As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] Isn't Quite Back Yet

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I just read about this new police procedural show about a woman who works to push the police towards cases of kidnapped minorities, which sounds interesting enough for me, a crazy person with a horrible weakness for dumb police procedurals, to want to watch.

And then I found out that the show's actual big hook is that the main woman herself was kidnapped as a child, and now as an adult has kidnapped her previous kidnapper (who is played by Mark Paul Gosselar!) and keeps him captive and uses him like her own personal Hannibal.

And I don't know if that's the best or dumbest thing I've ever heard but now I gotta at least check it out.

The commercials for that show are incredible and convinced me that I do not need to watch it at all ever, but you should and tell us how it is!

A Dabble Of TheloniusAndy JoeRingo
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    i am finishing up smash hit dylan mcdermott show "stalker," so i might as well roll into its spiritual sequel

7656367.jpg
    Zonugal
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I just read about this new police procedural show about a woman who works to push the police towards cases of kidnapped minorities, which sounds interesting enough for me, a crazy person with a horrible weakness for dumb police procedurals, to want to watch.

And then I found out that the show's actual big hook is that the main woman herself was kidnapped as a child, and now as an adult has kidnapped her previous kidnapper (who is played by Mark Paul Gosselar!) and keeps him captive and uses him like her own personal Hannibal.

And I don't know if that's the best or dumbest thing I've ever heard but now I gotta at least check it out.

[Depeche Mode voice]

Your own

Personal

Lecter

3cl1ps3Raijin QuickfootThe Lovely BastardSnicketysnickZonugalminor incidentOdinThe GeekmilskiMagellPoorochondriacDoctor DetroitAndy JoeReynoldsKetarCommander ZoomNarbusRingosponoOlivawCelloCurly_BraceRhesus PositiveIoloThe JudgeMad IronLadaiVeldrinHacksawcabsy
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

I literally just heard about this on a podcast I listen to. I cannot wait to see how dumb this is.

Taking bets that, if the show gets a series finale, she'll get caught, but the guy who catches her (who may or may not be her love interest) will let her go.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That sounds…like something I’ll at least check out

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2023
    The concept of it is very intriguing, I'll give it that for sure.

But you just know that they'll be pulling on the "maybe she's just as bad for kidnapping him" string frequently and as far as I know there is no conceivable reason why I'd ever feel bad for the kidnapped kidnapper.

Not to mention that it's Hollywood and so they'll also be completely unable to resist hinting (at the very least) at her starting to develop feelings for him and just knowing that plot thread is absolutely inevitable is enough for me to tap out before even starting the show.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    FCD
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I personally wonder how much they have to avoid just repeating the core elements of Lifetime's Netflix's You

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    adytum
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    One of the cops should be AC Slater

ReynoldsRELtasticMvrckMcFodder
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I know they wouldn't but they one way they could make that show interesting to me is if they started with that premise, had it go for a few episodes, and then had her snap and kill the guy and hide his body and then move along as if nothing happened and then hijinks ensue.

Peen wrote: »
    I know they wouldn't but they one way they could make that show interesting to me is if they started with that premise, had it go for a few episodes, and then had her snap and kill the guy and hide his body and then move along as if nothing happened and then hijinks ensue.

Also if one of the cops was AC Slater

ReynoldsMcFodder
  • OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

What I'm expecting: someone goes down the basement or wherever she's hiding him, and she thinks "oh shit, it's over"

But they find nothing and the twist is she's been imagining the guy this whole time

Zonugal wrote: »
    I personally wonder how much they have to avoid just repeating the core elements of Lifetime's Netflix's You

well it ain't a book jail

7656367.jpg
    Zonugalminor incident
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I just get a little bit of thrill watching overly powerful families of messy idiots destroy themselves because they can’t get over being messy idiots. Just fun for me to root against characters every now and again. Sometimes they have dragons as a looming threat and sometimes they have Brian Cox.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    CelloDyvim Tvar
    Gustav wrote: »
    I just get a little bit of thrill watching overly powerful families of messy idiots destroy themselves because they can’t get over being messy idiots. Just fun for me to root against characters every now and again. Sometimes they have dragons as a looming threat and sometimes they have Brian Cox.

consider dynasty then

https://youtu.be/8JMLdZKM1YQ?si=Vx8ikN33wLcjTuBz

7656367.jpg
    ReynoldsSweeney Tom
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    The Geek wrote: »
    Personally, I find it incredibly hard to watch or enjoy something where everyone is just awful all the time. It's just too depressing to keep at it. It's the primary reason I gave up on Glee. Everyone except maybe Kurt's dad was just unrepentantly shitty and any growth they had or lessons they learned was immediately undone in the next episode.

