hook, which is fine, even if it makes language-related skills and magic feel pointless.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I like Mythras's thing where it's 25% thresholds on knowledge (25% is broken but passable, 50% is fluent, 75% is formal etc etc)

But also it's very valuable that you passively gain language as a skill if you're in a place for a while and that the GM can declare languages close enough to kinda count.

EG: Most of my group are fluent in the foreign sun empire's language. The one who isn't though still gets to be passable but broken/slow translations based on how closed his native tongue is.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I like ICON basically going there's not much, but there is the pathfinder's colortounge ability, so you can have a player play translator/i know the linguistics if you want. But that's a very narrative permission to be awesome type thing. (And, arguably, works best in the sort of default setting icon's going with, where there's tons of ruins literally sprouting up, churner barons might have their own thieves cant, demons may or may not be able to be talked too, etc.

Meanwhile, FF14's announced it's own offical TTRPG. Which is, uh, a thing! Very few details, but it looks chunky and seems to be usingat least d20s and d6s.

Curious to see how it'll stack up against Fabula Ultima (Which is another ttprg i need to look into and hear good things about)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The ff14 ttrpg thing looks like licensed garbage at first blush with no further information than "it has dice!"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The ff14 ttrpg thing looks like licensed garbage at first blush with no further information than "it has dice!"

I woulda said "Complicated" from what i've seen. Beyond that I'm going to reserve judgement until i have actual information. Could be cool! Could be a total disaster! Seems like it's been a passion project for someone (Because tbh, "highly in depth tabletop version of mmo" dosent seem like it happens as a cash grab)

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

I woulda said "Complicated" from what i've seen. Beyond that I'm going to reserve judgement until i have actual information. Could be cool! Could be a total disaster! Seems like it's been a passion project for someone (Because tbh, "highly in depth tabletop version of mmo" dosent seem like it happens as a cash grab)

The only actual mechanics we've seen of it so far are... Now, from Yoshi-P's character sheet we can glean some more details - or, well, we can see that it's literally just D&D 5E with some added bells and whistles.
    • Stats? STR, DEX, VIT, INT, MND, CHA. It's the MMO stats plus Charisma, which conveniently maps onto 5E.
    • Saving throws? By stat. Level 5 Black Mage gets +3 to INT/MND, and glancing at the 5E Player's Handbook we can see that the level 5 Wizard gets... +3 to INT/WIS saves.
    • Skills? Literally just the 5E list.
    • To hit? 1d20+7... which presumably is +4 INT, +3 proficiency bonus.
    • AC? 13, which presumably is 10+proficiency bonus. (Maybe +DEX, where the Black Mage has +0. Likely the Warrior and Dragoon get an armor bonus.)
    • Initiative? +0, presumably because +0 DEX.
    • Movement speed? Five squares, which maps nicely onto a halfling's 25 feet.
    • HP? 33 at level 5 with +1 VIT, which makes me think that Black Mage probably has d8 hit dice.
    There's also a new mystery stat, Direct Hit, which (with MMO knowledge) probably means that if they roll 15+ on their attack roll then they get some bonus damage. There's also MP, which I'd assume is universal to all jobs and seems to have a tiny max of just 5 (with two points recovering each turn).

It's not just 5E, though, as the actual class (or, well, Job) is pretty distinct from 5E and a direct adaptation from the MMO.
    • Passives:
      • When you cast ice spells you get extra MP regen.
      • When you cast fire spells you get extra damage on the next spell.
      • When you cast Freeze, your next three fire spells cost 1 less to cast.
    • Spells:
      • Blizzard spells: level 1 can be cast twice, level 2 is AOE (save vs. half) and gives three stacks of ice, level 3 does big damage and gives three stacks of ice.
      • Fire spells: as blizzard spells, but you can't move when casting Fire 3.
      • Thunder spells: 3-damage DOT, that but AOE, 6-damage DOT. All save-or-hurt, last until they save a second time.
      • Freeze: Can only be cast after blizzard spells, next three fire spells are cheaper.
      • Flare: Spend all your MP for big damage AOE, but you can't move.
      • Sleep: AOE save-or-sleep.
      • Scathe: boring but reliable 2d6 damage with no flares or whistles.
    • Bonus actions:
      • Transpose: Turn all your fire stacks into ice or vice versa, once per... phase? Might be per encounter, who knows.
      • Manafont & Lucid Dreaming: refill your MP. 1/phase.
      • Aetherial Manipulation: Teleport five squares. 1/phase.
      • Addle: Target's next attack does -1 damage.
      • Surecast: I... think it's probably that you can't be moved until your next turn, like in the MMO? Probably negates knockback, draw-in etc. 1/phase.
    • Reaction actions:
      • Quickcast: I'm not sure, but I think it's that when an enemy moves away from you, you get to cast a spell targeting them? 1/phase
      • Manawall: When you take damage, you can spend your reaction and 1 MP to prevent 2 damage.
    Note that the level 1 Black Mage in the starter set pregens doesn't have all these spells and actions yet - they're just throwing out Fire/Blizzard 1 & 2. Also, the actual interesting gameplay considerations here come purely from Black Mage's signature specialty of managing your MP like a hawk to try to maximize your damage.

