As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] Isn't Quite Back Yet

12357100

Posts

  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Novelization tie-ins reminded me of the old Roswell TV series (not the recent CW remake, the original that aired alongside Buffy for a while). That series kind of had an open ending, but was continued in a series of four novels.

    However, most people didn't know these novels existed, and Roswell didn't exactly light the world on fire, so they didn't exactly sell well. In fact, they sold so poorly that shortly after the last one came out, the company apparently decided to cut their losses and ordered all the backstock destroyed.

    As a result, the last two novels (aka the finale to the entire series) became ludicrously rare. Naturally, since most people couldn't afford the high price of getting those novels on the resell market, most people were unable to find out how the series ended. Sure there were spoilers out there, but there were multiple conflicting sets so it was difficult to discern who was telling the truth and who was posting fanfic ideas.

    I imagine that now in the digital age someone has at least scanned a pdf of them or something, but I don't know for sure. Maybe they even got put on Kindle or something depending on how the rights worked with that company? I don't know.

    Challdurandal4532
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I didn't like the techno-mages trilogy as well as the Psi-Corps one but it was ok. I didn't dislike the Centuari Prime trilogy but it covered a lot of ground that the show already covered so it didn't feel necessary (to me at the time, a teenager).

  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Speaking of, I finished up season 5 of Babylon 5 this week:
    Kinda hampered by them having to wrap so much up in season 4 I think. It also didn't help that I had like no interest in Byron's psi-cult and Delenn and Sheridan got pretty stale. Hate that they turned Lennier full incel in the end. G'kar and Lonodo returning to the status quo was a bit fast for me but I think that's another season 4 problem. That said, G'kar bodyguard to Londo was a lot of fun. I read on the wiki later but I wish they had at least mentioned "oh yeah in the intervening 20 years we fixed the Drakh problem" because cutting to party emperor Vir was a bit jarring. That said, still cried at the end because I'm a sucker for things ending.

  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    It's pretty well-work territory at this point but they didn't think they were going to get a season 5 of B5, which is why it kinda seems like the show ends twice (once after Season 4, and again after 5) and why season 5 is a little all over the place.

    I'll still take Season 5 over Season 1, I know Lochley is divisive but I think she was more good than bad.

    Edit: Also I thought Sinclair had the screen presence and charisma of a bag of lukewarm oatmeal, that probably affects my judgment too.

    Peen on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Also I thought Sinclair had the screen presence and charisma of a bag of lukewarm oatmeal, that probably affects my judgment too.

    I've encountered some wild opinions in my days.

    But this? This, before my eyes??

    I can't sign off on this.

    I refuse this, I protest this, I reject this with my entire god-damn being.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    ReynoldsMatevDyvim Tvarironsizide
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You can have your opinions and I can have mine! It's a free country!

    Andy Joe
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    You can have your opinions and I can have mine! It's a free country!

    no

    ReynoldsDyvim Tvar
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Fine, I can have my opinions and you can have a bag of rocks, and not even good rocks but just a bunch of dumb little ones, I hope you're happy now.

  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    two differing opinions? in this economy!?

    7656367.jpg
    ZonugalReynoldsminor incidentMagellRhesus PositiveMulysaSemproniusMunkus BeaverexpendableDyvim Tvarironsizide
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Novelization tie-ins reminded me of the old Roswell TV series (not the recent CW remake, the original that aired alongside Buffy for a while). That series kind of had an open ending, but was continued in a series of four novels.

    However, most people didn't know these novels existed, and Roswell didn't exactly light the world on fire, so they didn't exactly sell well. In fact, they sold so poorly that shortly after the last one came out, the company apparently decided to cut their losses and ordered all the backstock destroyed.

    As a result, the last two novels (aka the finale to the entire series) became ludicrously rare. Naturally, since most people couldn't afford the high price of getting those novels on the resell market, most people were unable to find out how the series ended. Sure there were spoilers out there, but there were multiple conflicting sets so it was difficult to discern who was telling the truth and who was posting fanfic ideas.

    I imagine that now in the digital age someone has at least scanned a pdf of them or something, but I don't know for sure. Maybe they even got put on Kindle or something depending on how the rights worked with that company? I don't know.

    Oh hey my wife was way into Roswell at that time, I bet we have all of those books in storage somewhere

  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    Also I thought Sinclair had the screen presence and charisma of a bag of lukewarm oatmeal, that probably affects my judgment too.

