As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] Isn't Quite Back Yet

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    The latest episode of Lower Decks was really excellent. Episode 3 and 4 of this season weren't my favorite, but this latest one was damn near perfect.
    I NEED "Vulcan as a motherf***er" on a T-Shirt like, right now!

Commander ZoomMatev
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Some fun facts from the writer:
    8fxm6dgpx5ns.jpeg

Curly_BraceIolo
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    T'Lyn rules, and I hope that they plan on keeping her around as a regular cast member. I love that the pitch for her was apparently "what would a Vulcan version of Mariner be like"

Cantideminor incidentCurly_Brace
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, T’Lyn rules and is a great addition to the main cast this season. A Vulcan-ass Vulcan is a perfect contrast to the main four being absolute unhinged lunatics.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Commander Zoom
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Heck yeah, definitely digging T'Lyn and it's fun seeing her relationships with each of the main cast develop. She's due for an episode where she mostly hangs out with Rutherford and it's gonna be fun to see how they interact.

Also, regarding the current episode:
    Super spy betazoid party cougars was an excellent red herring

BLM - ACAB
    Wendie Malick was an excellent casting too. She's got such a great, recognizable voice.

I loved her in Owl House; she absolutely made that character.

BLM - ACAB
    DouglasDangerHalos Nach TariffCantideOldSlacker
    emlcpia7hkpg.png

BLM - ACAB
    Rhesus PositiveMunkus Beaver
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What is the context for random Josh Widdicombe?

Blake T
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I was talking the other day with someone about how amazing the production staff of Person of Interest must have been to make five great seasons of a show when dealing with an actor playing the main character who didn't understand his character at all, was increasingly proving himself too dangerous to be allowed to do any kind of action scenes, and was either incapable or unwilling to learn his lines.

Centipede DamascusJohnny ChopsockyMulysaSemproniusadytumMvrckAstharieldurandal4532
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Lol all these succession kids suck and dad isn't going to love you

Tom rules

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Tom emphatically does NOT rule

minor incidentrhylithCantideBedigunzWheatBun01RedTideadytumCelloHacksaw
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    That Tom stands out as a real hot piece of human garbage on a show like Succession is a true testament to his absolute shitholery.

minor incident on
    DoodmannRedTide

PORTCULLIS!

BLM - ACAB
    Rhesus PositiveMunkus Beaver
    Tom is my brother from Minnesota and he's a big corn fed boy and needs to go home

MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Tom is my brother from Minnesota and he's a big corn fed boy and needs to go home

That's honestly part of why I personally find him so loathsome. The people who were born into this fucked up world are still monstrous, don't get me wrong, but it's all they've ever really known and the deck was stacked against them turning out fine. Tom WANTS to be here. He's CHOOSING it, every day.

But that's part of what makes Succession interesting, when it's at its best. "Wait, why don't I hate this loathsome prick as much as that loathsome prick? What's going on under the surface of them, of me?"

minor incidentGustavSweeney TomCantideDoodmannshalmeloCelloSporkAndrewHacksaw
    edited September 2023
    Wait I'm at the wedding episode and a bunch of people showed up from Minnesota I cannot wait

Oh Tom my.poor boy

Tom my sweet baby

MegaMan001 on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

PORTCULLIS!

I... see

https://www.vulture.com/article/how-the-wga-won-historic-contract-2023-strike-end.html

Great longform article summarizing the strike's end, with some talk about what was gained, what it means, and what could come next. Here's an especially relevant paragraph:
    l9ratq0v17xb.png

I stress that it's "relevant," because it's already starting to happen:
    93rukmq8uk1h.png

Home Economics had three seasons. Actor contracts have clauses that make pay skyrocket in season four. The show ran to middling numbers and middling acclaim, it was about to get a lot more expensive, and so it didn't get renewed. Something that happens to a dozen shows a year.

But instead of running it as its own, unremarkable story, it's paired with a completely unrelated show getting delayed until 2024. The delay is definitely a result of the strike.

By pairing these two stories, by making sure to talk about the strike plenty even when discussing an unrelated cancellation, a narrative frame begins to emerge. Watch out for it, don't fall for it, remember that studios love to spin.

Sweeney TomDoodmannCommander Zoomminor incidentKalTorakZonugalPaperLuigi44MagellMatevThe Lovely Bastard3cl1ps3adytumJedocDoctor DetroitDyvim TvarMunkus BeaverLokarnHappy Little MachineCantideAndy JoejkylefultonLadaiMcFodderRingoHacksawironsizide
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Wait I'm at the wedding episode and a bunch of people showed up from Minnesota I cannot wait

Oh Tom my.poor boy

Tom my sweet baby

I've finished Succession Season One
    Good TV, multiple layered characters, all of whom I hate except for Tom who I think truly loves Siohban.

I thought Connor was harmless, but then he...speaks out loud and holy shit he's an asshole..I hope we find out why he didn't end up working for the company.

Also, when Shiv says that she 'implied' her relationship with Tom is an all timer moment.

You even hate Gerri????

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Gerri? My nemesis? My nemesis, Gerri?

uyvfOQy.png
    minor incidentOdinZonugaladytumA Dabble Of Theloniusdurandal4532CantidejkylefultonSporkAndrew
    I’m trying to think of a single character from Succession who I would trust enough to turn my back on them and the closest I’m coming up with is the contractor who stuffed the dead raccoons in the chimney.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    https://www.vulture.com/article/how-the-wga-won-historic-contract-2023-strike-end.html

Great longform article summarizing the strike's end, with some talk about what was gained, what it means, and what could come next. Here's an especially relevant paragraph:
    l9ratq0v17xb.png

93rukmq8uk1h.png

Home Economics had three seasons. Actor contracts have clauses that make pay skyrocket in season four. The show ran to middling numbers and middling acclaim, it was about to get a lot more expensive, and so it didn't get renewed. Something that happens to a dozen shows a year.