If this is just 5E, incidentally, then that means that the level 5 Black Mage can effectively just toss out at-will 9d6-damage Fireballs so long as they don't move. That seems pretty decent.
    Also, on the bright side, this means that it's probably fairly compatible with other 5E stuff numbers-wise and thus you have hundreds of ready-made monsters and adventures that you could throw your party into with only minimal tweaking. That's a huge upside for a game to have, and a big appeal of the OGL et. al.

Or, alternatively, that you can take all the monsters created for this game and plug them into your D&D 5E campaign with minimal tweaking. Let's see how that Paladin handles a Morbol.

• Options
    Hmm, if it's a 5E hack that's kinda interesting

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I want it. But then, I actually wrote and ran a Sastasha-themed dungeon for my D&D group this year.

I'm still working on its Tam-Tara sequel too! Trying to figure out how to add more noncombat stuff to do.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    So I stumbled upon a spoiler of Planescape ,the next campaign I'll be running after Dragonlance. Planescape comes out in October I believe and apparently reviewers have gotten a preview and oh man it sounds BONKERS. Don't continue if you're planning on getting Planescape as a player:
    Something is preventing souls from moving to the correct plane when they die, so they're just kind of all mashing together and randomly reincarnating. So through the course of levels 1 through 10 you encounter and play as 3 different incarnations of yourself. It didn't go into detail about how different the versions are, but it sounded as though your could potentially play 3 different classes. Then it jumps to level 17 as you merge all three into one mega incarnation.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Oh hey, turns out that the FFXIV TTRPG live stream last year also had (low-res) character sheets for a Scholar, Warrior, and Ninja.

So, keeping in mind that these are all outdated by more than a year and that Google Translate is even worse with low-res text...

Warrior
    • General:
      • AC is 19. 10 + 3 (proficiency) + 6 (armor), maybe? The Ninja doesn't seem to get his +4 DEX bonus.
      • Direct Hit is 14, so higher than Black Mage.
      • Movement is 6 squares, confirming that Lalafell are Halflings.
      • Saving throw proficiencies are STR/VIT, skills are Athletics, Sleight of Hand, Nature, History, Survival.
      • MP is NOT universal - Warrior just gets IB (Inner Beast) - probably just Beast Gauge or something in English, though, for Reasons.
    • Passives:
      • Tank Mastery: 2x HP. (Notably this means that without it the Warrior with its +4 VIT would have less HP than the Black Mage with +1 VIT.)
      • Defiance: When you attack someone, they become hostile to you until the end of your next turn. They also get disadvantage when attacking anyone that's not you, and... I think you get advantage on saves against their effects? It's a tank stance and a half, anyhow. Good stuff.
      • Surging Tempest(?): You get to reroll 1s and 2s once. 5E's Fighter gets this on Great Weapon Fighting, but here it seems to be any die? I think you get this buff from an attack, so it's not really got out-of-combat uses.
    • Actions:
      • Weaponskill Combo (Heavy Swing+Maim->Inner Beast): Hit someone for 1d10+3 (presumably d6s in the final game), +2 damage if you spend 5IB. You then get to use, as the same action...
        • Storm's Path: 1d10+3 damage, +3IB, and heal 3xRevenge HP. What's "Revenge"? I dunno.
        • Storm's Eye: 1d10+3 damage, +2IB, you get Surging Tempest until the end of your next turn.
      • Overpower: 3x3 AOE around you, all enemies VIT save vs. 1d10 damage. You also get to use...
        • Mythril Tempest->Steel Cyclone: 3x3 AOE around you, save vs. 1d10 damage. You can spend 5IB to do +2 damage. You get Surging Tempest, and +1IB.
      • Tomahawk: Ranged attack. 1d10+3. Yeah, it's not particularly memorable in the game either.
      • Low Blow: 4 damage. VIT save vs... going prone, I think? Maybe stun, like in FFXIV? It's got a 1/phase cooldown, anyhow.
      • Thrill of Battle: Heal 1d10HP, halve damage received until the end of your next turn.
    • Bonus Actions:
      • Holmgang: When your HP becomes lower than 0, it becomes 1. 1/phase.
      • Rampart+Reprisal: You and all your allied in a 5x5 area get... a 3-point barrier, I guess. Might be temporary HP? 1/phase.
      • Arm's Length: Until the end of your next turn, you can't be moved. 1/phase.
      • Infuriate: +5IB. 1/phase.
    • Reaction actions:
      • Attack of Opportunity: When someone moves away from you, you get to use your weaponskill combo. Notably you don't get to do the second attack, though. (Also this made me realize that they mechanically translated Black Mage's Quickcast as AoO. Wow.)
      • Provoke: When an enemy within 12 square attacks someone else, they become hostile to you. 1/phase.
      • Interject: When an adjacent enemy starts to cast a spell, they get disadvantage if it requires an attack roll and everyone gets advantage against saving against the spell. 1/phase.
      • Vengeance: When you take damage from an adjacent enemy, you deal 1d10 damage to them.
      • Berserk: When you take damage, you gain Surging Tempest until the end of your next turn.
    In summary: you have a basic 1-2 combo where you choose between more damage and healing, a basic 1-2 AOE combo, and then a bunch of more situational abilities to make you better at tanking.