    I've encountered some wild opinions in my days.

    But this? This, before my eyes??

    I can't sign off on this.

    I refuse this, I protest this, I reject this with my entire god-damn being.

    You know how you hear stories about charismatic cult leaders convincing people to sign over their life's savings and become slaves and die for them?

    I never really got that before. But if Michael O'Hare was doing the talking...

    uyvfOQy.png
    ZonugalMatev
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yay, Hulu added all the recent American Dad episodes it's been missing.

    Looks like it's all caught up now..

  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I have just finished up Touch Your Heart.

    It is a rom-com about an actress, who is struggling to recover from a rich boy involved drug scandal, taking a temporary job as a secretary in a law office as research for an upcoming role. The lawyer she is paired up with is prickly and distant, but very good at his job.

    They do not like each other.
    But then they do!

    The last episode is a wrap-up of plot, but more importantly, a wrap-up of advertisement obligations. In the episode we are treated to:
    - A visit to Subway and a scene where the leads eat big delicious sandwiches.
    - A demonstration of the Wireless PowerSharing capabilities of the Samsung Galaxy.
    - A look at some Chanel men's line products, focusing on the cologne which is spritzed and thoroughly enjoyed.
    - A scene on a park bench wherein the male lead is offered a tube of Red Ginseng Energy Goo Or Something which he slurps with gusto.
    - Also, a brief clip from Her Private Life, a Park Min-young rom-com.

    All-in-all: A rom-com that will fill your bingo card.

    Content warnings for domestic violence, drugging, stalking and questionable depictions of intellectual disabilities.

    cursedkingCarpyRingocabsy
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Maybe I’ll watch American Dad one of these days…

  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I have just finished up Touch Your Heart.

    It is a rom-com about an actress, who is struggling to recover from a rich boy involved drug scandal, taking a temporary job as a secretary in a law office as research for an upcoming role. The lawyer she is paired up with is prickly and distant, but very good at his job.

    They do not like each other.
    But then they do!

    The last episode is a wrap-up of plot, but more importantly, a wrap-up of advertisement obligations. In the episode we are treated to:
    - A visit to Subway and a scene where the leads eat big delicious sandwiches.
    - A demonstration of the Wireless PowerSharing capabilities of the Samsung Galaxy.
    - A look at some Chanel men's line products, focusing on the cologne which is spritzed and thoroughly enjoyed.
    - A scene on a park bench wherein the male lead is offered a tube of Red Ginseng Energy Goo Or Something which he slurps with gusto.
    - Also, a brief clip from Her Private Life, a Park Min-young rom-com.

    All-in-all: A rom-com that will fill your bingo card.

    Content warnings for domestic violence, drugging, stalking and questionable depictions of intellectual disabilities.

    But were they childhood friends who forgot about each other due to head trauma induced amnesia?

    steam_sig.png
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I have just finished up Touch Your Heart.

    It is a rom-com about an actress, who is struggling to recover from a rich boy involved drug scandal, taking a temporary job as a secretary in a law office as research for an upcoming role. The lawyer she is paired up with is prickly and distant, but very good at his job.

    They do not like each other.
    But then they do!

    The last episode is a wrap-up of plot, but more importantly, a wrap-up of advertisement obligations. In the episode we are treated to:
    - A visit to Subway and a scene where the leads eat big delicious sandwiches.
    - A demonstration of the Wireless PowerSharing capabilities of the Samsung Galaxy.
    - A look at some Chanel men's line products, focusing on the cologne which is spritzed and thoroughly enjoyed.
    - A scene on a park bench wherein the male lead is offered a tube of Red Ginseng Energy Goo Or Something which he slurps with gusto.
    - Also, a brief clip from Her Private Life, a Park Min-young rom-com.

    All-in-all: A rom-com that will fill your bingo card.

    Content warnings for domestic violence, drugging, stalking and questionable depictions of intellectual disabilities.

    But were they childhood friends who forgot about each other due to head trauma induced amnesia?

    Not in this one!

    I did recently see a supernatural lover trauma/memory-loss variant, though.

    Spoilers for both My Love From the Star and HeartBeat:
    In both of these shows the male lead is effectively immortal, he encounters a nice young lady in Joseon times, that lady is killed via arrow protecting the male lead, and then the male lead encounters her reincarnated in modern times.

  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Another show in the, “I can’t believe this isn’t a 30 Rock joke show.”