I think the difference between something like Succession and something like Glee is, "What is this unpleasantness in service of?"

I think Succession occasionally got high on its own supply of farts, but at its best, it was looking at the way the world breaks people and how people break it back. It explores power structures - codified ones, sure, but also familial ones, social ones. It's an invitation to see the world's big problems as results of small ones, and vice versa. There's thematic meat on the bone, and I think it's hard to engage in that sort of thematic work without being unpleasant.

In Glee, it was in service of punchlines and twists, and occasional music mashups. Cruelty isn't really a THEMATIC engine, it's just... Ryan Murphy being kind of a sociopath.

For me the thing that will always annoy me/take me out of a show is the specific form of cruelty/petty evil that shows like Glee take part in, where there are zero consequences or any sort of sane reaction to the behavior. People do face/heel turns on a dime, will do really repugnant shit to each other, and then it's all fine the next episode. It's exhausting/frustrating, and the show expects you to roll with these changes and, essentially, still like all of these people as friends/classmates.

Shows like Succession are, for me, more focused on how these people are fundamentally broken, and were failed as children - they were set up to fail and be failed, and their inhumanity is the point of what the show is investigating. They're all fucked up little freaks and the show doesn't expect you to feel positively about them as human beings. You might have a favorite little freak but it's not like you come away from the show being like "at the end of the day, my freak was actually an ok guy who I wanted to be happy".

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    CelloBlake Tcabsy
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    I love Londo's character arc in B5.

I love G'Kar's character arc in B5.

I love the arc of Londo and G'kar's interactions and relationships in B5.

I love Vir's arc in B5.

I love Vir being the foil to Londo in B5.

I love Vir's wave. You know the one.

Ivanova is god.

I watched this show as a kid when it aired on TV and have spent my entire life quoting it. Guess it's time to watch it all again.

It's also disturbing how prescient certain themes were for real life. But that's probably more of a "this is how it always goes" sort of thing.

[edit]Is there a B5 thread somewhere?

yep!

Commander Zoom
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I also just find Matthew McFadyen saying insane shit really funny. Someone revive The Thick of It and get him in there. I wanna see Peter Capaldi yell at him.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    tynic
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

well it ain't a book jail

I mean, can Mark Paul Gosselar play someone as innately pathetic as Joe Goldberg?? Conversely, can he play someone as cartoonishly dumb as Guinevere Beck??

edited October 2023
    i feel like the real way to make more shows about terrible people more appealing to the masses is by having kristen bell do smug narration over the act breaks

Have you gotten to the episode where Blake Lively blisses out playing Guitar Hero

not yet! @zonugal and i just got to the intro of sebastian stan and were positively elated that he was once again playing a scumbag

Get that man out of comic books and into where he belongs: bio-pics where he plays the greasiest scumbags alive.

Zonugal on
    PoorochondriacThe Lovely Bastard3cl1ps3minor incidentSnicketysnickHacksawDyvim Tvar
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen Mark Paul Gosselar play anyone but Mark Paul Gosselar

He was basically the same character in Pitch and The Passage.

I think he might have mixed it up a bit in Franklin & Bash but I haven’t seen it

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wasn't Sebastian Stan in an adaptation of We Have Always Lived In The Castle? How was that?

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    i feel like the real way to make more shows about terrible people more appealing to the masses is by having kristen bell do smug narration over the act breaks

Have you gotten to the episode where Blake Lively blisses out playing Guitar Hero

not yet! @zonugal and i just got to the intro of sebastian stan and were positively elated that he was once again playing a scumbag

Get that man out of comic books and into where he belongs: bio-pics where he plays the greasiest scumbags alive.

one of the biggest failings of the marvel cinematic universe was not letting sebastian stan utilize his natural scumbag energy.

bucky barnes should be banging steve's girlfriend and conning spider-man out of money.

i mean also the movies are god awful, but i want bucky barnes screaming about squatter's rights in the sanctum santorum.

