[Tabletop Games] Fourth Edition Clocks

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    Update on the Star Wars rip off:
    • We have reached the Death Star. Sorry, the "Star Crusher"
    • My players 100% know what I'm doing
    • Plot train ain't stopping

Isn't the "Star Crusher" already a thing in Star Wars?

"Sun Crusher" I thought. Very different.

Celestial Body Squeezer What Extinguishes The Light In a Solar System has a ring to it, though.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

Celestial Body Squeezer What Extinguishes The Light In a Solar System has a ring to it, though.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Anyways, adapting stuff into a D&D campaign is usually super fun so I bet the players are having a blast.

I did Battlestar Galactica except with Warforged once and it was extremely silly. One of my players approached me after session three and was like "Hey, are you doing Battlestar Galactica?"
    And I responded, "Yes, and congratulations, you're a secret warforged agent; here are your instructions to sabotage the party without getting caught."

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Anyways, adapting stuff into a D&D campaign is usually super fun so I bet the players are having a blast.

I did Battlestar Galactica except with Warforged once and it was extremely silly. One of my players approached me after session three and was like "Hey, are you doing Battlestar Galactica?"
    And I responded, "Yes, and congratulations, you're a secret warforged agent; here are your instructions to sabotage the party without getting caught."

lol, you’ve solved the puzzle, now you’re in on the bit. That’s so good.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Star Wars can't not make knockoff Death Stars

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Fusion-Based Planet Unaliver

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Hey nerds.

https://cohost.org/belarius/post/6677850-architectural-cross

This is a link to a beautiful, in depth look at a cross section of the Kowloon Walled city. Perfect fodder for well, all sorts of ttrpg things.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    damn, finally something cool on cohost!

(that was a joke nobody kill me)

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Hey nerds.

https://cohost.org/belarius/post/6677850-architectural-cross

This is a link to a beautiful, in depth look at a cross section of the Kowloon Walled city. Perfect fodder for well, all sorts of ttrpg things.

The closest humanity has ever come to the megastructure in Blame!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kowloon walled city was the visual inspiration for a lot of science fiction super dense megacity slum type things, probably that one too

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    That stuff is why I ended up picking up City Of Darkness Revisited a few years back, it's gorgeous.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That said, it's not really that close to BLAME's megastructure

It hasn't even enveloped the sun

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I like BLAME!, I’d love to own it all.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I like BLAME!, I’d love to own it all.

Can highly recommend the Master Edition of the manga.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited July 5
    This made it's way to a Discord I'm on:

https://x.com/gshowitt/status/1808450886420545883?t=PwsTFSbGCubSFhxUePf5vw&s=19

"THERE BUT FOR THE GEESE OF GOD is a free one-page RPG where you, an archangel but also a fourth-century goose, must lead Martin of Tours to sainthood via a series of convoluted schemes."
    PDFs are linked in the thread.
    GRjn78-XkAA3_p1?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    “Feckless dullard chanced upon by destiny”

Baby they’re playing our song!

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    whuitxm183js.png

"Your jaws will eat a Perth? Well, they are certainly large enough to consume a city. Will it be the Perth in Scotland or the one in Australia?"

"...DOOM WAS TOLD PSYCHICS WERE SMART. DOOM WAS DECEIVED."

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Eyoooo, All The RPGs!

My copy of Koriko arrived today, and then we picked up our copy of Lancer at the gamestore! And for good measure, since my partner seemed interested, we got The Slow Knife while there.... I'm really hoping the game designer will get out another run of Artefact, and to then grab Bucket of Bolts at the same time because apparently I collect solo(able) games. Also because wanting Artefact backdoored me into getting Koriko :rotate:

Koriko (fulfilled / still available via Heart of the Deernicorn in the US, or digital copies at itch.io)
    https://mousehole.press/products/koriko-a-magical-year-boxed-edition

The Slow Knife, ie, The Count of Monte Cristo Your Friends
    https://mousehole.press/products/the-slow-knife-1

y'all know Lancer

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Someone on the boards a while ago posted about a program called Canvas of Kings, a neat little semi-procedural map-drawing program that is in early access.