    I present

    Snake Oil

    https://youtu.be/_IwZxPWft2k?si=t4gffPz0GrXHGke-

  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm watching new girl for the first time and like, MAN this show has some good slapstick comedy

    Banzai5150McFodderDoctor DetroitKyouguNarbusMagellDemonStaceyHacksawEmperorSethironsizide
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I'm watching new girl for the first time and like, MAN this show has some good slapstick comedy

    All those boys are excellent at comedy. And Zoey is there as well.

    ZonugalA Dabble Of TheloniusReynoldstwotimesadingoBanzai5150BloodsheedMcFodderDoctor DetroitNarbushonovereMagellRELtasticHacksaw
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I'm watching new girl for the first time and like, MAN this show has some good slapstick comedy

    It only gets better and better honestly.

    Rhesus PositiveDemonStacey
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I literally could not stop laughing at this

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcMACu9vimc

    just absolute peak comedy

    KalTorak
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I'm watching new girl for the first time and like, MAN this show has some good slapstick comedy

    All those boys are excellent at comedy. And Zoey is there as well.

    actually to give credit, Hannah Simone and Megan Fox are also good at comedy

    A Dabble Of TheloniusZonugalRaijin Quickfoot3cl1ps3Banzai5150BloodsheedMcFodderStraightziRhesus PositiveMagellSweeney TomHacksaw
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hannah Simone is awesome and hella underrated

    Doctor Detroitironsizide
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    First season was alright, but this second season has definitely improved over time.

  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Zooey Deschanel is good in New Girl, especially when she's in scenes with Jake Johnson, and especially when the show's main joke stops being "the boys are exasperated by their weird roommate," and turns into "these people are all their own brand of lunatic"

    Doctor DetroitNarbusshoeboxjeddyOghulkRhesus Positive3cl1ps3honovereRaijin QuickfootMagellDemonStaceyTofystedethA Dabble Of TheloniusRELtasticCojo MojoknitdanDoodmannadytumEmperorSethironsizide
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Taylor Swift is also good at comedy
    WHAT

    Commander Zoom
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Only Murders in the Building finale was really good. No big spoilers, but given that Steve Martin has said this is probably his last acting job, I keep expecting every finale to be the series finale, but there's a pretty clear hook for another season in this one, so...you know, I do expect it to come back, now

    minor incidentRhesus PositiveSharpyVIIdurandal4532DoodmannSweeney Tomcabsyironsizide
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Succession Season 3 Update - Everyone is a piece of shit.

    I keep waiting for someone to take off their mask and every time it feels like it gets close, it's a fake out.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Succession Season 3 Update - Everyone is a piece of shit.

    The prestige TV equivalent of "This Adventure Time episode is weird".

    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    tynicCommander ZoomCelloTransporterRedTidejkylefultoncabsyDyvim TvarAbsurdProposition
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Personally, I find it incredibly hard to watch or enjoy something where everyone is just awful all the time. It's just too depressing to keep at it. It's the primary reason I gave up on Glee. Everyone except maybe Kurt's dad was just unrepentantly shitty and any growth they had or lessons they learned was immediately undone in the next episode.

    BLM - ACAB
    expendableCommander ZoomRingoRanlinRhesus PositiveIoloHappy Little Machine
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Only Murders in the Building finale was really good. No big spoilers, but given that Steve Martin has said this is probably his last acting job, I keep expecting every finale to be the series finale, but there's a pretty clear hook for another season in this one, so...you know, I do expect it to come back, now

    I haven't watched the finale yet, but Hulu just announced it's been renewed for season 4.

    minor incidentDoctor DetroitAndy JoeDemonStaceyMatevRhesus PositiveIoloSweeney Tom
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    The Geek wrote: »
    Personally, I find it incredibly hard to watch or enjoy something where everyone is just awful all the time. It's just too depressing to keep at it. It's the primary reason I gave up on Glee. Everyone except maybe Kurt's dad was just unrepentantly shitty and any growth they had or lessons they learned was immediately undone in the next episode.

    I think the difference between something like Succession and something like Glee is, "What is this unpleasantness in service of?"

    I think Succession occasionally got high on its own supply of farts, but at its best, it was looking at the way the world breaks people and how people break it back. It explores power structures - codified ones, sure, but also familial ones, social ones. It's an invitation to see the world's big problems as results of small ones, and vice versa. There's thematic meat on the bone, and I think it's hard to engage in that sort of thematic work without being unpleasant.