...I won't write them up because that was more involved than I expected, but:
    Ninja is fast and stealthy and takes less fall damage. It's got a basic 1d6+4 1-2 combo that becomes 4d6+4 with Trick Attack stuff, and then they've got all their Ninjutsu which trigger various cooldowns for ninjutsu as a whole. Be sneaky, stab people.
    Scholar was completely butchered by Google Translate, but it's similar to the game: Bio is a DOT, Ruin II is direct damage, most important abilities are dedicated to the healing, your fairy can probably carry most of it by itself with what looks like 4HP Physick, and you've got a dedicated auto-attack for piddly damage in case you want to save MP.

Overall it seems like an accurate simulation of the game, for good and for ill.
    Ianator wrote: »
    I want it. But then, I actually wrote and ran a Sastasha-themed dungeon for my D&D group this year.

I'm still working on its Tam-Tara sequel too! Trying to figure out how to add more noncombat stuff to do.
    I feel like the obvious take for Tam-Tara is to lean into the whole Lambs of Dalamud cult thing and have more stuff to do with the ritual and rosary and whatnot. It's still fundamentally an area where everyone is going to be hostile and probably attack on sight, so social stuff isn't likely, but you can definitely up the more exploratory aspect - it is a Gelmorran ruin, after all.
    Maybe throw in some bits of Toto-Rak and make it more of a maze. If nothing else, between the two dungeons you'll get four relatively solid boss fights!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Wifey has been back on marvel champions lately so I took the plunge to get us on Earthborne Rangers, a very promising-looking co op card game about exploring nature in the future.

https://earthbornegames.com/

The kickstarter is over but Team Covenant has orders open and fulfilling by the end of the year, so i’m hopeful to get it quickly as KS backers are getting tracking numbers and such. I missed the chance to get the play mats though.

Art looks nice, the theme seems cool, the overall vibe seems very laid back. It doesn’t seem like a high stress high optimization type game. I like it that you create a dude via deck building and change your dude over a campaign.

https://youtu.be/XoxYHP2PG8E

• Options
    Update to the FFXIV TTRPG stuff: someone took a photo of what they had at TGS, which includes a character sheet for the pregen Warrior!
    One Google Translate later, it's obvious that a lot has change. It's still 1d20 vs. DC to hit and you've still got a action/"bonus" action/reaction setup, but the damage numbers are way lower (2 damage! +1d6 on "crit"!), the tank stance is gone and instead you just need to rely on your AOE to grab aggro, and... well, it seems a bit more distinct.

It's hard to tell the complexity level, though, because this is clearly a low-level character (although it says that it's "level 30", which who knows what that means when in that live play "level 50" was level 5)

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that in this "2 damage, 1d6+2 on a crit" landscape we're not going to see the Black Mage vomit 9d6 onto the table, though - and that helps explain why each DPS only gets two d6 in the box.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    I kinda feel like I got Dialect and Sign just to look at them occasionally and sigh wistfully.

This is me with about 99% of my RPGs. At least they're pretty, mostly!

• Options
    The history thread in Debate and Discourse has been talking about weapons and armour in DnD. This lead me to end up reading up on the history of crossbows (wow, do they go further back than I thought).

