As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] Isn't Quite Back Yet

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    o0j7of6bd98y.png

What does the "value of deal" mean?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    o0j7of6bd98y.png

It’s the total value of the deal.

Doctor DetroitLegacy
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Like if you took the deal and made it money instead

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    o0j7of6bd98y.png

The estimated pricetag (taken out of studio profits) to pay for the various wage/benefit increases. So that's including the value of residuals, of studio healthcare/pension contributions, the profit-sharing on ad-supported streaming, etc.

The numbers are estimates, and there are some intangibles that are hard to put a direct monetary value on (such as AI protections, or how much more useful paychecks are to writers when they arrive on time), but it's a good broadstrokes indicator of how much they were originally willing to offer, and how much we ultimately extracted from them after reminding them of our value.

Brovid HasselsmofJedocHacksaw
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I suppose that somebody is going to have to pay for this deal, and I assume it's going to be the consumer.

Reynolds
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Can't wait to see streaming services push past that $20 a month price tag.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    3cl1ps3Doctor DetroitSweeney TomshoeboxjeddyRaijin QuickfootmrpakuDoodmannjkylefultonReynoldsMagellRhesus PositiveSleepOlivawNarbusTransporterHacksaw
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I suppose that somebody is going to have to pay for this deal, and I assume it's going to be the consumer.

can't be the executives, they have sixth yachts to buy

Doctor DetroitCommander ZoomFCDshoeboxjeddymrpakuOghulkTofystedethCantideDex DynamoMatevLadaiReynoldsMagellRhesus PositiveMulysaSemproniusSleepOlivawAndy JoeDyvim TvarHappy Little MachineHacksawwebguy20Kristmas Kthulhu
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    o0j7of6bd98y.png

The estimated pricetag (taken out of studio profits) to pay for the various wage/benefit increases. So that's including the value of residuals, of studio healthcare/pension contributions, the profit-sharing on ad-supported streaming, etc.

The numbers are estimates, and there are some intangibles that are hard to put a direct monetary value on (such as AI protections, or how much more useful paychecks are to writers when they arrive on time), but it's a good broadstrokes indicator of how much they were originally willing to offer, and how much we ultimately extracted from them after reminding them of our value.

the numbers are completely insane when you look at how much money they lost trying to wait out the strike, like there's clearly no actual strategic thought at play, just spite and stupidity

Doctor DetroitsponoFCDPoorochondriacLokarndurandal4532MatevLadaiadytumMagellMaddocRhesus PositiveSporkAndrewCormacMulysaSemproniusSleepOlivawCurly_BraceAndy JoeDyvim TvarHacksawKristmas Kthulhu
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    o0j7of6bd98y.png

the numbers are completely insane when you look at how much money they lost trying to wait out the strike, like there's clearly no actual strategic thought at play, just spite and stupidity

The executives must all have Adam Driver Oil Baron aspirations

640qocnq4ske.gif
    FCDOdin
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    o0j7of6bd98y.png

The executives must all have Adam Driver Oil Baron aspirations

Only unionized writers and acting could give them the ability to "fill her belly with my festering seed"

sponoZonugal
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    given that most streaming services are going to ad revenue models unless you pay for them to be gone, i would assume the ad buyers will be the ones paying for it, mostly.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    o0j7of6bd98y.png

Most of the numbers thrown about for how much the strike "cost" are comparing apples to truck tires, for what it's worth. Yearly writer costs vs. Deferred revenue vs. Decreased economic activity vs. Stock price shifts vs. Actual theoretical lost earnings are all very, very different things.

It's absolutely good that the strike was powerful and successful, but I think the actual economic impact of the strike is probably still impossible to assess until after the fact given how early writers are in the pipeline.

I ate an engineer
    FCDStraightziOghulk
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You know they’ll raise prices and do their best to claim it’s all the writer’s and actor’s fault that they have to raise the prices. It’s the ONLY way they can afford to cover the contract negotiations they FORCED on the studios.

mrpakuFCDJragghenDoctor DetroitRhesus PositiveMulysaSemproniusOlivaw
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It's also not that irrational. From their perspective they can see foregoing $X dollars over 6 months as worth it if it means they don't spend $X a year for the next 10 years.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I worked for an NBC affiliate for four years, and during that time, given we only had four employees, I received a bit of swag here and there. One thing I got was a small, black, zip-up hoodie. It says "Greendale Community College" in small text on the left breast and "Community - NBC" in small text on the right arm and that's it. Otherwise it's just a unassuming black hoodie.