7656367.jpg
    ZonugalStraightzi3cl1ps3Narbusminor incidentMagellElderlycrawfishOlivawtynicLadaiHacksawcabsyDyvim Tvar
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Wasn't Sebastian Stan in an adaptation of We Have Always Lived In The Castle? How was that?

Good if not great. He plays a scumbag, that's for sure, although a posh scumbag in this instance.

Great cast all around though, Taissa Farmiga, Alexandra Daddario, Crispin Glover, and Seb Stan play the main characters of it.

The Lovely BastardRaijin QuickfootSweeney Tom
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    But boy howdy does he love the crab from Little Mermaid

BLM - ACAB
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

[Depeche Mode voice]

Your own

Personal

Lecter

Someone to eat your face

Someone who's based

RingoIoloButler
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Now that I've finished setting up my personal plex server I'm going back and re-encoding all my DVDs.

It's funny as hell how the old Evangelion DVDs had ads for a bunch of anime....and Farscape. Just the one random live action thing.

DoodmannSweeney Tom
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Now that I've finished setting up my personal plex server I'm going back and re-encoding all my DVDs.

It's funny as hell how the old Evangelion DVDs had ads for a bunch of anime....and Farscape. Just the one random live action thing.

When I think anime, I think of the Jim Henson Studio

anime and muppets are exactly the same

7656367.jpg
    ZonugalFCDMulysaSempronius
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

ADV had the home video rights for Farscape, that's why

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    Mysst
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    anime and muppets are exactly the same

aaiofchdrgbs.jpg

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    JragghenOdinDoctor DetroitFCDRedTideTonkkacabsy
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Cast in the name of God, ye Not Guilty.

Big O...Starburst!
    ehln5etnonv0.jpg

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Only murders back for season 4!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I know it was hitting season four, and that likely means big pay raises, but the core cast of Only Murders in the Building is pretty small, Hulu seems to consider it a pretty big hit, and also canceling what is probably Steve Martin's last project as a cost cutting measure was probably something they didn't want to fuck around with from a PR standpoint. It feels very much like a show that's gonna end when they want to end it.

Doctor DetroitRhesus Positive
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I know it was hitting season four, and that likely means big pay raises, but the core cast of Only Murders in the Building is pretty small, Hulu seems to consider it a pretty big hit, and also canceling what is probably Steve Martin's last project as a cost cutting measure was probably something they didn't want to fuck around with from a PR standpoint. It feels very much like a show that's gonna end when they want to end it.

I assume the 3 leads aren’t doing this because they need the paycheck.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

I assume the 3 leads aren’t doing this because they need the paycheck.

Presumably they aren't turning down the paycheck, either, especially since the show seems to be pretty successful.

ZonugalRingoRaijin QuickfootPeenCommander ZoomRhesus PositiveMagellMunkus Beaver
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Okay. I am actually getting a little annoyed that I’m able to immediately guess the murderer in a crime show the very second they appear on screen.

It is getting a little tiring

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Okay. I am actually getting a little annoyed that I’m able to immediately guess the murderer in a crime show the very second they appear on screen.

It is getting a little tiring

Try "The Afterparty," IMO they do a pretty good job concealing it

Doctor DetroitA Dabble Of Thelonius
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So the Drew Carrey stuff during the strike, combined with having my plex set up as an OTA DVR now got me to check out the price is right.

First off, isn't he in SAG? Surprised he's doing this show.

Secondly, not sure I'm a huge fan of the extremely bold colors.

Third, man, they've got some serious eye candy for both genders now.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I can't say for sure but I'm assuming game show/talk show hosts aren't SAG gigs just based on how many other hosts were able to stay on the air during the strikes and not be considered scabs. Could be totally wrong about that though, I'm very dumb.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    they could have also filmed the episodes pretty far out, but who knows.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    ReynoldsMagellMunkus BeaverSleep
This discussion has been closed.