I decided to take the plunge, and see if it could solve a map-making problem for an upcoming D&D session.

YEF8rpV.png

This is my first pass at Hierophant's Pledge, where my world's wilderfolk come together and observe the traditional ways and methods. Once a year, the sovereignties also send delegations, and there's a big celebration-slash-debate to decide if all of the civilized kingdoms and republics and whatnot are being nice enough to nature.

The north half of the map are the permanent camps of the various druid circles, surrounding a colossal circus-like tent where the uncommitted and initiates hang out. The middle ring are where the sovereign diplomats set up camp. Some camps are weirder than others (one grew a tree to hang out in). The southern end is a lake, a fighting pit circle (because the rule of law in nature sometimes means beating the shit out of your debate opponent), and a vast garden. The whole thing abuts a massive mountain cliff to the north, that eventually will house (probably on a new map) an underground complex.

This program is neat! The cool thing about it is that this map is actually scaled correctly; at full resolution, it's fekkin' massive at like 500x500 70 dpi 5-foot-squares big. It's giving me a warning the map is too big to export whole cloth, so I feel like I'm on the right track. And the program will let me slice up the image into however many arbitrary smaller maps I want, I just need to take the time to do it.

I hope it gets a bunch more assets, or at least some API or asset extensibility once the developer finally one-point-oh's the thing.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 6
    After owning it for over a year, my partner and I opened up my gifted copy of Terraforming Mars.

Hey, that's a fun board game! A bit complicated to understand, when perusing the game manual, but once we started playing it the game began to really lock into place.

My partner focused on expanding an empire via pets and easily beat me when we tallied up our victory points.

And that makes sense, because I was focused on creating as many oceans as possible. At the half-way point I recognized that my only pathway to victory was to start just purchasing two to three cities per generation, as I had pushed my corporation into amassing as much money as possible every production phase.

But I also continued to play cards tied to the oceans.

I even introduced fish to the red planet.

My ultimate goal? One this very good board game did NOT recognize?

I didn't want to be king of Mars. I didn't want to be emperor of Mars. I had another title in mind:
    726a306e-daee-4dac-baa5-32827fa1d9d2_text.gif

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Terraforming Mars is still in my top 3, it's just too much damn fun.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Three days left of Wasteland Degenerates.

We're approaching $9.5k from 412 backers. The projection thinger says we'll probably exceed $11k since a substantial percentage of business is done in the last 48 hours.

I'm just dreading the fulfillment phase. There are services you can use for that, but they eat into your profit, and I decided awhile ago that I wanted to do this first one myself.

Also I've bought more crowdfunded stuff in the past month than probably the last year because creator backers backing your project is a huge deal (your mailing lists get notified that you backed a project. Exalted Funeral backed mine and I got $1300 pledges in one day just from their list) and you want to build bridges to those people.

Also I got a job writing a solo-friendly adventure for Smörk Borg that may end up in their core book.

Somehow I became a moderately sized fish in a small pond very quickly. Huh.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Played my first game of Blood and Plunder today. Had a really good time, and gotta say, it has a well written rulebook with a great index. Made searching rules pretty simple.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited July 8
    Thawmus wrote: »

I'm about to play it right now! It, Scythe and Tapestry are the current board game night reigning champions

Edit: Decisive victory, yay!

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options

We're approaching $9.5k from 412 backers. The projection thinger says we'll probably exceed $11k since a substantial percentage of business is done in the last 48 hours.

I'm just dreading the fulfillment phase. There are services you can use for that, but they eat into your profit, and I decided awhile ago that I wanted to do this first one myself.

