As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] Isn't Quite Back Yet

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Honestly when the AMPTP were using the "best and final offer" language I assumed it was going to be at best 50% of what was being asked for, but damn.

JragghenRhesus Positive
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    More strikes. More unions. More guillotines

SirToastyMatevRaijin QuickfootexpendableChallRhesus PositiveMvrckzekebeauDoctor DetroitDayspringBloodsheedPeenmrpakujkylefultonTonkkaJedocAndy JoeOlivawcursedkingFCDRingoproxy_hueCristovalHappy Little MachineHacksawcabsy
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    More strikes. More unions. More guillotines

Would make a good shirt.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

asofyeunDoctor DetroitAndy JoeOlivaw
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Honestly when the AMPTP were using the "best and final offer" language I assumed it was going to be at best 50% of what was being asked for, but damn.

I think monetarily it's a shade over half the initial pitch by WGA (which is definitionally not what they expect to get) but it seems to have a lot of stability and strong anti-AI protections, but I'm skimming and not an insider.

I ate an engineer
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think one of the biggest wins they got was the stuff around writing rooms, as that just flat out means more jobs and more job security

Magellminor incidentPoorochondriacSweeney TomStraightziOdin3cl1ps3PaperLuigi44Munkus BeaverCommander ZoomChallThe JudgeMatevMvrckJohnny ChopsockyDoctor DetroitNarbusadytumAndy JoeOlivawcursedkingOghulkDyvim TvarHacksawcabsy
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I think one of the biggest wins they got was the stuff around writing rooms, as that just flat out means more jobs and more job security

also, killing AI before the companies got too cozy with it

Commander ZoomRhesus PositiveOlivawOghulkEmperorSeth
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    WGA strike will officially be suspended as of midnight tonight. The final agreement needs to be voted on by membership, which will take until the end of next week, but writers can go back to work tomorrow.

The vote is expected to sail through, because the deal is fucking phenomenal. We got goddamn near everything we wanted.

I'm sure media outlets will cover it exhaustively, and a lot of the minutiae is kinda inside-basebally, so I won't run down the whole thing here. I'm happy to answer questions about shit if people have any. But the topline is, it's a great fucking deal, our negotiating committee is fucking superhuman, our strike captains are unbelievably amazing, strikes work, unions rule, fuckin' a

What are do you think is the best thing you got out of the deal, and what do you think was the most surprising thing that came out?

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    WGA strike will officially be suspended as of midnight tonight. The final agreement needs to be voted on by membership, which will take until the end of next week, but writers can go back to work tomorrow.

The vote is expected to sail through, because the deal is fucking phenomenal. We got goddamn near everything we wanted.

I'm sure media outlets will cover it exhaustively, and a lot of the minutiae is kinda inside-basebally, so I won't run down the whole thing here. I'm happy to answer questions about shit if people have any. But the topline is, it's a great fucking deal, our negotiating committee is fucking superhuman, our strike captains are unbelievably amazing, strikes work, unions rule, fuckin' a

What are do you think is the best thing you got out of the deal, and what do you think was the most surprising thing that came out?

With the caveat that I'm still digesting the deal, and that I'm sure as I learn more about it and talk about it more my opinions will shift some:

"Best thing" is a tie between AVOD pay and room size minimums. The former fixes some loopholes around ad-supported streamers (which every streamer has either already rolled out or is rolling out soon). Closing those loopholes is financially as vital to guild members as securing rights in streaming were in 07/08. We were once again able to stay ahead of the industry shift and keep our pay commensurate, instead of having to play catch up after they fleeced us. Good shit.

Room size minimums is a huge structural and symbolic victory. It's taking some of the unspoken best practices in making TV, and forcing management to hard-code them. More writers make better TV, period. Ensuring that that's not just common wisdom, but that it's contract law, completely beats ass. Workers making management create a better product! That fucking rules!

So, that's why I tie them. One is good for wallets, one is good for the art form, I think both are vitally important.