Which lead me to this fantastic little chunk of Vietnamese mythology:

"According to this legend, when the citadel was being built, all the work done was mysteriously undone by a group of spirits led by thousand-year-old white chicken seeking to avenge the son of the previous king. In response to the king's plea, a giant golden turtle suddenly emerged from the water, and protected the King until the citadel's completion. The turtle gave the King one of his claws before leaving and instructed him to make a crossbow using it as a trigger, assuring him he would be invincible with it. A man called Cao Lỗ (or Cao Thông) was tasked to create that crossbow. It was then called "Saintly Crossbow of the Supernaturally Luminous Golden Claw" (靈光金爪神弩; SV: Linh Quang Kim Trảo Thần Nỏ); one shot could kill 300 men."

That's some good shit right there, that is

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Ran into a spot of trouble in our Starfinder attack of the swarm campaign.

An NPC that we let go in the past came back to screw us over.

You see what happens when you don't let the lawful evil party member strangle people to death?! DO YOU SEE?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular

You see what happens when you don't let the lawful evil party member strangle people to death?! DO YOU SEE?

The orphanage continues operations, happily homing children with the paladin's alms?

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

Look, you gotta also be the guy that leaves rooms last to secure loot and stuff. It’s important to secure your parties safety without them getting to disagree with you.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I have been thinking up character concepts because I'm extra anxious lately and it distracts me

identical twins, they're in a fire and one of them dies, but can't bear to be separated from her sister, so Warlock with a homebrew Ghost Patron

living sister probably has severe burns and when she does Warlock stuff, you see glimpses of her sister, still smoldering, behind her

• Options
    I do that kind of thing too, character concepts and setting and adventure ideas.

Former notorious martial artist in retirement/hiding as a servant, lady-in-waiting or butler with a shadowy past and a one-inch punch. Driven to adventure again by some tragic event befalling their house, but maintaining the mask of being a refined servant.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Currently developing the next mission for my players - the bookworm has acquired what's supposedly a draft of the next entry of a famous author's series, but he deciphered a secret plea for help in the typos.

A keep has been converted into a publishing company's main office, and the inner courtyard turned into a small village taking advantage of fans of the company's output. Turns out the company has turned the author into an immortal (maybe a lich, but without the cool shit?), forcing him to write for them forever.

• Options
    Currently developing the next mission for my players - the bookworm has acquired what's supposedly a draft of the next entry of a famous author's series, but he deciphered a secret plea for help in the typos.

A keep has been converted into a publishing company's main office, and the inner courtyard turned into a small village taking advantage of fans of the company's output. Turns out the company has turned the author into an immortal (maybe a lich, but without the cool shit?), forcing him to write for them forever.

Depending on how depressing you wanna get...

Demi-Liches don't have to be the skull. They can be any body part that various gems have been socketed into.

Including a lonely skeletal hand, chained to a desk in a tiny room, with just enough space to write...

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I got to pull a demi lich on my players this past week.

Top ten gaming moment when I had them all in the room, they are inspecting a skull on a pedestal, much like a room full of flame skulls they had encountered earlier in the dungeon. I get initiative recorded (cause we’re in a place where every room outside of two are very obviously fights) and then go on to describe what they are seeing.

“So you’ve got a skull on a pedestal like before except with 3 key differences you notice. 1 it’s not on fire, 2 there’s no arcane symbols on the floor acting as the trap to have it attack, 3 it has gems for eyes”

All my players “Oh no!”

“Everyone roll a con save as the skull floats and screams”

Their Druid fails the save and hits the deck.

The bard/paladin that was inspecting the pedestal “hey I’m gonna try to grapple this thing in my cloak, yeah I know I have disadvantage too all of this”

And that’s how my players ended up with a bunch of Demi lich pieces in a bindle. Cutting its line of sight by putting it on the sack made it a 3 round fight where we almost felt bad for the Demi lich getting smote in a bag like some kinda weird hazing.

I managed to carve some hit points off of the fighter/warlock and there’s only like 3 guys on the planet with greater restoration so that’s gonna last at least a little while. So mission accomplished.

Can’t wait for ‘em to deal with the insane lich in the next room.
    And then the Demi lich again in 3 more days when it reassembles in the bag

Sleep on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Depending on how depressing you wanna get...

Demi-Liches don't have to be the skull. They can be any body part that various gems have been socketed into.

Including a lonely skeletal hand, chained to a desk in a tiny room, with just enough space to write...

jesus christ

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    my friends and I were talking about one of our old high school friends travels around and makes a living as a "tooth artist" who like, glues, I assume, gemstones and designs on people's teeth.

hey man, go for your look I guess, but we're all convinced she's making demi-liches