Also I've bought more crowdfunded stuff in the past month than probably the last year because creator backers backing your project is a huge deal (your mailing lists get notified that you backed a project. Exalted Funeral backed mine and I got $1300 pledges in one day just from their list) and you want to build bridges to those people.

Also I got a job writing a solo-friendly adventure for Smörk Borg that may end up in their core book.

This is rad. Congrats!

How does backing other crowdfunded stuff stuff work? You back them and hope they reciprocate (and then their followers get notified)?

• Options
    RawrBear wrote: »

This is rad. Congrats!

How does backing other crowdfunded stuff stuff work? You back them and hope they reciprocate (and then their followers get notified)?

Well if you are a creator on the platform in question (in my case BackerKit, because I apparently don't lie the free money from Kickstarter), it will notify the creator of a project you back and all of your followers. That creator might end up backing your project, but these things, as always, are often better off handled separately by colluding with other creators on other forums.

I had a guy doing a DCC project ask to do a mutual backing scheme, because he figured there would be a lot of overlap. I agreed because DIPLOMACY, but I think we each only got ONE backer from each other (there's a page where you can see referrals and how much they made you).

But I have been super vocal on Facebook (and sometimes in my project updates) about other 'borg projects, even cross platform (so I'm promoting Kickstarter stuff as well as BK), and the other creators who share the same groups often do the same. One project, HELLPOWER (The Boys, but Mörk Borg) netted me $230 from the creator just backing me at the digital tier (to trigger his mailing list) and mentioning me on Facebook, while the last Vast Grimm drop got me $850 from that 6,000-large mailing list and social media mentions.

There was a creator, a local Minneapolis guy, who declined to engage in this process and was barely halfway funded with less than two weeks left. The Smörk Borg guys approached him to do a reciprocal thing but he declined because he didn't want people to back other creators' projects and potentially not fund him for higher amounts. Well, we propped him up anyway, because a rising tide lifts all boats, and he scraped by with a successful campaign despite doing almost everything wrong (well, his book DID look cool). That MF is lucky that it's almost anathama for Mörk Borg creators to be assholes. I talked to him after and, after he unclenched, he admitted that he owed a lot to the community.

Indie games don't have Wizards of the Coast's millions in ad budgets; we basically only have each other, our reputations, and the quality of our work and corresponding hustle.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So we're gonna do a one shot this Wednesday and the guy running it said I could use some of Kobold Press' stuff if I wanted to. Instead of diving in with all third party everything, I'm just doing a mushroomfolk storm sorcerer. I can't seem to find any artwork I like of myconids or mushroomfolk or mushroom people or whatever other term I can think of. It's mostly either cute lil drawings or boring mushroom people that are too humanoid and not enough mushroom for my liking. I want something alien and fungal, not something that looks like a regular person with a skin condition and a big hat

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The myconids in BG3 did some really interesting design stuff, might be worth starting from there to look

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

I see ads for Wasteland Degenerates on Facebook! You're blowin' up!

• Options

I see ads for Wasteland Degenerates on Facebook! You're blowin' up!

I pay for those ads...I think they've almost roughly paid for themselves? We'll see how the final days go, but the exposure is probably more important in the long run than the actual sales from advertising.

The funny thing is that I managed to target a bunch of Wasteland Weekend people. One of the WW tribes is "The Degenerates," so I have a number of confused dudes and ladies who have profile pics looking like War Boys or Furiosa or whatnot. I'm like, "no, I'm not affiliated with you, but you're awesome!"

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    So we're gonna do a one shot this Wednesday and the guy running it said I could use some of Kobold Press' stuff if I wanted to. Instead of diving in with all third party everything, I'm just doing a mushroomfolk storm sorcerer. I can't seem to find any artwork I like of myconids or mushroomfolk or mushroom people or whatever other term I can think of. It's mostly either cute lil drawings or boring mushroom people that are too humanoid and not enough mushroom for my liking. I want something alien and fungal, not something that looks like a regular person with a skin condition and a big hat

I would search for Pathfinder Leshy art they have some very interesting examples of fungus leshy that look very neat.