Most surprising is the term "showrunner" being codified, and being defined as a writer. That's another thing that was sort of unspoken and loosey-goosey, and it was much to the studios' benefit for it to be such. I'm genuinely shocked to see it get these hard parameters. It secures a great deal of creative control for writers, I didn't even think to look out for it coming.

minor incident3cl1ps3DarkPrimusPaperLuigi44mxmarksshalmeloshoeboxjeddyBlake TSweeney TomMatevRhesus PositiveMvrckSporkAndrewIoloMagellDoctor DetroitTofystedethStraightziBloodsheedCantidemrpakujkylefultonTonkkaAndy JoeOghulkcrzyangoDex DynamoFCDRingoproxy_hueHappy Little MachineHacksawcabsy
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I’m just now crawling out of a delirious Covid haze for the last few days. Literally first time looking at my phone since last Wednesday. Happy to see the WGA crushed it and got some real good shit out of the negotiations. Fuck yeah, unions.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    "we should have been paying politicians this whole time so they would let us not pay writers"

ReynoldsRhesus PositiveDoctor DetroitadytumStraightziCrimeRobotmrpakuOlivawcursedkingFCDDyvim Tvarcabsy
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    @Poorochondriac I only want to call this out for just a second because it seems like y'all scored huge and I don't want to diminish that, but is there anything in this deal that didn't go the way you wanted or you're not happy with, that we all as general weirdos should look out for going forward?

Poorochondriac I only want to call this out for just a second because it seems like y'all scored huge and I don't want to diminish that, but is there anything in this deal that didn't go the way you wanted or you're not happy with, that we all as general weirdos should look out for going forward?

If anything bubbles up when I'm talking to other folks, I'll let ya know, but I really can't think of anything. It's a really good deal.

No particular slice of it is perfect, because that's not how deals work. But honestly, it's a huge improvement in pretty much every battle we were fighting. I have some concerns about talent pipelines and career development for green writers, but I literally always do and that's why I have a non-profit about it. It ain't a concern for general folks, that's just me thinking downfield.

This deal is a cause for celebration. In getting studios to bend on expanding the scope of a deal, a massively beneficial precedent has been set for SAG-AFTRA, for the upcoming IATSE negotiations, for the upcoming animation writer negotiations, for anybody in this industry. We didn't get our dream numbers in every category, but by getting the battle lines redrawn? Man, that changes the war for everyone.

Commander ZoomIndie WinterSweeney Tomminor incidentDayspringshoeboxjeddymrpakuMatevexpendable3cl1ps3TonkkajkylefultonDoodmannOlivawcrzyangoDex DynamoFCDDyvim TvarHappy Little MachineHacksawcabsy
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Adam Conover posted this link to a PDF which is a table comparing the WGA's initial proposals, the AMPTP's counter, and the final status in the tentative agreement.

https://www.wgacontract2023.org/wgacontract/files/wga-negotiations-tentative-agreement.pdf

Commander ZoomSporkAndrewIoloDoctor Detroitminor incidentTofystedethshoeboxjeddy3cl1ps3OlivawDex DynamoFCDCojo MojoHacksawcabsy
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I'm very glad for this very good deal

but I also need some schadenfreude

give me inside chats of executives bemoaning how hard they got fucked please

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Rhesus PositiveKalTorakmrpakuDex DynamoFCDMcFodder
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    The studios' position in May was equal parts "Rejected. Did not offer a counter" and "We're going to starve them out of their homes"

Even aside from what this is going to do for the future of TV writing as a career, it's gratifying to see those bastards take an L, and even more gratifying to see how much inter-union solidarity and general public support for labor action there was compared to previous negotiations

Long may it continue

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    Rhesus PositiveDoctor DetroitPoorochondriacChallshoeboxjeddytynicCantideMaddocLadaiCentipede DamascusmrpakuMatevexpendable3cl1ps3Munkus BeaverAndy JoeDoodmannOlivawOghulkCarpyDex DynamoFCDRingoLokarnMcFodderCojo MojoDyvim TvarHappy Little MachinetwotimesadingoHacksawcabsyBahamutZERO
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Looks like the streamers are seeking to console themselves with a big Congressional shopping spree.

Nothing like buying a few legislators to ease the pain of getting your collective ass handed to you, collectively, by a union.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
    cabsy
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2023
    Sometimes I wish I could understand corporate and individual greed on these levels so that I could make sense of why they do the things they do.

But then if I understood it more I’d probably like myself less.

I will never understand the need to have the biggest bank account. I’m just not capable of that kind of thinking.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    JragghenDoodmannDouglasDanger
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "How do we make sure something like this never happens again" is how we got FOX News.