I have gotten more comments on this garmet of clothing than any other I have ever owned. It's ridiculous.

Anywho, Community was a good-ass show. They should make a movie or something.

Doctor DetroitThe Lovely BastardRhesus PositivemrpakuSporkAndrewfortisDoodmannRingoPeenHexmage-PAOlivawAndy JoetwotimesadingocabsyKristmas Kthulhu
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Well this looks interesting

https://youtu.be/JOsZVmVPn4E

it's also an extension of this short film from a couple years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRzemJbUsw

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
    Centipede Damascus
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

In addition to the 4 late night shows coming back on Monday, John Oliver is back this Sunday.

And I guess if anyone wants to hate-watch Bill Maher, he's supposed to be back on Friday.

I am glad the strike is over and hugely successful for the writers full stop.

But I have been enjoying these guys doing their Strike Force Five podcast to raise money for their crews and will miss it.

Especially when four of them just absolutely gang up to mock Jimny Fallon. :smile:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Doctor Detroit
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    al3rpbq5584d.png

This is much sooner than I was afraid it might be, this is great. Here's hoping negotiations go as quickly, so long as they get everything they deserve.

PaperLuigi443cl1ps3Commander ZoomMcFodderSweeney Tomjkylefultonminor incidentTofystedethZonugalDoctor DetroitBanzai5150CormacThe JudgeDoodmannRingoMatevOlivawCantideHacksawcabsy
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Reservations Dogs finale was as good as I was hoping it would be.

Perfect ending for a very special show. This season was just so good, tying in so many things from previous episodes.

Sweeney TomIolofortisPuntos
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It’s honestly just nice seeing unions fuckin work.

I remember when our union was in negotiations, and got given fuck all, and we were like this sucks, what’s next, and our rep looked at us and pretty much said, what are you going to do strike and not get paid? And my workmate who is a dithering 60 something woman looked him in the eye and said yes. And he just was shocked that people would want to actually strike.

Indie WintertynicJragghenCommander ZoommrpakuSweeney TomRaijin QuickfootZonugalshoeboxjeddyMagellexpendableChall3cl1ps3RingoMatevDarkPrimusPeenOlivawLokarnadytumjkylefultonTonkkaHacksawcabsyKristmas Kthulhu
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2023

the thing that really gets me about this is, there's no reason to up the prices. Even with the new deal, there's no real reason for even the executives to take a theoretical paycut (as if they ever would). It wouldn't even effect the size of their bonuses! they can have a year where growth is slower, or even plateaus, and no one at any level of the multimedia conglomerate will have to lower their living standards, the quality of the product would not be compromised, and the consumer would not be charged more - the company will simply make slightly less money for a limited amount of time

but we can't have that, can we

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    Commander ZoomRhesus PositiveSweeney TomRaijin QuickfootSnicketysnickDoctor DetroitTofystedethshoeboxjeddyBloodsheedMagellDoodmannMatevPeenOlivawMcFodderMunkus BeaverFCDCantideDyvim TvarHacksawcabsyKristmas Kthulhu
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    number must go up.

ReynoldsSnicketysnickDoctor DetroitZonugalTofystedethshoeboxjeddyBloodsheedThe Judge3cl1ps3MatevDarkPrimusOlivawMcFodderMunkus BeaverFCDCantideDyvim TvarjkylefultonTonkkaHacksawcabsy
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I only known Hazbin Hotel as the show with the greatest ratio of insane fandom/creator drama to actual content of all time

I ate an engineer
    3cl1ps3MaddoccabsyKristmas Kthulhu
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I only known Hazbin Hotel as the show with the greatest ratio of insane fandom/creator drama to actual content of all time

More than Undertale? I don't believe that's possible.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I only know Hazbin Hotel as the thing that constantly fucks up all of my Google searches about Goetic demons

Rhesus PositiveMaddocCelloMortal Sky
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I only know Hazbin Hotel as the thing that constantly fucks up all of my Google searches about Goetic demons

you are one of like 3? posters that this is an entirely believable post

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I just want to see pictures of Stolas!

qncp31dsjtvn.png

He commands 26 legions and teaches astronomy and knowledge of plants and I think that's important!