• Options
    edited July 8
    kaid wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

I would search for Pathfinder Leshy art they have some very interesting examples of fungus leshy that look very neat.

Ooooo, leshy do look really interesting! But I still haven't found any art of them that quite does it for me.

I did find a neat picture of a mushroom thing that I could say is basically what I look like. I'm a small mushroom person who is sneaky, so maybe I'll tell the group to just imagine this picture but not so THICC and only like three and a half feet tall

92c4906f2c3482280789070b5a2ebde6--fantasy-monster-doodle-designs.jpg

edit: looking up the leshy led me to discover the conrasu who have a fucking rad visual design. I mean who wouldn't want to look like this?
    b2ljkgfqff7n.jpg
    0cnqwrfg2ydk.jpg

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I want to play a Conrasu so bad.

They feel like a real challenge, role-playing wise, which excites me a bunch.

From my brief exposure to them, I imagine I'd take a lot of inspiration from the Vorlons in Babylon 5.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 8
    I guess I like weird fuckin body designs. I once played a warforged who looked like the character Erra in Warframe. Really all of the sentient designs in that game crank my hog if you nahmsayin

edit: jesus christ I didn't realize the picture was so tall, my bad lol
    vtlurtmfu19d.jpg

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    One of my favorite Starfinder characters is a 1' long cuttlefish. She drove a tiny flying saucer with a fishbowl on top, and leaned out the top to fire her tiny electro-pistol with her little tentacles.

Starfinder is filled with weird little (and big!) guys.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

I'm about to play it right now! It, Scythe and Tapestry are the current board game night reigning champions

The expansions are all really good too. Thankfully two people in my group have full sets with all expansions and promo cards cause it can get pricey. But damn is a full game interesting.

Even with just the base set I would highly recomend using the option to draft cards each generation as well as drafting the starting hand of 10. Also draft preludes if you have that.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    So I’ve got game 1 of beast wing this week (after two session 0s), gotta finish a little bit of prep for the opening adventure, and fix up a couple rules. I got a specific request for a cooking related boon (and I really wanted to write one anyway) so I'm working on that, and I re-vamped one of the ships because it had a harpoon + grinder 1-2 punch thing going on that while thematically cool one of my players pointed out was going to be super impractical to pull off (and I kind of agree).

• Options

The expansions are all really good too. Thankfully two people in my group have full sets with all expansions and promo cards cause it can get pricey. But damn is a full game interesting.

Even with just the base set I would highly recomend using the option to draft cards each generation as well as drafting the starting hand of 10. Also draft preludes if you have that.

Yep! We play with all expansions except Turmoil and drafting. I will say that while I like all the xpacs they do sort of get away from the prime concert of Terraforming. Last night I won by a huge margin based entirely on victory points on card, I think I had 2 cities and 2 greenery tiles on the board.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Yep! We play with all expansions except Turmoil and drafting. I will say that while I like all the xpacs they do sort of get away from the prime concert of Terraforming. Last night I won by a huge margin based entirely on victory points on card, I think I had 2 cities and 2 greenery tiles on the board.

The drafting really makes the game better for anyone who has played even a couple of games. I was hesitant about Turmoil at first cause it seemed like it would add a lot of complexity, and I suppose it does, but it really adds a lot of interesting decisions as well.

What we do for setup is:

1) Deal everyone 2 companies, 4 preludes, 5 general cards. You can look at all these.
    2) Draft the 5 general cards to the left.
    3) Draft 5 more general cards to the right.
    4) Draft the preludes.
    5) Now everyone chooses 1 company, 2 preludes (of the 4 they drafted) and however many of the 10 general cards they drafted which they want to pay for.

Then at the start of each generation we deal everyone 4 cards and the draft alternates left vs right each generation.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!