But instead of running it as its own, unremarkable story, it's paired with a completely unrelated show getting delayed until 2024. The delay is definitely a result of the strike.

By pairing these two stories, by making sure to talk about the strike plenty even when discussing an unrelated cancellation, a narrative frame begins to emerge. Watch out for it, don't fall for it, remember that studios love to spin.

This article did remind me that the director’s guild fucking folded and got peanuts. I wonder how they must be feeling about their deal now.

JragghenDoodmannJohnny ChopsockyOlivawSweeney TomAndy JoeMulysaSemproniusRingo
    You even hate Gerri????

Yes.
    After Logan hits his grandson during the Thanksgiving game, she comes to Kendall.snd explains that she loves Logan, but works for Waystar. I thought it was a very nice momentz separating the man from the business.

Then she fucking bailed at the vote

She embodies the whole problem of this class of people. They all have enough money to do the right thing and still live comfortably for ever while providing for a six following generations, but doesn't.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    rqb8heldd5o8.jpg

Mwx884o.jpg
    minor incidentasofyeunDyvim TvarMatevBloodsheedAndy Joecabsy
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

l9ratq0v17xb.png

93rukmq8uk1h.png

This article did remind me that the director’s guild fucking folded and got peanuts. I wonder how they must be feeling about their deal now.

"You know what, I think I co-wrote this one too."

Jragghen
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Just finished Castlevania: Nocturne Season 1. It ruled.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Nocturne was ok, it felt like it was trying to emulate Ellis' writing a bit hard at some points, and animation's not quite as crisp in some places. However, they did give us

Nocturne Spoilers
    Dirtbag Grandpa Juste Belmont, hot gay Aztec Vampire Olrox, an operatic demon, and that last sequence with Marie summoning all the animals while dancing on church pews so I'll fuck around with this for another season at least

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    TaminDizzy D
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

l9ratq0v17xb.png

93rukmq8uk1h.png

But Pooro, if they hadn't signed that new deal, they could have kept the show going with full body scan 3d models of the cast, and AI generated scripts forever! So really, it is all those damn unions fault for not letting middling shows live on in perpetuity with a drastic reduction in writing quality and uncanny valley CGI characters.

Andy JoeDoctor Detroit
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Susan Wokoma has an all-time great task solution in the latest Taskmaster episode. Dang.
    And Sam Campbell was the perfect victim. It couldn't have gone better.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    Dizzy DRhesus PositiveElderlycrawfishTofystedeth
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Last night the SE++ anime squad (ughhh) watched some more Babylon 5 (yay!).

Specifically, we watched And Now For A Word, the second season episode done entirely in the style of an investigative TV news-special.

God... What an episode...

Dr. Stephen Franklin interrupting the vibe of an interview, while dressed like a member of the Fellowship of the Ring, to tell an incredibly dark story about watching a classmate die from exposure to space? Amazing

Our Discord group chat getting spammed with "LONDO, YOU PIECE OF SHIT!!" during every interview with that Centauri scumbag. Terrific

G'Kar saying the following line during an interview: "There are humans for whom the words "never again" carry special meaning. As they do for us." Superb

Our episode, as provided by Tubi, going into a commercial in which an older swinger tries to sell a cash-back app by talking about how much she loves swinging with her neighbors? Fantastic

But the highlight of the episode?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTbpyd_8mSM
    When all the rookies collectively realized what was happening in this in-universe PSA??
    Breaking-Bad-Jesse-Scream.jpg

WHAT A PIECE OF TELEVISION!

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    minor incidentCommander ZoomjkylefultonReynoldsTaminpookaSnicketysnickIoloMatevElderlycrawfishThe JudgeFCDdurandal4532expendableCantideironsizide
    Londo was supposed to be the cool funny character we all enjoy and joke about, like Gul Dukat!

Not the villain who loves space war crimes, like Gul Dukat!!!

uyvfOQy.png
    Commander ZoomZonugalasofyeunMatevElderlycrawfishDoctor DetroitPeenOlivawFCDadytumdurandal4532RingoexpendableCantideironsizide
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Londo was supposed to be the cool funny character we all enjoy and joke about, like Gul Dukat!

"they're the same picture"

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    FCD
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »

"they're the same picture"

Disagree most vehemently.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    PeenexpendableCantide
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Hey Londo doesn't love war crimes, he's just doesn't see why people should care or why if should matter to him at all

Succession Update - Tom is a piece of shit

minor incidentCarpyasofyeunjkylefultonAndy JoeCelloadytumTransporterRingoCantideRedTideHacksaw
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Realizing that y'all aren't through the show yet and this is a rabbit hole you might not be interested in, there was a series of Psi Corps novels by J. Gregory Keyes that were pretty good.

TaminjkylefultonMatev
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I can also tentatively recommend the novel trilogies attached to Babylon 5. Unlike, say, Star Wars, they were based off outlines written by JMS.

Jeanne Cavelos wrote The Shadow Within, which I've always felt captured John, Anna, and Morden quite well. She followed this with The Passing of the Techno-mages trilogy. I have some minor issues with these, but overall I remember liking them.

as mentioned, J. Gregory Keyes (as credited here) wrote The Psi-Corps trilogy, which I barely remember but I think I liked well enough.

Peter David wrote a Centauri Prime trilogy, which has been on my list for ages but I've never tracked down.

Tamin on
    I noticed Peter David wrote one of the recent episodes, too.

uyvfOQy.png
This discussion has been closed.