Raijin QuickfootasofyeunThe Lovely Bastard3cl1ps3Grey GhostshoeboxjeddyMulysaSemproniusRhesus PositiveJedocminor incidentMaddocmrpakuOlivawhonovereCentipede DamascusZonugalpookaMcFodderCurly_BraceMunkus BeaverMatevFCDIoloexpendableVeldrinDyvim TvarHappy Little MachineCelloRingoHacksawcabsyKristmas Kthulhu
    I feel like you’re sleeping on Orobas here.

What’s he have 20 legions of demons? Never lies or misleads.

That’s hard to find in a demon.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    That ten-episode Power Rangers event series comes out tomorrow on Netflix. It's the series where David Yost is returning as Billy to fight against Lord Zedd. It's also apparently the end of the 30-year continuity before the nebulous reboot (that will probably be a new take on Mighty Morphin since they apparently won't be using Sentai footage anymore).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7OCFymjCzM

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Huh, I was hoping Fern would return but I was wasn't expecting her to be added to the opening credits.

Also, saying that they're ending the continuity is so funny because past Lost Galaxy and before the recent stuff new series were frequently their own thing until they weren't (normally the crossover episode).

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Huh, I was hoping Fern would return but I was wasn't expecting her to be added to the opening credits.

(Rumors for the episodes)
    It's rumored that Fern will actually be a ranger. Though bizarrely, even though it shows her with a purple color scheme in the intro, the rumor says she'll actually be the first-ever official Orange Ranger.

Also after Dino Fury had the first lesbian ranger, this would make it the first lesbian couple both being rangers.

edited September 2023
    Doodmann wrote: »

Undertale doesn't have any creator drama as far as I can tell, Toby Fox just sort of exists.

Hazbin Hotel is a show that has never even managed to get past the pilot and yet has somehow had literally years of back and forth bullshit between the fandom and the lead creator, to the point they have a sizeable hatedom at this point. That's impressive for not actually releasing anything.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
    DoodmannReynoldscabsy
    That said, I do think that at some point there will be an extremely stupid online blowup against Toby Fox due to The Halloween Hack for Earthbound, but that's just my personal long-shot prediction.

I ate an engineer
  • asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular

Undertale doesn't have any creator drama as far as I can tell, Toby Fox just sort of exists.

Hazbin Hotel is a show that has never even managed to get past the pilot and yet has somehow had literally years of back and forth bullshit between the fandom and the lead creator, to the point they have a sizeable hatedom at this point. That's impressive for not actually releasing anything.

well the lead creator had baggage before, and then, the internet decided to be the worst and also hold a grudge against her forever

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2023

I assumed most of the "hatedom" was around her YouTube show that actually has multiple episodes, Helluva Boss.

Hexmage-PA on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Goetic demons mostly seem like stand up guys

Vassago is a cool guy who wants to help you find shit you lost

Maddoc wrote: »
    Goetic demons mostly seem like stand up guys

Vassago is a cool guy who wants to help you find shit you lost

Well yeah, why would you be summoning a demon and risking your immortal soul if it didn't benefit you somehow?

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Castlevania Nocturne is real good. I don’t think I like any of the characters as much as the previous main cast but they all feel like they have more going on. We’re definitely in territory of them kinda just doing their own thing with the character and setting rather than a literal adaptation of Rondo. Also, Zahn McClarnon is playing a vampire.
    Which kinda makes sense because of how they left off the previous series I’d always wondered how they would turn Dracula around to evil again. I really don’t know where they go from here as far as symphony of the night goes but they have to somehow bring the castle back, how could you not?

If you somehow read this far without watching, this concerns the final minutes of the last episode:
    Also, damn Alucard got that SOTN box art glowup.

This discussion has been closed.