TofystedethDarkPrimusFCDRingoCantideOdin
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    o0j7of6bd98y.png

3cl1ps3PoorochondriacCarpyZonugalThe JudgeOlivawAndy Joeminor incidentexpendableasofyeunTofystedethOghulkLadaiBloodsheedSweeney Tomdurandal4532Commander ZoomDoctor DetroitCormacJohnny ChopsockyTonkkaBanzai5150adytumproxy_hueOdinSporkAndrewHacksaw
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I'm very glad for this very good deal

but I also need some schadenfreude

give me inside chats of executives bemoaning how hard they got fucked please

I imagine these are the type of people that just say "you can't win them all", and then they just...find other people to fuck over, somewhere, somehow. And they'll hold grudges or whatever.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    Series finale of Reservation Dogs was really good.

Ringo
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    Centipede DamascusAndy JoeHappy Little Machine
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Holy shit this is incredible just because it looks like those are all the original actors doing the voices.

https://youtu.be/LPCGkHjsK9M?si=n3HfP0vjs7C_akKb

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

IoloThe GeekCentipede Damascusdurandal4532MatevReynoldsDoodmannFCDBahamutZERO
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Holy shit this is incredible just because it looks like those are all the original actors doing the voices.

https://youtu.be/LPCGkHjsK9M?si=n3HfP0vjs7C_akKb

The other Very Short Treks have been meh to ok, but this one was pretty great.

BLM - ACAB
    Mvrck
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So how does the writer’s strike ending impact SAG-AFTRA

They started their strike in solidarity so I would assume it would be bad form to go back to work while they are still striking?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

They started their strike in solidarity so I would assume it would be bad form to go back to work while they are still striking?

WGA won't cross picket lines, I imagine.

WGA getting so much of what they asked for gives SAG-AFTRA leverage in their own negotiations.

TofystedethMunkus Beaver
    Honestly, given that they're trying to get talk shows back (Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers are due to start back up Monday with new episodes) and they're looking to premiere new content soon...you'd think the studios would want to just get the negotiations over with as soon as possible, at this point.

Magell3cl1ps3Munkus BeaverSweeney TomZonugalshoeboxjeddyJohnny ChopsockyjkylefultonOlivawAndy Joe

For a writer to go on set could conceivably be crossing the actor's picket line, depending on the project, but writers may get back to work in pre-production, as that does nothing to diminish the actors' leverage.

That said, writers who are not already returning to work they were in the middle of are now walking the lines in solidarity. For instance:
    po366bkkawj0.png

As for how long it'll take SAG to settle, who knows. AMPTP has insisted they can only negotiate with one guild at a time, so talks may not actually start until the new WGA deal is finalized. The great precedent the WGA has set will hopefully speed things along for SAG once they get to actually resume their talks, or the studio CEOs could decide to be petulant and press their luck, hedging that the actors aren't as stubborn and spiteful as writers. It's honestly hard to say, the CEOs are absolute morons and that makes them hard to predict.

Raijin Quickfoot3cl1ps3JragghenDex DynamoOlivawMatevAndy JoeDyvim TvarHappy Little Machine
    Thanks for the info!

I’m glad this place exists because it can be hard as fuck to get legitimate information out in the world.

SleepasofyeunCommander ZoomReynoldsDoctor DetroitmrpakujkylefultonOlivawFCDRingoMatevIoloadytumChallMcFodderDouglasDangerAndy JoeHacksawBahamutZERO
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    SAG is also the guild with the most well known and loved public faces, so it's not like the AMPTP is going to be in a much better PR situation still.

steam_sig.png
    Commander ZoomDoctor DetroitMagellmrpakuJohnny ChopsockyOlivawFCDRingodurandal4532Andy Joe
  • LarsLars Registered User regular

Will Lara's girlfriend be in this? She was in that group photo that Lara looked at.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    In addition to the 4 late night shows coming back on Monday, John Oliver is back this Sunday.

And I guess if anyone wants to hate-watch Bill Maher, he's supposed to be back on Friday.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Remember that time that God exploded Bill Maher's dick?

Good times.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well this looks interesting

https://youtu.be/JOsZVmVPn4E

TonkkaAndy Joe
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Kinda looks like someone crossed the Sable videogame with that music video Fantasy by DyE

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Kinda looks like someone crossed the Sable videogame with that music video Fantasy by DyE

Which is all just pulling from the Moebius comic.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    honovereOghulkTonkkaReynolds
This discussion has been closed.