    In Glee, it was in service of punchlines and twists, and occasional music mashups. Cruelty isn't really a THEMATIC engine, it's just... Ryan Murphy being kind of a sociopath.

    Poorochondriac on
    tynicZonugalThe Lovely Bastardminor incidentGustavDoctor DetroitKetarOlivawCelloTransporteradytumLadaiSweeney TomHacksawDyvim Tvar
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Personally, I find it incredibly hard to watch or enjoy something where everyone is just awful all the time. It's just too depressing to keep at it. It's the primary reason I gave up on Glee. Everyone except maybe Kurt's dad was just unrepentantly shitty and any growth they had or lessons they learned was immediately undone in the next episode.

    I think the difference between something like Succession and something like Glee is, "What is this unpleasantness in service of?"

    I think Succession occasionally got high on its own supply of farts, but at its best, it was looking at the way the world breaks people and how people break it back. It explores power structures - codified ones, sure, but also familial ones, social ones. It's an invitation to see the world's big problems as results of small ones, and vice versa. There's thematic meat on the bone, and I think it's hard to engage in that sort of thematic work without being unpleasant.

    In Glee, it was in service of punchlines and twists, and occasional music mashups. Cruelty isn't really a THEMATIC engine, it's just... Ryan Murphy being kind of a sociopath.

    Like, the entirety of Successions' conflict could be avoided if a Dad loved his children and treated them like human beings.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    Cello
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    i feel like the real way to make more shows about terrible people more appealing to the masses is by having kristen bell do smug narration over the act breaks

    7656367.jpg
    Poorochondriacasofyeunminor incident3cl1ps3SirToastyshoeboxjeddyZonugalTofystedethCommander ZoomIoloSweeney TomcabsyDyvim Tvarironsizide
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    i feel like the real way to make more shows about terrible people more appealing to the masses is by having kristen bell do smug narration over the act breaks

    Have you gotten to the episode where Blake Lively blisses out playing Guitar Hero

  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    i feel like the real way to make more shows about terrible people more appealing to the masses is by having kristen bell do smug narration over the act breaks

    Have you gotten to the episode where Blake Lively blisses out playing Guitar Hero

    not yet! @zonugal and i just got to the intro of sebastian stan and were positively elated that he was once again playing a scumbag

    7656367.jpg
    minor incidentZonugal
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Succession also has a handful of the most thrilling, well executed scenes I've ever seen on TV that mostly just involve people standing around talking. Like, even if the subject matter is a fucking bummer for you, it's top notch craft when it's at its best.

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    GustavCello
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I love Londo's character arc in B5.

    I love G'Kar's character arc in B5.

    I love the arc of Londo and G'kar's interactions and relationships in B5.

    I love Vir's arc in B5.

    I love Vir being the foil to Londo in B5.

    I love Vir's wave. You know the one.

    Ivanova is god.

    I watched this show as a kid when it aired on TV and have spent my entire life quoting it. Guess it's time to watch it all again.

    It's also disturbing how prescient certain themes were for real life. But that's probably more of a "this is how it always goes" sort of thing.

    [edit]Is there a B5 thread somewhere?

    expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    TaminReynoldsCommander ZoomRingoFCDjkylefultonironsizide
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I just read about this new police procedural show about a woman who works to push the police towards cases of kidnapped minorities, which sounds interesting enough for me, a crazy person with a horrible weakness for dumb police procedurals, to want to watch.

    And then I found out that the show's actual big hook is that the main woman herself was kidnapped as a child, and now as an adult has kidnapped her previous kidnapper (who is played by Mark Paul Gosselar!) and keeps him captive and uses him like her own personal Hannibal.

    And I don't know if that's the best or dumbest thing I've ever heard but now I gotta at least check it out.

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    The Lovely BastardStraightzi3cl1ps3ZonugalJedocDoctor DetroitAndy JoeKetarRingosponoOlivawcrzyangoRhesus PositiveIoloiguanacusSweeney TomHappy Little MachineHacksawcabsyDyvim Tvar
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2023
    Succession also has a handful of the most thrilling, well executed scenes I've ever seen on TV that mostly just involve people standing around talking. Like, even if the subject matter is a fucking bummer for you, it's top notch craft when it's at its best.



    Matthew macfayden has a knack for getting cast in that sort of show. The first few series of Spooks were incredibly well directed, and their best moments were just ramping up the tension in a conversation until it was palpable.

    tynic on
This discussion has been closed.